live from anchorage, pre-cruise to explorer, august 2, 2023

Big Vin

Focus on your family and make the best of the onboard experience. The time to reflect is after the cruise is done. Again, if you aren’t satisfied about something, say something to the Regent team on board. It’s too late to fix something after you get off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Big Vin,,nobody here is in a hurry for your review of your Explorer on board experience in Alaska. But I will consider any specific negative comments as we have a Caribbean cruise booked on the Splendor in March 2024, and will consider any comments about the Explorer as relevant as it as it is a “sister ship” of the Explorer. And I was once a Radisson/Regent “cheer leader” because back in 2002 we booked on the then Radisson Paul Gauguin for the price if about $2500 pp for a 7 nighter. We were picked up at our house, taken to the airport, and flown to LAX, and from there flown to Tahiti. Now nothing like that is happening  for over 4X that price. Please post your experiences at your convenience, I’m interested.

• Like 3

It's not part of my review because it's old news, but there are two physical flaws in the design of Explorer, and presumably Splendor and Grandeur, that I think everyone should know.

One, there is no forward outside viewing area for the guests in the cheap seats. This was not a factor on our trans-Atlantic, but it is seriously frustrating that I can't take photographs from that vantage point in Alaska.

Two, there are no good sight-lines from the balcony of the Constellation theater, and there are pole obstructions on the main level reminiscent of old (old) Yankee Stadium.

Otherwise, the ship is as fantastic now as it was 2017.

Someone suggested that I post a link to my live review, but I believe that particular website is verboten on Cruise Critic. As a devout respecter of rules, I cannot post that link. What I can do, though, is give out my secondary email address, and if anyone contacts me there, I would be happy to share my review(s), including a rare one of a Splendor cruise through the Panama Canal that was cancelled by Regent, March 14, 2020,

bigvin@californiamail.com

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Vin said:

It's not part of my review because it's old news, but there are two physical flaws in the design of Explorer, and presumably Splendor and Grandeur, that I think everyone should know.

One, there is no forward outside viewing area for the guests in the cheap seats. This was not a factor on our trans-Atlantic, but it is seriously frustrating that I can't take photographs from that vantage point in Alaska.

Two, there are no good sight-lines from the balcony of the Constellation theater, and there are pole obstructions on the main level reminiscent of old (old) Yankee Stadium.

bigvin@californiamail.com

Those two issues have been posted time and time again.  I have mentioned on this board many times that Explorer is a terrible choice for Alaska or Panama Canal because of lack of forward weather deck.  Mariner is absolutely fantastic for Alaska as you can quickly go out and in for photos.

There are a number of other design flaws on Explorer and very few were fixed by Splendour.  

• Like 1

Bat Day 1968 (maybe 9).  I was right behind on those "obstructions".  funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Bat Day 1968 (maybe 9).  I was right behind on those "obstructions".  funny

I may have been there as well ... and it may have even been a double header ... and it may have even been against the Twins. They had trouble attracting fans with their product during that period so the promotions were critical.

We used to use those promotional items (bats, balls and helmets - although helmets were probably at Shea - for play, and not for collection. And that day, or maybe another like it, was problematic getting back on the "D" train - not that everyone had a bat - but I recall that the passengers trying to get off the train were pushed back on to the train by the passengers trying to get on the train. That some of us had bats didn't help. 😀

Lest you think I am a hopeless Nitpicker, I should tell you that yesterday was a very good day for the Regent Explorers. We are about to sail away from Juneau which has been another good day so far.

I don't know if Regent does this fleet-wide, but one thing different this trip is that we did not have to exchange the large Festination Services (TM*) ticket for a small numbered ticket. For the three port days in a row, we just met the tour guides on the pier. The advantage is that you can go shopping pre-tour, and then go directly to the tour meeting place with no need to return to the ship. I don't know if that is an accidental change for Covid, or it was someone's brilliant revelation.

When you are in Juneau, don't forget to seek out the statue of Patsy Ann! Here it is from 2005 (top) and then today. I don't know the guy in the photo. If it's the same guy aged twenty years, that's just a marvelous coincidence.

2005.jpg.4027347309937ec9a5f14e217e313b0d.jpg

2023.jpg.7d7f8bc8e7c918a7792baf6b881b9fa0.jpg

Thank you for all the off-line comments! I will reply to them all in time.

* not really - that was an artificially intelligent auto correct
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

This past  Dec the tours that were first thing in the morning met in the theater and changed tickets for bus numbers. Later in the day we just walked off and to the bus. There was someone to show us the way if not obvious.”  It depends on the port situation. 

I said I would post again on August 8, so here it is. Even though we have almost a full day to go, I don't think my conclusions will be substantially different. They must really want us off the ship because the cabin steward placed our luggage on the bed this morning. Doesn't that usually happen with turn down service?

Conclusions:

1. The Production shows are really good. I am somewhat facetious in my nitpicking, above. For example, remember how I described the Irish dancers as looking like zombies because of the lighting and costuming? Well, last night, meaning two nights ago, the production used two songs from The Zombies. How great is that? And that's why ... they ... play ... the ... game.

2. The always available menu needs to go! It gets boring after a few days. And where is the heat? There are asterisks (or icons) for raw food and for healthy food. Where is the asterisk for spicy food? It never happened ... but some like it hot.

3. Only well-behaved children belong on a luxury ship. Misbehaved children should be vaccu-formed and jettisoned into space like General Zod in Superman II. 

4. I always ask myself if an experience is compelling enough to try it again. The Regent experience used to be compelling, but it's not anymore, so I might as well try something new next time. It's already been decided that next time, 2024, is Viking Ocean and Viking Expedition. Maybe Viking Ocean will be compelling and we'll stay with that going forward.  Or maybe Explora Journeys is in our future, or Oceania Vista, or even Crystal's old buckets

Final score:

Nitpickers 31, Explorers 14

"It takes a good team on a good day to beat Frank Tanana." -Frank Tanana

😀

Edited by Big Vin
  • Like 1

Your conclusions are not surprising based on you first post. Regent really isn’t a good fit for you if a major complaint for you is the always available menu side…. After all the items are always available! Most passengers love that feature and we eat off it almost every night. Cruise food is very subjective and generally not too spicy. You can always request more spice though.

If you don’t want to risk an active child or a number of children don’t cruise in the summer on a cruise actively promoted by Regent as a family cruise.

Good luck on finding a cruise company to your liking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The always available menu needs to go! It gets boring after a few days.

I think that CR's always available menu is one of the reasons that so many of us love Regent.  But that's what makes horse races.

Only well-behaved children belong on a luxury ship.

It's already been decided that next time, 2024, is Viking Ocean and Viking Expedition.

Problem solved!

Big Vin, thank you for your honest report.  It is always nice to hear differing perspectives on this forum. even those that are absolutely wrong.

Just kidding!😄

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cwn said:

If you don’t want to risk an active child or a number of children don’t cruise in the summer on a cruise actively promoted by Regent as a family cruise.

I think the problem is more pervasive than I don't want to sail on a cruise with misbehaved children. It's also about Regent's abdication of their responsibilities in regard to those children and their parents. They are turning a blind eye! I witnessed children playing hide and seek in the gangway (non guest area), and scurrying about in the lobby and the hallways. Two nights ago, a family with a one year old and three year old were dancing in the Meridian where the Dixieland band was playing at roughly 11 pm. The one year old touched a cookie and drink (both from the coffee connection) on my table, and one parent was apologetic, but there were a lot of staff present who didn't want to deal with a one year old and a three year old in a bar.

I have in my full review documented many unforced errors. Maybe the worst was the cabin attendant ringing our doorbell which had a PRIVACY hanger on it. He missed us when turn-down was supposed to happen, so we put the sign out. (Maybe a Rugrat reversed the sign?) But maybe more to the point, why does the World's Most Luxurious Ship still have door hangers for privacy and make-up room?

I tried to address common questions I see here, so that's why I included the children in my conclusion, above.

Food is always a topic in this forum The issue with the always available menu is that it is not gourmet cuisine. It's basic! You can get that anywhere. On the World's Most Luxurious Ship they should be able to do better.

I couldn't get a properly seared rare ahi burger at the grill because the slices are so thin, if you sear it at all, it's already not rare. And they wouldn't take my custom order for ahi as I have done on other ships. (It was awhile ago, but the best grill for that was on the Oceania O ships.) They didn't have the themed meal (seafood, tex mex and so on) on the Lido as they sometimes do, which is usually pretty good. This morning I ordered Huevos Rancheros for breakfast in Compass Rose - I even had the discussion about the lack of heat on board. It was bland, and was not served with salsa. Is a little spicy salsa too much to ask?

The only meal I thoroughly enjoyed was at Pacific Rim. I never saw any Pacific Rim items served in Compass Rose. I thought they did that sometimes, but apparently not in Alaska this past week.

So ... starting with the pre-cruise, first post here, and continuing for six days so far, I documented multiple unforced errors, and anyone reading Cruise Critic who might want to know that everything is not all good times and noodle salad on Regent. Seeing that my first cruise on Explorer was nearly perfect. it might be reasonable to conclude that Regent is no longer worth the premium you pay for it.

I'd be happy to address anyone's concerns or answer questions, either here or offline. I will still be live on board Explorer for 20 more hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We were on Viking Ocean last Nov/Dec. You may be disappointed in their entertainment. There was often 2 women in the atrium, one playing piano and the other violin. The observation lounge usually had a young man who sang and played guitar in the evening.

The production shows were very different from those on the one Regent cruise we've taken. Viking Ocean had 4 primary entertainers who sang and danced for the shows (one a salute to Abba and another to the Beatles for example). Viking Ocean entertainment seemed quite a bit scaled back from the production shows we saw on Regent.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Vin said:

I think the problem is more pervasive than I don't want to sail on a cruise with misbehaved children. It's also about Regent's abdication of their responsibilities in regard to those children and their parents. They are turning a blind eye! I witnessed children playing hide and seek in the gangway (non guest area), and scurrying about in the lobby and the hallways. Two nights ago, a family with a one year old and three year old were dancing in the Meridian where the Dixieland band was playing at roughly 11 pm. The one year old touched a cookie and drink (both from the coffee connection) on my table, and one parent was apologetic, but there were a lot of staff present who didn't want to deal with a one year old and a three year old in a bar.

I have in my full review documented many unforced errors. Maybe the worst was the cabin attendant ringing our doorbell which had a PRIVACY hanger on it. He missed us when turn-down was supposed to happen, so we put the sign out. (Maybe a Rugrat reversed the sign?) But maybe more to the point, why does the World's Most Luxurious Ship still have door hangers for privacy and make-up room?

I tried to address common questions I see here, so that's why I included the children in my conclusion, above.

Food is always a topic in this forum The issue with the always available menu is that it is not gourmet cuisine. It's basic! You can get that anywhere. On the World's Most Luxurious Ship they should be able to do better.

I couldn't get a properly seared rare ahi burger at the grill because the slices are so thin, if you sear it at all, it's already not rare. And they wouldn't take my custom order for ahi as I have done on other ships. (It was awhile ago, but the best grill for that was on the Oceania O ships.) They didn't have the themed meal (seafood, tex mex and so on) on the Lido as they sometimes do, which is usually pretty good. This morning I ordered Huevos Rancheros for breakfast in Compass Rose - I even had the discussion about the lack of heat on board. It was bland, and was not served with salsa. Is a little spicy salsa too much to ask?

The only meal I thoroughly enjoyed was at Pacific Rim. I never saw any Pacific Rim items served in Compass Rose. I thought they did that sometimes, but apparently not in Alaska this past week.

So ... starting with the pre-cruise, first post here, and continuing for six days so far, I documented multiple unforced errors, and anyone reading Cruise Critic who might want to know that everything is not all good times and noodle salad on Regent. Seeing that my first cruise on Explorer was nearly perfect. it might be reasonable to conclude that Regent is no longer worth the premium you pay for it.

I'd be happy to address anyone's concerns or answer questions, either here or offline. I will still be live on board Explorer for 20 more hours.

I’m sorry about the young kids on board not behaving properly. That would disturb me too.  We have been to Alaska 3 times on Regent.  We go in May or late August to miss the kids.  Our first Regent cruise was 7 days but since then will not book a 7 day.  We have seen very very few young  kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Flgreg said:

We were on Viking Ocean last Nov/Dec. You may be disappointed in their entertainment. There was often 2 women in the atrium, one playing piano and the other violin. The observation lounge usually had a young man who sang and played guitar in the evening.

The production shows were very different from those on the one Regent cruise we've taken. Viking Ocean had 4 primary entertainers who sang and danced for the shows (one a salute to Abba and another to the Beatles for example). Viking Ocean entertainment seemed quite a bit scaled back from the production shows we saw on Regent.

Actually, Viking is phasing out ABBA and Beatles shows. I probably won’t recognize what they replace them with.

Mr B was happy with the four singers and four band members on the stage in the Star Theatre, while I missed a larger stage and the dancers in a true production show. Mr B was happy b/c all he does is close his eyes and then claim he’s awake and listening.

On Viking Ocean, if things stay the same as now, you’ll get a great rare char-grilled ahi tuna at the Pool Grill. I am surprised that Explorer dropped the ball on that one.

Your cabin attendant was grossly inadequate by knocking on a Do Not Disturb door (after not turning down while you were at dinner), but I think daytime of your last full day onboard is when you actually do need to pack! Turndown service sounds too late.

If this was your first post-pandemic cruise, it seems to have exhibited the post-pandemic-blues issues some other lines have also shown us. I wonder if Regent feels like Alaska is the quiet corner of the world for them, hence the best plac3 to cut when they’re stretched too thin.

I for one look forward to hearing your 2024 plans. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Actually, Viking is phasing out ABBA and Beatles shows. I probably won’t recognize what they replace them with.

I'm guessing that both flgreg and you read the full review because I really dumped on Abba there. AND it's kind of like the food issue - a lot of people like basic food, and Abba as a production show is about as basic as you can get. Better to do something they don't do on NCL and RCCL is my thinking.

As much as I enjoy production shows, I think Viking Ocean will have some live music and that will satisfy me for a short cruise (!2 nights In Search of the Northern Lights, very low risk that I won't like that aspect, and even more so when I consider that it has three overnight visits, Narvik, Alta and Bergen. Mrs Vin and I might stay overnight in an Ice Hotel in Alta.)

Bags don't have to be in the hall until 10 pm, so we will pack between the end of dinner and the 9:30 show. Until then, we used the bed and cabin for a lot of the day.

I think Regent also cut back by having productions shows on five of the seven nights.

I missed out on Krew Kapers because Mrs Vin and I were at a Culinary Arts class. Chef claims that she remembered me from 2017, but that could only be a bad thing, like I was the worst cook ever. Mrs Vin was going to wear a stuffed Disney Ratatouille mouse on her should, but backed out. If she had, I'm sure she would be remembered next time too. 

Today, the cabin attendant did not replenish the fridge. I grabbed a can of Tonic Water thinking it was Club Soda by mistake. And me being a long time member of the Soda Club.

000106362_P1240001.jpeg.20fef7fd1affab2d067e50c5a983fb20.jpeg

Yep, three different musical acts around Viking in addition to the show in Star Theatre. You will find a very peaceful and thoroughly pleasant atmosphere.

The first time I heard about an Ice Hotel, I was flabbergasted. An Ice Bar seems bad enough to me! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Big Vin said:

Just a quick comment about the "every day" selection in Compass Rose.  You want it discontinued, why?  If you don't like the selections, simply ignore the left hand side of the menu.  If you eliminate the "every day" portion all you'll have left is the right side of the menu anyway.  

But honestly, on long cruises especially, the "every day" portion allows for some "de-tox" meals.  We've done 44 nights.  I can't eat the more "gourmet" side of the menu every night, so sometimes a more "bland" meal of chicken and veggies is "just the thing."    But as to it being "basic," sure... "basic" escargot, caesar salad,  steak and lobster with the sauce of your choice (I like Hollandaise on my steak), baked potato and asparagus is... for me.... pretty nice. 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

Just a quick comment about the "every day" selection in Compass Rose.  You want it discontinued, why?  If you don't like the selections, simply ignore the left hand side of the menu.  If you eliminate the "every day" portion all you'll have left is the right side of the menu anyway.  

But honestly, on long cruises especially, the "every day" portion allows for some "de-tox" meals.  We've done 44 nights.  I can't eat the more "gourmet" side of the menu every night, so sometimes a more "bland" meal of chicken and veggies is "just the thing."    But as to it being "basic," sure... "basic" escargot, caesar salad,  steak and lobster with the sauce of your choice (I like Hollandaise on my steak), baked potato and asparagus is... for me.... pretty nice. 😎

I think Big Vin is pulling chains with some of his comments. I read the full review and he also suggested charging a fee for using the elevators, and serving crispy bacon at the gangway. I have to agree with him about dumping ABBA tho. I remember that Crystal over extended Grand Hotel for their intro production show and it became the butt of many jokes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suitcases have always been put on the bed the morning prior to disembarkation--both on Regent and on Silversea. 

I like the always available menu.  Not that I order off it all that much, but it is there if I am just tired of fancy food and want something basic, which usually happens after about a week on board.

If a one year old touched my drink or cookie, I would scold the child, whether it was my kid or someone elses.  Maybe that would get the parents attention.  As grandma to 2 2 year olds, I am really good at saying NO.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Everything Bagel said:

read the full review and he also suggested charging a fee for using the elevators, and serving crispy bacon at the gangway

I feel that EB is wildly misrepresenting my comments. What I wrote was that stairs should be included, but elevators should be Regent's Choice.

Crispy bacon at the gangway is unworkable, but wallpaper that tastes and smells like crispy bacon are doable.

I did order from the always available menu on our first dinner at Compass Rose. I bet you didn't know, but I do now, that the escargot on that menu can be served three ways. The first time, it was served without a fork. The second time it was served with a proper fork. And the third and final time it was served with a spoon!

From rainy Vancouver, I wish you all good and rewarding travels. Big Vin out.

• Haha 1

Big Vin, I hope the Vancouver airport and the airline is more hospitable to you than than they were to my wife's party in June. Of course, Regent has no control over them. 

As far as the differences between your review, and that of my wife for the same cruise just two months before, I have my own interpretation. It is that the cruise lines have not sufficiently recovered from the pandemic situation to be able to offer consistant cruise experiences. So we can no longer rely on an excellent review (or a "meh" one) as a prediction on how a future cruise will be on the same ship. Maybe someday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1