If You Could Have JUST One, What Would It Be For Favorite Port, Favorite Ship and Favorite Room?

amygutman

2 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

What an awesome thread idea!

Port: Sitka - just love that little Alaskan town with it's Russian influenced architecture

Ship: Pearl (so far) the Jewel class ships are just the perfect size for me

Room:  Aft Balcony - preferably decks 9 or 10

I love Sitka but sadly it’s not on the itinerary for my Alaska cruise next month, we get Icy Strait YAWNING think I’ll just stay on the ship 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Favorite port-St. Petersburg, but unfortunately, no one is going there any time soon or possibly ever again. So, for ports that still exist, going to Florence (though that is not actually the port).

Favorite ship--the very, very small Ocean Princess. Again, no longer a ship, or at least one in the Princess line. If I have to post an NCL ship, I hope after next month, I can say Prima.

Favorite cabin was on a Carnival ship where we ended up on the Lido deck after 2 upgrades. DW is a swimmer and loved being so near to the pool.

Loved St Petersburg so glad we were there in 2018. I enjoyed so much I was researching a land vacation there as 2 days just wasn’t enough time but that’s not happening 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum are also fantastic.

BTW, if you have on demand and the National Geographic Channel, be sure to watch A Small Light. It is about the Frank family and the people who hid them.

A Small Light is heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. Beautiful documentary

Thank you

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Port, Naples. Because of the amount of things do do and see, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Portofino, Mt Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii oh and Naples too.

Ship, Oceania Rivieria

Cabin, Balcony, upper decks, mid ships.

Naples is on our bucket list too!!!

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh!!! I love this thread. Thank you, @amygutman for putting us all on the spot. I love it. And I hate it. It's so difficult to answer and I've only been on five cruises (if you count my Carnival cruise - I try not to remember it). 

Port that I've been: - Harvest Caye. I know, I know...but when I'm on a cruise, the goal is to relax. I love the beach, volleyball, and floats. The food is better than most places on the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.4c08ef60d68af1e99e200979f89bc311.jpeg

Port I want to go: St. Petersburg (I'm glad others have said this). My husband is Russian and we were planning a trip there before the ridiculous unpleasantness that hit Europe. Winter Palace, canals, and so much history! Some day....some day. 

Ship: Well, I don't have a whole lot of experience! I've only sailed Carnival Triumph (thankfully not the poop cruise), NCL Getaway and NCL Joy. Getaway's thermal suite is stunning. Joy's Haven sundeck is amazing. I'm not so sure I can choose. If I absolutely have to choose, I think Shanghai Noodle Bar on Getaway sways my decision to Getaway. Still...I'll take a cruise on most any ship to almost anyplace in the world. 

Ship I want to cruise: Maple Leaf Adventure's Maple Leaf. It's a small sailing ship that plies the coast of British Columbia and Alaska. No thrills, just adventure and scenery. 

Room: Haven Aft-Facing Balcony with Master Bedroom on Getaway. Far and away the most luxurious room I've been on. Not for features, but for space, the balcony, and a shower window facing the sea. I'm onboard for the ocean and want to be connected. This rooms allows that connection. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9f0ba53bc0c1b25fc94c4957d98a0d25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.df7bbeaf29d367ce504ca12a01f10c7d.jpeg

@cruiseny4life Awesome photos and recs. 

Yes...it's a really hard decision but isn't it great to have such amazing places in the world and on ships to see?

Harvest Caye is beautiful and thank you so much for the photos showing just why it's your favorite. 

34 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Shows what I know.  I thought those were rose buds.  Y'all got some (ahem) vivid imaginations!!!!

@graphicguy I saw a video once that described that chandelier as "techno-tampons".

Now - I dare you not NOT have that image in your brains 😁

• Haha 2

I'm going to be the party pooper.  I always think my NEXT cruise, the next port, the next cabin are going to be my fave.

If we're talking about so far.....my balcony cabin on the Bliss earlier this year was quite nice.  Sailing with a few of my closest cruise friends (looking at you @ChiefMateJRK and your charming wife) made it all the better.

First time I sailed a "big ship" a dozen years ago on the Epic was memorable.  Never had seen anything like that before.  First time I didn't have to pack a suit, dress shoes, tie, etc.  First time we never had to make reservations for anything.  That was an eye opener and forever changed the way I viewed cruising.

First time I sailed in the Haven was a little over 10 years ago to Bermuda on the Breakaway.  I know I'm a bumpkin, but that level of service was foreign to me.  That sort of cabin was foreign with the Concierges, the Butler and being in a Spa Suite, the jetted tub IN THE ROOM, was a treat.  Probably helped that my (then) GF and I were still in the throws of a fresh and new relationship.

Enjoyed sailing the GEM in an Aft Cabin, which was the first time for me.  We did a cabin crawl and finished with a party in the Haven Garden Suite complete with canapés and drinks served by the Butler.   That's where I met @mking8288 and his charming wife.  

Sailed the Breakaway  in a Balcony Cabin through New England, Portland and Bar Harbor.  Weather was perfect and the scenery stunning.  Had a grand time sailing with a group of us solos from Cruise Critic...including @JamieLogical, who was as nice and pretty as she seemed on line.

Other cruise lines....sailed the Allure of the Seas.  That was a wonder to behold, at first.  But, by the end of the week, it just felt like spending a week in a large mall.

Sticking with Royal, I had just turned Diamond right after the restart.  There were GREAT deals to be had for a cruise then.  I found one on the Ovation.  It was super cheap.  But, my first time I went into the Diamond Lounge I started conversing with a nice couple from MO.  Found out, the husband was a muscle car enthusiast, as am I.  We started sharing pictures of our latest "finds".  He was scrolling through them on his phone.  Until, he came to one of his wife (who was sitting 10' from us chatting with someone else) naked.  I'm not a prude so if someone is proud of their partner and wants to cary nude pictures of them, have at it.  I thought it was an accident and he had shown it to me by mistake.  Until, he kept scrolling showing different pictures of his wife posing naked.  He clearly wanted me to see them.  Feeling a little uncomfortable, I excused myself and left the Diamond Lounge.  Every time I saw him or his wife during the cruise, I walked the other way.

The deals were great at the time, so found a Retreat Suite on the Celebrity EDGE.  THAT is a great cabin.  And, the EDGE is a great ship.  Love me some Magic Carpet bar/restaurant time. Had the opportunity to meet and talk with Capt Kate often, who is an absolute joy.  Celebrity should pay her ALL the money to stay with them

Sailed MSC Divina when it first hit the U.S.   That was a great looking ship.  IT had the curved video dealing in the main promenade.  That was a "wow" moment.  The rest?  Not quite what I had hoped.  Although, because of price, I tried Meriviglia a little while later.  

Not in the category of "best", but certainly memorable.  I sailed Carnival Vista in their (then) new Havana Cabin.  Price was right and the cabin looked interesting.  The cabin had a "porch" where there was a hammock.  Problem, the porch overlooked an outside aisle that anyone had access to.  There was a gate to the porch, but it was only 2'-3' high.  So, you could reach over it, or climb over it to access my "porch".  First night, right after I had gone to bed, I heard a commotion outside on my porch.  It was 3 very drunk people on my porch trying to get into my hammock.  Funny at first.  Irritating the other 3 times drink people tried to do the same.  That was when I understood the Carnival fans.  Not casting stones.  Just a different demographic that I usually like to cruise.

All kinds of others I have.  But, those are off the top of my head.  There are others I've met from Cruise Critic and their omission was not intentional, as they are/were all great people.

Sorry for getting stream of conscious and wordy.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

Port: Any of the Southern Caribbean islands

Ship: Gem (although the other 3 Jewel Class ships are acceptable)

Cabin: As a solo, I'll take whatever is assigned on Sail Away Guarantee

Size, Great Outdoors and wrap around promenade deck!

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, njkate said:

Loved St Petersburg so glad we were there in 2018. I enjoyed so much I was researching a land vacation there as 2 days just wasn’t enough time but that’s not happening 

@ontheweb and @njkate I've never thought about St Petersburg and after reading so many people on this thread saying listing this port did a little web search for videos and site. Absolutely glorious. 

Cannot hold a people responsible for the actions of it's leaders, and hoping the war will end soon to protect lives, humanity and the beauty of places like this that should be freely shared with the world. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm going to be the party pooper.  I always think my NEXT cruise, the next port, the next cabin are going to be my fave.

If we're talking about so far.....my balcony cabin on the Bliss earlier this year was quite nice.  Sailing with a few of my closest cruise friends (looking at you @ChiefMateJRK and your charming wife) made it all the better.

First time I sailed a "big ship" a dozen years ago on the Epic was memorable.  Never had seen anything like that before.  First time I didn't have to pack a suit, dress shoes, tie, etc.  First time we never had to make reservations for anything.  That was an eye opener and forever changed the way I viewed cruising.

First time I sailed in the Haven was a little over 10 years ago to Bermuda on the Breakaway.  I know I'm a bumpkin, but that level of service was foreign to me.  That sort of cabin was foreign with the Concierges, the Butler and being in a Spa Suite, the jetted tub IN THE ROOM, was a treat.  Probably helped that my (then) GF and I were still in the throws of a fresh and new relationship.

Enjoyed sailing the GEM in an Aft Cabin, which was the first time for me.  We did a cabin crawl and finished with a party in the Haven Garden Suite complete with canapés and drinks served by the Butler.   That's where I met @mking8288 and his charming wife.  

Sailed the Breakaway  in a Balcony Cabin through New England, Portland and Bar Harbor.  Weather was perfect and the scenery stunning.  Had a grand time sailing with a group of us solos from Cruise Critic...including @JamieLogical, who was as nice and pretty as she seemed on line.

Other cruise lines....sailed the Allure of the Seas.  That was a wonder to behold, at first.  But, by the end of the week, it just felt like spending a week in a large mall.

Sticking with Royal, I had just turned Diamond right after the restart.  There were GREAT deals to be had for a cruise then.  I found one on the Ovation.  It was super cheap.  But, my first time I went into the Diamond Lounge I started conversing with a nice couple from MO.  Found out, the husband was a muscle car enthusiast, as am I.  We started sharing pictures of our latest "finds".  He was scrolling through them on his phone.  Until, he came to one of his wife (who was sitting 10' from us chatting with someone else) naked.  I'm not a prude so if someone is proud of their partner and wants to cary nude pictures of them, have at it.  I thought it was an accident and he had shown it to me by mistake.  Until, he kept scrolling showing different pictures of his wife posing naked.  He clearly wanted me to see them.  Feeling a little uncomfortable, I excused myself and left the Diamond Lounge.  Every time I saw him or his wife during the cruise, I walked the other way.

Sailed MSC Divina when it first hit the U.S.   That was a great looking ship.  IT had the curved video dealing in the main promenade.  That was a "wow" moment.  The rest?  Not quite what I had hoped.  Although, because of price, I tried Meriviglia a little while later.  

Not in the category of "best", but certainly memorable.  I sailed Carnival Vista in their (then) new Havana Cabin.  Price was right and the cabin looked interesting.  The cabin had a "porch" where there was a hammock.  Problem, the porch overlooked an outside aisle that anyone had access to.  There was a gate to the porch, but it was only 2'-3' high.  So, you could reach over it, or climb over it to access my "porch".  First night, right after I had gone to bed, I heard a commotion outside on my porch.  It was 3 very drunk people on my porch trying to get into my hammock.  Funny at first.  Irritating the other 3 times drink people tried to do the same.  That was when I understood the Carnival fans.  Not casting stones.  Just a different demographic that I usually like to cruise.

All kinds of others I have.  But, those are off the top of my head.  There are others I've met from Cruise Critic and their omission was not intentional, as they are/were all great people.

Sorry for getting stream of conscious and wordy.

@graphicguy

Not a party pooper at all. In fact - I loved this answer and am sure that fellow CC readers have as well. Its a HARD question and absolutely no right answer. 

Every answer is personal and because of that, wonderful. We cruise for experiences - honestly, why else spend the money? Sure - you could go to a 5 star resort or a hotel near your house for a stay-cation (which are awesome in their own ways), but part of cruising is not only to see the world but to meet other people and see the world through their eyes

Ultimately, I think that's why many if not all of us are on CC. We have questions about "who, what, where, why and who" for each cruise, line, port, restaurant, show....and we hope to get input from those who have experiences those things. Can the boards get heated, political and (occasionally) nasty? Yup. But I thought it would be fun and interesting to get to the heart of why we all pay good money to hop on a ship and explore a little corner of our beautiful world. 

As the good Mr Rogers said "It's the people that you meet each day", and I 100% agree. Can't wait to read more on this thread. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When the pictures were first shown, I was the first to make a comment about what the chandelier looks like........

...a mod deleted the comment.....😉 

...but others noticed the same thing that I did.....

The video mentioned Miami as the ship's home base.  I wonder if it ever has Tampa on it's schedule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, amygutman said:

Ok...have to know the "must eat at" restaurant in Seattle? We are there the day before our Alaska adventure in Sept and staying at the Pier 66 Marriot. Recommendations?

Since you're staying at the Marriott, Anthony's is just across the street from your hotel.  It may not quite measure up to Ivar's, but it's very good and a lot more convenient.

• Thanks 1

Port: New York City. I know many people only consider this an area to sail out of but to me the view of the Skyline on the left, Statue of Liberty on the right, and sailing under the Verrazzano Bridge and finally out into the open ocean can't be beat!

Ship: Tie between Escape and Bliss

Cabin: Aft Balcony viewing the wake..which can be mesmerizing.

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Ivar's.  At pier 54.

@amygutmanWe always stay at the waterfront Marriott. Ivars is good. we usually eat at the Hook and Plow   restaurant in Marriott, if we don't want fish. Everywhere is pretty expensive. 

Breakfast at Hook and Plow

Dinner at Hook and Plow Lasagna and Chicken Marsala

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_E2451 (2).JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

Edited by drumming cruisers
  • Like 2

Port:  Any port in Bermuda (have docked at The Dockyards, Hamilton and St. George)

Ship:  Escape

Cabin:   Haven Penthouse Suite on the Joy

Note:   We have only sailed on the larger ships for the past couple of years and have only done the Caribbean and Bermuda runs.  However, we are sailing a smaller ship (the Jewel) taking our first Alaskan cruise next month so maybe our favorites will change.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, njkate said:

We were there in 2017 on a cruise celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

A Small Light is heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. Beautiful documentary

Thank you

Yes, i wanted to cry in episode 7 (out of 😎 when the family was captured, even though I knew that that was going to happen.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, njkate said:

I love Sitka but sadly it’s not on the itinerary for my Alaska cruise next month, we get Icy Strait YAWNING think I’ll just stay on the ship 

We had to divert to Icy Strait due to the rockslide in Skagway last year. We walked the road into Hoonah Alaska and glad we did. The walk along the water is so beautiful and whales are often seen here. 
It is a town of mostly native Tlingit people 

and a rich history of its own if you strike up a conversation with a local.

Dont rule it out even if you don’t book an excursion for us it was still worth it.

Added some photos of the walk to Hoonah.

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

Edited by justhappy
Photos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justhappy said:

We had to divert to Icy Strait due to the rockslide in Skagway last year. We walked the road into Hoonah Alaska and glad we did. The walk along the water is so beautiful and whales are often seen here. 
It is a town of mostly native Tlingit people 

and a rich history of its own if you strike up a conversation with a local.

Dont rule it out even if you don’t book an excursion for us it was still worth it.

Added some photos of the walk to Hoonah.

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

Thanks! Maybe it was just the grossly overpriced boring NCl excursion, I think I’ll do this next month

• Like 2