The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 27th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Take Your Houseplants for a Walk, Bagpipe Appreciation Day, and Walk on Stilts Day

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.--Herbert Bayard Swope

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Lemon Chicken
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Black Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Rubus - Old Vines Zinfandel Lodi 2019
Destination of the Day - St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin

Today in History:
1866 First transatlantic telegraph cable comes ashore at Heart's Content, Newfoundland after being laid out 1,686 miles by Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Great Eastern steamship

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 0700-1630

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 28 Jul

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 0700-1900

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 28 Jul

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

At Sea destination Bar Harbor, Maine eta 28 Jul

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Paamiut, Greenland eta 7/29

0727World.thumb.png.a0a1f1a21f6dd4d3ee551938e90a48b0.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for today's daily.

I have never walked on stilts.

Scottish Bagpipe playing at new year is a tradition in Scotland and England.

Excellent quote.

Nice food of the day.

We have been to St Thomas twice on cruise ships docking in 2 different places.

Pauline loved the jewelry shops .

Prayers 🙏 extended to everyone who needs them.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a great day.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, back on ECMO

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Mamaofami’s DH Sam in hospital with brain bleeds after falling out of bed

Smitty34877’s DH getting a port placed today

Summer slope with a health issue

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

4 missing in Nova Scotia due to flooding

6 deaths in Bucks County flash flooding; 1 child not found

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Catmando with recurrence of eye infection, cancer recurrence

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home Cruzin Terri and Jim!

Rafinmd arranging a unique QM2/Serenity cruise

Heartgrove’s house painting completed

Denise T’s new puppy Fancy

Ger_77 at the lake visiting friends

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for StLouisCruisers (Zaandam July 29 to Aug 23) DH 75th BD and 54th anniversary

3 days for AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam July 30 to Aug 13)

Crazy For Cats (Zaandam to July 29), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Aug 1), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 13

Happy Thursday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Tina, and Ann.  I appreciate bagpipes in moderation, have no houseplants to walk, and haven't been on stilts for about 7 decades.  I like the quote and have been to St. Thomas several times.  Telecommunications have really enriched our lives.  I like the meal suggestion.  My alternative suggestion is somewhat close, Fruit Cup Au Naturel, Chicken Consume Millefanti, and Roast Chicken Gremolata as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2011.

Heat index will pass 100 today and I hope to be home from all my errands and mall walk by 9,

Roy

• Like 33

Good morning friends!  Well, another sunny day ahead.  I's 69 now but will be 94. Glad I'm staying inside!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report for today.  Wow, on those days we celebrate!  First I have never taken my houseplants for a walk before.  I've given up on houseplants due to travel, and never gotten back into them.  I think I should appreciate bagpipes even though they can be a little loud because they can't be that easy to play!  No way can I walk on stilts and wouldn't even try.  I could break something!  The quote is good advice.  And a big day in communications with the transatlantic cable laid in 1866.

I think I would like the healthy lemon chicken, but no to Jim Beam and red wine.  Thank you to our food and beverage gals, Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your great reports each day!

Time for prayers for our Daily group as listed by Vanessa @JazzyV.  So many need them but special prayers today for Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk.  Hoping the doctors can find the best way to help Chuck with his latest cancer issues.  Thanks also to Denise @DeeniEncinitas for posting her advice and good wishes for our friends here.  Also hoping our prayers help Lou (Terry @smitty34877) and Baby Murphy.  Not forgetting DB and Mark.  🙏🙏   But a salute to all having a good time or cruising or both! 🥂 Hoping Ren has a good day.❤️

The port today is Chalotte Amalie in St. Thomas U.S.V.I.  We had that port on November 3, 2022.  I checked into it and found we had been there about 6 times, once without DH when I accompanied DD and family on a cruise.  Sometimes we head over by boat to St. John for the day and that is a nice way to spend the day.  I will post my photos from our first time in Charlotte Amalie in 2003 when we took a tour and went shopping for jewelry.  Here's the link to Nov. 3, 2022.

I remember our first stop at Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas, Dec. 2003.  It was only our second cruise and in those days we didn't go too far from the U.S.  We also didn't take long cruises at that time due to DH's work schedule.  On that day, we took a little tour which drove us around getting an overall look at the island.  Then we did some shopping and bought me something sparkly!

Ships docked at Havensight.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlvg0PZUp1D2H1iwVKJY4a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185492

And the opposite direction at Crown Bay.  Looks like there could be a BHB docked there to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiVdH15eHXCP8hyJsG7rRk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185495

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhgGi-u5As3NcchuhinPSQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185520

Our open air van driving us around the island00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKoYW6mkDo7EXotpEvCSWQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185532

Beautiful Magens Bay00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZVaBGhY5zYB0sP_KwQlNe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185542

Next stop was St. Peter Greathouse which also had lovely views00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLN-ymPnyosFX1miTtdJSbQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185553

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLarkxpRtR0DcGXMpEXwwwd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185565

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKQKU8J0ciujM1qqlDBZhY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185574

Time for dinner, but enjoying the view from the balcony.  Happy to be wearing my new diamond slide pendant too!  You didn't think we'd avoid the shopping aspect of this port day, did you?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9PYE4_zFDdytn0xsnCnyU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185596

Little did I know how big a part of our lives cruising would become.

Today we finish up packing details and make sure we stop mail, cut DH's hair and prepare to leave the house for a few weeks.  Meanwhile welcome home to Terri and Jim @Cruzin Terri.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Jim Beam Black Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
3 dashes Angostura® Bitters
2 ½ parts Jim Beam Black®
¾ part Vermouth, Sweet
Garnish with Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients in 3-piece shaker. Shake vigorously to chill. Strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 7.13.12 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  My houseplants went for a walk on our roof deck earlier this summer and are very grateful.  Try as I may I just can’t like bagpipes, they always sound so mournful to me.  I don’t think that stilts are on the agenda today.  I like the quote and after my retirement next Friday I’ll only need to please myself and hubby.  The meal suggestion sounds nice but I think I’ll pass on the drink.  Today’s port is a lovely place to visit.  Praying for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Lemon Chicken is one of my DH’s favorites.  I make a marinade in a Ziploc by zesting a lemon, squeezing the juice, a bit of olive oil, a dab of something sweet like honey and a fresh herb, then put chicken thighs in the bag overnight.  Bake at 350 for an hour.  I’ve never used a recipe so I had fun exploring all the variations.

This recipe for Easy Healthy Baked Lemon Chicken starts by browning the chicken in butter. (Is that healthy?) Then you make a sauce which includes chicken broth and lemon to pour over the chicken breasts and bake.  

V9c3G1gp9SN938fLOd_RMNbJFoEt7EhI_50MXl60Tpu6u9I5trysNrSOpI81gcrsTNgSmo0LVLoeKo_uhI-iJQ7WLP3gv9A84J3RpnVi_fmLqHRgAkRCgOayl0GHAQXgp17nqsdjjeg6iD_y2tWlWvY

This Grilled Lemon Chicken uses boneless thighs and is cooked on a grill.  You can use a grill pan if you prefer to cook indoors.  The addition of onion pieces sounds flavorful; I’m going to add them next time I make it.

GD11ieHBXKBqgvqaqGIc45o48Ho5XP70v5n47No9-ibGSaYMnbVLwhbehCcWOiW40tQ8AQif2cgMhebjeKjqOxw1L_1DbAHsl2gnBVfRLLZSujit1LZwpzImrxxLVJYiBr9CGWe7RkZhavw5nEj6jPg

The Stove top Lemon Chicken uses cutlets that are dredged in flour and sauteed.  The broth and lemon juice are then added to the pan.  I think the sauce would be nice served over pasta or rice.

PVvpxTiQKkQn2K5ouobC5I4oFi_Y7aes_5zK90Wem2CiEIX_0C_T0RccIHncwenOmtcrWn7mJKol5mCkNX1BWa82RwZqNHJb4MPKgGonqER_vvEKDJDM_lwPkx51U3pvOJnWJt8Ts67yzfwRmu9LXgg

If you’ve never made lemon chicken, I highly recommend you try one of these recipes tonight!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone. Sam is home and recuperating from his fall. Hopefully the brain bleed will heel itself.A CAT scan next week will show the condition. Thank you all for your prayers.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.  A strange group of days, my houseplants are too big to take on walks, bagpipes are ok for special occasions but never have been on stilts, closest is a Pogo Stick.  Thanks for starting us off each day @richwmn.  Quote is a good one. Pass on the chicken, the cocktail and probably the wine from Lodi.  THanks fit the photos of today's port @StLouisCruisers.  We have been there many times all on BHBs.  I probably have all my good photos on my laptop. We are returning next winter and I think we will be three times on our multi back to back trip.

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for @Scrapnanawho we haven't heard much about since she returned from her Grand Africa.  

We are heading into town today to get a break from the heat.  Tonight we will have a cold front come in sparking predicted severe thunderstorms well after we have returned home.  Have a great Thursday!  Nancy

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. A lovely morning following a day without even a brief shower. 

Thank you, Vanessa for sharing our happenings. Zumba, Bindi walks, chores, packing and an evening with my next door neighbor.
Her daughter has been staying with her while she finished up her career, while her husband was overseeing the house they were building in Utah. It will be tough to see her go.

I am packing for a short trip to New England for my nephew’s memorial service on Saturday and then a birthday celebration with two dear friends who entered new decades during the height of the pandemic - so I missed the parties their families threw for them. 

Is there anyone willing to take over the Wine du Jour postings for 4 days: this Friday - Monday? 

IMG_1532.jpeg.5adc08dcb728265e97042911fe93a0cd.jpeg

IMG_1524.jpeg.62753aacc41de7102cc296591ba84212.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Rubus - Old Vines Zinfandel Lodi 2019

This good - very good California Zinfandel has quite a few fans in the consumer ranks. It is easy to find with a decent price. Available from quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $13.98. And now I know that Rubus is Latin for raspberry. 

Distributor notes 

Rubus Old Vine Zinfandel Reserve is made from 100 percent Zindandel. 

The Rubus Project was created by Fran Kysela as a way to source & sell incredible wines at value prices. All wines in this international project are hand-selected by Fran Kysela. Rubus wines are fruit driven, true-to-type values that over deliver - a true representation of quality for the consumer at an excellent price.

83 Wine Enthusiast

86 Tastings

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We had lots of rain overnight.  It's still very cloudy and there are lots of puddles that Bertie and I had to avoid during our morning walk.  It's going to be a hot, humid afternoon, high of 37C (99F).

I've never taken my plants for a walk.  I like the bagpipes.  I've never walked on stilts.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks for the recipes.  The drink sounds tasty too.  I'll pass on the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

@mamaofami  Good news about Sam. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. No live plants in this house as there would be quick death with all our absences. First off @marshhawkAnne so sorry to hear about your Chuck’s medical issues. You’ll both be added to my prayer list. Also concerned about Carol’s Sam and other’s with issues. Most of us regular subscribers are in the so called “zone” and with aging medical issues can be expected but it doesn’t make it any easier especially for those affected and their caretakers. As I said yesterday aging is A Gift.

Did my time in the pool yesterday and she wasn’t happy when Pop Pop won at Simon Says!

Have a medical appointment at noon at dermatologist to have a biopsy on a suspicious spot on shin. Been there for years. Then tomorrow it’s back to dentist as they saw a slight crack or chip on a tooth they want to bolster. Never stops but does get more frequent.

Thanks for the reports and all your contributions. Have a great day. It’s a Gift!

Bruce

image.jpeg.b2dbbcf28f2bd7790b19d93a03d084e6.jpegimage.jpeg.9236e83cd74c06c5daa0b94bca0c4e51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0cd29bbdfeca80885d3e5c3a47e3b017.jpegimage.jpeg.28a2cafd4b56ab0069386dea1129b513.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.260396f8100d61f78c03946ed6188c66.jpegimage.jpeg.f03c88f226a35b31ed6e3c52d9e341f4.jpegimage.jpeg.2458cadce61dbd7cfe01dd55d6d1cf30.jpegimage.jpeg.8d5db954593cf3b49a2606744feffc93.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 18
  • Haha 18

Good cloudy and miserable humid morning.It’s 77with 91% humidity. It’s supposed to get up to 92 today and 95 tomorrow. Real feel will be over 100.

I’ve been to St Thomas many times over the years, loved going over to St John. Shopping was always fun, anyone remember buying the $10 Orbit watches? 
I love hearing bagpipes, especially in Scotland at the Tattoo, the lone piper on the castle is very moving.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24

My neighbor just text me. Our garbage can tilted over and our garbage strewn all over the place. Though we live in Florida always glad I kept old snow shovel for use in these situations.

Bear is back or could be the neighborhood Bob Cat or a couple of really large raccoons. I suspect bear as the trash can was loaded and very heavy.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from the Zaandam,  thanks for today's daily report.   Today is a sea day and there are only two items on the agenda,  lunch at the PG and a 5* event at the Mix.

I'm currently annoyed with ships security.  I bought two pieces of art from a local Sydney artist in the pier shops.  They confiscated one item because it's on the shape of an oar. It fits in our luggage. They promise to return it on Saturday but won't guarantee its safety from damage.  I'm sure I'll get over this but not until the cruise ends.

I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet Report and daily info. Our bible study group takes a break during the summer but we try to get together socially about once a month. So tonight’s the night. It’s a potluck and I’m trying a new recipe, BLT Pasta Salad.  

Prayers for the Care List, especially for @marshhawk Annie and DH, @cruising sister’s great niece Murphy, and @mamaofami’s DH Sam. Cheers for the Celebration List. Welcome home @Cruzin Terri. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Another day to wake up and shine...or glow...or just sweat.  I do admire you all who live in the southwest with your heat...and you sent it east, how kind...

Just kidding, we have our own heat in the south, it's called hot and humid.  This is mold country. 

I am letting DH sleep this morning.  His brain needs time away from yesterday.  I doubt very much that he would choose the surgery over chemo or immunotherapy. 

I dont have house plants, I did in college and when I lived by myself, but the cats really like them, to eat, and to knock over.  So no walking of plants today, no on the stilts, and to bagpipes.  I love the sound of bagpipes, outdoors, and very far away, the sound flowing over hills.....

Today is going to be a normal day, therapy, shopping and work.  I hope.  And then the pre race F1 shows this evening, after work. Maybe a donut run tomorrow, and then work. 

In an effort to keep DH from getting too down, we are going to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Atlanta Shakespeare Tavern on Saturday night.  However the theatre is right across from the hospital.  And we use their parking.  Atlanta Shakespeare is the oldest Shakespeare theatre in the country.  You get there, and go through a cafeteria line of English Pub food, eat your dinner, and then they clear your plates, and the play begins.  Intermission is the time to get your dessert, with coffee and they finish the play while you are eating dessert.  It is a lovely evening, and I hope that DH enjoys it.

49xanw.jpg

gather-the-suprising-funny-shakespearean-cat-memes-of-funny-shakespearean-cat-memes.jpg

th?id=OIP.YLlelYVeU_yFPKPp11vozgHaGR&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

• Like 21
  • Haha 10

Good morning. It is already quite toasty outside and will reach 95 or so.We leave in a few hours for the procedure to place the port for DH. Thank you Vanessa for his inclusion on the list @JazzyV.I am always impressed by  your attention to detail in  keeping our lists.

I never tried stilts and we have a neighbor in the NY PD Emerald Society. He is a very good bag piper but when he is outside practicing the neighborhood dogs bark along with him.There are no plants in my house as I am a known plant killer.

We we’re in St Thomas on our very first cruise with my DM, brothers and their wives. We took Mom on an excursion that involved a small boat and rum punch. It stopped at a little island and we all went swimming. I have such great memories of that day as my mom was very sick at the time but really wanted to see”beautiful places” when she could. She did have some of the rum punch and proceeded to get up and dance with the steel band on the boat. I was afraid she would fall so I got up with her too. I can still see her smile as we danced.

@mamaofami, I am glad to hear Sam is home and hope he makes a good recovery.

@marshhawk, Annie, that is such a good idea about the Shakespeare play on Saturday. Again, I am sorry about all the decisions ahead for both of you.

I think I will try Tina’s recipe for lemon chicken. I can marinate it now and cook it later. Thanks Tina @0106. I am always looking for new ways to feed us here and get great ideas every day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1