The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 26th, 2023

richwmn

Just talked to my TA and approved payment for Serenity Quebec to New York October 5 to 13.  A very strange trip as I explained in "The Bistro" but I'm booked non-refundable on Queen Mary 2 New York-Quebec-New York September 29 to October 13.  QM2 turnaround day is October 6 so I think on October 5 I will be officially on board both ships.

I also authorized final payment on Rotterdam November 12-24 to be paid next week.

I did really goof on one thing, cardiologist was supposed to be yesterday so I am rescheduled for Friday.

Roy

• Like 24

I'm not sure that "all or nothing" is a good idea, but I'm OK with aunts and uncles even thought many of mine were crazy. I sometimes cook with tofu but don't have any on hand.

I might like the cocktail even though I have no interest in tequila. I'd be OK with a Shiraz but don't have any, and probably won't have any wine today since I'm one of the officiants for a service at the synagogue tonight (more below). I haven't been to Malaysia.

A Jewish holiday called Tisha b'Av, which is actually just the date, the ninth of Av, begins this evening. It is not a joyous holiday, as it commemorates the destruction of the Temple and, to a considerable extent, Jerusalem, twice in different centuries, plus several other calamities. In my circle, most people, if they have even heard of it, want to avoid it, but I think it's important even though I don't subscribe to the theology that established it. We do it in Spanish-Portuguese style, although with a modern liturgy, with the chapel in almost total darkness and the Ark draped in black. People should bring flashlights, and if wearing leather shoes, should leave them in the lobby.

free-rangedinos.thumb.jpg.7293a1cc1f9bd6bb056809041e2d2624.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Just talked to my TA and approved payment for Serenity Quebec to New York October 5 to 13.  A very strange trip as I explained in "The Bistro" but I'm booked non-refundable on Queen Mary 2 New York-Quebec-New York September 29 to October 13.  QM2 turnaround day is October 6 so I think on October 5 I will be officially on board both ships.

I also authorized final payment on Rotterdam November 12-24 to be paid next week.

I did really goof on one thing, cardiologist was supposed to be yesterday so I am rescheduled for Friday.

Roy

Roy, I'm glad your travel plans are coming together.  Thank you for the updates about Terri's @Cruzin Terri plane.  It seems she just cannot catch a break lately.  I'm glad now that they had a long layover at O'Hare.

29 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm not sure that "all or nothing" is a good idea, but I'm OK with aunts and uncles even thought many of mine were crazy. I sometimes cook with tofu but don't have any on hand.

I might like the cocktail even though I have no interest in tequila. I'd be OK with a Shiraz but don't have any, and probably won't have any wine today since I'm one of the officiants for a service at the synagogue tonight (more below). I haven't been to Malaysia.

A Jewish holiday called Tisha b'Av, which is actually just the date, the ninth of Av, begins this evening. It is not a joyous holiday, as it commemorates the destruction of the Temple and, to a considerable extent, Jerusalem, twice in different centuries, plus several other calamities. In my circle, most people, if they have even heard of it, want to avoid it, but I think it's important even though I don't subscribe to the theology that established it. We do it in Spanish-Portuguese style, although with a modern liturgy, with the chapel in almost total darkness and the Ark draped in black. People should bring flashlights, and if wearing leather shoes, should leave them in the lobby.

free-rangedinos.thumb.jpg.7293a1cc1f9bd6bb056809041e2d2624.jpg

Paul, thank you for the explanation of another Jewish holiday.  Thanks to you, I'm learning more about your religion and traditions.  I think knowing more and understanding others beliefs makes a difference for the better in how we treat each other.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sad news tonight.

Irish singer Sinead O'Connor has died aged just 56.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Graham, thank you for the sad news.  56 is much too young to die.

On a lighter note, the other day when I was working on my pictures, I saw this one (which I edited) of a traffic sign in St. Petersburg when we were there in 2016.  This was taken from the bus as we were driving along the Neva River.

DSC05208.thumb.JPG.8c91c46678fd962eda4cb3d7f2f66cda.JPG

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like a nightmare.  Apparently still not at the gate.

Roy

I hate when that happens.  You land, you taxi, and then you sit on the ground with no gate available.  Something needs to change in the planning by these airlines.

In the meantime, Ren's flight is delayed taking off due to a heavy thunderstorm with 70 mph winds that has been passing over the Detroit area.  Best to be safe in this case and wait a while.  Now scheduled to leave at 4:35 pm (37 minutes late) but I'll be keeping an eye on it because that could be pushed back further.  I hope they have lots of snacks on board because that growing boy might get hungry!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, thank you for the explanation of another Jewish holiday.  Thanks to you, I'm learning more about your religion and traditions.  I think knowing more and understanding others beliefs makes a difference for the better in how we treat each other.

Lenda, amen amen to that!  That's precisely the same concept of my mantra "Travel is the only way to save the world". 

@kochleffelI heartily agree with Lenda's thanks for the continuing education. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like a nightmare.  Apparently still not at the gate.

Roy

I’m guessing she’s on American from Chicago to Jax. That inbound flight is delayed but the Jax flight is still showing on time.🤞

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I’m guessing she’s on American from Chicago to Jax. That inbound flight is delayed but the Jax flight is still showing on time.🤞

Still on BA from Heathrow to Chicago. 

Roy

• Like 9

Good evening from Chicago, O’Hare.  We are sitting in the Flagship Lounge waiting for our flight to Jacksonville, Florida.  

Our flight from London Heathrow was supposed to be on British Airways, but beginning on July 1 BA “wetleased” their BA295 from LHR TO ORD TO  Air Belgium.  

There was a lot of talk about it on Flyer Talk and lots of people made some not very nice comments about AB.  However, we stuck it out.  We were in Business Class and had decent seats and very nice meal service.  

We did leave late due to computer problems at Heathrow.  Nothing to do with AB.

The flight was smooth, I slept for a good part of it, and so did DH.  The food service was nice.  I had Chicken with gnocchi. We had afternoon tea with very nice pastries and sandwiches.

We landed about 45 minutes late due to a late departure, but other from that I have no complaints.  The seat was pretty comfortable.  If we were on BA we would have had the herringbone seats meaning every other one would have faced backwards.  All these faced forward.

So now we are waiting for our flight to JAX and will get there at about 10:30.  We will stay overnight and drive home tomorrow morning..

Kinda tired so I will post tomorrow.

Take care and Good night.

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

A clarification on this day in history.  Remember on Tuesday it was mentioned that the first locomotive was invented in 1814 and was used to haul coal.  So how could the first railway be invented in 1803?  It actually was a road with iron plates to make it easier for horse drawn carriages to travel on it.

We often eat tofu in our house.  My DW, having been born in Taiwan, knows many ways to prepare it.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Ren's flight left 1 hour and 39 minutes late.  His Dad plans to whisk him off to eat immediately after picking him up.  Maybe In-N-Out Burger which they don't have in Ann Arbor.

Glad you are pleased with your flight, Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Good idea to stay in Jacksonville tonight and arrive him fresh tomorrow.  It's nice to have you back!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ren's flight left 1 hour and 39 minutes late.  His Dad plans to whisk him off to eat immediately after picking him up.  Maybe In-N-Out Burger which they don't have in Ann Arbor.

Glad you are pleased with your flight, Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Good idea to stay in Jacksonville tonight and arrive him fresh tomorrow.  It's nice to have you back!

Thanks Sandi.  Flight to JAX delayed.  Now 7:15 pm..  We’ll see when it actually leaves.

Glad to be home.

Terri

• Like 14

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Seafood boil tonight.  We enjoyed it.IMG_2501.thumb.jpeg.d51602c5e60ca9305a98e220758f12f4.jpeg

IMG_2502.thumb.jpeg.bddd554a2b583fb639ba5529bda09f45.jpeg

Looks wonderful 😋 but how do you eat it? I’ve had seafood boils but not in a soup. The ones I’ve had at restaurants the food (crab, shrimp, sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, etc.) is boiled, drained, and then tossed onto the table that’s lined with butcher paper and you eat it with your hands. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

As I thought, today was not a good day....we left the house at 8 this morning, and got back at 7 tonight. It appears that the cancer is now in his mouth. He met with a surgeon who wants to rebuild his whole face, he met with a radiologist, who thinks that radiology for a second time is the most dangerous course to take , and an oncologist who is suggesting immunotherapy- infusions.,  and right now besides me, he has no one to talk to.  And of course he has the eye infection.  They will allow the surgery on the left eye, as that  is the only working eye, they do not want the right eye messed with at all.  Messing with the scar tissue, may exasperate the existing cancer. 

@dfishI'm glad you enjoyed your seafood boil, but when we had it on the New Amsterdam we did not.  They said Dungeness crab (as we were in Alaska) and we got crab legs that were so over boiled, they bounced. We did get loads of shrimp, and they were over cooked too.  So good for You!

@Cruzin TerriWelcome home!

@kazuSending you hugs today.

Its too early for bed, but I'm beat, therapy tomorrow at 9 a.m., just to get to work with a therapist I like.
Well, at least it's not at 8 a.m......

252f927b7b73185f70ac1bb1708cd13f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 13

51 minutes ago, marshhawk said:
As I thought, today was not a good day....we left the house at 8 this morning, and got back at 7 tonight. It appears that the cancer is now in his mouth. He met with a surgeon who wants to rebuild his whole face, he met with a radiologist, who thinks that radiology for a second time is the most dangerous course to take , and an oncologist who is suggesting immunotherapy- infusions.,  and right now besides me, he has no one to talk to.  And of course he has the eye infection.  They will allow the surgery on the left eye, as that  is the only working eye, they do not want the right eye messed with at all.  Messing with the scar tissue, may exasperate the existing cancer. 

@dfishI'm glad you enjoyed your seafood boil, but when we had it on the New Amsterdam we did not.  They said Dungeness crab (as we were in Alaska) and we got crab legs that were so over boiled, they bounced. We did get loads of shrimp, and they were over cooked too.  So good for You!

Its too early for bed, but I'm beat, therapy tomorrow at 9 a.m., just to get to work with a therapist I like.

That’s a horrible day.  I hope things get better for you and your DH.   Tough hurdles. Praying you get over them as swiftly as possible.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, I can't begin to tell you and Chuck how sorry I am about the latest news.  I wish both of you the best in whatever you and the doctors decide to do.  Also, wishing you both strength to get through this latest hurdle.  Remember that even though all of us are spearated by physical miles, you and Chuck are not alone.  We're here for you whenever you need us or feel like sharing.  Try to get some sleep tonight.  ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2