The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 5th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Beer Day, National Underwear Day, and National Oyster Day

Do one thing every day that scares you.--Eleanor Roosevelt

Meal Suggestion for today - Italian Pasta Salad
Drink of the Day - Classic Lemon Drop
Wine of the Day - Familia Zuccardi - Serie A Torrontes 2022
Destination of the Day - Hakodate, Japan Oshima

Today in History:
910 The last major Viking army to raid England is defeated at the Battle of Tettenhall by the allied forces of Mercia and Wessex, led by King Edward and Earl Aethelred

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington d1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada d1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 30 Jul

Nieuw Statendam

Kristiansand, Norway 0700-1600

Noordam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 06 Aug

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Trieste, Italy eta 8/6

Rotterdam

Reykjavik, Iceland 0800(+1

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 1000-1800

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Lerwick, Shetland Isles eta 06 Aug

0805aWorld.thumb.png.7337f7ba2635654054eb3c8140c517ae.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Good morning from a wet 52°F North East England beach.

3 important days.

Yes to national beer day.

Beer Photo last week in the Yorkshire Dales.

No to today's quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day.

IMG_20230805_084157.jpg

IMG_20230805_114507.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33

Happy Saturday! Just like potato salad, Italian Pasta Salad leaves the door open to many interpretations.  Do you have a favorite pasta salad recipe to share?  When I first began cooking for myself, it was all about simplicity.  I’d boil some pasta, put bottled Italian dressing over it and add the vegetables I had in the frig.  If I was feeling fancy, I’d add some creamy Italian dressing too.  Now I prefer to avoid processed foods and make my own dressing but I still use this basic idea.

I looked at a lot of recipes and this Italian Pasta Salad was certainly the most colorful.  I think it would be very flavorful with the fresh ingredients and cheese, it contains salami too.

nzy12Wll1316LSXy40QZFfni0VTCvB8B8iTvdRI0

An Italian in My Kitchen: Summer Pasta Salad This light salad contains mozzarella, corn, tomatoes, celery, pancetta (or bacon) mixed with the pasta and simply dressed with olive oil.

2YyUNN1-x3u395Zg2Xdb0loaiQc9l0v-t5RFt3of

An Italian in My Kitchen: Creamy Pasta Salad is made with fresh tomatoes, avocado, zucchini and herbs and a deliciously creamy Homemade Italian Dressing.

WxhOerpmE1v0bg1fAuNJD83KkFkb81KjRvUvrx1H

Positive thought to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Saturday Fleet Report Rich, and thank you to Vanessa, Tina, and Ann.  I do like underwear but will pass on the beer and oysters.  We should occasionally do things that scare us but every day?  I think for most of us this day in 910 was a great milestone.  I thought I had been to Hakodate but apparently not.  I'm actually not a fan of dressings (I do like a plain salad) so will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, and Veal Chop with Creamy Porcini Sauce as served on MS Prinsendam August 5, 2011.

I think something went wrong with today's report regarding to Nieuw Amsterdam.  I was supposed to be onboard but cancelled after my January issues, and it SHOULD be at sea on the way to Whittier rather than several days late heading for Vancouver.

A touch of fog in my area this morning.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Every now and then The Daily has a post that makes me think The Universe is watching.  Today it is “International Beer Day”.  Early this afternoon I am going to a Multi-Generational Family Gathering.  Everyone brings something to share.  Roughly two thirds of this group LOVE beer.  They scour the stores in their area and try to outdo each other finding beers from all over the world, especially those produced in micro-breweries.  I’m sure a lot of International Beer Tasting will be taking place.

Have a Great Weekend, Everyone!

• Like 32

Good morning friends!  It started out 42 and mostly sunny bright and early here in Qaqortoq, Greenland and will be a lovely 54 and sunny later today.  We arrived before 8 am.  Coral Princess is anchored nearby, too.  We will head over mid morning for a nice walk around town and maybe up the hillside (mountain) to see what's on the other side.  Probably the same as what is always on the other side.😁  But you never know what size iceberg you will see!

Good for beer, underwear and oysters having their own day!  The quote is unusual.  The menu suggestion sounds great and even the cocktail and wine don't sound bad.  The day in history was a long, long time ago but I'm glad to hear reports from so far back, good or bad.  Thanks to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers for our long list of ailing members and spouses, plus family members.  Praying all improve and go on the Celebration list soon.  🙏 Cheers to those celebrating especially @Mr. Boston as he starts the first full day of retirement.  Enoy your cruises, everyone!  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her fine list keeping.

The port of the day is Hakodate, Japan (Oshima) and we had that port on June 25, 2021 and December 22, 2022.  Here are the links for your convenience.  I haven't been there and have no photos to post.  Feel free to add yours.  Thanks in advance!

Hoping all have a very enjoyable day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A lovely morning here, cool and sunny.  I saw a couple of hot air balloons, but didn't have my camera.  Bertie and I had a nice walk.

An interesting collection of days.  Hubby likes a beer once in a while, I wear underwear when it's required,  I don't like oysters.

I don't like the quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll try at least one of those recipes, thanks.  I like the drink too.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for lots of celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, on ECMO

Mamaofami’s DH Sam back in the hospital for brain bleed

1Angelcat’s friend Barb post-surgery for pancreatic cancer

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou having side effects from chemo

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Cunnorl! 

Retirement of Mr. Boston

Cruzn single’s move almost complete

Catmando to start immunotherapy next week and ok to cruise

Kochleffel getting accepted into graduate program and attending the Glimmerglass Opera Festival this weekend

RMLincoln’s DH’s good post eye surgery report

Kazu’s Ivan doing better

Ger_77’s DH much better from gout attack

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 days for Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 6 to Aug 13)

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

And thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Dixie & Tina

Interesting collection of days.  I would love to celebrate oysters big time any day 🙂   Love the quote by Eleanor - there’s a lot of truth in it.  I take it to mean - challenge yourself to do something that seems overwhelming or hard to do.  Love, love Lemon Drops ♥️ 

IMG_0920.thumb.jpeg.8eb43fb4394996c61d1e7b0c236bd277.jpeg

Raining this morning - that’s ok with me since Ivan and I have lots to do in the house - he is such a huge help 😂 And I have to get the testimonial finished for Jose’s bursary this weekend.

My flight is now fixed (unless it gets changed again) to come home.  since I am going to have to stay in a hotel anyways, I got the flight with the longer layover in Toronto - plan to treat my sister & BIL and dear friends of many years there to dinner 🙂.  I’m doing my best to make lemonades out of the lemons.  

Looks like I am losing my fight against the lily beetles out front 😔 the rain keeps washing off the Neem.  But so far, out back - I am winning 🤞 and it’s where the lily trees are.  

IMG_1806.thumb.jpeg.e4e2d845026f2649d02d062dcc306d9f.jpeg

Lunch was nice yesterday - treated my BFF - she deserved a break.  Can’t believe the cost of the new chemo pill they are trying with her DH - $10,000 /month 😱 Insurance will cover the first 3 months under “compassion” but after that - nope.  Hopefully the oncologist has found a program to cover it (the drug company most likely) and hopefully it does buy him some time 🙏  Her poor DH remains in hospital - longer than anticipated.

IMG_1807.thumb.jpeg.0a10dc3e0551891f55e87c8a4b1d7da9.jpeg

IMG_1808.thumb.jpeg.68e54457022f827fd597ad7d5f87b231.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those who are suffering loss, health issues and worries and those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and on cruises.

IMG_0918.thumb.jpeg.799789ce1756d3ec1ffc84ff78948218.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

• Like 37
  • Haha 4

I was reading some posts back on June 25, 2021.  We were in St. Louis watching Ren's Michigan Tigers team play in a tournament there.  The week before we had the memorial service for my DS Nancy.  But there was one paragraph I had to laugh at and enjoy again.  Here's what I said two years ago:

We saw something interesting today.  There is a small electronic type gadget attached to DGS's soccer shoes that they can get results back on an app on the phone.  It said DGS's top speed today was 17.7 mph and he ran 4.75 miles during his game.  DH said "oh and I see you were goofing off 136 times".  DGS's eyes popped wide open and said Wait, what? until he realized he was being teased by his grandpa.  But, how in the world do you run 17.7 mph?  You have to be 14 years old first of all...

Jacqui, your friend's chemo pill price sounds like the price of the medication DB takes for his pulmonary fibrosis.  Exactly that price.  He was able to get a "grant" from a huge pharmaceutical firm to pay for this miracle drug.  I'm hoping your friend does too.🤞🙏

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Top of the morning to all of you. Another heat advisory day. I was really worried about the tree service personnel yesterday. You could see the heat was getting to them and one got stung five times in the head by yellow jackets. They got a lot accomplished. Two large truckloads of brush and trees. They will be back Monday to finish the job. Our property will look a lot better from the bushwhacking.

Beer is not a regular beverage choice for me. It bloats me. I do enjoy visiting a local brewery now and then and have a sample flight.

Underwear day? Oh my we will probably have to endure Red Neck Bob’s description of his Victoria’s Secrets collection!😱

@rafinmd Roy, though I would really enjoy meeting you I would be at a loss preparing a meal for you.😁 Salad with no dressing? No seafood, nothing 🌶️. I think I would take you to your regular attended venue Panera Bread. No matter it would be nice meeting you in person.

Not much planned other than staying cool. Our weekly visit to the Commissary to restock.

Thanks for the Report, List and featured post. Always nice to hear from all of you. Enjoy your weekend. Bruce

image.jpeg.86ad20668eeccba1e713085d3f3368c9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc8a8951e4fe9202933bfbc65655a2c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d8dbe5e024729a01a75e89e4fd4ef1a7.jpegimage.jpeg.1f0976d70bf7798ddb2deb854d5b7d6d.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 26

Happy Anniversary @cunnorl🍾🎂

Good morning.  An interesting group of days , rarely drink beer except when the wines are poor then a Michelob Ultra, underwear a needed garment, I love oysters.  In fact they would probably go great with a Torrontes.  So would the pasta salad perhaps followed by a lemon drop for dessert.  I am happy I don't have to do something that scares me daily.  Thanks to our contributors each morning for these reports to start our days. 

Thanks for keeping us up to date on needs for prayers and shout outs Vanessa.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. 

We are heading to town later today for some errands and a wine and tapas at the local historical museum.  I am sure there will be lots of iron mining and logging history in the museums as that is what these towns up here were built on.   Have a great Saturday. Nancy 

• Like 31

Happy Saturday, Dailyites!

@kazu, I like your take on today’s quote, and agree.  It keeps us from getting complacent.  I like today’s day in History.  The pasta salad recipes   look delicious and perfect for these hot Texas summer days, but I’d be the only one eating it in my family.  

Thanks to all for your contributions to the Daily thread.  Prayers to all in need.  Happy thoughts for all with celebrations or cruising.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely morning after some welcome rain last evening. Bindi & I had an exceptionally long walk this morning. We didn’t meet one fellow dog on our trek! Very unusual. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings, so we can all commiserate or celebrate. No gym this morning. I need to get a flower bed prepped for stump grinding. The bed is on my neighbor’s and my property line, though both of us thought it was legally on my side of the line - until I had a survey done. It is actually hers, but I told her before we had a handing off ceremony, I needed to get rid of the dying oak tree and plant something else. The tree is gone. The stump is next.  Then Bindi walks, chores and prep for dinner with friends at my place. Possibly with some pool time thrown in. 

IMG_1582.jpeg.83f0f84c4f4e9aeecf08f1bcd63b0264.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg.8fa0de5098e89e55a1938686605dcb98.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

@cunnorl, Charlene hope you & your DH have a very Happy Anniversary !

@Mr. Boston - enjoy a very looooong & happy retirement!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Familia Zuccardi - Serie A Torrontés 2022

I need to find this white wine from Argentina. I do not believe I have ever even tasted a Torrontés before. It sounds perfect for a hot humid day. And it is easy to find and very reasonably priced with prices starting at $12.99.

Winemaker Notes

Zuccardi Serie A Torrontes sports an intense yellow greenish color with a delicate and unique nose, full of white flowers such as roses and citrus blossom. Also, it reveals notes of mature white fruits and citrus zest. The wine is well structured with a lively acidity but remains centered around the aromatic intensity and delicate finish.

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
They have had a parral vineyard rented in Tolombón to produce the only wine not from Mendoza, and that vineyard has always been used for this wine. The 2022 Serie A Torrontés is from a "normal" and classical vintage there, despite being a completely different world from Mendoza. The wine has a moderate 13.3% alcohol and a low pH, denoting freshness and wine that aims to show the typical style of Torrontés. It fermented in stainless steel and with short maceration to avoid rusticity and look more for the citrus and herbal side of the variety. It ferments in Salta and then is moved to Mendoza, so the wine has no geographical indication on the labels. It comes through as fresh and vibrant, with depth of flavors and very nice precision and clarity.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good early morning from central Texas.  It is already 83F and feels like 88F with a 9mph wind.  The humidity is 65% with a dew point of 71F.  Our high will be 106F.  It is mowing day, so I'm trying to get outside as early as possible before it gets too much  hotter.

I like beer but lately it has not liked me.  I would think national underwear day would be everyday.  I will also celebrate oyster day, but without any oysters which are hard to find in central Texas.  I like oysters most ways except raw.

It's good to test yourself with things that are scary, but I don't think I'd want to everyday.

We'll pass on the salad, the drink, and. the wine.

We may or may not been to Hakodate, but stopped at that island, for a tour to Sapporo.  Either port, it was pre-digital.

Another interesting day in history.

@cruzn single  Mary Kay, congratulations on the move and on how quickly and efficiently you got things done.  Enjoy your new home.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, if we hadn't canceled this years world cruise on Coral Princess, we could have met you, Dennis, @dfish Debbie and Sue in Qaqortoq today.

@kazu  Jacqui, it's nice you could arrange your homeward flight to allow you to treat your DS, DBIL and friends to dinner.  I hope your BFF's DH can get a grant to help with the chemo costs.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad the tree people managed to get a lot accomplished in spite of the heat.

It's time to start getting ready to tackle the yard and face the hot weather.  With our drought, there is now a lot less to mow, so I should be finished fairly quickly.

365465452_769211565207433_443332317488700254_n.jpg.5ce58a48c36ae1d01c87a42485f65d92.jpg

357137770_24117337094532011_3403109275395096284_n.jpg.1fa5a7724099b4c9fe9906042f0d4c46.jpg

362612560_293338170029475_8346089607957447901_n.thumb.jpg.6b4e12280cb47e3177ea32b2013fcc6f.jpg

363823565_699162398921411_6651294112895652766_n.jpg.8a3feed9262c0bd689cbef38c441c562.jpg

364128737_854174212745010_3434795695433665992_n.jpg.f16567f2504eb080cdda862f476f0092.jpg

364723138_589900110014486_7081362893113073542_n.thumb.jpg.c6e67e073078d2067e3123c004f32913.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Haha 19

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all the contributors.

National Oyster Day, Beer Day and Underwear Day. No explanation required, except I don’t wear the same underwear multiple days by turning them inside out ! 😳

IMG_1156.thumb.png.2d9f1bc6100e7409509c4de141fa2145.pngIMG_1155.thumb.png.b19b541a34ad6a2f3e1986e20909151d.pngIMG_1154.thumb.png.8507cae613341f9c30290704d833e90b.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 16

Good morning,

I have been reading the Daily but have not posted. Still no news on baby Murphy. I have not been asking to let them have some privacy. This is so sad. I am hoping for a miracle. 

DGS greeted me yesterday telling he missed me. That warmed my heart. DGD crawled up in my bed and stated she was spending the night until her parents heading for the door. I give her another six months and she will be brave enough. 

@cruzn single I am glad your move is going well. I clearly remember the same thought process a year ago when I moved. I am very happy I moved and I hope you will be too. 

Prayers for those on our list and others in need. Smooth sailing and loads of fun for the lucky ones cruising. Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3