How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

Sorry to be a priggish pedant, but so many people are writing 'flaunt' when the word they want is 'flout'.  To flaunt is to show off;  to flout is to disobey or ignore  rules.  (I don't feel too mean, since it is not just one person, but quite a few).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to be a priggish pedant, but so many people are writing 'flaunt' when the word they want is 'flout'.  To flaunt is to show off;  to flout is to disobey or ignore  rules.  (I don't feel too mean, since it is not just one person, but quite a few).

• Like 1

There are also several women who imo are seriously underdressed for a formal night. Striped sweater and slacks eg   Most women are dressed up in varying degrees. 

uh oh

another guy without a jacket

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

I stand corrected 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:14 AM, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m more worried about how underdressed I’ll make the rest of the room feel on my first Celebrity cruise next January when I turn up in my Bentley diamond velvet smoking jacket and Loubie dandelions. I’d hate to embarrass them. 

You show them Davey how it's done 👍 MDH would rather be overdressed than under any time ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Would never happen. That’s why I’m an over packer. I told you we are kindred spirits 

Over packer .. you should see our cases ... 2 big 1 middle & 2 carry on ... That's just for 12 nights 😄... I like to have options ( although the dresses have been on so many photos now over the last ooh don't want to say) .. 

2 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Over packer .. you should see our cases ... 2 big 1 middle & 2 carry on ... That's just for 12 nights 😄... I like to have options ( although the dresses have been on so many photos now over the last ooh don't want to say) .. 

you may have out packed me

46 minutes ago, bitob said:

There are also several women who imo are seriously underdressed for a formal night. Striped sweater and slacks eg   Most women are dressed up in varying degrees. 

uh oh

I don't get the sparkly top and black pants for formal either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

uh oh

I think I can top that. No jacket, no tie, on his cell phone in Atlantide. The woman next to us was in a nice casual top and jeans and she was from Italy. I am never bringing a tie again. 

IMG_3268.jpeg

I wonder if enforcement varies by ship - perhaps not officially but in practice.

On Silver Dawn last week:

We observed 3 occasions where the code was enforced, if very gently.  In 2 cases, the gentlemen were offered (and accepted) sport coats to enter, in the other we observed from a distance a character like @moofster85 captured but wearing a t-shirt was turned away from dinner in Atlantide.

37 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I wonder if enforcement varies by ship - perhaps not officially but in practice.

It certainly does on other RCG ships. 

Have often seen people here on CC say it doesn't matter who the captain is.  I often remind them that the Staff Captain and Hotel Director report to the captain. 

I usually am pointing out that how the staff and crew are treated by the captain, with his wishes communicated through the Staff Captain, will inevitably impact crew morale, and in turn, passenger experience.  Unhappy crew can only 'fake it' just so much.  But it is broader than that.

Application of pool deck and dining room rules also therefore flows from the captain who may take a Laissez-faire approach and leave it to his subordinates, or may instead make clear statements of expectations in these matters, lax or otherwise.

While captains do work at the pleasure of the line, it seems they are granted wider latitude in day to day operations than one might expect, corporate 'guidelines' notwithstanding.  This can lead to a sometimes surprising difference in approach to these and other things between ships of the same line.

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 2

I have only read the last few pages of this thread and I want to thank all those who contributed to my laughter and enjoyment, well done. 

I do have a question for the gentleman. My husband does not own a tux. He does own several lovely black suits which he wears on cruises and for other occasions. Are non- cruise lifestyle is very informal. We do have a long cruise coming up and our daughter is getting married. The thought of him wearing some polyester rental for her wedding makes me gasp. Where would you recommend shopping for a tux? It most be a nice breathable fabric and not a heavy wool (maybe a silk blend??) because his body temperature runs hot. His build is average to husky. Think Hickey Freeman and not Armani for cut. We live in LA so a lot of what I have seen when I am out and about is too hip and young. Looking more classic. Thanks for the help. 

2 hours ago, bitob said:

I am convinced that many cruisers just don’t do research. They have no idea what the dress code is or that it differs from cruise line to cruise line   I doubt these people are deliberately trying to flaunt the dress code. Easy to bring a sport jacket 

and I think this post sums up the entire thread....

Most SS cruisers do not use cruise critic and most have probably never been on the SS website or even read the fine print on their cruise documentation. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

and I think this post sums up the entire thread....

Most SS cruisers do not use cruise critic and most have probably never been on the SS website or even read the fine print on their cruise documentation. 

But you are reading the threads &  your contribution shows that you are willing to share your comments... It's just a bit of fun ... 

I like to follow certain aspects of the threads,it's something I can do while I'm thinking what in havens I'm I going to do today ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JSR said:

Where would you recommend shopping for a tux?

Find your closest Nordstrom store and have a chat with the gent's department there.  They sell a Hart Schaffner Marx tux that won't break the bank for a garment that won't get much use, and the wool might be lightweight enough for him. 

• Like 2

The dress code can change during a voyage. When on the Moon for 54 days there was no dress code on the first segment. Then the Hotel director changed and from there the dress code was enforced.

And some passengers do indeed try to flout the rules. Have seen a fellow told by the Maitre'D  in Atlantide that he needs a tie to enter and offered one. but he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a tie. The latest in wrinkled chic. Don't tell me he didn't know the dress code and always carries a tie in one pocket.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

But you are reading the threads &  your contribution shows that you are willing to share your comments... It's just a bit of fun ... 

I like to follow certain aspects of the threads,it's something I can do while I'm thinking what in havens I'm I going to do today ...

I am, like you, for a bit of fun and info. But as I said, the vast majority probably do not