If You Could Have JUST One, What Would It Be For Favorite Port, Favorite Ship and Favorite Room?

amygutman

Port: Rome. Spent a lot of time there now and nothing like it for me. The combination of current day culture plus history is amazing.

Ship: Epic when it first came out. The shows were awesome, between Blue man group, cirque, and the other performers, and the specialty restaurant selection was great.

Cabin: Room in the Haven please.

I will say I'm interested in trying Virgin if I can find the right time / itinerary. Reminds me a lot of the way the Epic was at first. I'm just off the Encore and it's definitely gotten... boring. I'm also going on Prima in a month so we'll see how that is.

• Like 2

Very favorite place for me to eat is Ivar's Acres of Clams at Pier 54.  In the same location since 1938.  It is near the Washington State Ferry system teminal.  You can actually watch how the ferries are unloaded and loaded from Ivar's dining room windows.  Across Alaskan Way from the Marriott and at the other end of the Wateerfront area.

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, amygutman said:

JustHappy!!!! I am "SoHappy" myself that you had a great time. Hoping your lovely husband enjoied himself as well. It sounds like the ship exceeded your expectations!

Warmest, Amy

Last August my husband and I sailed the Encore to Alaska, we missed Skagway due to the rockslide. So my only visit to Skagway was in 2015 with my Dad and sisters on the Pearl. We are going back on the Encore next month and hopefully my husband will finally get to visit Skagway too. 
it reminds me so much of a mining town in Colorado we love that also has a well known train ride, Silverton Colorado.

I promised you a trip report and I still plan on delivering!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Very favorite place for me to eat is Ivar's Acres of Clams at Pier 54.  In the same location since 1938.  It is near the Washington State Ferry system teminal.  You can actually watch how the ferries are unloaded and loaded from Ivar's dining room windows.  Across Alaskan Way from the Marriott and at the other end of the Wateerfront area.

Enjoy

I second Ivars!

https://www.ivars.com/acres

• Thanks 1

Port: It's difficult  - too many that I love. 

Ship: Gem followed by the Spirit and Jewel 

Stateroom: Aft facing cabin. On the Gem and other Jewel class ships - on deck 10. They have a larger balcony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Oh. Dear. Lord....Cannot wait to see this amazing abomination in person 🤣

Atrium chandelier Nowegian Encore Photo Heatheronhertravels.com | Heather  on her travels

It’s permanently bubble-#rapped. 

My fave is the one on the Joy ….

IMG_8910.thumb.jpeg.e083234560127afb58abd2884c5cd0c4.jpeg

Edited by bluesea777
Edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So it looks like Skagway and Breakaway plus for the win?

So far....

But this thread is young...cannot wait to see further trends. Not sure of what the "n" for statistical analysis but loving the replies!

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Enjoy

We have that on our list. The chowder reminds us of "Cape Cod Style". Honestly, anything that has stayed in business since 1938 is definitely worth a try! 👍

58 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Last August my husband and I sailed the Encore to Alaska, we missed Skagway due to the rockslide. So my only visit to Skagway was in 2015 with my Dad and sisters on the Pearl. We are going back on the Encore next month and hopefully my husband will finally get to visit Skagway too. 
it reminds me so much of a mining town in Colorado we love that also has a well known train ride, Silverton Colorado.

I promised you a trip report and I still plan on delivering!

You ROCK!!!!

Cannot wait to hear about your adventures!

@amygutman okay, I’ll answer your questions but it’s hard ….

I’ve been on all the NCL ships except the Sky and Prima. Each ship has its own pros and cons. I have a few favorite itineraries and ports so it’s difficult for me to pick. 

I would say our new favorite is the Spirit - we were on her for 14 days last month, and also 17 days on her in Feb 2020.  Best forward Observation/Spinnaker lounge of all NCL ships, best aft Spice H2O. 

Best cabin: Club Balcony cabins on Breakaway Plus ships. 

Best port: too numerous to say. 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

She generally spends the summers in Alaska.  April to October.  We were on her first two Alaska sailings this year and may do the same next year.  I need to check if my buddy @graphicguycan make it again. 😎

I got some Cruise Next certificates left over.  Would love to cruise there again with you.  Had a great time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The Encore chandelier is an abomination that is not to be endured.  It has absolutely ruined many a cruise for the fragile among us.

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

Oh. Dear. Lord....Cannot wait to see this amazing abomination in person 🤣

Atrium chandelier Nowegian Encore Photo Heatheronhertravels.com | Heather  on her travels

When the pictures were first shown, I was the first to make a comment about what the chandelier looks like........

...a mod deleted the comment.....😉 

...but others noticed the same thing that I did.....

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When the pictures were first shown, I was the first to make a comment about what the chandelier looks like........

...a mod deleted the comment.....😉 

...but others noticed the same thing that I did.....

Exhibit A.  I told you folks that the chandelier caused people's heads to explode.  I can't wait to enjoy it again.  It is now something to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, amygutman said:

Hitting Amsterdam in February on MSC (please no hissing from the NCL crowds). Anne Frank house on the must-see list as I cannot think of a better way to show my child how beauty can survive tragedy. Any other recs in this port?

The Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum are also fantastic.

BTW, if you have on demand and the National Geographic Channel, be sure to watch A Small Light. It is about the Frank family and the people who hid them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Favorite port-St. Petersburg, but unfortunately, no one is going there any time soon or possibly ever again. So, for ports that still exist, going to Florence (though that is not actually the port).

Favorite ship--the very, very small Ocean Princess. Again, no longer a ship, or at least one in the Princess line. If I have to post an NCL ship, I hope after next month, I can say Prima.

Favorite cabin was on a Carnival ship where we ended up on the Lido deck after 2 upgrades. DW is a swimmer and loved being so near to the pool.

• Like 2

What an awesome thread idea!

Port: Sitka - just love that little Alaskan town with it's Russian influenced architecture

Ship: Pearl (so far) the Jewel class ships are just the perfect size for me

Room:  Aft Balcony - preferably decks 9 or 10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh!!! I love this thread. Thank you, @amygutman for putting us all on the spot. I love it. And I hate it. It's so difficult to answer and I've only been on five cruises (if you count my Carnival cruise - I try not to remember it). 

Port that I've been: - Harvest Caye. I know, I know...but when I'm on a cruise, the goal is to relax. I love the beach, volleyball, and floats. The food is better than most places on the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.4c08ef60d68af1e99e200979f89bc311.jpeg

Port I want to go: St. Petersburg (I'm glad others have said this). My husband is Russian and we were planning a trip there before the ridiculous unpleasantness that hit Europe. Winter Palace, canals, and so much history! Some day....some day. 

Ship: Well, I don't have a whole lot of experience! I've only sailed Carnival Triumph (thankfully not the poop cruise), NCL Getaway and NCL Joy. Getaway's thermal suite is stunning. Joy's Haven sundeck is amazing. I'm not so sure I can choose. If I absolutely have to choose, I think Shanghai Noodle Bar on Getaway sways my decision to Getaway. Still...I'll take a cruise on most any ship to almost anyplace in the world. 

Ship I want to cruise: Maple Leaf Adventure's Maple Leaf. It's a small sailing ship that plies the coast of British Columbia and Alaska. No thrills, just adventure and scenery. 

Room: Haven Aft-Facing Balcony with Master Bedroom on Getaway. Far and away the most luxurious room I've been on. Not for features, but for space, the balcony, and a shower window facing the sea. I'm onboard for the ocean and want to be connected. This rooms allows that connection. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9f0ba53bc0c1b25fc94c4957d98a0d25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.df7bbeaf29d367ce504ca12a01f10c7d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Port I want to go: St. Petersburg (I'm glad others have said this). My husband is Russian and we were planning a trip there before the ridiculous unpleasantness that hit Europe. Winter Palace, canals, and so much history! Some day....some day. 

This is #2 for me.  That "unpleasantness" needs to cease and desist because I am with you...some day some day St. Petersburg.   Also, while an aft balcony is my favorite accommodation I suspect it is only because I have yet to experience the Haven.  🤔

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Port I want to go: St. Petersburg (I'm glad others have said this).

Yes, yes, yes…was/is on our bucket list.  We’re saving the Baltic cruises with the hopes this port will be available again.   But as stated, more importantly, the hope that this world conflict will be resolved peacefully in the very near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1