Candy for the Crew

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Guessing the cash equivalent of the candy isn't going to pay the rent either.  I doubt the crew is getting enough candy where if they had cash instead would make a realistic difference. 

I'm assuming the crew gets the salary THEY bargained for also.  

What a bunch of sour pusses.  

Do a little math.

I prefer to give them a giant teddy bear, wearing a t-shirt with my state on it… lol, just kidding 🙂

One thing I want to be better about- remembering to ask my room steward if I can pick them anything while in port… and yes, of course I’ll still tip 🙂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

With their permission I always take their picture so I can make sure I remember their name and the correct spelling so I can make special mention of them in the post cruise survey.  

Last few cruises we’ve gotten a business card with their name.  That works better since I have terrible photo skills.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, pilot said:

The thought is nice, but give them cash to buy their own candy bar. 

I say give them both so they don't have to spend the tip to buy the candy.  Win-win.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, pcur said:

I say give them both so they don't have to spend the tip to buy the candy.  Win-win.

How do you know they want candy?

You should try a test. On a table place a $10 bill and a bag filled with $10 bag of candy. Ask them to pick one. 

• Haha 3

On 7/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, pcur said:

I agree.  Add the candy to the cash tip. Make it chocolate:  like get a bag of the pre-wrapped Godiva chocolate/caramel balls.  Little bits of heaven.

I like this idea. I have, however, read on other web sites how inferior US chocolate is compared to, for example, Europe. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, pilot said:

You should try a test. On a table place a $10 bill and a bag filled with $10 bag of candy. Ask them to pick one. 

Or, to keep with the OP,  on a table, place a $10 bill and a candy bar.  Tell the steward he can have the bill AND the candy, or just the bill.  See what he chooses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Or, to keep with the OP,  on a table, place a $10 bill and a candy bar.  Tell the steward he can have the bill AND the candy, or just the bill.  See what he chooses.

Then he can ask you to buy his bag of candy for $10. 😂

15 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I like this idea. I have, however, read on other web sites how inferior US chocolate is compared to, for example, Europe. Any thoughts?

My fav - Defroidmont chocolate in Erezee Belgium.  Even cheap Galaxy chocolate from the UK is better than our American Hershey imho

• Like 3

The only non-cash “additional” gift I would give is to the Filipino crew in port cities (ie Vancouver) where there happens to be a Jollibee restaurant location. Jollibee is a restaurant that every Filipino holds near and dear to their heart.

They could not care less for your chocolates or random tokens from your home state that they don’t want. Give them a gift card to use at Jollibee for take out and you will see true gratitude as opposed to the forced “thank you for something I truly do not want and have no use for but I have to fake gratitude for”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

Totally agree -  North American chocolate is horrific compared to say UK chocolate. You cannot compare Cadbury’s chocolate in Canada to any Cadbury’s from the UK. Not only the quality, but there are so many different varieties that are not sold here.

• Like 1

Just now, RD64 said:

Totally agree -  North American chocolate is horrific compared to say UK chocolate. You cannot compare Cadbury’s chocolate in Canada to any Cadbury’s from the UK. Not only the quality, but there are so many different varieties that are not sold here.

Cadbury chocolates from Ireland are our absolute favorite.   So much better than the US Cadbury which is produced by Hersey and even better than Cadbury produced in the UK.   And so many varieties and really smooth and yummy.    If that’s the chocolate being handed out, okay, can I get in line?     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Cadbury chocolates from Ireland are our absolute favorite.   So much better than the US Cadbury which is produced by Hersey and even better than Cadbury produced in the UK.   And so many varieties and really smooth and yummy.    If that’s the chocolate being handed out, okay, can I get in line?     

OK - sadly I must agree with you. I will get in line as well. And if there is a tin of Quality Street chocolates in question - no lies - but I will fight you for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And herein (in my opinion) lies the point of this thread. If you know me well enough to know that I truly love Quality Street (or a Terry’s Chocolate Orange) then by all means you know I will appreciate this gift - then gift me. Otherwise, although the Intent  behind the gift is appreciated, it is a waste of your time and money.

I am a teacher - over the last 35 years ago, would you like to guess as to how many teacher mugs I have received as gifts and donated to Goodwill - easily in excess of 1000. This past June I received numerous gifts - all of which I had to express gratitude. Yes I am grateful for the bakery shortbread cookies - the thought was very considerate, but sadly they ended up in the trash because nobody in my family would eat them. I could go on with the list of chochtkes and Knick knacks I received but you get the idea.

I did receive gift cards for coffee shops / book stores - unsolicited - and I expressed the same level of gratitude + thank you cards to all parents, but can you guess which gifts I truly appreciated?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RD64 said:

And herein (in my opinion) lies the point of this thread. If you know me well enough to know that I truly love Quality Street (or a Terry’s Chocolate Orange) then by all means you know I will appreciate this gift - then gift me. Otherwise, although the Intent  behind the gift is appreciated, it is a waste of your time and money.

I am a teacher - over the last 35 years ago, would you like to guess as to how many teacher mugs I have received as gifts and donated to Goodwill - easily in excess of 1000. This past June I received numerous gifts - all of which I had to express gratitude. Yes I am grateful for the bakery shortbread cookies - the thought was very considerate, but sadly they ended up in the trash because nobody in my family would eat them. I could go on with the list of chochtkes and Knick knacks I received but you get the idea.

I did receive gift cards for coffee shops / book stores - unsolicited - and I expressed the same level of gratitude + thank you cards to all parents, but can you guess which gifts I truly appreciated?

You probably threw away all those apples you got.  🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2023 at 7:44 AM, RD64 said:

The only non-cash “additional” gift I would give is to the Filipino crew in port cities (ie Vancouver) where there happens to be a Jollibee restaurant location. Jollibee is a restaurant that every Filipino holds near and dear to their heart.

They could not care less for your chocolates or random tokens from your home state that they don’t want. Give them a gift card to use at Jollibee for take out and you will see true gratitude as opposed to the forced “thank you for something I truly do not want and have no use for but I have to fake gratitude for”.

Salamat po.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

I remember getting Orange flavored Kit Kat's in London a decade ago... I'm still hoping to find them again.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RD64 said:

DW was a teacher in BC until she retired in 2016.  The funniest end of the year gift she got was a goat, donated in her name, to some African family in some country we have long since forgotten about. It came with a nice certificate in a plastic frame. We still laugh about it to this day.  Over the years there have been thousands of mugs, Christmas tree ornaments, framed pictures of students, baked goods and so many knick knacks and trinkets we couldn't even begin to catalog them.

Everything eventually found its way to the rubbish bin.  The best gifts she got were Amazon gift cards or Tim Hortons gift cards.  They equal cash 🙂 

• Like 1

The way I see it, life on a ship is like ground hog day. I try to buy a huge box of the Halloween style small candy bars mid cruise.

When I meet a crew member. I ask if they would like to pick one. 

I they each have a favorite, and it comes with a memory from home.

Yes, cash pays the bills. But a little sweet when you are feeling down doesn't hurt. 

It tells them " I see you".

Ps. And do those that say they are faking gratitude. Try it and see.

Positive energy is priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pilot said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that's good thinkin !

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I remember getting Orange flavored Kit Kat's in London a decade ago... I'm still hoping to find them again.

Orange Kit Kat is nice but I prefer the Peanut Butter Kit Kat. 

• Like 2