Normandy D-Day Beaches

Treasure Hunter

We did an around-the-British-Isles cruise in 2014 and LeHavre was our last port of call before returning to Southhampton. We did a private excursion there. From looking at my journal from that cruise, it looks like it was Bayeaux Shuttle. They picked us up at the ship about 8:20 and we drove about 1 1/2 hrs. to the German Cemetery at LaCambe.  We then went to Grandcamp-Maisy, then Pointe du Hoc. We walked around that area which was really interesting and had gun emplacements that appeared in the original "The Longest Day" movie. We were able to go into one of the German bunkers there. We left Pointe du Hoc and went to Omaha Beach. We had lunch at a little lunch wagon there, then our guide took to the beach and told us everything about it. (It really helped that we re-watched the original "The Longest Day" just before the cruise--it made it easier to visualize what happened there.) After Omaha Beach, we went to the American Military Cemetery. Such a beautiful, impressive place! After leaving there, we went to Arromanches to see the remains of the artificial harbor built by the British. We returned to the ship, arriving about 6 PM.

It was an amazing day and one of the highlights of a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

I did a private tour from Cherbourg, France (a little bit closer than Le Harve. I absolutely loved the tour. Definitely worth it.

I do like river cruises but wouldn't like the one on the Mississippi. The European ones are great.

Edited by Coral

Just a caution about booking a whole cruise just for one excursion. On our British Isles cruise, Le Havre was missed because the French dockworkers were on strike. They do that a lot. Today’s news from France is not reassuring. If you really just want to do one thing, make your plan to do that thing; don’t risk not seeing it. There were a lot of awfully disappointed folks on our ship. 

Loved every second of our British Isles cruise last year capped off by our last day in Le Havre touring Normandy. We also used Overlord Tours and I can’t say enough great things about them. Our guide was amazing. He had a true passion for WWII history and was a wealth of knowledge. It was an experience I will always remember and somewhere I hope to return one day. 

20 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Has anyone done this excursion from Le Havre? How was it. Thinking about booking a cruise specifically for this. Currently on Viking Mississippi and have decided that I hate river cruises. 

Have done several cruises that have passed through this area, stopping in Le Havre and Cherbourg (and 1 river cruise) and each time done tours of the beaches, towns and cemeteries connected with D-Day.  I have never grown tired of seeing these hallowed grounds and would book another cruise or land tour without hesitation to go again.  We've done ship's tours and private tours and each time learned something new.  I favor the private tours as they are typically smaller and can get to more places quicker than the bigger buses.  The guides are professional, know their history, know the small places for food and interesting side notes.  I have always marveled at the way the people there have preserved and cared for the memories and places that are so meaningful to so many.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Has anyone done this excursion from Le Havre? How was it. Thinking about booking a cruise specifically for this. Currently on Viking Mississippi and have decided that I hate river cruises. 

We were on a Celebrity cruise trans Atlantic.  The last stop was Le Havre before getting into London.

We have no plans do go to Europe again, but if we did I would not go if I couldn't include Le Havre and do a tour of Normandy again.  We used the ships excursion and it was the highlight of the trip.  

No matter which company you use - it is a must.

Agree with above posts, excellent visit. We joined a group on a private tour with Overlord. Our hosts wanted to visit St Mere Eglise, they had a connection to the 82 / 101 Airborne and wanted to visit the museum there. The cost was roughly the same as Overlord general tour but a little more flexible. We included Pointe Du Hoc, Omaha Beach and American Cemetery.

Our tour of Normandy, which covered the beaches and the American Cemetery, also included the Memorial de Caen.  This museum details the origins of WWII and on into the Cold War.  The display I found most fascinating was the split screen movie of D-Day.  One side shows the allied side of the battle and the other shows much of the same scenes from the German perspective. After watching the film I am amazed that anyone survived the fighting.      I have not seen the museum mentioned by anyone recently so not sure if it is no longer on the tour itineraries or what.  If you get the opportunity it is well worth the visit.

• Like 1

We did the British Isles cruise back in 2019.  We were at Normandy the day before the 75th anniversary of DDay. Lots of special activities and displays.  It appeared that anybody from anywhere in Europe that had WWII vehicles were invited to come and set up.  As we were leaving we actually caught some practice jumps from planes by reenactment paratroopers.  TONS of people dressed in old GI uniforms.  It was really special!

20190604_113309.jpg

20190604_121351.jpg

20190604_125058.jpg

20190604_125502.jpg

20190604_132707.jpg

• Like 2

I honestly wish everyone could go to these sites to learn and understand what happened beyond what we learned in classes. It is so moving and so powerful to be there in person. Words can not describe it. Even pictures can not describe it.

If anyone is hesitating on going - I would recommend doing it. Is so so worth it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was there a month before the 75th anniversary in 2019 on a Norwegian cruise. Visited Cherbourg,  the American Cemetery, Pont-du-Hoc and Omaha Beach. The experience was unforgettable. It will be one of the most poignant moments of your life. I will return. 

This topic has me reminiscing over my many photos from my many visits to the D-Day beaches in Normandy. 

One of the most memorable and touching spots we visited, 1 week prior to the 70th anniversary, was the church in the commune of Angoville-au-Plain, where it is said a miracle occurred during 3 days of intense fighting between members of the US 2d Battalion, 501st PIR, 101st Airborne and elements of the German 6th Parachute Regiment, 2d Parachute Division.  The commune changed hands between the Americans and Germans several times in these 3 days; there were many wounded GIs, Germans and French civilians being cared for by 2 US medics in the church of the commune.  While battles raged around the church, the church itself became a haven for wounded from all sides, who only had to lay their weapons down before entering; all were treated equally by the 2 medics.  Whenever the Germans occupied the commune, realizing that the medics were caring for friend and foe alike, they left the church and all in it alone.  There is the story of a German mortar round that fell on the church, through the roof and onto the stone floor among the wounded, shattering the stone but not exploding; the roof and floor have never been repaired.  "Sacred blood" stains from the wounded are preserved on the pews and floor and were still visible in 2013.  Unknown to the 2 medics and the combatants, the church was built during the 11th century in honor of Saints Cosmas and Damian, twins who are patron saints of physicians and surgeons.

These are the kinds of places and memories that are found throughout this region.  Seeing for ourselves the places where our fathers and grandfathers, uncles, cousins, brothers and friends made sacrifices unimaginable to many of us helps in understanding those who are doing the same thing today for us.  I'll be back to this region again and hope to visit and re-visit others where Freedom has been won and defended so I can say "Thank you".

• Like 3

We booked two cruises going to LeHavre and the port was cancelled on both cruises due to weather and the difficulty of accessing the port.  I highly recommend doing a land tour if Normandy is your “must” stop.  After our two attempts we traveled on our own to Normandy for 2 weeks and wish we had more time.  We had a private guide for two days just for the D-Day highlights alone. I agree with Ellipooh - post #7.  Don’t be disappointed.

As you are coming a long way why not get the train from London to Paris. You can then visit Paris and do a day trip or mini trip to Normandy. I would never take a trip just for one port as you could have bad weather and miss it.