2nd Order of Steak/Lobster is an up-charge now!

KarmaCruisers

Didn’t believe my eyes…tonight, in the MDR (Concerto on Regal Princess) it was Gala night..so I was looking forward to ordering the Steak&Lobster tail...to my shock; if I wanted a second order of it, I’d have to pay $10.

Now, as many of you know; if you like Lobster; the ONE they give you; is very small. LUCKILY my wife doesn’t eat seafood so she ordered the Steak&Lobster and gave me her lobster tail.

I know, before they did cut it back to; if you wanted a THIRD order, you’d have to pay..but a SECOND!?

Anyone else see this recently?

Yes, this has been posted before and IMO guests should complain about the following:

If a guest orders steak and lobster, NP.

If a guest orders lobster, they only get one crummy tail??!!  That guest ought to be getting two tails since they aren't having the steak.  It's only fair IMO.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, this has been posted before and IMO guests should complain about the following:

If a guest orders lobster, they only get one crummy tail??!!  That guest ought to be getting two tails since they aren't having the steak.  It's only fair IMO.

As well a good point if you’re a pescatarian…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KarmaCruisers said:

religion is not discussed on these boards 😉  I had to look that word up when those commercials started appearing...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

31 minutes ago, voljeep said:

religion is not discussed on these boards 😉  I had to look that word up when those commercials started appearing...

If your from the Midwest..Beef *is* a religion haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:
1 hour ago, KarmaCruisers said:

😅🤣😂 needed a good laugh today 😆 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

On the Enchanted in March, we ordered 2 lobsters instead of steak and lobster and we were not charged extra. Maybe they have changed it AGAIN.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Didn’t believe my eyes…tonight, in the MDR (Concerto on Regal Princess) it was Gala night..so I was looking forward to ordering the Steak&Lobster tail...to my shock; if I wanted a second order of it, I’d have to pay $10.

Now, as many of you know; if you like Lobster; the ONE they give you; is very small. LUCKILY my wife doesn’t eat seafood so she ordered the Steak&Lobster and gave me her lobster tail.

I know, before they did cut it back to; if you wanted a THIRD order, you’d have to pay..but a SECOND!?

Anyone else see this recently?

Yes, that has been the case since earlier this year.

This has been the case for some time.  It was true in early 2020 when we did a B2B on the Sky and was also true last January on the Enchanted.  If I recall correctly, we have also had cruises where they did not serve lobster at all (substituting very nice prawns).  BTW, my Dad and I had steak and lobster twice on our last cruise, once at the Crown Grill and once in the MDR.  The lobster was significantly better in the MDR much to our surprise (the MDR was a night after the Crown Grill so no unreasonable expectations for our Crown Grill meal factored in).

It amazes me that many have not learned a thing about covid and supply problems.

The supply problems still exist today especially in the cruise industry.

Having my other half who works in the industry supply two of the major brands with food/supplies I have heard the stories.

There are many factors that play into this. If the supplier can't get it then they can't send it or if they can get a small amount they send that.
Food orders have to be submitted 88 days before sail date. This is in order so the company hopefully has enough time to get the requested items.

I will give you examples. Bird Flu went through Canada and the US recently. Eggs could not be shipped from the US to Canada or Canada to the US because of this. This would include items onboard a ship.
Now that the new California Law on Pork will soon take effect this will cause Pork problems onboard ships from California.
There has been Beef problems as well due to low cattle count because of high prices.

I recently did a transpacific cruise where we ran out of many food items 5 days before our next port. The reason was 3 or 4 containers of food never made it to Sydney due to shortages.

This past winter Yuma AZ which is the lettuce capital of North America in the winter had to give up planting 2 crop cycles due to shortage of water. How do we replace that?

All Salmon fishery on the west coast was put on hold until a week or so back. The only Salmon available was farmed. 

King Crab fishery is closed for at least another year. King Crab from Argentina/Chile has been brought north but people are not liking it because it is more spiny than the Alaska crab.

The Lobster fishery is the same on the east coast.

So how does a cruise line solve this, either stop it all together or charge for it hoping that discourages passengers from asking for 2.

This is just a small sample of what is done to replenish a ship.

Edited by Seacruise
Posted before finished
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 8

36 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

It amazes me that many have not learned a thing about covid and supply problems.

The supply problems still exist today especially in the cruise industry.

Though when the supply change improves, I doubt these extra charges will go away.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

Something like going back to morning and evening Room Attendant service....😁

Well - that was sort of different. They couldn't get enough crew onboard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

But you can have unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts. 

If you're training/ athletic, you would need more protein/calories per day.  If you're in this category, head to the buffet for unlimited mains. 

No restrictions on any other mains besides the surf and turf ("Land and Sea") in the MDR, besides the upcharge steakhouse mains.

This isn't Carnival that charges extra for the third and subsequent mains.  Not that I've ever ordered more than 2 mains, before I get attacked for doing so.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

No restrictions on any other mains besides the surf and turf ("Land and Sea") in the MDR, besides the upcharge steakhouse mains.

This isn't Carnival that charges extra for the third and subsequent mains.  Not that I've ever ordered more than 2 mains, before I get attacked for doing so.

As a fat WASP; I need alllllll the food! Haha

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

That’s so insane what the pandemic did to the world…makes you wonder how the previous generations felt when they had to deal with the plague, etc…

Don’t think they were too worried about only one lobster. I’m sure they had other things to worry about.

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Well - that was sort of different. They couldn't get enough crew onboard.

How is it different? Not enough crew means a supply problem. If there isn't enough food then it means a supply problem.
The way to deal with it is through cutbacks such as less service or smaller portions or charge for an item.

• Like 1