Ocean delivery charge instead of Plus upgrade?

mcgratru

Booked cruise in Feb to sail Ruby, Nov 6…..have Plus package as part of promotion so not sure whether we paid $50 or $60 but we do have the old “new” juice bar/dessert upgrade….this weeks changes are not listed on our travel summary and the only new “new” thing we would want is the Ocean delivery/room delivery.

Going to call, and likely wait on hold, to see which Plus level we booked at. I will not upgrade the Plus package (extra $10 x 14 days x 2 = $280) and will argue for the new items,  but would be willing to just pay the $14.99 Ocean Delivery fee? Advice/opinions?

• Like 1

I did the math on another thread for a 10-day cruise with Princess Plus-50 to see if it was worth upgrading. Even for only 10 days the answer was basically no it's not worth it. Unless, you eat at casual dining many times, just have to have those desserts and partake of all the special exercise classes. For us it was better to just pay the $15 Ocean Now fees and then just pay for the casual dining. For a 14-day cruise the argument is even stronger to not upgrade IMHO.

• Like 3

Agreed…and, really, who is doing exercise classes and two extra desserts a day anyway. Plus, just reached Platinum but there is no real benefit in that anymore.

I just want to be able to book a cruise without multiple changes after booking!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, mcgratru said:

Booked cruise in Feb to sail Ruby, Nov 6…..have Plus package as part of promotion so not sure whether we paid $50 or $60 but we do have the old “new” juice bar/dessert upgrade….this weeks changes are not listed on our travel summary and the only new “new” thing we would want is the Ocean delivery/room delivery.

Going to call, and likely wait on hold, to see which Plus level we booked at. I will not upgrade the Plus package (extra $10 x 14 days x 2 = $280) and will argue for the new items,  but would be willing to just pay the $14.99 Ocean Delivery fee? Advice/opinions?

If you booked in November, you are definitely on the old Plus, so either go without the new perks, or upgrade for $10/pp/day.  Yes, you will be subject to the $15/pp/day Ocean Now ordering fee.  IDK if guests can be clever and manage to have one person do all the ordering and save $15.  That only works if you are always together.

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you booked in November, you are definitely on the old Plus, so either go without the new perks, or upgrade for $10/pp/day.  Yes, you will be subject to the $15/pp/day Ocean Now ordering fee.  IDK if guests can be clever and manage to have one person do all the ordering and save $15.  That only works if you are always together.

It is a one time $14.99/pp per cruise fee.

*Included One-Time Delivery Access Fee covers the one-time fee of $14.99 USD/$22.99 AUD for each guest for delivery orders placed through the Princess® MedallionClass® app (OceanNow®). Orders for delivery through the stateroom phone or stateroom breakfast order cards are also included for guests with the Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages. All delivery based on availability and may be subject to additional terms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

OH CRAP!!!  How did I manage to screw this up!!  It is - of course - $15/pp ONE TIME fee that cover the booked voyage. 

And double grr on their dumb 99 cent business.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not paying the fee; they can keep the Medallion (that they promoted and wanted people to use) and just give us key cards! I will be arguing for access to Alfredo’s as that was available to me when we booked our cruise and I don’t think 3 week’s notice of all these changes is fair to pax who have had cruises booked since last year! I’m not paying to upgrade for our 14-night cruise for 7 persons when I’m still only getting 2 visits to Alfredo’s when a 7-night (or less) cruiser gets exactly the same for far less $! It would be different if Princess had said these changes are happening from Jan 2024 and let people decide what they want to do, but to give pax a couple of week’s notice is appalling!

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, villauk said:

I’m not paying the fee; they can keep the Medallion (that they promoted and wanted people to use) and just give us key cards! I will be arguing for access to Alfredo’s as that was available to me when we booked our cruise and I don’t think 3 week’s notice of all these changes is fair to pax who have had cruises booked since last year! I’m not paying to upgrade for our 14-night cruise for 7 persons when I’m still only getting 2 visits to Alfredo’s when a 7-night (or less) cruiser gets exactly the same for far less $! It would be different if Princess had said these changes are happening from Jan 2024 and let people decide what they want to do, but to give pax a couple of week’s notice is appalling!

Can't say I blame you in this situation.

• Thanks 1

Is ordering RS via the tv condidered to be "using the Ocean NowApp???

So if one does not purchase a package (i.e., Plus or Premier), one would need to pay the one-time fee of $14.99? OR, of course, one could also pay $5 per delivery as well.

I understand that using the phone to order, incurs charges.

Looking forward to the answers to follow! Thanks!

Edited by CruzeQueen2
word added

4 hours ago, mcgratru said:

I booked last year and also received as part of a promotion.  I just check my account online and it shows "PURCHASED" under the new Plus program. It says to call if I want the new Premier.

Edited by CLM0928

6 minutes ago, CLM0928 said:

I booked last year and also received as part of a promotion.  I just check my account online and it shows "PURCHASED" under the new Plus program. It says to call if I want the new Premier.

Apparently, there is a line under the boxes where it states that you may not be entitled to all on that list and it has been heavily documented on the other thread in the FAQ that if you purchased prior to Dec 14th 2022, you won’t qualify for any of the new changes to the Plus/Premier packages. We booked under Plus 50 (is stated on our online account), which was the one available at the time, so won’t have any free visit to Alfredo’s (unlike the pax who have purchased this year under the Plus 60).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, villauk said:

Apparently, there is a line under the boxes where it states that you may not be entitled to all on that list and it has been heavily documented on the other thread in the FAQ that if you purchased prior to Dec 14th 2022, you won’t qualify for any of the new changes to the Plus/Premier packages. We booked under Plus 50 (is stated on our online account), which was the one available at the time, so won’t have any free visit to Alfredo’s (unlike the pax who have purchased this year under the Plus 60).

I did not purchase it was a promotion for free when I booked last year.  I thought that was what original post was asking about.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 11.27.37 AM.png

10 minutes ago, CLM0928 said:

I did not purchase it was a promotion for free when I booked last year.  I thought that was what original post was asking about.

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 11.27.37 AM.png

This line is directly under the box you have posted above:

Select items may not be included in your current package. You can review your travel summary for a full list of included items. Please contact us or your travel agent to make changes to your package.

If you hit the link to your ‘travel summary’ on that page, it defines which Plus package you are on. Yours clearly states $60.

Edited by villauk

1 hour ago, CLM0928 said:

Mine also says purchased…..but below is fine print…and this week’s new items are not listed in my travel summary….the old “new” items of juice bar and premium desserts are in my travel summary which means I did pay $60 rate…so who knows….will have to call.

Select items may not be included in your current package. You can review your travel summary for a full list of included items. Please contact us or your travel agent to make changes to your package.”

• Like 1

I paid PLUS 50 - that I know for sure.  My question is do we still have to pay $15 each to activate the Ocean Now app - yes, we both use it, because if we only used 1, we could possibly exceed the '15' on sea days.  If we both activated the Ocean Now app at a cost of $30 total - is there still a $5 charge per room service order. - we do enjoy room service and ordering drinks to enjoy on our balcony.

Our next cruise, if we still go, is on the CB, so no Alfredos, so that part doesn't matter - and we have about $300 OBC to burn thru for whatever charges we incur on the little 5 day cruise

57 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I paid PLUS 50 - that I know for sure.  My question is do we still have to pay $15 each to activate the Ocean Now app - yes, we both use it, because if we only used 1, we could possibly exceed the '15' on sea days.  If we both activated the Ocean Now app at a cost of $30 total - is there still a $5 charge per room service order. - we do enjoy room service and ordering drinks to enjoy on our balcony.

Our next cruise, if we still go, is on the CB, so no Alfredos, so that part doesn't matter - and we have about $300 OBC to burn thru for whatever charges we incur on the little 5 day cruise

The $5 charge per room service order is only for orders made by hitting the "Room Service" button on your telephone. Ordering through the TV or the Ocean Now app do not incur a charge. It's been clarified that yes, you can even have delivery to your cabin without charge as long as you don't order via telephone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Is ordering RS via the tv condidered to be "using the Ocean NowApp???

So if one does not purchase a package (i.e., Plus or Premier), one would need to pay the one-time fee of $14.99? OR, of course, one could also pay $5 per delivery as well.

I understand that using the phone to order, incurs charges.

Looking forward to the answers to follow! Thanks!

I do not believe using the TV to order is using the Ocean Now app. The app resides on your phone. You should not have to pay the $14.99 if you don't use Ocean Now.

The $5 delivery charge is only for orders made to Room Service via your cabin phone.

What gets me with the phone charge is you now lose the ability to customize orders beyond what's in the app or on the TV without incurring the $5 charge. For instance, I want a Gin & Tonic in a tall glass. There's no option for that. In the past I've had to call to get that particular combination and you probably still do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

The $5 charge per room service order is only for orders made by hitting the "Room Service" button on your telephone. Ordering through the TV or the Ocean Now app do not incur a charge. It's been clarified that yes, you can even have delivery to your cabin without charge as long as you don't order via telephone.

9 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I do not believe using the TV to order is using the Ocean Now app. The app resides on your phone. You should not have to pay the $14.99 if you don't use Ocean Now.

The $5 delivery charge is only for orders made to Room Service via your cabin phone.

What gets me with the phone charge is you now lose the ability to customize orders beyond what's in the app or on the TV without incurring the $5 charge. For instance, I want a Gin & Tonic in a tall glass. There's no option for that. In the past I've had to call to get that particular combination and you probably still do.

I believe you are incorrect on this.  Ordering via Ocean Now incurs the 1-time $15 service fee (per booked voyage) and both App and TV are considered Ocean Now.

PS - You don't have to just hit the speed dial either.  Any call from anywhere to RS for order to cabin is $5 fee.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe you are incorrect on this.  Ordering via Ocean Now incurs the 1-time $15 service fee (per booked voyage) and both App and TV are considered Ocean Now.

PS - You don't have to just hit the speed dial either.  Any call from anywhere to RS for order to cabin is $5 fee.

Regarding the TV order, we'll just have to see what is really implemented. I base my "belief" the TV doesn't count as Ocean Now is that only allows orders to your room, not where you my wander off to while waiting for your order. If there's some Princess documentation otherwise I can easily have my mind changed.

The $5 room service charge seems to me to be a way to cut down on the number of phone calls. My recent cruises have shown me it's very difficult to get through much of the time.

3 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Regarding the TV order, we'll just have to see what is really implemented. I base my "belief" the TV doesn't count as Ocean Now is that only allows orders to your room, not where you my wander off to while waiting for your order. If there's some Princess documentation otherwise I can easily have my mind changed.

The $5 room service charge seems to me to be a way to cut down on the number of phone calls. My recent cruises have shown me it's very difficult to get through much of the time.

Put on your Spock hat.  Look at what PCL has done.  You do agree to this point that using Ocean Now on the Princess App incurs a 1-time charge for delivery to wherever.  You also agree that phoning RS incurs a delivery fee.  It is illogical that using the cabin TV to place a food/drink order is somehow going to bypass the new service fee policy.

The only way I see to bypass a service fee is to visit the venue or bar and place/collect your own order.  Or hail a passing waiter.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Put on your Spock hat.  Look at what PCL has done.  You do agree to this point that using Ocean Now on the Princess App incurs a 1-time charge for delivery to wherever.  You also agree that phoning RS incurs a delivery fee.  It is illogical that using the cabin TV to place a food/drink order is somehow going to bypass the new service fee policy.

The only way I see to bypass a service fee is to visit the venue or bar and place/collect your own order.  Or hail a passing waiter.

Or purchase Plus or Premier package.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mcgratru said:

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I'm thinking Steelers 36 mis-read your post....or else I am mis-reading it.

I read it as OP booked the cruise in February 2023 and OP is cruising Nov 6, 2023. If that's the case, they paid $60 and all the new stuff is included. I especially think this is true since they said their Summary includes Juice bar and Desserts.

OP-Is this when you booked? If so, you are "good"!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I'm thinking Steelers 36 mis-read your post....or else I am mis-reading it.

I read it as OP booked the cruise in February 2023 and OP is cruising Nov 6, 2023. If that's the case, they paid $60 and all the new stuff is included. I especially think this is true since they said their Summary includes Juice bar and Desserts.

OP-Is this when you booked? If so, you are "good"!

Yes, I must have misread @mcgratru's post.

My booking says Feb….although it was a refare from Nov….new booking number in Feb with the juice bar etc….hoping to see travel summary with newest items updated before we make final payment next week.

Edited by mcgratru

On 7/29/2023 at 1:14 PM, Steelers36 said:
On 7/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, beg3yrs said:

The only way I see to bypass a service fee is to visit the venue or bar and place/collect your own order.  Or hail a passing waiter

All you have to do is remember that Ocean Now app looks the same ordering on the TV as on your phone. Just think of the TV as a big computer screen .... it's the same system. 

• Like 1