If You Could Have JUST One, What Would It Be For Favorite Port, Favorite Ship and Favorite Room?

amygutman

As our family counts down to each cruise, I am on the CC Boards often soaking in the conversations, gathering tips, getting advice. Like many cruisers, we work hard so we can explore the world one port at a time and always looking for something new and exciting. Got to thinking, with so many amazing experiences, ships and locations, could we name JUST ONE favorite Port, Ship and Room? It's a tough call but here's our answers:

PORT: Hamilton, Bermuda. Loved it so much we moved there from NY and stayed for years. 

SHIP: NCL Gem. Great ship, crew and lovely Haven with an enclosed pool. It's the perfect size ship for us with fantastic itineraries.

ROOM: Haven 2 Bedroom Suite. 2 bathrooms (that view!), a private space for kiddo, awesome balcony, and right in the Haven complex. 

Very curious to hear about CC members' experiences and preferences. It's such a personal choice; there are probably 5 "almost but not quite favorite" ports, ships and rooms we could list, and willing to bet our upcoming NCL Encore DOS to Alaska room may trump the 2 bedroom.

What about you? Ready? Go! Pictures if you got 'em!

Warmest, Amy

Ro in Pool.JPG

Hamilton.JPG

gem pathroom.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, amygutman said:

As our family counts down to each cruise, I am on the CC Boards often soaking in the conversations, gathering tips, getting advice. Like many cruisers, we work hard so we can explore the world one port at a time and always looking for something new and exciting. Got to thinking, with so many amazing experiences, ships and locations, could we name JUST ONE favorite Port, Ship and Room? It's a tough call but here's our answers:

PORT: Hamilton, Bermuda. Loved it so much we moved there from NY and stayed for years. 

SHIP: NCL Gem. Great ship, crew and lovely Haven with an enclosed pool. It's the perfect size ship for us with fantastic itineraries.

ROOM: Haven 2 Bedroom Suite. 2 bathrooms (that view!), a private space for kiddo, awesome balcony, and right in the Haven complex. 

Very curious to hear about CC members' experiences and preferences. It's such a personal choice; there are probably 5 "almost but not quite favorite" ports, ships and rooms we could list, and willing to bet our upcoming NCL Encore DOS to Alaska room may trump the 2 bedroom.

What about you? Ready? Go! Pictures if you got 'em!

Warmest, Amy

Ro in Pool.JPG

Hamilton.JPG

gem pathroom.jpg

Port:   St.Georges, Bermuda. But don't think any but the smallest ships can get in there any longer.

Ship:   The Dawn. Just the right sized ship. Always enjoyed entertainment in the Atrium, especially

when Patti and Jose were playing!

Room:   Forward Club Balcony ( or mini-suite). It was the best we could afford!

• Like 2

Port: Sydney Australia, This one was simple. If only it wasn't so far away.   Ship: Star, Always seems to have great itineraries. And have made some great friends sailing on her. Room: Any unobstructed balcony, I am pretty easy to please. Any room on a cruise ship would do.

• Like 1

Port:  Olympia (Katakolon), Greece  A must do:  the excursion to Olympia

Ship:  Prima (really)… but they are all special in their own way

Cabin:  Club Balcony 2-3 decks under Pool Deck & Garden Cafe

The statue of Nike was a votive offering to Zeus from the Messenians and the Naupactians for their victory against the Spartans in the Archidameian war (most probably in

421 BC.).

67324EC4-28E2-467C-8D7D-5F31F3A5834A.jpeg

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2

What a refreshing thread?  I was expecting a brag-fest about the fanciest and most expensive cabins that folks have spent their kids' inheritances on.  Instead, the "who cares?" vote is prevailing two to one!! (I didn't really run the numbers and it's early on election night - we all know how that can work out🤣)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Port:  Bangkok (nudged other ports out bc we had an overnight)

Ship:  Any medium sized ship (I think bc they have more exotic itineraries)

Cabin:  Any one that gives us priority disembarkation to explore the ports 

sooner!

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Port: Skagway.  Nice little town to walk around and the beautiful train ride.

Ship: Bliss.  Nudges out Encore.

Room:  Dirt cheap Aft Balcony (first runner up - dirt cheap anything).  Cruising is NOT about the cabin for this sailor.

Curious minds wonder why Bliss nudges out Encore?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Curious minds wonder why Bliss nudges out Encore?

Excellent question!  It comes down to deck 17:

Bliss:

image.png.75c8346f230b43554af558426c6381ca.png

Encore:

image.png.d0d7b6bfc0367e063a8a2e0708c566dc.png

One of those is a lot more fun for me and attracts a lot less kids.  Of course, many (not me) detest the chandelier on the Encore as it gives them instant sea sickness, nausea for days and expensive medical bills.  That endears it to me! 😎  Also, the Bliss had fantastic entertainment (other than Six @YVRteacher) on my April B2B.  That is, of course, fluid.  Encore gave us Alexa in 2020.  You can't really top that. 

So yeah....  Wait, what was the question again?

They are both fantastic ships and I would sail on either one in a heartbeat.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Excellent question!  It comes down to deck 17:

Bliss:

image.png.75c8346f230b43554af558426c6381ca.png

Encore:

image.png.d0d7b6bfc0367e063a8a2e0708c566dc.png

One of those is a lot more fun for me and attracts a lot less kids.  Of course, many (not me) detest the chandelier on the Encore as it gives them instant sea sickness, nausea for days and expensive medical bills.  That endears it to me! 😎  Also, the Bliss had fantastic entertainment (other than Six) on my April B2B.  That is, of course, fluid.  Encore gave us Alexa in 2020.  You can't really top that. 

So yeah....  Wait, what was the question again?

They are both fantastic ships and I would sail on either one in a heartbeat.

Thank you! I think I would prefer Bliss too! Curious minds also wonder if Bliss has Vibe - just for future reference! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Thank you! Will have to look up where Bliss is sailing to. I don’t think I’ve seen her mentioned in any of the searches I’ve done. 

She generally spends the summers in Alaska.  April to October.  We were on her first two Alaska sailings this year and may do the same next year.  I need to check if my buddy @graphicguycan make it again. 😎

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

She generally spends the summers in Alaska.  April to October.  We were on her first two Alaska sailings this year and may do the same next year.  I need to check if my buddy @graphicguycan make it again. 😎

That’s good news. I’m hoping to go to Alaska next year!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

If you're traveling all the way from Ireland, I will strongly recommend a B2B.  Ain't nothin' finer than a B2B.  

disclaimer: yes, I realize that a B2B2B is finer, but that's another discussion

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Bliss sails from round trip from Seattle, Washington.  If you can extend your trip a few days to see the beautiful city of Seattle.

• Like 2