Long Haul Flight, Sounds of the Night

I have done many long haul flights to enable cruising from foreign ports. On a recent 14hr overnight flight from Canada, a thought came to me which I had not considered before - nobody was snoring. I cannot recall anyone snoring during flights I've been on.

Many(?) participants of this forum, seem to have or know someone who has, problems sleeping and use CPAP machines. I know almost nothing about these things but have read that users are also snorers - correct me if I am wrong. I have never seen anyone using a CPAP on a flight, I'm not sure I would know one if I saw it.

So where are all the snorers? Does one need to be recumbant to snore, are they in the pointy end? Can CPAP users fly overnight without their machines?

According to my ear plug using travelling companion I am a snorer, but not when flying.

Can someone enlighten me please? Is it just me?

I have used CPAP machine for my sleep apnea for 20 years now at home/hotels/ships. For about 10 years now have also used a 'travel' version - smaller & lighter.

The machines work by keeping your airways open during relaxation of the airways during sleep via the m/c producing a positive pressure, preventing apneas, events where you stop breathing momentarily - in worst case leading to stroke. Snoring is the sudden 'gasps' of attempt to breath, so use of the machine alleviates this.

You can use CPAP machines on planes, as some have external batteries (mostly designed for camping etc, when there is no access to power) - I have never seen this happening on a plane, although I have been told it has happened. As most planes nowadays have power at your seat, it is possible I guess to use them in this manner, although the airlines 'discourage' this, possibly concerned about liability should the power fail in flight??

Not sure if people snore on planes - I guess the general cabin noise may act to 'silence' the snorers & anecdotally snorers can't hear snoring anyway 🙂 If you were to see someone using CPAP, it would just look like they have an oxygen mask on (with a tube to machine) - masks can be nasal or full face. 

I have flown long flights overnight and slept without my CPAP & had no negative effects on myself - not sure of nearby passengers 🙂 I haven't had a good sleep in these instances, but likely wouldn't have in any case - flights are not made for good sleeping!

Edited by mr walker
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's harder to snore sitting upright.

As you see I have only been in the cheaper seats, back in economy class. 😁

There may be some snorers in business class lying down on their beds.

• Like 2

I do sleep on a plane but only at the 'front of the bus' (which is one reason I pay for business class). No hope of any shut eye if I am in a seated position. I am not sure if I have been a culprit with snoring - sincerely hope not.🤣

I did a quick Google and found this.

The key to avoid snoring on a plane is, then:

• Sit upright and slightly on your side so your head doesn’t fall back and cause your tongue to narrow the airways. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 6:50 PM, Elorac123 said:

Definitely can snore sitting up,my husband’s snoring could wake the dead sometimes, the blowing not so loud.

Cheers Carole

My husband is the same he will snore on the lounge watching TV. He did the trail for the CPAP machine and they sacked him saying he wasn’t suitable. So I regrettably put up with his loud snoring. He drops off the sleep anywhere including short plane flights.

Edited by cruisine21
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kristelle said:

anyone who has not heard a snore on a flight has not been on a flight with my husband 🤣

He can definitely snore sitting up.

I have heard some weird noises in the night, perhaps he was on a flight over my house 

• Haha 7