What is your pet peeve(s) with Holland America ?

scubacruiserx2

Just now, RuthC said:

It works fine. Just leave something to mark your seat, then head off and get your meal. 
I've been sailing solo for over 20 years, and rarely have trouble finding a seat. Especially a solo doesn't need an entire table; one seat per 'seat' at a time is sufficient. 

Just now, RuthC said:

It works fine. Just leave something to mark your seat, then head off and get your meal. 
I've been sailing solo for over 20 years, and rarely have trouble finding a seat. Especially a solo doesn't need an entire table; one seat per 'seat' at a time is sufficient. 

I figured that out long long ago but it may not be the same for everyone.  As a solo i try my best to not take a table that seats 4 or more even when all the tables are full as I really prefer to eat alone. More often than not if i do sit at a table for 4 alone i end up having people join me...almost always they at least ask though i have had a few times when i come back to find my table with a book on it occupied by two or three others.  I would never think of just plopping down at an obviously occupied table without even asking but it does indeed happen.  The best answer i have found is to just flat out avoid peak hours by adjusting my eating times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pet peeve is the bedding and bed. We hate the too hot duvet - prefer sheets and a light blanket, which is getting harder for the steward to find. (Last cruise, the blanket he found had a hole in it).

Also, 2 twin beds make a king, not a queen size bed. Except on ships! The beds are too narrow. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, boeckli said:

As another solo traveler these days I had the same problem. It was probably somewhere on CC that I read about this tip. Make up a little card (from card stock or similar) and laminate (or cover with clear packing tape like I did) that you can place on your table. Sized to fit in my small bag I carry around (see approx. size on the image below). Gets some curious glances from waiters and other pax but has worked fine so far.

Solocruisertablecard.thumb.JPG.fdfb10ac5b13fefe29f7e1ff2f61e8e7.JPG

Brilliant!  Thank you.  I probably saw this years ago before I was solo and forgot about it.  thank you 🙂 

• Like 2

My pet peeve is that, like airlines that charge for seats and I think the price should include the seat, and with HAL, I think the price should include Crew appreciation service charges.

Just show me one  price that includes the crew appreciation service charge please. Dont make it added on.

Edited by pmjnh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

Caribbean Chris - How did you get the AARP $50 credit? 

You just enter your AARP number on the HAL website. Amount varies by cruise duration. See terms & conditions:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/community-appreciation-cruise-offers/aarp-member-benefit-offer

10 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Pet peeve is the bedding and bed. We hate the too hot duvet - prefer sheets and a light blanket, which is getting harder for the steward to find. (Last cruise, the blanket he found had a hole in it).

Also, 2 twin beds make a king, not a queen size bed. Except on ships! The beds are too narrow. 

I take my own blanket. It's a hospital blanket so very thin.

A few pet peeves onboard HAL for me:

It’s 2023. Airlines and hotels offer free wifi at faster speeds than HAL’s premium plan. Hopefully Starlink will fix this by 2024.

There should be signs that say you are allowed to skip the lido omelet/custom prep line if you are just grabbing something to go at the end of the counter. Like the Asian station on Pinnacle class is also an omelet station and I just want to get congee. Avoids getting death stares by some. 

People filling their refillable bottles directly from the tap instead of using a glass to pour in the water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, kazu said:

I am curious what the OP’s pet peeve was?  they said they booked suites - ok - no biggie - but they gave no pet peeve.  Whatever can be the problem?  They have a concierge to fix them (and yes I used to do suites on occasion).  Starting a negative thread makes sense IF you have one.  But since they listed none other than to say 9/10 suites, I’m bamboozled.

Pet peeves depend on every cruise you are on.  They are all different and different experiences.  I just wish HAL would update the website to give us our loyalty discounts and let us book our “free” Pinnacle dinners in advance.

Did you read post 36 ? HAL charging $36 dollars for the same water package that Princess charges $ 7 for is like HAL charging $ 35 for a beer that Princess charges $ 5 for . It's a rip off . 👎

19 hours ago, kazu said:

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While this is an interesting thought, perhaps the original peeve of people sitting in a restaurant playing cards for hours while not eating should be addressed. There are plenty of places to play cards except the restaurant. Perhaps the solution is for people to grab a clue and exit the restaurant when finished eating. It's situational awareness, don't be rude.

I agree. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Besides all the valid booking/website purchase issues mentioned like using your OBC before the cruise I wish they would update both seeing all available cabins at a glance and creating an automated proxy bidding system for upsells. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, boeckli said:

As another solo traveler these days I had the same problem. It was probably somewhere on CC that I read about this tip. Make up a little card (from card stock or similar) and laminate (or cover with clear packing tape like I did) that you can place on your table. Sized to fit in my small bag I carry around (see approx. size on the image below). Gets some curious glances from waiters and other pax but has worked fine so far.

Solocruisertablecard.thumb.JPG.fdfb10ac5b13fefe29f7e1ff2f61e8e7.JPG

I prefer using this.

chairhog.jpg.c6546f898b8e547f4a471b6edddd55f3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

A "Line Starts Here" at the whichever end of a lido station we are supposed to start at would go a long way to calming the chaos in the Lido Buffet.

Last cruise, some lines started at the menu and some were the opposite.  I just don't get this.

• Like 6

I seem to have missed most of these issues. I guess keeping my schedule a bit different than the majority makes the Lido never an issue for getting food or finding a table. So playing cards in the Lido hasn't been an issue that affected me.

I do miss the classical music, though...

• Thanks 2

On 8/5/2023 at 2:17 PM, Iamthesea said:

😉 I loved the shaving bar so much (after first experiencing it on a Celebrity ship) that I installed them in 3 of our new build bathrooms.  The other bathroom has a tub.  I also put in handicap bars in all bathrooms!!!

IMG_3228.jpg

02.jpg

Bath 3.jpg

This is one of the things that I love about CC.  I would never in my life realized what that small bar in a shower was for if it wasn't for these posts.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just got off Westerdam in June and was in a Neptune suite I did not get free water other than one free bottle when I boarded. Also I did not get offered free water in the Neptune lounge other than a small glass from a dispenser. The bottles were not free.

Pam I missing something here?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I just got off Westerdam in June and was in a Neptune suite I did not get free water other than one free bottle when I boarded. Also I did not get offered free water in the Neptune lounge other than a small glass from a dispenser. The bottles were not free.

Pam I missing something here?

My name isn’t Pam - but that’s ok 😉 

Seriously - there is water in the NL - lots of it - just take a refillable bottle and  fill it from the dispenser there to use.  I often took glasses back to our cabin.  No biggie.  We always got free water in the NL on every sailing.  My last NS was the Oosterdam though in November, 2022 but it was a given.  I doubt I will ever do it again now, sadly.

• Like 2

You can always find something wrong if you want to.  If you are talking about people; that's one thing.  But, it seems like you are talking about HAL.  IDK, I guess I'd like them to answer the phone more quickly, but covid did a number on people working, so really can't blame HAL.  I guess if I could book a suite 9 out of 10 cruises, I'd be pretty happy.  Honestly, I don't get the reason for the post. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The thing I like least is how people fall for these, 'Let's complain about...' threads. 😉

Yes, I know I'm posting to it, but I waited pretty long.

In the interest of contributing to the whine & dine segment, here's what has positively ruined cruising for me:. When they rolled out the Dive In concept to replace the Terrace Grill, they got rid of the Dutch health food, Frikandellen. Now the ships have pickleball and the chance to experience "Frikandel & Pickleball" has been ripped away from us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Not knowing if HAL cooks with spring water..  sigh..

I think they cook with summer water right now, unless you're in the southern hemisphere, then they are cooking with winter water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 20