Eliminating Butlers - Spoke to Celebrity. Here is conversation.

LMHSRN

13 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

In response, not having a butler is no big deal IF room stewards are charged with the duties butlers perform on X AND are assigned few enough suites to be able to perform the increased suite duties. That’s how it works on Regent. Anything you’d ask a butler for on X you can ask the steward for on Regent — and get it. There are a few super upper level suites on Regent that are additionally assigned butlers. But the consensus is that they are really not needed. Our experience on X in the Retreat in the past was that the stewards were only there to make up and clean the rooms. So there, butlers are needed. Not so on Regent and other lines in this category.

It's one thing when you book a cruise and know upfront that your cabin category will not have a butler. But when you book a cabin category that at the time was advertised as having a butler and that butler is then taken away with ZERO compensation much later, is BIG deal and why so many here are upset. Its not about whether you need a butler, its about you paid for one that is no longer available. My last car we bought came with a package that included front seat warmers, something we do not really need in South Texas, but if it had been delivered without those seats I paid for, I would by just as upset.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It's one thing when you book a cruise and know upfront that your cabin category will not have a butler. But when you book a cabin category that at the time was advertised as having a butler and that butler is then taken away with ZERO compensation much later, is BIG deal and why so many here are upset. Its not about whether you need a butler, its about you paid for one that is no longer available. My last car we bought came with a package that included front seat warmers, something we do not really need in South Texas, but if it had been delivered without those seats I paid for, I would by just as upset.

Wow... starting to sound like the outrage of Zenith's when they pulled Retreat access. 

BTW Terry,   I agree with you.   Some of the changes without warnings have led many of use to look elsewhere for future bookings.   Celebrity seems to slipping more and more into the classification of Main Line Cruise-line but an a more premium price.

• Like 7

@terrydtx @Jim_Iain  I feel exactly the same way.

In April 2023, while sailing in a Sky Suite on Millennium I booked a cruise for May 2024 onboard the Millennium in an Aqua Sky Suite.  Since I made that booking Celebrity has:

1)  Eliminated without notice the type of Butler service we experienced.

2)  Eliminated from future bookings OBC and Pre-paid gratuities when booking a suite

3)  Raised the prices of the wines me ordered the most so that they are no longer covered by the DBP outside of the Retreat 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just another thing. The reduction in inclusions does not seem confined to Sky Suites. A few years ago, we cruised in a Celebrity Suite. We had full use of mini fridge contents included in the fare, constantly restocked by the butler. I am told that CC mini fridge contents are now at additional charge. Now to get included beverages in a CC, I’m told that the guest has to go to the Retreat Lounge and haul them back to the suite. In that CC fares are now higher than those on traditional lux lines, hauling beverages to the suite yourself is just not  appropriate. Given present CC fares, beverages should be complimentary and delivered to the suite.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dolebludger said:

Given present CC fares, beverages should be complimentary and delivered to the suite.

And thus the difference between "should" and the real world.  

The same could be said of present Sky Suite fares.  But, we have sailed in Sky and Celebrity Suites and the only time anything othere than beer, water, and soda has not been charged for the mini-Bar was when we had the old "Drinks & More" package. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, true. And the only thing we can do is “vote with our wallets”, book a lux line instead, and save money in the process. That’s what we are doing. I’m complaining about the present state of affairs only because our immediate pre pandemic cruises in CS and RS were so good and such a good deal, we are sad that future cruises like those would be unacceptable and unaffordable. And I was speaking or water, beer, and soda, as that is what I drink. But it must be noted that on Regent, we get liquor and wine in the suite too — at a lower fare.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current rumor circulating on Facebook is that Celebrity is working on restoring butler service to Sky Suites and that it will take some months to implement but should be done by June.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The current rumor circulating on Facebook is that Celebrity is working on restoring butler service to Sky Suites and that it will take some months to implement but should be done by June.

Was posted on my Ascent Roll Call by a passenger currently on a B2B…it must have legs.  He has stated he has seen his Butler daily in a SS..at least I think he is in a SS, I will try to verify. 

• Like 1

#4 (from Post 728). Not to forget you pay the same in tips (that are no longer included) in a Sky Suite as you do in the higher suites... but without the same service! 

We will believe that they are adding back in the Butler when it is confirmed, as they have lost our trust on these matters.  One day you have this, then they take it away... now bringing it back?  When Shoreside Concierge called me in December about my upcoming Ascent B2B, I told her we were not happy with the changes including the Butler. She said the guests "love" the Sky Suite Team approach, if so, why change it back? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

#4 (from Post 728). Not to forget you pay the same in tips (that are no longer included) in a Sky Suite as you do in the higher suites... but without the same service! 

We will believe that they are adding back in the Butler when it is confirmed, as they have lost our trust on these matters.  One day you have this, then they take it away... now bringing it back?  When Shoreside Concierge called me in December about my upcoming Ascent B2B, I told her we were not happy with the changes including the Butler. She said the guests "love" the Sky Suite Team approach, if so, why change it back? 

Why bring back original Coca Cola?  New Coke was supposed to be great, everyone hated it. Sometimes bad decisions are made, not trying to correct them is even worse. 

I think they do something for sure to get back much closer to where they were..we shall see.  For those that sail mainly in SS’s, I hope they do…

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

@terrydtx, Hope you are enjoying the Edge and Australia!  When you have a few minutes, could you update us as to how things are going with the Butlers, Retreat, Luminae, and the overall experience, etc.?

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 1

@81Zoomie, We just docked in Dunedin NZ. When we boarded the Edge on Saturday we met the Head Butler and curiously he introduced our room steward as our "Retreat Host". He is absolutely the worst room steward or host of any cruise,  he is brand new and IMO very poorly trained. Service in Luminae has been painfully slow but the food quality has been far superior to our Apex cruise last September.  No complaints about the Retreat lounge they have plenty of my Buffalo Trace Bourbon and a fair selection of Australia and NZ wines included with no surcharge. 

Overall it has been a great cruise more by the itinerary and people onboard than the ship. We have made several friendships with some delightful incredible Aussies. Sydney is a fantastic city with so many friendly people. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Was posted on my Ascent Roll Call by a passenger currently on a B2B…it must have legs.  He has stated he has seen his Butler daily in a SS..at least I think he is in a SS, I will try to verify. 

I would be surprised if they could re-hire and train new butlers that quickly. That said, I would expect Ascent would be the first ship to have the changes rolled back, just like the Decoy Cab Sauv.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would be surprised if they could re-hire and train new butlers that quickly. That said, I would expect Ascent would be the first ship to have the changes rolled back, just like the Decoy Cab Sauv.

He has reported on our Roll Call he is indeed in a Sky Suite..Jan 21, Ascent Roll call..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Will you be in a SS?

Yes…was a very good price when I booked it last year…at least I thought it was..came with the room gratuities and $600 OBC..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bejay219 said:

When Shoreside Concierge called me in December about my upcoming Ascent B2B, I told her we were not happy with the changes including the Butler. She said the guests "love" the Sky Suite Team approach, if so, why change it back? 

Apologies in advance if I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a single impacted SS cruiser saying they 'loved' the team approach.  I recall responses ranged from indifference to incredulity (aka pissed off).

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yes…was a very good price when I booked it last year…at least I thought it was..came with the room gratuities and $600 OBC..

Same here when I booked on the Apex last June...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RichYak said:

But it sure would be nice if it was restored by April on the Apex!!

(Not holding my breath though...)

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:02 AM, terrydtx said:

Very well stated! To me it is a matter of trust and having confidence in the product. Celebrity has lost that from me and I suspect many others. If they take something away and bring it back - so what - they lost my trust. Who knows what they will come up with next. The value, consistency, and quality have decreased enough for me that I have been hesitant to book more cruises with Celebrity. I am not cancelling the 10 weeks I have booked this year on Celebrity ships but my future booking have been with other cruise lines. Some larger ships, some smaller ships - I'll see how it goes. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

Apologies in advance if I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a single impacted SS cruiser saying they 'loved' the team approach.  I recall responses ranged from indifference to incredulity (aka pissed off).

The Retreat team concept was clear BS corporate spin from the start. Celebrity can be such a good product, but Miami’s “this is better” gaslighting approach really irks me. If you’re going to cut back, then cut back and own it. Don’t insult guests’ intelligence and claim it’s an improvement and something that customers want. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

I think a number of them we reassigned to different positions.  So possibly they will get their positions back.

Yeah, the problem is that cruises were sold as having a butler, and all that was delivered was a (renamed and overworked) room steward. Butlers had and have duties beyond the stewards, and where butlers have been removed, nobody is doing those duties. Now that applies to Celebrity. But on our Regent cruise last summer, the room class we booked came with nobody with the title of “butler”. But the room steward came with all the duties butlers had in SS on Celebrity. They had a smaller number of assigned suites, had time to provide those services, and actually performed them. So the problem is not with job ,titles, it is about services that are no longer provided.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

The Retreat team concept was clear BS corporate spin from the start. Celebrity can be such a good product, but Miami’s “this is better” gaslighting approach really irks me. If you’re going to cut back, then cut back and own it. Don’t insult guests’ intelligence and claim it’s an improvement and something that customers want. 

Well said. They keep hanging on to the “this enhances the cruise experience” , “our guests like it” BS. 

It’s not the same, it’s not as good, it just saves them money—- just say it. 

Too bad it won’t be restored by this Sunday when we are on Ascent or next month on Beyond. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3