Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

6 minutes ago, portiemom said:

Apparently I would be shorting the crew by such a miniscule amount that it would not make an iota of difference. But you do you and I'll "maximize the value" I get from "the system that exists." As far as "removing" anyone, that would be Princess' decision, not mine. I always thoroughly answer the after cruise surveys, and occasionally write a note of support on behalf of my room steward, while still on board. My conscious is clear.

Oops, I apologize. It was "flagging", not removing. Removal referred to the gratuities.

3 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

Yup. Exactly. We have an upcoming 32 night cruise for which we have to make final payment 120 days in advance of sailing. We fear what changes they'll "suddenly" invoke post-final payment that would  materially change our cruise experience -- most notably, free laundry service. Ugh.

Punch in Google your State and Deceptive Trade Practices it will be enlightening. 

Just now, ldtr said:

because it was not an Elite benefit. It was never listed as an Elite benefit  It was a separate program above the Captain Circle programs. One had to have cruised more than Elite to qualify certainly. But it was never part of the Elite benefits.

Also gone but not part of an Elite benefit (but you would have to be Elite to get it) were the celebrations and amenities on the cruise when you reached 500 days, 750 days, etc on Princess.

Another Elite benefit that is greatly reduced in value is the free canapes on Formal evenings. Greatly reduced choices and the ones there do not appeal to us at all. Remember when chocolate covered strawberries was one of the choices?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

December 2022

And that was about 6 months after it went from $40 to $50.

50% increase within six months ($40 to $60) is not inflation. It is price gauging.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

So, after only 1300 comments, have we reached the conclusion that rather than being the end of human civilization as we know it, these changes aren't actually very consequential?

I might agree that the changes themselves are fairly minor, what really bothers me is the retroactive way it is being implemented. Going forward, if I book another future cruise, how can I know that what I will get is what I thought I was getting when I booked? How can I be sure Princess will not institute another "upgrade", say to give Plus Package people two "free" shows in the theater at night, and additional ones are now $20? Can anybody be sure such a change, or something else, won't suddenly, with no warning, be imposed? My trust in Princess is way down.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, tellis90245 said:

I might agree that the changes themselves are fairly minor, what really bothers me is the retroactive way it is being implemented. Going forward, if I book another future cruise, how can I know that what I will get is what I thought I was getting when I booked? How can I be sure Princess will not institute another "upgrade", say to give Plus Package people two "free" shows in the theater at night, and additional ones are now $20? Can anybody be sure such a change, or something else, won't suddenly, with no warning, be imposed? My trust in Princess is way down.

Absolutely deceptive to market a downgrade as an “enhancement”. Despite the amount being nominal, they shouldn’t be allowed to add new fees retroactively on already booked and (fully) paid for cruises. $15 per OceanNow activation adds up when there’re thousands of passengers per cruise. I can’t see anywhere in terms and conditions, passenger contract that permits them to do that either.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Level six said:

I wonder if you are on a B2B cruise if you have to activate Ocean Now each segment? 

My future cruise next year which is actually 2 cruises but B2B is viewed as one cruise on the Ocean Now. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tellis90245 said:

Most intelligent and well put message on thread.

sums it up perfectly.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

I'm a retired attorney. The problem for cruise passengers trying to enforce state DTPA'S is that they have generally been regarded to be preempted by federal maritime/admiralty laws, which are not particularly passenger-friendly.

Coupled with the cruise contract that basically gives the cruise line the right to make changes in services and on board prices. Even in the case of the UK PTR 2018 I do not believe that these changes would reach the level of being able to file a claim under their consumer protections.

3 hours ago, spunks said:

say what?... What about the loyalty benefit of $100.00 for those with over 50 cruises?....That is real money! Those with over 20 cruises got $25.00...no more!...and no free internet minutes has happened with in the last 10 years, so I say quite a bit of change to Elite Benefits! Dont forget that the free laundry that used to have a 24 hour turn around now has a 72 hour window.

I understand that Alfredo's now has a charge. I always wondered when that was coming, but I am not happy with the idea that my morning coffee will have a$5.00 fee.

I think that coffee can be ordered on the hanging card and don't that is subject to the fee..I may be wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Level six said:

I wonder if you are on a B2B cruise if you have to activate Ocean Now each segment? 

If you booked as two physical voyages (separate confirmations), Princess says you pay 2X.  If you booked as a single logical voyage, you pay once.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

My future cruise next year which is actually 2 cruises but B2B is viewed as one cruise on the Ocean Now. 

That doesn't matter.

Note that this is PCL current official position.  I don't think it is fair to each scenario.

Edited by Steelers36

2 hours ago, tellis90245 said:

This is my issue with it. I no longer can trust Princess to do right by me and deliver the experience I booked. If this is an indication of the "leadership" of Princess' new President, I have less inclination to book with them moving forward. A very bad look for a supposed 'premium' line.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you booked as two physical voyages (separate confirmations), Princess says you pay 2X.  If you booked as a single logical voyage, you pay once.

That doesn't matter.

Note that this is PCL current official position.  I don't think it is fair to each scenario.

Not applicable in our case as the first leg is leaving Australia port and included in fare. Only the second leg is applicable for grats to be paid. Though the app shows the two cruises as one. But both have different booking numbers.

11 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Not applicable in our case as the first leg is leaving Australia port and included in fare. Only the second leg is applicable for grats to be paid. Though the app shows the two cruises as one. But both have different booking numbers.

The new service fee is not a gratuity.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The new service fee is not a gratuity.

Are you talking about those charges they introduced for people who don't have packages ie room service, alfredos and I forget the other one?

Edited by icat2000

3 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Are you talking about those charges they introduced for people who don't have packages ie room service, alfredos and I forget the other one?

Yes -- and the other is use of Ocean Now to order food/drink to your location.

Edited by Steelers36