The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 13th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Barbershop Music Appreciation Day, Embrace Your Geekness Day, and Fool's Paradise Day

Older people shouldn't eat health food, they need all the preservatives they can get. - Robert Orben

Meal Suggestion for today - Salmon Burgers
Drink of the Day - Peque Colada
Wine of the Day - Château La Gaffelière St.-Emilion 2019
Destination of the Day - Moorea Island, Society Islands, French Polynesia

Today in History:
1772 Captain James Cook begins his second voyage to the South Seas aboard the Resolution to search for Terra Australis (Southern continent)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 14 Jul

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 0700-1400

Rotterdam

Sandnessjoen, Norway 0800-1800

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 14 Jul

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

At Sea destination Quebec City, Quebec eta 14 Jul

Zuiderdam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 0800-1700

0713World.thumb.png.7cdd665fca1a16ceb3694f1c33404129.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Lots of rain here overnight, I think we've had enough, I wonder if Mother Nature agrees.

I'll pass on Barbershop music.  I guess we're all a geek in some way.  Some people live in a Fool's Paradise, I guess it's a nice place to visit.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today is supposed to be slightly cooler than yesterday’s 93F but with high humidity, the ac will remain on. The Alaska 2025 itineraries are available to see.  I’m planning on booking a 14 day in May 2025 while on the Zaandam later this month.  

I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.be0ff07bd486acc2dde2c05883f16c66.png

• Like 28

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

It is sunny and 70°F currently at 11.45am.

It was nice at the beach earlier this morning.

3 interesting days.

Prayers 🙏 for my friends who are unwell.

Take care and stay safe.

IMG_20230713_100707.jpg

Screenshot_20230713_114010.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  It will be a nice, sunny warm and humid day here, perfect for listening to barbershop music.  Funny quote today.  Not sure that I’d like today’s meal suggestion but I do like fish sandwiches.  I’ll have to wait on the drink until I see the recipe.  Haven’t been to today’s port but it’s on my bucket list.  Praying for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events.

• Like 25

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Barbershop music is rare these days but great music.  I need to celebrate Fools Paradise Day and find a good place to go when things are sad / depressing. (I think that’s what this day is.)

LOL on the quote 😂 I like salmon but salmon burgers?  I’ll see what Debbie offers recipe wise.  We went to Moorea but due to weather our itinerary was changed and we ended up there on a rainy day.  We still explored the island but all my pics are gloomy and grey.

IMG_3950.jpeg.aa11c10c583163cd222886db8c7d989c.jpeg

Sorry I wasn’t on yesterday - we decided to celebrate Ivan’s 9th birthday with me unwell and him worse and talks with the vet.  My day was a wreck.  He’s more himself now, thankfully.  Our best guess is that when he starts to feel better he overdoes and increases his pain so it is not controlled.  So, I’ll have to make sure he doesn’t overdo and we shall see.  As the vet said, he’s a roller coaster ride. At least with her help, we didn’t need to go to the emergency vet.

IMG_0781.thumb.jpeg.7f742239fd8c7667c6f98fded5fdbb51.jpeg

Looks like another scorcher here and sadly my morning is tied up with appointments & it will be hard to do much later.  ‘Sigh’

I will try to catch up with yesterday’s Daily - apologies if I missed anything or anyone this morning.  For those who have too much rain and hopefully recovering.

IMG_0775.thumb.jpeg.2e62402dd4eacb78eaf4b5499af4db2b.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those who are suffering loss and health problems & all those that need them.  Cheers to all celebrating 🥂 

IMG_3949.thumb.jpeg.b4822c2c94b97be46eb6c6a197d88171.jpeg

Have a good Thursday, everyone.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Good morning friends!  It's a warm morning, 72F and humid.  High will be 90 and mostly sunny.  A lot cooler than some of you will be today, so watch out for this heat wave.

Thanks Rich @richwmn  for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  A varied group of days to honor or celebrate.  Though it's not my favorite music I can tolerate hearing barbershop music, and feel like I'm not that geeky.  I read a description of fool's paradise day but it seemed too complicated for me this early in the morning to really get into it.  Maybe Graham @grapau27 will explain it all for us.  A funny quote for us this morning.😁  Lots of salmon recipes this week, so the salmon lovers should be happy.  I don't think I'd like the cocktail and have no idea about the wine but it could be pricey!  And hurray for explorers like Capt. Cook who bravely went searching for new lands.  Thanks in advance to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their explanations.

Prayers were said on the treadmill for our Daily Care list and I really hope that more of us can improve and be pain free.  For those who lost their loved one, I pray for peace and comfort for you all.  Hoping Baby Murphy is doing quite well and is home soon with her family.  🙏  Today is the first anniversary of my niece Amy's husband Buddy's death from throat cancer.  Prayers for her as she reflects on her life without him.  But let's rejoice with our friends on the Celebration list who have happier events to celebrate and for our cruiser Terri @Cruzin Terri and our future cruisers.  Have a wonderful time on the sea everybody!  I'll be joining you in a few weeks!🚢  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for taking care of the lists for us all.

Our port this morning is Moorea (Society Islands), French Polynesia.  We've had that port before on April 23, 2021 and March 28, 2023 so check these links for your photos and give us another chance to see them.  We've been to Moorea twice and enjoyed our time spent there, once on Golden Princess and another time on Maasdam.

We've been to Moorea twice, once on Golden Princess in 2014 and again on Maasdam in 2017.  In 2014 we went on a private tour with a CC group.  It involved a Polynesian BBQ, ray and shark feeding, sightseeing at a barrier reef, snorkeling, etc.  The day after this we were scheduled on a tour with Patrick in Bora Bora so they were essentially the same description tours, but Patrick's was much better!  Still, I can show you a few photos from Moorea.  

Arrival at the pier.enhance

Welcoming committee.enhance

Scenes along the way.enhance

enhance

Stingray feedingenhance

I was a little nervous watching this from the boat.enhance

I did go out when they spread out a little bit and that was fun, but when the sharks came I got back in the boat to watch.enhance

Arriving at the motu for the BarBQ.enhance

enhance

Not quite the same as Patrick's pig roast in a pit!enhance

enhance

enhance

The food and drink was good though, and after we ate you could take a little dip in the water to cool down.enhance

In 2017 on the Maasdam, we sailed from Papeete to Moorea in the early morning because they are only about 18 nautical miles apart.  A beautiful sunshine-y day!enhance

enhance

When we reached shore on our tenders we were met with dancers and musicians, local foods and lots of jewelry.  We stayed in town this day since we hadn't done that last visit.enhance

enhance

enhance

We bought a pair of black pearl earrings for me that day.enhance

We walked around the village and then peeped into the Ebenezer Church.  It was Easter Sunday.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And a look at a unique treat at dinner that night for Easter Sunday. enhance

Hoping everyone has a great day, staying safe and cool!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Not sure about Fool's Paradise but I'll embrace my geekness and enjoy Barbershop music.  I've been to Moorea a few times, always on Crystal.  Cook really got around, especially for navigating without modern instruments.  Interesting quote by Orben.  I'll pass again on the salmon.  Today's alternative is Cantaloupe boat, Chilled Blueberry Soup, and Quail with Apricot Bread Stuffing as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 13, 2011.

The humidity is cranking up earlier today so I'm about to head to the mall to walk.

Roy

• Like 30

Under happy events, for me yesterday it was when talking with DD and she said I'll send you a picture of Sadie and Milo - they went to the groomer today and are so darn cute!  Well, I have to agree!  They do look adorable in this photo.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTdzhDjXvRdSLAeVhIAUSpUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1689208971

Milo is on the left.  He is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 13 pounds.  Sadie on the right is 15 1/2 months old and weighs 17 pounds.  Milo is nearly as tall as she is, DD says.  They are half brother and sister and their breed is cavapoo.

And that is my good news photo of the day.  Makes ME smile at least.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a warm morning, 72F and humid.  High will be 90 and mostly sunny.  A lot cooler than some of you will be today, so watch out for this heat wave.

Thanks Rich @richwmn  for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  A varied group of days to honor or celebrate.  Though it's not my favorite music I can tolerate hearing barbershop music, and feel like I'm not that geeky.  I read a description of fool's paradise day but it seemed too complicated for me this early in the morning to really get into it.  Maybe Graham @grapau27 will explain it all for us.  A funny quote for us this morning.😁  Lots of salmon recipes this week, so the salmon lovers should be happy.  I don't think I'd like the cocktail and have no idea about the wine but it could be pricey!  And hurray for explorers like Capt. Cook who bravely went searching for new lands.  Thanks in advance to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their explanations.

Prayers were said on the treadmill for our Daily Care list and I really hope that more of us can improve and be pain free.  For those who lost their loved one, I pray for peace and comfort for you all.  Hoping Baby Murphy is doing quite well and is home soon with her family.  🙏  Today is the first anniversary of my niece Amy's husband Buddy's death from throat cancer.  Prayers for her as she reflects on her life without him.  But let's rejoice with our friends on the Celebration list who have happier events to celebrate and for our cruiser Terri @Cruzin Terri and our future cruisers.  Have a wonderful time on the sea everybody!  I'll be joining you in a few weeks!🚢  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for taking care of the lists for us all.

Our port this morning is Moorea (Society Islands), French Polynesia.  We've had that port before on April 23, 2021 and March 28, 2023 so check these links for your photos and give us another chance to see them.  We've been to Moorea twice and enjoyed our time spent there, once on Golden Princess and another time on Maasdam.

We've been to Moorea twice, once on Golden Princess in 2014 and again on Maasdam in 2017.  In 2014 we went on a private tour with a CC group.  It involved a Polynesian BBQ, ray and shark feeding, sightseeing at a barrier reef, snorkeling, etc.  The day after this we were scheduled on a tour with Patrick in Bora Bora so they were essentially the same description tours, but Patrick's was much better!  Still, I can show you a few photos from Moorea.  

enhance

Stingray feedingenhance

I did go out when they spread out a little bit and that was fun, but when the sharks came I got back in the boat to watch.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The food and drink was good though, and after we ate you could take a little dip in the water to cool down.enhance

In 2017 on the Maasdam, we sailed from Papeete to Moorea in the early morning because they are only about 18 nautical miles apart.  A beautiful sunshine-y day!enhance

enhance

When we reached shore on our tenders we were met with dancers and musicians, local foods and lots of jewelry.  We stayed in town this day since we hadn't done that last visit.enhance

enhance

enhance

We walked around the village and then peeped into the Ebenezer Church.  It was Easter Sunday.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Great photos of Moorea. One of our favorite places in the world. Been there four times and have done same tour, 5-6 hours snorkeling with sharks & stingrays, snorkeling between motu and lunch at motu. Way back in 2008 the tour was through HAL at $165 per person. Next three times at Moorea did same tour via independent route and it was $55-$72. 

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Peque Colada cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
3/4 part Lime Juice
1/2 part Pineapple Juice
1/2 part Coco Lopez®
Cream of Coconut
Splash
Simple Syrup
Pineapple Wedge

Instructions
Combine all ingredients. Shake well. Strain and serve over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with pineapple.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 7.30.30 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good morning everyone. Another very hot day. I think my car is overheating and have to check it out. The other day my carbon dioxide alarms both went off and I needed the handyman to come and replace them. Something is always needing attention.

Stay safe and cool,

Carol

• Like 25

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Mamofami’s friend Judi on 7/7

The passing of JazzyV’s friend Ruth on 7/11 

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, improving

Catmando’s (Chuck’s) DM Norma in the hospital with a UTI

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Kazu’s Ivan with health issue

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Marshhawk with pinched nerve

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

NextOne’s good news about the pathology report

Denise T and Norseh2o booking new cruises

Engagement of Ottahand7’s niece and RMLincoln’s DGD

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  An strange group of days, a guess I have a little bit of geek in me but I really don't care for barbershop music and I don't think I live in a Fool's Paradise.  Pass on the salmon and the cocktail but today's vino will be nice, a Merlot based St. Emillion wine.  Thanks for the Moores photos Sandi and look forward to more, we are going there in February 2025.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine. 

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the photo of Milo and Sadie.  They look like good dogs. 

We are heading to town today which is a day early but our neighbors are heading into town for Wing Night at our local tavern.  My sister and her husband leave this morning. We caught fish yesterday and had a walleye dinner.  We have been catching a lot of toothy and stinky Northern Pike this year.    None of our usual bluegill.   Have a lovely day

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to the day. Afternoon & evening storms yesterday made Bindi walks a challenge and prevented any pool time. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. @smitty34877 Terry, love reading about Lou’s progress. And how thrilling that Murphy is holding her own. A strong woman in the making!

Zumba, chores, Bindi walks and 🤞🏻 pool time will fill my day. All our rain has made the flowers so happy. I still have hydrangea blossoms galore!  The pic below has just two blossoms in it!

IMG_1494.jpeg.6de297108bad0deaf7626b27b04ab69d.jpeg

But I need to get out and do some dead heading & spray the deers’ favorites with Bobbex. 

IMG_1491.jpeg.bd572e2975164bbabb7dcc10cb3916bd.jpeg

IMG_1493.jpeg.48d94e72d5271c7215158f5d1b80cf7a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Château La Gaffelière St.-Emilion 2019

This amazing blend might just be worthy of stepping outside of my budget to buy. It would need to be for a very special occasion. Most critics suggest waiting. I am impressed with the winemakers lack of hyperbole. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $79.95.

Winemaker Notes

#67 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

Blend: 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Franc

WE97 Wine Enthusiast
This estate has made a dark, dense wine in this vintage. That density is penetrated by the freshness of the black currant fruits. The result is a wine that is powered both by structure and crisp fruit. There is definitely plenty of aging potential here.  Barrel Sample: 95-97
JS96 James Suckling

A vibrant, fragrant red with aromas of blackberries, currants, walnuts and mint chocolate. Medium-bodied with fine-grained tannins. Pretty walnut notes on the polished finish. Fantastic length. Driven acidity and focus. Try in 2025.

D95 Decanter
An estate with a gathering sense of excitement around it, and once again proves why with the 2019. Sleek and flavourful, with the insistent tug of limestone slowing things down and allowing the juice and the tension to really inform the palate. Creamy texture also, with blueberry and raspberry fruit played gently against tobacco and crushed stone minerality. Highly successful. Barrel Sample: 95
JD95 Jeb Dunnuck
The flagship 2019 Château La Gaffeliere is mostly Merlot, yet the cuvée always includes around 15% Cabernet Franc. It offers a complex array of spiced red and black fruits, cedary herbs, lead pencil, and a kiss of tobacco to go with a medium-bodied, elegant, impressively balanced style on the palate. It shows the more classic style of the vintage, has no hard edges, and is going to be relatively accessible in its youth yet also age gracefully. Barrel Sample: 93-95
RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 La Gaffelière wafts from the glass with a rich bouquet of blackberries and cherries mingled with subtle hints of burning embers and loamy soil that's framed by a deft application of creamy new oak. Medium to full-bodied, deep and seamless, it's a concentrated, vibrant wine built around bright acids and fine, powdery tannins. Its vivid fruit tones and classical balance make this Cabernet Franc-rich blend a promising candidate for sustained bottle age. Anyone who has tasted the great wines this estate produced in the 1950's and 1960's knows how great this site can be; and with stricter selection as well as the elimination of fruit from vines growing on the plain from the blend, that potential appears to be being unleashed at last. Best After 2027

WS94 Wine Spectator

This rolls out dense fig, boysenberry and red currant paste flavors laced with pronounced chalky minerality and notes of tobacco, dried anise and juniper. The serious tannic drive on the finish puts this in the 'classically austere' camp. Worth cellaring for sure, but patience is required.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 6

Good morning. Currently 73 degrees and it will reach 89 later in the day. It’s our church small group night so I need to do some more reading and preparation. Life has been rather routine and blah with both of us dieting. For two days I have remained the same weight so those old fat cells are clinging on but I’m hungry and sticking to it.

We have been to beautiful Moorea and are scheduled to return next year on the World Voyage.

My brother-in-law belongs to a barbershop quartet in Michigan and they travel around quite a bit. Very good harmony and I enjoy listening.

Thanks to all who make the Fleet Report and Daily a regular part of our daily lives. Prayers for those in need as we race through this week at what seems warp speed. Bruce

image.jpeg.330f6210c622d3bc22f8d15b5a834811.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a047be21cc3561847ceb223aeccb7264.jpegimage.jpeg.98c186c324cf3bdec83ed30f0809e003.jpegimage.jpeg.ce19b9611106b0044122cd04998d52e3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.950d7b8342ff1dd49270dc44bcdbd199.jpegimage.jpeg.160122aad2f181a7040cda55f275190c.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 21

I'm going to the barber shop this morning, but they never have a quartet.

Everyone should know that the four basic food groups are sugar, fat, salt, and preservatives.

OK on the salmon burgers, not OK on the cocktail. The wine is a Bordeaux blend , so for another 2019 vintage I could suggest the 2019 Damiani Meritage, although it emphasizes Cabernet Sauvignon more than Merlot. I haven't been to French Polynesia.

The conference management just announced that we're meeting on a dry campus and that anyone possessing any amount of tobacco, cannabis, or alcohol will be escorted off the campus by campus police, who have state police authority. The alcohol ban will especially affect those who like to stay up into the wee hours singing "Kumbaya."

Tolstoy.thumb.jpg.4a9a67e959f651bfcab40e6bfd1bc398.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 8

Good morning. Lots of humidity today.Oh boy.

I will celebrate  geekiness and see a lot in my DS.He is much more outgoing than I ever could be but it is funny how some traits are passed down. I have never lived in a Fool's Paradise but there is time yet, I hope.

Yesterday we totally exhausted Lou but he was happy to have the family except for Tana all around. We will see what the NH family are doing later today. 

My new hip and I went into the swimming pool easily but getting out was interesting. I was able to come to standing after ascending the steps with no rail and did not ask for help.My daughter in law was hovering nearby which I appreciated.

Be careful in these steamy conditions today!

• Like 25

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

enhance

Stingray feedingenhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Excellent photos Sandi.

I explained Fools Paradise in my opening post today.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1