What’s That One Thing??

Spurs Fans

What’s that one thing you pack for a cruise that most people forget?  It’s the one thing you would tell everybody on the cruise to remember to bring if you could. 

Edited by Spurs Fans
Spelling

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Power converters when travelling overseas.  Not required on the ship but in the hotels.

I carry a euro to USB on cruise to take advantage of those outlets on ships that don’t have many place to plug in.

• Like 2

We always bring a dual voltage USB multi port hub to charge our devices and an adapter for the European outlet. That way we can charge all of our devices using the European outlet and keep the other outlets free for other use. 

Also, we bring 4 strong magnetic hooks (holds up to 50lbs). We put 2 on the back shower wall with a piece of twine to make an easy to pack clothesline. The other 2 we hang on the cabin walls for purses, hats, papers etc.

A full contingent of over the counter meds for all purposes is good to have on hand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Also, we bring 4 strong magnetic hooks (holds up to 50lbs). 

The last time I cruised I brought magnetic hooks that I thought would work holding various items (purse, beach bag, etc.).  The hooks were not strong enough for anything other than a lanyard, so I positioned them above the wall picture to help secure the hooks in place and problem solved.  Couldn’t enjoy looking at the picture, though (not that I cared).

I always bring a hanging shoe holder that I hang over the outside of the bathroom door.  It is so handy to have everything visible we might need in full view—meds, scissors, paper/pen, sun screen, first aid kit, sticky tape roller, etc, rather than sorting through a drawer for what we want.  If we forgot this item we would be very upset!

Edited by Kmangel

We really try to pack only the absolute essentials and now travel with just carry-ons. Since we don't bring a lot of clothes, everything fits in the drawers and closet which makes the cabin seem bigger.

There are two things that I will make space for:

- a white noise machine (no longer needed since our iPhones have that feature), and

- OTC meds for cold/flu/cough. On our first long cruise, I got a wicked cold on about day 3 and I had to suffer for a few days with whatever minimally effective cold meds they sold on the ship. Now I pack everything that will make a cold more bearable. 

• Like 2

I don’t have any idea of what others pack so I wouldn’t really know the one thing that others forget.   We have a check list for things to pack and do for the house.   

It all depends on your own personal needs.  I alway pack a few pair of my previous eye glasses.   I am always afraid of them falling overboard when on our veranda or getting broken.   If you don’t wear glasses it doesn’t apply to you.  

We also pack some Zicam that we will take as soon as we feel cold symptoms.  It seems to knock it out and not spoil our cruise because of a cold.  

We also take energy bars.   Never know if you will get delayed boarding, or needed in any emergency.  

And each of us  take at least one bottle of water with us on boarding day.   

We don’t fly and we drive to the ports.  We always make sure we have a full tank of gas when we park.  We want to make sure that we have the gas to get out of Dodge if there is a power outage due to some storm.   We mainly cruise out of Fl and live in MI.  There is always a case of water, cans of tuna,  chicken, jerky, and crackers and etc in our car.  We have been in a few hurricanes and tropical storms to know what happens during and after.  

At our house we unplug all of the unnecessary electrical devices,  turn off the water at the main valve, put the water heater on vacation,  notify our credit cards companies that we are traveling, put the mail on hold,  make sure bills are paid that will be due when gone, empty the garbage, empty the ice container in the freezer into freezer bags as we don’t want water flooding the floor if there is a power outage.  Let our local police and neighbors know that we will be gone

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I bring a few small disposable battery powered Tea lights to mark points I don't want to find with my Toes in the dark while making trips to the WC in the middle of the night.

I call them Navigation Aids................

Edited by D. B.
added content.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kmangel said:

The last time I cruised I brought magnetic hooks that I thought would work holding various items (purse, beach bag, etc.).  The hooks were not strong enough for anything other than a lanyard, so I positioned them above the wall picture to help secure the hooks in place and problem solved.  Couldn’t enjoy looking at the picture, though (not that I cared).

I always bring a hanging shoe holder that I hang over the outside of the bathroom door.  It is so handy to have everything visible we might need in full view—meds, scissors, paper/pen, sun screen, first aid kit, sticky tape roller, etc, rather than sorting through a drawer for what we want.  If we forgot this item we would be very upset!

The magnetic hooks we use were purchased from Amazon in a set of 4, each rated to hold 50 lbs. They work well for the purposes I mentioned above 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Power converters when travelling overseas.  Not required on the ship but in the hotels.

We also used to travel with one. We have found that we no longer need it. Phones and tablets are now dual-voltage. Hubby came up with the idea to get me a dual-voltage hair iron. It was the only thing we still needed the converter for. The converters we have had were both heavy and a bit noisy. We now save the space and weight. We do bring plug adapters, of course. 

If you don't have too many things for which you need a converter, you might consider replacing them with dual-voltage versions. It made sense for us, it may not make sense for you. 

8 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

We bring a portable travel fan to keep the air circulating better in the cabin (we are always HOT on the ships). I use magnetic hooks on the ceiling to mount the fan over the bed.

We do the same!  A travel must have in my book. But the travel hooks on the ceiling over the bed is genius!  About to get some hooks right now!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1