Chair Hogs reign on Spirit!

texanaust

Went walking before 6am today and all double loungers were taken.  Are people reserving them the night before!!!!   Yesterday at least half of the double sunbeds were taken all day but only used for 1-2 hours in the afternoon.  Sad...

2 hours ago, texanaust said:

Went walking before 6am today and all double loungers were taken.  Are people reserving them the night before!!!!   Yesterday at least half of the double sunbeds were taken all day but only used for 1-2 hours in the afternoon.  Sad...

Have the pool staff take things off the beds so that they can be used as and when other guests want to use them.

• Like 6

Was involved in a discussion in a laundry room on Crystal, this laundry room had 4 or 5 washers/dryers. The consensus was, at busy times, things can remain in a washer or a dryer for 15 minutes after the cycle finished and then the clothes, wet or dry, go into the plastic laundry basket Crystal provided. I think I remember Crystal had a policy that there was a 30 minutes time limit on pool furniture.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Sounds no different to many other cruise lines

Correct, so why aren't there protocols in place to equitably distribute the seats.  Monopolizing a seat for the entire day but only using it for an hour or two is ridiculous.    It shouldn't be the responsibility of a customer to confront these people. 

• Like 2

By 9am today every single lounge chair on the ship was reserved...but only about 25% of guests were sitting in them.  We ended up using the couches behind the Panorama lounge-quite comfortable too.

8 hours ago, david63 said:

Sounds no different to many other cruise lines

Perhaps, but I’ve never found this to be an issue on Silversea in the past. 
It seems that as more people are discovering Silversea, more of the “norms” from the mainstream lines are accompanying them…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

It seems that as more people are discovering Silversea, more of the “norms” from the mainstream lines are accompanying them…

I've never been on a ship that had every single lounger taken at 9am.  And I have been on everything from 5000 passenger ships down to 200.  

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Please protect us from the norms!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, texanaust said:

I will be in the Spirit in 3 weeks for a 7 day itininerary I hope this will not happen! 😨 

• Like 1

We have observed the chair issues and other similar issues on most of the Silversea cruises  we have been on. We are well over 400 days now. 

On one cruise we brought some books aboard to donate to the library. Sure enough, the next morning those very books were placed strategically on some loungers. They were there every morning of the cruise before 9 am. On the same chairs. I am familiar with the couple who used the loungers, but I know there were some others involved who actually did the book placing. Money was exchanged. 

This is the same guy I saw vociferously demand to see the MD in LaT on day 1 of the cruise and then very obviously and openly  greased the palm of the MD and demanded the same table every day for every meal. His wife came to LaT at lunch in curlers. 

I don't think its the new norm. 

There will always be those who feel entitled, to whom the rules do to apply. And of course, to the detriment of others. 

And those who will accept cash for goods/services.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

It looks like the Spirit is in Greece. Is this a 7 day itinerary? What is the passenger mix? Is it the typical SS clientele, or is it family or large groups responsible for the bad behaviour?

Back in the early days of my experience on silversea 2005 there were no cruise itinerarys that short ...maybe it's the new normal( thanks to rccl) ..  there are so many 7 night itinerary cruises ..I will confess that I am up & about on deck by 11am ...but I am on my lounger & await my champagne 🥂 being served... And again I will confess that I do leave my lounger while I have a burger 🍔 pool side but not gone for hours ...   That said I do remember back in 2011 New York to the Caribbean it was mayhem.. it was a 12 night cruise but a different passenger base ... Not a lounger to be had ... We had to ask pool staff to find extra loungers to which they kindly accommodated...  I'm following the thread for dress code also & it's all changing... 

That said I'm still a silversea girl through & through... Having started back in 1989 royal Caribbean sovereign of the seas..wow ..what a experience that was ...  Absolutely fabulous & got me started on my journey of 70 cruises ... Happy cruising 🥂🚢...

Spinnaker,

Was this guy who greased the MD’s palm on Dawn in Nov./Dec.2022?

If so I saw the same episode in La Terrazza.

That said, I have to admit that initially I took comfort from the idea that while these 2 graspers were in La Terrraza we we’re spared their company. It would appear that it’s all about vulgarity!  

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, markham said:

Spinnaker,

Was this guy who greased the MD’s palm on Dawn in Nov./Dec.2022?

If so I saw the same episode in La Terrazza.

That said, I have to admit that initially I took comfort from the idea that while these 2 graspers were in La Terrraza we we’re spared their company. It would appear that it’s all about vulgarity!  

Happy and healthy sailing!

Bet they had unpolished shoes. 

This is a perennial topic, and I have remarked upon it in the past. Please excuse me if I repeat myself.

I do not believe it is fair to expect the pool staff who bring drinks, etc., to police this matter.  They are hotel staff and look forward to good comments on questionnaires and perhaps tips from regulars. They certainly do not want complaints from entitled chair hoggers. 

I wonder if the responsibility can't be given to the security staff.  Specifically, I suggest that a security staff member cruise the pool deck once an hour. A sticker would be placed on unoccupied but apparently "reserved" loungers.  If the sticker is still there an hour later, the security person or a pool staffer would remove any objects/towels, etc., and the chair would be liberated.

Thoughts?

• Like 10

For less than a $10 investment, you can stick one of these on a 'reserved' lounger and give the dial a spin.  When it dings, point it out to security, or just start chucking stuff (though not overboard, please) - whichever feels better at the time.  😁

KITCHENTIMER.jpg.044c7270573c3bca2d233c0bb0256b14.jpg

• Haha 3

I laud all ideas and hope management is watching.

Otherwise it continues and like the dress code issue, it continues, as management watches chuckling.

Those silly pax keep the dialogue going, immersive and entertaining everyone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We have observed the chair issues and other similar issues on most of the Silversea cruises  we have been on. We are well over 400 days now. 

On one cruise we brought some books aboard to donate to the library. Sure enough, the next morning those very books were placed strategically on some loungers. They were there every morning of the cruise before 9 am. On the same chairs. I am familiar with the couple who used the loungers, but I know there were some others involved who actually did the book placing. Money was exchanged. 

This is the same guy I saw vociferously demand to see the MD in LaT on day 1 of the cruise and then very obviously and openly  greased the palm of the MD and demanded the same table every day for every meal. His wife came to LaT at lunch in curlers. 

I don't think its the new norm. 

There will always be those who feel entitled, to whom the rules do to apply. And of course, to the detriment of others. 

And those who will accept cash for goods/services.

If they were on our cruise I might find myself walking past their table holding a glass of red wine and ever so accidentally trip with the wine going over the fellow. followed up by so sorry,I don't know what it is with this particular table but I always seem to trip going past it.

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

There will always be those who feel entitled, to whom the rules do to apply. 

The sort of people who would unplug your life-support machine so they could charge their 'phone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, Sunprince said:

It looks like the Spirit is in Greece. Is this a 7 day itinerary? What is the passenger mix? Is it the typical SS clientele, or is it family or large groups responsible for the bad behaviour?

This cruise has had some real 'characters' such as the Brazilian couple that would finish their workout by swimming in the pool in their underwear.  And yes it was underwear because they came out later to the four reserved lounge chairs (two in the shade and two in the sun) in appropriate attire.  

Then there was the lady who shouted at people chatting to be quiet on the pool deck.  That riled up a few passengers who told her she was being stupid and should retire to her stateroom.

And this discussion would not be complete without the America woman (La la land) and her two adult children who kept the buses waiting on every tour we were on.  This included in Alexandria where we had to wait on the bus for 1.5hours while the police were called (but that is another story...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

If they were on our cruise I might find myself walking past their table holding a glass of red wine and ever so accidentally trip with the wine going over the fellow. followed up by so sorry,I don't know what it is with this particular table but I always seem to trip going past it.

Isn't included wine a great thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 3