Gratuities

SailorJack

9 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We tip the butler a minimum of $100 for a 10 day cruise.  Just how much depends on how good he is (actually we have only ever had one poor one!).  Steward/ess gets $50 or so, also "depending".  We are not used to tipping but we do understand that on a ship, even when tips are included, something additional for special crew members is appreciated.   For the rest we have given to the Crew Fund (via the Reception Desk).  Maybe $50/cruise.

We also tipped our Butler $100 for a ten day cruise, but gave our cabin attendant $150 since they worked a lot harder than the butler. 

• Like 3

My issue with the auto-grats  and some lines not divulging information about the program is that I am not confident the entirety of the money goes to the crew.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are many lines that are taking 10%?-20%? or more off the top as an administration/accounting/payroll burden.   The "vig" if you will.

If lines would come out and unequivocally state the entirety of the grats collected are returned to the crew, I think most people would have no issues with this type of program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WayneLaR said:

My issue with the auto-grats  and some lines not divulging information about the program is that I am not confident the entirety of the money goes to the crew

For some reason this is not a problem for me. I'm not in charge of this dept. If the employee is happy with the arrangement or unhappy with the arrangement, I let that be between them and their employer. 

Why does it matter to you? 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WayneLaR said:

My issue with the auto-grats  and some lines not divulging information about the program is that I am not confident the entirety of the money goes to the crew.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are many lines that are taking 10%?-20%? or more off the top as an administration/accounting/payroll burden.   The "vig" if you will.

If lines would come out and unequivocally state the entirety of the grats collected are returned to the crew, I think most people would have no issues with this type of program.

Do your local restaurants give you the break down?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You missed the point.  I didn't mention anything about a breakdown.  I'm not interested how it is divided, only that it all goes to crew.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It was only the other week when one actually did. We were chatting with the owner about the decline in tipping in the UK - a recent study has shown that only about 30% of  customers tip and the practice has all but died out amongst the under 30s. He generally agreed that was his experience. We then got on a wider conversation where he mentioned that tips paid by card are distributed amongst all staff - kitchen as well as front of house. Whereas tips paid in cash are only distributed amongst front of house. I didn't ask why the difference, thinking it none of my business. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WayneLaR said:

You missed the point.  I didn't mention anything about a breakdown.  I'm not interested how it is divided, only that it all goes to crew.

No I did not miss the point

You could  ask the powers that be  at the cruise lines   how they are distributed

I personally dislike the entire communistic concept of pooled tips. The wait team across the restaurant did absolutely nothing for me. Why should any part of my tip to my waiter go to them? Some waiters will only work in venues where tips are pooled and shared. Others will only work in venues where they get what they earn.

When I walk into a new restaurant, I grade them on food and service quality. I don’t obsess over tipping policy, or ask how it’s administered there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

When I walk into a new restaurant, I grade them on food and service quality. I don’t obsess over tipping policy, or ask how it’s administered there. 

Same, and similarly I don't obsess over the overhead costs built into the prices on the menu because it simply doesn't affect my dining experience.  

• Like 1

I don't obsess on the cost of a meal and, really, am only interested in whether I had a nice time. I'm not at all interested in the breakdown of the cost knowing it will be divided between food costs, employment costs, overheads and owners profit. I'm not really fussed whether part of the employment cost is by cash tips, service charges or, as a number of European countries, all covered in the menu price. It's all a price to be paid. Of course, sometimes, I do reflect on whether I felt the cost was value for money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can you transfer a booking from one TA to another?  I'm being offered PPG for 2 plus $1500 for my cruise from one TA and my existing TA is only offering $700 plus PPG for 2.  The problem is my cruise doesn't have any more B cabins and the A3 is $2000 more.  This is my first Oceania cruise and it's just over $26,000.  The itinerary is fantastic and that is for 3 in a cabin but it's significantly more than anything I've ever spent on a cruise before so I'd like to get the best deal possible.

1 minute ago, babydrum said:

Can you transfer a booking from one TA to another?  I'm being offered PPG for 2 plus $1500 for my cruise from one TA and my existing TA is only offering $700 plus PPG for 2.  The problem is my cruise doesn't have any more B cabins and the A3 is $2000 more.  This is my first Oceania cruise and it's just over $26,000.  The itinerary is fantastic and that is for 3 in a cabin but it's significantly more than anything I've ever spent on a cruise before so I'd like to get the best deal possible.

You could if your TA agrees to release the booking to the other TA  but if more than 30 days  the new TA may not get any commission

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

You could if your TA agrees to release the booking to the other TA  but if more than 30 days  the new TA may not get any commission

That certainly does not seem like a fun conversation! 

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think it is 30 days today. I'll be more selective in the future.

• Like 1

Or you might continue to get even better services from your current TA as opposed to the one trying to buy your business. TA’s who specialize in O can often get other benefits and services for you beyond SBC.  Want some extra SBC, buy 100 shares of NCLH and if your trip is over 14 days, Oceania will add $250 to your on board account. Now I am not a Stock Broker nor giving investment advice, just a way to get SBC and just maybe be a few bucks ahead down the road. I bought mine at $10 and I’m not selling, just adding my Shareholder SBC onto every Oceania trip I take. One more thought, when on your cruise, visit with the Oceania Club Ambassador and book a future cruise or two or… the discount, deposit and SBC offered is 👍👍💰 and you do not have to tie it to the first TA if they have not given you the level of service you expect.

Enjoy your cruise,

Mauibabes

33 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Or you might continue to get even better services from your current TA as opposed to the one trying to buy your business. TA’s who specialize in O can often get other benefits and services for you beyond SBC.  Want some extra SBC, buy 100 shares of NCLH and if your trip is over 14 days, Oceania will add $250 to your on board account. Now I am not a Stock Broker nor giving investment advice, just a way to get SBC and just maybe be a few bucks ahead down the road. I bought mine at $10 and I’m not selling, just adding my Shareholder SBC onto every Oceania trip I take. One more thought, when on your cruise, visit with the Oceania Club Ambassador and book a future cruise or two or… the discount, deposit and SBC offered is 👍👍💰 and you do not have to tie it to the first TA if they have not given you the level of service you expect.

Enjoy your cruise,

Mauibabes

My TA matched the other TA offer so I'm getting the $1500 and the PPG for 2.  I felt manipulated because my TA made it seem like they were giving me the PPG and I read on another thread that OCAPP means it came from Oceania not the TA.  My TA wasn't being straight with me because I didn't know anything about the system since I've not used one since the internet became popularized.  Someone on CC said, "you're leaving money on the table" so I decided to try one this time and he was correct.  Just learning as I go but I do love these boards because everyone is so willing to share their knowledge of the industry and specific cruise lines and it's so helpful to people like me.  

Glad your Travel Agency made their offer and it worked out well for you. My other comments still hold true, NCLH is at $18 so getting $250 is a nice ROI and if you really enjoy O and book more cruises, you will gain even more SBC every time you sail. 
Enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

44 minutes ago, babydrum said:

My TA matched the other TA offer so I'm getting the $1500 and the PPG for 2.  I felt manipulated because my TA made it seem like they were giving me the PPG and I read on another thread that OCAPP means it came from Oceania not the TA.  My TA wasn't being straight with me because I didn't know anything about the system since I've not used one since the internet became popularized.  Someone on CC said, "you're leaving money on the table" so I decided to try one this time and he was correct.  Just learning as I go but I do love these boards because everyone is so willing to share their knowledge of the industry and specific cruise lines and it's so helpful to people like me.  

You are getting PPG plus $1500  & you are upset because the TA  did not take it out of their pocket ???

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You are getting PPG plus $1500  & you are upset because the TA  did not take it out of their pocket ???

No, I'm thrilled and I could care less where it came from.  It only mattered when I was negotiating with them.  When I initially booked, my price was $23,998 and they offered me $900 OBC.  The cruise was in November 2024 and I said great!  I found this one in May which was around $3000 more, had a better itinerary and decided to book it instead and they told me they could give me PPG + $700.  I was even more thrilled.  When I showed them the offer from the other TA, they tried to convince me that their offer was better.  When I explained that I knew both companies were offering the PPG as a freebie from Oceania so the only real question was the amount of the SBC, they realized that I had learned something from somewhere and they offered to match the $1500.

I was only upset because I felt like they were not being honest with me.  If you don't want to match it, say so but don't try to convince me that an offer worth $2420 is worse than an offer worth $1650.  

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, LHT28 said:

I do not think they take credit cards  but you never know 🤔

Not sure about Oceania but on NCL where we have had up to 6 Haven Suites.......I have often gone to the Purser and had the gratuities placed on the onboard accounts....so this would pretty much be the same as using your credit card.....worth looking into as with 6 Suites, that involved more cash than I often had LEFT after gambling for a couple of weeks! lol....and the ability of adding gratuities to the shipboard accounts also enabled us to designate to whom these amounts were going.....i.e. Butler, Cabin Steward, Cabin Steward assistant......

7 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

Not sure about Oceania but on NCL where we have had up to 6 Haven Suites.......I have often gone to the Purser and had the gratuities placed on the onboard accounts....so this would pretty much be the same as using your credit card.......

I meant the butler  I was being  facetious 🙄

Never had a problem giving cash to the  staff   for extra tips that way I know they get it

On 7/5/2023 at 12:59 PM, Hambagahle said:

Yes it does.  But at least things here are fair.  And workers have proper vacation time, health insurance etc.  (And actually things here are not nearly as expensive as they seem IF you know what is included or not!  Sales tax for starters...)

I do have to weigh in on all this. I was a server for my working life & did quite well. I had insurance (& paid vacation.. I did well enough to buy income property that I now live very comfortably on. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, redraider1966 said:

Plus 1.  We base our tip on the amount before taxes, being careful about the charge for any alcohol purchases.  If the restaurant offers a "suggested" tip, presumably to make it easier on the customer to determine the appropriate amount, we look closely at the amount on which the "suggested" tip is based before accepting the "suggestion."

You are doing all this on TOP of the amount charged for gratuities by O?