What is your pet peeve(s) with Holland America ?

scubacruiserx2

No desire to focus on negatives - there is much to like, heck even to love, about cruising HAL or I wouldn't continue to do it. With that said, my one real little jab is OBC related:

1) not being able to see $$ amount and type of OBC in my bookings (yes I know I can get an invoice from TA or HAL) - I'd like to see it in the booking on the website🫣

2) not being able to use OBC prior to boarding to pay for excursions, dining, etc (yes I know how to get it moved once onboard) - I'd like to not have to make special requests in this age of technology 🙄🤔

Oh, wait, there is 1 more not OBC related - cannot get HIA on certain bookings no matter who I call - that really annoys me, especially when it causes me to spend more $$ than I would have had I been able to buy HIA.🥵

Not bad enough to make me leave HAL, but you did ask...

When the "peeves" become "deal breakers" and the bad exceeds the good, then I'll go. Until then, I'm happy and blessed to be 4* working my way to 5*.😊

• Like 8

I am curious what the OP’s pet peeve was?  they said they booked suites - ok - no biggie - but they gave no pet peeve.  Whatever can be the problem?  They have a concierge to fix them (and yes I used to do suites on occasion).  Starting a negative thread makes sense IF you have one.  But since they listed none other than to say 9/10 suites, I’m bamboozled.

Pet peeves depend on every cruise you are on.  They are all different and different experiences.  I just wish HAL would update the website to give us our loyalty discounts and let us book our “free” Pinnacle dinners in advance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I have another pet peeve for ALL the cruise lines...

I have been on 10+ cruises and the Konigsdam was the first ship I encountered that had a little shelf (here I go with shelves again!) that you could put your foot on to shave your legs.  Otherwise, you're half in and out, with towels on the floor and hopefully the toilet nearby to put your foot on.

Yay Konigsdam!  God bless you for realizing some of us want to shave our legs easily when we're in the Caribbean!

Edited by fabuloso
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, fabuloso said:

I have been on 10+ cruises and the Konigsdam was the first ship I encountered that had a little shelf (here I go with shelves again!) that you could put your foot on to shave your legs.  Otherwise, you're half in and out, with towels on the floor and hopefully the toilet nearby to put your foot on.

Yay Konigsdam!  God bless you for realizing some of us want to shave our legs easily when we're in the Caribbean!

All of the Pinnacle class ships have this feature in the shower, i believe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fabuloso said:

😉 I loved the shaving bar so much (after first experiencing it on a Celebrity ship) that I installed them in 3 of our new build bathrooms.  The other bathroom has a tub.  I also put in handicap bars in all bathrooms!!!

IMG_3228.jpg

02.jpg

Bath 3.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 3

My pet peeve is the Navigator App.  We sail Carnival frequently & it's HUB app is a bit easier to use with a few more functions.  My main gripe is dinner reservations- on HUB app you can request a table through the app & the app alerts you when your table is ready, giving you the freedom of wandering the ship or whatever instead of waiting in line.  This of course is for "anytime" dining.  Hal & CCL are owned by the same parent company, can't they take the good things from all brands & spread them to the others?

While lido is usually crowded for breakfast, we rarely have had trouble finding a table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

No desire to focus on negatives - there is much to like, heck even to love, about cruising HAL or I wouldn't continue to do it. With that said, my one real little jab is OBC related:

1) not being able to see $$ amount and type of OBC in my bookings (yes I know I can get an invoice from TA or HAL) - I'd like to see it in the booking on the website🫣

2) not being able to use OBC prior to boarding to pay for excursions, dining, etc (yes I know how to get it moved once onboard) - I'd like to not have to make special requests in this age of technology 🙄🤔

Oh, wait, there is 1 more not OBC related - cannot get HIA on certain bookings no matter who I call - that really annoys me, especially when it causes me to spend more $$ than I would have had I been able to buy HIA.🥵

Not bad enough to make me leave HAL, but you did ask...

When the "peeves" become "deal breakers" and the bad exceeds the good, then I'll go. Until then, I'm happy and blessed to be 4* working my way to 5*.😊

I wholeheartedly agree!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

The fact that we still have to sign slips even though we have the drink package.

I actually love signing the slips. Every few, I add a dollar tip. That way I don't have to bring extra US$ and try to hunt down my favorite bar-servers at the end of the cruise!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roz said:

I sail solo so that strategy doesn't work for me. 

I was just about to post the same thing. When you do get somewhere to sit, you have to leave a book or something to show that you're coming back or your plate may be cleared and your seat taken.

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Ineke said:

We now always find a place to sit first, then one of us goes to get our food, then the other. It works well, and no cold food.

That's the best plan and it works great.  But when I'm solo, I find a table,  put things on it like a glass of water or cup of coffee, plus a magazine/book, maybe a small plate with cookies,  and then go back for Round 1 of food.  Once I plant the flag, the table is mine. Best availability is by the Aft pool.

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

The fact that we still have to sign slips even though we have the drink package.

I refuse to sign the slips, it hasn’t been a problem.  Once the server gets to know me, they don’t even bring them anymore.

I have seen the same “canned” lectures numerous ships.  I would like to see more guest lecturers and cooking demonstrations.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ineke said:

We now always find a place to sit first, then one of us goes to get our food, then the other. It works well, and no cold food.

Roz’s issue (I believe) is she is solo like I.  I used to do the same when I had DH but life changes and not necessarily for the better.

It’s harder for a solo to pull that off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Roz’s issue (I believe) is she is solo like I.  I used to do the same when I had DH but life changes and not necessarily for the better.

What we need are seat fillers like they have at the awards shows.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Mabs said:

They need to get some new entertainment. We go on a lot of cruises with HAL so we have seen most of the shows several times and lately did not even go to them. Sure would be nice to have something new.

Agree  it seems to be a struggle for  them . We  have come to the understanding  enjoy what they give  in music walk & the occasional show 

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I loved the shaving bar so much (after first experiencing it on a Celebrity ship) that I installed them in 3 of our new build bathrooms. 

I believe Celebrity was the first to have these in their showers. 

If I remember correctly, when the Pinnacle class was introduced, the same design firm was used as designed Celebrity Solstice class ships. I suspect that has something to do with having that little feature added.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I believe Celebrity was the first to have these in their showers. 

If I remember correctly, when the Pinnacle class was introduced, the same design firm was used as designed Celebrity Solstice class ships. I suspect that has something to do with having that little feature added.

The remodeled bathrooms with the glass enclosed showers in the Cat. D Lower Promenade deck OV cabins on the Zaandam also have the foot bars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

They expect me to leave when my cruise is over. What's with that?

I have experienced the same thing at the end of my cruise.  I hope this stops soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

That's the best plan and it works great.  But when I'm solo, I find a table,  put things on it like a glass of water or cup of coffee, plus a magazine/book, maybe a small plate with cookies,  and then go back for Round 1 of food.  Once I plant the flag, the table is mine. Best availability is by the Aft pool.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I was just about to post the same thing. When you do get somewhere to sit, you have to leave a book or something to show that you're coming back or your plate may be cleared and your seat taken.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

As another solo traveler these days I had the same problem. It was probably somewhere on CC that I read about this tip. Make up a little card (from card stock or similar) and laminate (or cover with clear packing tape like I did) that you can place on your table. Sized to fit in my small bag I carry around (see approx. size on the image below). Gets some curious glances from waiters and other pax but has worked fine so far.

Solocruisertablecard.thumb.JPG.fdfb10ac5b13fefe29f7e1ff2f61e8e7.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

My pet peeve is there needs to be a dedicated area at the pool bars for walkups. There is no order or organization. You can wait at the bar for 10 minutes to be served and someone walks up and the bartender waits on them first. I can overlook that once but not twice. Then I have to say something. Three bartenders working the pool bar and whoever happened to be in their line of sight got waited on ahead of everyone who had been waiting.
There should be a sectioned off area with pylons and ropes for people to walk up to request a drink. And preferably a dedicated bartender for walkups. On Eurodam it was chaos.
This was truly my only criticism of my cruise. Everything else was excellent.

Edited by TriumphGuy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dockman said:

How does that work if you are travelling solo?

It works fine. Just leave something to mark your seat, then head off and get your meal. 
I've been sailing solo for over 20 years, and rarely have trouble finding a seat. Especially a solo doesn't need an entire table; one seat per 'seat' at a time is sufficient. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1