Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

Guest Bronston

Update from last night……captain says work progressing nicely. Expects coast guard approval and departure at 4:00. (Unless….)

several passengers already departed/cancelled. Still no numbers given.

remaining passengers seem to be in a good mood considering. 

princess does need to provide some more flexibility to remaining passengers (no up charges, OBC, cover some of the crew gratuities)

The problem they have now is public image and current passengers are the only ones that can salvage lemonade from lemons. 

with insurance, rate hikes, cruise boom etc the losses of Princess will be absorbed easier than most think.

Princess is also missing an opportunity…..the northern lights are supposed to be visible on the 13th from Alaska/Canada. Princess should build upon that.

as a current passenger who is continuing on this abbreviated cruise, I am reminded of an old saying: “Never cry over spilt milk…….It could have been Bourbon!”

Edited by Bronston

37 minutes ago, Bronston said:

cover some of the crew gratuities

I don't think I would be expecting this one because I imagine you are still being fed and "watered" and cabin is being cleaned.  I also imagine the CD team is working extra hard these days with extra activities and trying to keep spirits up.

• Like 8

Guest Bronston
16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't think I would be expecting this one because I imagine you are still being fed and "watered" and cabin is being cleaned.  I also imagine the CD team is working extra hard these days with extra activities and trying to keep spirits up.

The distinction is being fed looking at San Francisco bums from the balcony for 3 days compared to ocean sea life. 

also note that Princess stated that they would review additional compensation requests. Don’t say it if you don’t mean it.

I think they do.

like anything else now…..this is still in the negotiation stage. Princess has breached their “promise”. (No need to say contract, the issue is fairness and their image).

is Princess really going to try and squeeze passengers who stay on board while also saying we can only request  appropriate additional comps only to be denied? 

princess is smarter than that. 

as for me…..I only expect fairness. As for Princess, they only expect time to pass quickly.

Edited by Bronston

30 minutes ago, Bronston said:

also note that Princess stated that they would review additional compensation requests. Don’t say it if you don’t mean it.

Wasn't that in reference to passengers who chose not to stay and may have incurred additional expenses in returning home beyond what Princess said they would cover?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bronston said:

The problem they have now is public image

Nah. Things happen and most reasonable people understand that. Slamming into the dock isn't a choice Princess made. It's a sorry ass situation for the pax onboard, but the biased POV of 3000 passengers doesn't represent the public at large.

I will be on Ruby in September. In my eyes, Princess' image is unchanged as a result of this incident. 

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, memoak said:

You would never get on board without a medallion or proof of passage

Of course not, but that doesn't mean that GS may decide to book someone onto the ship at the port.  It may not work, but if someone was interested yesterday and had a short drive with nothing to lose other than time and some gas, who knows?  @Cruise Raider was just wondering/speculating and if it were me - and I was interested to "drop and go", I'd really consider heading over there yesterday and finding out.

• Like 1

The video will be an important component of the USCG investigation. I would guess that Santa Clarita (PCL HQ) and Miami (CCL Corp HQ) will find it interesting as well. I see clearly what happened, but I still don't know why.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

The video will be an important component of the USCG investigation. I would guess that Santa Clarita (PCL HQ) and Miami (CCL Corp HQ) will find it interesting as well. I see clearly what happened, but I still don't know why.

Even to my untrained eye it's very interesting how the two approaches differ. I noticed the aft tug was on the port side in a push mode on the first approach and had to skedaddle when it became clear an allission was imminent. On the second approach it looks like the aft tug, now on the starboard side, has a line attached and is in no danger of being crushed. Hmm ...

Still, my eye is untrained and with only a couple of views I see differences but don't understand why ...

10 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Would you know if bridge activity is videoed? Or is it like on airliners with only a Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) in addition to a Flight Data Recorder (FDR)?

1 hour ago, Crystabel said:

Thanks for the video showing the collision!!

Reminds me of when I was learning how to dock a power boat in the SF Bay and the winds (20+ mph) would blow the boat right up against the dock even when I tried to apply power to move away from the dock.

Although one would hope an experienced pilot/captain would do better than a novice.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

I agree with your comments ... in the first approach, it appears as if the tug on the after port side pulls away, as if the tug Captain fears getting crushed between the ship and the pier. Also, during this first approach, it does not appear that there is any change in heading or speed of the ship as the allision becomes imminent. That to me, doesn't make sense. But, as is always pointed out on CC, conjecture is dangerous and can often be wrong. The bridge voice recordings will be most revealing when they are eventually released in the USCG accident/incident report.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, the bridge voice recorder is a component of the voyage data recorder VDR. I would be most interested in hearing (or viewing a transcript) of the dialogue between the Captain, Staff Captain and SF Bar Pilot, before, during and after the allision. I would also be curious as to the type of conversation between the three principals during today's 4pm (scheduled) departure on the bridge of Ruby Princess. I can only guess that it will be a different SF Bar Pilot than the one on Thursday morning ... but no conjecture on this either.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Just to be clear, the bridge voice recorder is a component of the voyage data recorder VDR. I would be most interested in hearing (or viewing a transcript) of the dialogue between the Captain, Staff Captain and SF Bar Pilot, before, during and after the allision. I would also be curious as to the type of conversation between the three principals during today's 4pm (scheduled) departure on the bridge of Ruby Princess. I can only guess that it will be a different SF Bar Pilot than the one on Thursday morning ... but no conjecture on this either.

Might help to brush up on Italian curse words ... even though the language on the bridge is supposed to be English (I think) I suspect in a situation like that, one's native language prevails for cursing.

• Haha 1

Because I wasn't familiar with the term "allision" as used by NavArch64, I did a little Google-fu to see what it meant.  I could figure the basic meaning out but wanted to learn more.  I came across the following from the law offices of what appears to be a personal injury firm that specialized in maritime injuries.  It had an interesting discussion of collisions and allisions at sea and the liability that arises from them.  

Our maritime experts might quibble with what's up on this law firm's site, but I thought it interesting.

Allision (Not Collision) Nautical Term Definition | Naylor Law

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

So...will adequate repairs be done in order to set sail today? 

The news reported that they received clearance from the Coast Guard this morning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3