The Menu is not the Menu

LindaS272

Since Clay just posted a couple of menus over on the Saturn Live-ish thread in Norway, I thought this would be a good time to regale folks with a weird experience with the menus we had toward the end of our Saturn cruise July 5-July 19.

We both love Greek food and a theme in the WC one night was Middle Eastern dishes, with a few of the same things in the MDR, according to the menus on the Voyager App and on the e-boards around the ship. In fact, the WC listed Greek moussaka made with beef & cinnamon—yum, yum! So we went to the buffet line and searched both sides, but no moussaka. We asked one of the servers, and he said “this is Middle East night, we don’t have Greek food.”

The MDR listed a “vegetarian” Greek moussaka timbale, which sounded thoroughly suspect, but we thought we’d try it. So we went there and I ordered it for an appetizer and Dave ordered it for his main. It was not moussaka by any stretch of the imagination, and did not have the same flavorings. I think there was some eggplant in there, but also a lot of onion, & olives (!), plus potatoes. There really is no such thing as a “vegetarian” moussaka—but the chef was pretending to make it so. 

After that bomb, we left the MDR halfway through our meal and went back to the WC to try some of the other “Middle East” dishes. They had some very nice classical hummus and baba ganoush, but no pita bread to go with it.

When we had finished our repast, now about 8:30, I saw the restaurant manager, Angela (whom I’ve met on two other cruises) talking with a large tall fellow dressed in white, looking at the buffet line. I asked Angela about the Greek moussaka that was supposed to be served that night in the WC. The tall guy said the MDR was serving moussaka but not the WC. I showed them the app menu & said it was also on the e-screen out front. And that the “vegetarian” moussaka in the MDR was not really moussaka. So Angela said—let’s go & check it at the entrance. As we were going there, the tall guy in white—who didn’t introduce himself (& I couldn’t read his name tag in dim light with my progressive lenses—plus he was really tall)—said “You have to understand, Madam, but the menu on the app comes from corporate and is not reflective of what’s on the ship.” I said “but surely the executive chef knows what’s going to be served & would coordinate the ship’s menu with the ‘corporate’ menu.” The tall guy said nothing in regards to the executive chef.

I showed them where it was on the e-board and Angela took a picture, promising to take it up with somebody. About 10 minutes later as Dave and I left the WC, I checked the app & e-board again, and both no longer showed the Greek moussaka on the menu.

The next day, Dave saw a picture of the Executive Chef and said it was the tall guy in white.

So beware, on a Viking ship, the menu is not the menu. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

We consistently experienced the same on Polaris in June. One item of note that appeared on the WC menu everyday was the "Sausage of the day". I forget the exact term used but it was to be a rotation of sausages wrapped in dough and baked. We really wanted to try them, but they never appeared. Other major disconnects were as pointed out above.

• Like 1

Also a menu disconnect on Dave’s birthday: the MDR menu showed chateaubriande with bernaise sauce, and an appetizer of a twice baked artichoke soufflé. I thought, that’s my order right there. We went to the MDR to enjoy the evening, and were quite surprised that neither dish was on that night’s menu. The chateaubriande showed up a few days later.

I had never encountered this in five other cruises. A Covid supply issue, I think, as well as new hires not paying attention to disconnects between the “corporate” menu and what actually gets served on the ship.

Edited by LindaS272

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Since Clay just posted a couple of menus over on the Saturn Live-ish thread in Norway, I thought this would be a good time to regale folks with a weird experience with the menus we had toward the end of our Saturn cruise July 5-July 19.

We both love Greek food and a theme in the WC one night was Middle Eastern dishes, with a few of the same things in the MDR, according to the menus on the Voyager App and on the e-boards around the ship. In fact, the WC listed Greek moussaka made with beef & cinnamon—yum, yum! So we went to the buffet line and searched both sides, but no moussaka. We asked one of the servers, and he said “this is Middle East night, we don’t have Greek food.”

The MDR listed a “vegetarian” Greek moussaka timbale, which sounded thoroughly suspect, but we thought we’d try it. So we went there and I ordered it for an appetizer and Dave ordered it for his main. It was not moussaka by any stretch of the imagination, and did not have the same flavorings. I think there was some eggplant in there, but also a lot of onion, & olives (!), plus potatoes. There really is no such thing as a “vegetarian” moussaka—but the chef was pretending to make it so. 

After that bomb, we left the MDR halfway through our meal and went back to the WC to try some of the other “Middle East” dishes. They had some very nice classical hummus and baba ganoush, but no pita bread to go with it.

When we had finished our repast, now about 8:30, I saw the restaurant manager, Angela (whom I’ve met on two other cruises) talking with a large tall fellow dressed in white, looking at the buffet line. I asked Angela about the Greek moussaka that was supposed to be served that night in the WC. The tall guy said the MDR was serving moussaka but not the WC. I showed them the app menu & said it was also on the e-screen out front. And that the “vegetarian” moussaka in the MDR was not really moussaka. So Angela said—let’s go & check it at the entrance. As we were going there, the tall guy in white—who didn’t introduce himself (& I couldn’t read his name tag in dim light with my progressive lenses—plus he was really tall)—said “You have to understand, Madam, but the menu on the app comes from corporate and is not reflective of what’s on the ship.” I said “but surely the executive chef knows what’s going to be served & would coordinate the ship’s menu with the ‘corporate’ menu.” The tall guy said nothing in regards to the executive chef.

I showed them where it was on the e-board and Angela took a picture, promising to take it up with somebody. About 10 minutes later as Dave and I left the WC, I checked the app & e-board again, and both no longer showed the Greek moussaka on the menu.

The next day, Dave saw a picture of the Executive Chef and said it was the tall guy in white.

So beware, on a Viking ship, the menu is not the menu. 😂😂😂😂😂

Love Viking and their food and their bakery, but in my experience they aren’t so good at pita bread.

18 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Love Viking and their food and their bakery, but in my experience they aren’t so good at pita bread.

Not sure I’ve ever seen it—despite their attempts at “Middle Eastern” food. 🫣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 12:22 PM, LindaS272 said:

A Covid supply issue, I think,

Isn't it time that we all call "BS" on these "supply issues".

Provisioning can be arranged.  It only requires the desire to do so, the effort to make it happen, and the financial resources to pay for it.  Somewhere along the line, folks got comfortable with "supply chain" as a catch-all excuse, and now fall back on that rather than providing the service they should.

And don't get me started on the bar menus vs reality topic.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Anything supposed to be English or British is usually the US version or just odd in some way

I know you are British, but the worst food we had was in some pubs in London, maybe we like the US version 😊

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

I know you are British, but the worst food we had was in some pubs in London, maybe we like the US version 😊

But if it's the US version, you shouldn't pass it off as the English or British version.  BTW London pub food is the best! 🙂 Just sayin'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

And any time they mark a dish as California something, we run the other way!

LOL, LOL, LOL. Im originally from Spain and have lived in California during the past 40+ years. Every time I see “California Couscous Paella” on the menu it drives me nuts. Never seen that abomination either in Spain or in California.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Murt22 said:

You were likely in chain or tourist pubs. Pubs don't necessarily do good food in the same way they don't necessarily do good beer, you need to look for recommendations from locals or 'gastopubs', these are closer to restaurants than pubs, some have Michelin stars. 

The best food is often in small cafes in out of the way places. 

Example, say you wanted to try an Full English breakfast or Lunchtime fry up when near us, the pubs in town aren't very good for food, I'd take you to the transport cafe in the shed tound the back of the industrial estate. Similarly for quick take away food I'd avoid Greggs on the high street and go to the bakers down the dubious looking alley 

By the way, English bacon is not flabby, Curly and undercooked, and breakfast muffins are a bread product without air bubbles, not the crumpet like whatever they are on the ship.

I have no Indian ancestry, but have eaten at friends houses, Viking don't seem much good at that either, despite having Indian/Asian crew

Edited by KBs mum

We left Saturn two days ago and experienced some of the same issues Linda mentions. The bigger disappointment for us was the wholesale disappearance of items from all the menus after they had been there previously. 

We love Viking's preparation of Chilean Sea Bass (and yes @duquephart I know it's a marketing name for some other fish) so always make alternative dining arrangements around it and while lobster night. Both were in the app and tv menus upon boarding. But the day before we were to enjoy, they were replaced😢.  Luckily for Mike, lobster tails suddenly appeared on the menu so he got his full of lobster-first with a couple at the WC as pre-appetizers and then as a side with his rack of lamb in the Restaurant 😂

IMG_7664.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Torquato said:

LOL, LOL, LOL. Im originally from Spain and have lived in California during the past 40+ years. Every time I see “California Couscous Paella” on the menu it drives me nuts. Never seen that abomination either in Spain or in California.

Oh, I  love this!  You have the better story, being from Spain.  But yes, we are from California, and this is one of the dishes I’m talking about!

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We left Saturn two days ago and experienced some of the same issues Linda mentions. The bigger disappointment for us was the wholesale disappearance of items from all the menus after they had been there previously. 

We love Viking's preparation of Chilean Sea Bass (and yes @duquephart I know it's a marketing name for some other fish) so always make alternative dining arrangements around it and while lobster night. Both were in the app and tv menus upon boarding. But the day before we were to enjoy, they were replaced😢.  Luckily for Mike, lobster tails suddenly appeared on the menu so he got his full of lobster-first with a couple at the WC as pre-appetizers and then as a side with his rack of lamb in the Restaurant 😂

IMG_7664.jpeg

Viking seems to have a knack for calling things what they aren't.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You mean like calling Viking a "luxury" cruiseline?

"Luxury" is thrown around with ease for just about every cruise line.  Not to mention most cars.  Used so much the word hardly has any meaning.  We have sailed most of the "Luxury" lines except Regent and Silversea.  While their food and wine might be (probably is) better than Viking I just can't get past their "Kids Sail Free" promos and formal nights on Silversea.  Also I prefer the understated cohesive design of the Viking Ocean ships compared to the over the top bordello looks on some of the Luxos.  Has Viking declined, you bet.  I don't know anything that hasn't.  Especially if you look at air travel.  Don't know where we are heading with all the declines in quality, service, and behaviour.  Is Viking the equal of Four Seasons ?  Absolutely not.  But then we have been happily filled withViking offerings for 4+ months at a time and am not sure I could handle Four Seasons food and wine for more than a couple of weeks.  I wish Viking was like pre covid but then I wish the entire world was like pre covid.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

IMG_7664.jpeg

What are the chances that's a quality cold water lobster as opposed to warm water, Asian, etc? A lot of people who rave about lobster have never really had one.

14 minutes ago, duquephart said:

What are the chances that's a quality cold water lobster as opposed to warm water, Asian, etc? A lot of people who rave about lobster have never really had one.

image.thumb.png.d76c42398a2161ce81f4d9ac27b824a0.png

As a former Florida resident we are hurt by our tasty lobsters being mocked just because they suffer from claw deprivation.  Don't mock the afflicted....🍹

• Haha 3

What I know about lobster is that you go to the Maine coast. Go to a little family run place where the tables are massive pieces of butcher block. They will bring you a bib, a whole steaming hot lobster (that was alive 10 minutes ago), and a wooden mallet. Now you are eating lobster.

Edited by duquephart
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2