392 days until cruise but I already bought..

So we still have 392 days haha but so far I bought... A new gown, a pair of linen pants, a cute short light skirt, a pair of linen type shorts, a pair of sandles to wear with everything haha oh and new luggage because my old ones were broken. 

I get a little excited at the thought of another cruise 🛳 

• Like 5

Me too! So excited that I booked another (sooner) cruise! 😁 I do enjoy buying a few new things for each cruise though. 91 days to go, and this weekend I found 2 cute/casual dresses made of fabric that should pack and travel well, and a pair of linen shorts. Fun times!

• Like 4

And then, of course, there's the joy of endless shopping for just the right accessories for the new duds.  I don't like to pack a lot of jewelry, so I'm always looking for 'just the right earrings' for that new shirt, then I don't need anything else.  I consider shopping expeditions part of my daily exercise, of course.  

• Like 6

I couldn't pass up the gown. I found it on a buying/ selling app I use called Mercari. It was $13 with shipping it came to $27. Yes I paid more for the shipping haha. But it says it's new and it looks very pretty. Light blue with a sweetheart neckline spaghetti straps and it's raunched to the waist ( to hide flaws haha) then flows down. So hopefully it fits. And if not I have a year to lose weight which I'm trying to do any way. This menopause 20 is killing me😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Shopping for cruise wear is one of my favorite activities! I set up a rolling clothes rack in my bathroom when I’m within 90 days of a cruise. I have a great time building my wardrobe, hanging new purchases, adding and subtracting items, planning accessories, etc. You know what I mean! And it’s never too early to start!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

And then there is the joy of finding a fabulous garment, and needing to continue a search for something to go with it.

I just bought a pair of slacks in a copper-pink color - unlike anything I've ever owned, but probably the best fitting pants I've ever owned.  I know I could wear a black top with them, and I do own a few of those.  But what if there is an even better color or pattern out there?  What might it be?  I intend to find out!

• Like 2

I fortunately have not been afflicted with the need to buy "cruise wear."   Sure, I buy new stuff when I'm taking a vacation, cruise, trip, etc.  But, if I can't wear it in my normal life at home, I don't get it. 90% of the time.  I did buy a dress last Spring to wear to my grand niece's Summer wedding and I haven't worn it since.  But that's not a usual thing.  

I still haven't seen a "sundress" rack at a store... 😉

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I fortunately have not been afflicted with the need to buy "cruise wear."   Sure, I buy new stuff when I'm taking a vacation, cruise, trip, etc.  But, if I can't wear it in my normal life at home, I don't get it. 90% of the time.  I did buy a dress last Spring to wear to my grand niece's Summer wedding and I haven't worn it since.  But that's not a usual thing.  

Since retiring, I do fit more into this category I suppose. I did buy one clearance-rack sleeveless blouse a couple of weeks that I will probably only wear on a cruise or beach vacation. The other things I've recently bought are items I will definitely wear in my at home life. 

• Like 3

I leave in 41 days for my next cruise and haven't looked for anything new and don't plan to either. Actually, I haven't shopped for clothes in many, many months for any reason.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I leave in 41 days for my next cruise and haven't looked for anything new and don't plan to either. Actually, I haven't shopped for clothes in many, many months for any reason.

Woohoo Lois, that is getting close!

I didn't buy anything new for our B2B last winter (Mexican Riviera x2), I didn't even make a list or pack very much ahead of time! I just set up a two-sided clothing rack in our bedroom and swapped items on and off it; one side for me, one for dr'spin.

BUT, the next cruise is much longer (35 vs 16 days) and to a more tropical environment than we are used to. (At least we will not have to fly to the port.) But the one after that (375 days and counting!), we will fly to Boston for a few days ahead of sailing AND possibly a week or ten days after, rent a vehicle and travel to upstate NY to visit family. So more planning and a few new things for those combined, like the new Personal Item bag is really for the Boston trip.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Unfortunately I went through menopause since my last cruise and gained a floatation device where my tiny waist once was😪. I am trying hard to lose it. Mean while I need some new things. Everything I purchased I'll wear outside of cruising with the exception of the gown. But it was cheaper than I had said shipping was less than I thought and it is beautiful on. 

Screenshot_20230718_115021_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20230718_115029_Mercari.jpg

• Like 5

My next cruise is in 51 days (had to check the app to make sure), and so far, I haven't purchased anything specifically for it, but the one after that is in 187 days, and while I haven't purchased anything specifically for that one yet either, I've got a list of maybes, depending on which excursions I end up doing. 

I did, however, buy a tomtoc Urban Sling during Prime Days last week - not specifically for cruising, but not *not* for cruising, either. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Unfortunately I went through menopause since my last cruise and gained a floatation device where my tiny waist once was😪. I am trying hard to lose it. Mean while I need some new things. Everything I purchased I'll wear outside of cruising with the exception of the gown. But it was cheaper than I had said shipping was less than I thought and it is beautiful on. 

The gown is gorgeous and you absolutely can't beat the price!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Beautiful dress. A low carb diet will help with the flotation device 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re doing a family vacation to Hawaii next June. I’ve already bought the guys matching Aloha shirts. That’ll teach them to say ‘I want a matching Hawaiian shirt for the trip’. They’ll get their shirts for Christmas 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, awhfy said:

We’re doing a family vacation to Hawaii next June. I’ve already bought the guys matching Aloha shirts. That’ll teach them to say ‘I want a matching Hawaiian shirt for the trip’. They’ll get their shirts for Christmas 

My daughter and her boyfriend went on a land vacation  to Hawaii in May. She loved it ! 10 days in a rental house just a short walk from the beach. They were there for one of his cousin's wedding vowl renewal. 

I lived through her pictures and video calls lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, awhfy said:

I hope the shirts aren't from Hilo Hatties    🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, slidergirl said:

I fortunately have not been afflicted with the need to buy "cruise wear."   Sure, I buy new stuff when I'm taking a vacation, cruise, trip, etc.  But, if I can't wear it in my normal life at home, I don't get it. 90% of the time. 

I'm the same, so my cruise wardrobe and my daily life wardrobe have a big overlap.  When I was five years out from retirement, I decided I would never again buy anything I couldn't imagine myself wearing in retirement -- so more casual, more colorful, more comfortable.  I did end up replacing my shoes (teachers stand /walk literally all day, so shoes have about a 2-year lifespan), but I didn't buy anything else JUST for work.  

I try not to accumulate excessive clothing.  I was diagnosed with Diabetes, and I cleaned up my diet (I am no longer Diabetic, not even pre-Diabetic) and lost about 30 pounds.  I got rid of maybe 75% of my clothes, and I LOVE having a smaller wardrobe.  My closet's no longer bulging with things I never wear, and getting ready each morning is easier.  I was forced to hold onto some things for work -- for example, 5-6 school polo shirts, which didn't look good on me at all.  When I retired, I was able to get rid of a bunch more stuff.  

I did buy a dress last Spring to wear to my grand niece's Summer wedding and I haven't worn it since.  But that's not a usual thing.  

Have you considered renting for special occasions?  Some of my teacher friends do it, and they seem very happy with the choice.  

Substitute the term "Casual Dress".  

• Like 3

Mum -  I always see women here on CC reference "sundress", so I thought it was something special to find in the stores.   I bought the dress because I thought I would have a dress in the closet that I could put on if I ever get the chance.  I know about Rent the Runway, etc, but I'm not that dressy.  Even the dress I bought I could wear for a day on vacation with tennis shoes...

• Like 1

I sew most of my vacation clothing so I’m taking a guided workshop series right now called Design Your Wardrobe. It’s a great way to refine my style for a cohesive look and then I start sewing the pieces I’m missing. I have 5 more pieces to make before my December cruise. 

This week it was a cute cardigan that was UPF50. Next week I’m starting a trench coat.

• Like 1

I know I said I was not planning to buy anything but I lied LOL...I found a new pair of black jeans at Chico's.....I love them. They have black embroidery on the right leg that goes from about the ankle up the shin. They can be dressed up and they are going with my on next cruise which is on August 27th😀. I fly to London 2 weeks from Friday!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

I sew most of my vacation clothing so I’m taking a guided workshop series right now called Design Your Wardrobe. It’s a great way to refine my style for a cohesive look and then I start sewing the pieces I’m missing. I have 5 more pieces to make before my December cruise. 

This week it was a cute cardigan that was UPF50. Next week I’m starting a trench coat.

So envious of you!!  Two things in my life that I'd love to change.  Sewing beautiful clothing and watercolour.  Both of them are incredibly satisfying, and both require patience, focus and perseverance.  And a great deal of practice.  I seem to lack those attributes when it comes to sewing and painting.  I hope in my next life I'll be able to do both well.  I looked up Design Your Wardrobe and it looks fascinating ... thank you!