Help - Norway Fjords options between Apex and Silhouette

harbourxie

Please help me decide on which Norway Fjords cruise to take. 

1. Apex June 8, 2024, Southampton => Bruges (Zeebrugge) Belgium => Flam Norway => Olden Norway => Bergen Norway => Southampton

2. Silhouette June 17, 2024, Rotterdam => Molde Norway => Olden Norway => Alesund Norway => Stavanger Norway => Rotterdam

We, a family of 4 (kids 14 & 9) have never been to Norway and have no ideas about which port is better. We have been on Apex to the Caribbean last year and Solstice to Alaska last month. Kids love Solstice because the kids clubs on the E Class ships are very small and in the depressing basements (deck 3 and deck 2)... Wife and I love Apex but like S Class as well for the design and real grassland. 

Thanks a lot, 

I believe Flam is the stand out port - train up and cycle down😀

Never been on Apex but love Silhouette. Imagine more expensive though. 

It is only a seven day cruise. Imagine you have non-cruise plans too. Lots to do in the UK with great landscape & cities. Amsterdam is great…….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, harbourxie said:

Please help me decide on which Norway Fjords cruise to take. 

1. Apex June 8, 2024, Southampton => Bruges (Zeebrugge) Belgium => Flam Norway => Olden Norway => Bergen Norway => Southampton

2. Silhouette June 17, 2024, Rotterdam => Molde Norway => Olden Norway => Alesund Norway => Stavanger Norway => Rotterdam

We, a family of 4 (kids 14 & 9) have never been to Norway and have no ideas about which port is better. We have been on Apex to the Caribbean last year and Solstice to Alaska last month. Kids love Solstice because the kids clubs on the E Class ships are very small and in the depressing basements (deck 3 and deck 2)... Wife and I love Apex but like S Class as well for the design and real grassland. 

Thanks a lot, 

We used our balcony a lot on our Fjords cruise…Early morning we would order coffee and pastries on the balcony and even if it was cold we would wrap ourselves in blankets and enjoy the port approach…We were on Eclipse.

Would IV be better or worse for Norway? Not experienced E class so I can’t make a judgement but balcony vs IV could be a deciding factor…

Price…I have done a few price comparisons between E, S and M ships in the Med recently and the E was significantly more expensive…Would booking Silhouette mean you could afford a better room or give you more spending money?

Also agree with others Flam is a highlight…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just did a Norwegian Fjord cruise on Jewel of the Seas last month. Here is my order of the ports we did, from must see to just awesome:

1) Geiranger

2)  Flam

3) Olden

4) Honningsvag

5) Alesund

We were suppose to do Molde but it got cancelled because we had to return early to Amsterdam because of the availability of the locks. 

Pick the itinerary that does the top listed ports. You won’t be disappointed. 

We had an aft balcony and I would recommend it highly! Best way to sail in and out of fjords. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I would look for another itinerary -- neither include Geiranger, which is the #1 fjord.

Dani, great point!  Reason we are looking at similar itin on Alex for July 2024 that includes Geiranger.   

Edited by maggieq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Other ships may be nicer and other itineraries may be better, but between Apex and silhouette (the two choices the OP is considering) Sillhouette is better for its Sky Lounge and its childrens area and its traditional balconies

Totally agree.  It's kind of even port-wise but I would pick Sillhouette for the reasons you mention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Silhouette for the kids club and the forward-facing Sky lounge, no question

eden is impressive but you want that forward facing view in the scenic areas

This.  I would not take a scenic cruise on E class unless sailing in a suite in the front of the ship.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the inputs and information. Just booked Silhouette. Better kid club, better balcony, less expensive for the ship but might be more expensive to fly to Amsterdam, and might need to splurge on the specialty restaurant since the MDR is not as good as on Apex. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This.  I would not take a scenic cruise on E class unless sailing in a suite in the front of the ship.

IMO, a sunset verandah would be superior to any other cabin. To be in the aft sailing through the fjords is spectacular.

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, harbourxie said:

Thanks for all the inputs and information. Just booked Silhouette. Better kid club, better balcony, less expensive for the ship but might be more expensive to fly to Amsterdam, and might need to splurge on the specialty restaurant since the MDR is not as good as on Apex. 

Flying from DFW  to LHR is more expensive than to AMS, also you need a transfer to Southampton

Edited by gerelmx

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

IMO, a sunset verandah would be superior to any other cabin. To be in the aft sailing through the fjords is spectacular.

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg

LOL.

I suppose that if aft was better they would put the bridge back there.  However it is in the front.  As is the sky lounge.  This reminds me of a failed experiment where they put station wagon seats facing aft.  How long did that last?  A year or so?

E class interior has few views.  There are very few windows and your views are of fancy shops and not scenic views.  Inward facing views vs outward facing.  If I had sailed E class in Cabo or Alaska I would not have seen the whales spouting...  I saw the whales while walking around the ship through windows.

Edited by NMTraveller

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

LOL.

I suppose that if aft was better they would put the bridge back there.  However it is in the front.  As is the sky lounge.  This reminds me of a failed experiment where they put station wagon seats facing aft.  How long did that last?  A year or so?

What a ridiculous statement and comparison, but that seems par for the course. Last I checked, I’m not driving the ship, so I don’t need to see what’s in front. And I’m not in a station wagon. Have you done the Geiranger or Flam fjords in an aft cabin? I have and it’s the absolute best view there is, from the comfort of your own balcony. I’ve also done Alaska in an aft and will do it again next year on Edge in a sunset verandah. 180+ degree views. And I’ll see any spouting whales regardless of what side of the ship they are on, as I did the Seven Sisters Waterfall and their lonely brother on the other side of the fjord, and see them both at the same time.

mac_tlc

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

What a ridiculous statement and comparison, but that seems par for the course. Last I checked, I’m not driving the ship, so I don’t need to see what’s in front. And I’m not in a station wagon. Have you done the Geiranger or Flam fjords in an aft cabin? I have and it’s the absolute best view there is, from the comfort of your own balcony. I’ve also done Alaska in an aft and will do it again next year on Edge in a sunset verandah. 180+ degree views. And I’ll see any spouting whales regardless of what side of the ship they are on, as I did the Seven Sisters Waterfall and their lonely brother on the other side of the fjord, and see them both at the same time.

mac_tlc

You will see the whales when you are walking around the ship?  Very few windows there.  Unless you spend 24/7 on the balcony.  The whales spout when they want to spout.  They do not wait for you to be on the balcony.  In your case you do not know what you missed because you did not see it.  I have been amazed at the sea life that I have seen walking around S class.  Very little on E.

Most prefer to be looking in the direction that they are headed.  There is a reason the suites are in the front.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

Different folks, different strokes! I too love an aft cabin, the wake is hypnotic and often offers some wonderful panoramic views of fjords when you wake up. I don’t think its a subject that needs arguing over. If the front floats your boat, go for it! 

OP, I think you made a good choice, have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

To the OP, I see you've booked Silhouette and hope you have a great cruise! We all value different things on a cruise and to you the kids club is important. I'll be on Beyond in a couple months which will be my first time in an IV cabin, and I reserve the right to change my mind after that! However, I've also been looking at Apex/Silhouette for a Norway cruise and my thinking is an IV might be a better option for a cool weather cruise, especially such a scenic one as through the Norwegian Fjords. In cabin views are somewhat limited with a traditional balcony/sliding door and then the overhang from the balcony above. I think it would be nice to wake up and open the blind to have comparatively unobstructed views out. I probably wouldn't spend much time sat out on a traditional balcony with the typical weather in Norway (it's mid July and currently 13c in Alesund). Also if there are 4 of you in the cabin does an IV cabin provide you with much more valuable inside space? 

Which ever one sails from Southampton if you live in UK, as flights will add to the price.

Also some sailings that start In Amsterdam, finish in Rotterdam, so again adding to the price if you need a transfer for the flight.