Restricted EZ-Air fare - a cautionary tale

pompeii

We're sailing from Seattle soon and had booked a flexible EZ-Air flight on Alaska Airlines.  Since we're within a couple of days of the 45 day cut off for flexible fares, I decided to rebook our flight from flexible to restricted on the exact same flight. Fare dropped from $197 to $157pp.  

During the rebooking process for the restricted fare I had the option to choose seats like normal, which I did. Everything proceeded normally until I completed the booking and saw that the seat assignments didn't stick.  I went into manage flights and tried again with no luck.  I then went to the Alaska Airlines website and found that unbeknownst to me, this was a savers fare with no seat assignments until at the airport.  Nothing on the Princess website indicated this.  My previous flexible fare had seat assignments.  I read the "fare restrictions" and only difference between flexible and restricted is that the latter has to be paid at the time of booking and is non-changeable/non-refundable.  Nothing about it being a savers fare.

I spoke with both Alaska Airlines and EZ-Air and was told too bad.  My only option is to wait and probably get stuck in middle seats or pony up the extra $$ to buy upgraded seats.  Worst $80 I ever saved...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pompeii said:

We're sailing from Seattle soon and had booked a flexible EZ-Air flight on Alaska Airlines.  Since we're within a couple of days of the 45 day cut off for flexible fares, I decided to rebook our flight from flexible to restricted on the exact same flight. Fare dropped from $197 to $157pp.  

During the rebooking process for the restricted fare I had the option to choose seats like normal, which I did. Everything proceeded normally until I completed the booking and saw that the seat assignments didn't stick.  I went into manage flights and tried again with no luck.  I then went to the Alaska Airlines website and found that unbeknownst to me, this was a savers fare with no seat assignments until at the airport.  Nothing on the Princess website indicated this.  My previous flexible fare had seat assignments.  I read the "fare restrictions" and only difference between flexible and restricted is that the latter has to be paid at the time of booking and is non-changeable/non-refundable.  Nothing about it being a savers fare.

I spoke with both Alaska Airlines and EZ-Air and was told too bad.  My only option is to wait and probably get stuck in middle seats or pony up the extra $$ to buy upgraded seats.  Worst $80 I ever saved...

These are tough. I never get restricted fares because there are so many variations on the different carriers, they can’t possibly list each airline individually, as to all the restrictions.  Not to mention how often airlines are making changes too.
Sometimes the restricted fares are higher, go figure.

What’s the fee for Alaska to select seating?

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, pompeii said:

While I have never booked an EZ-Air flight that close to deadline, I never pay any attention to the Restricted Fares and filter them out right away.  I have often noticed in casual glancing that, if available in advance, often can be higher or no savings.  IMO, they are useless in terms of utilizing the advantages of EZ-Air.  But, I do understand your situation.

I do know that in terms of Flexible Fares, EZ-Air is not selling the lowest possible fare for any airline which are those kinds of seats you ended up with - no inclusions and sometimes no seat selection.

OTOH, I don't see EZ-Air attempting to advise a shopper of all the differences among airlines and what they include and don't include.  I think there is a general warning about that.

It is news to me to see that a Restricted domestic fare could be a lowest possible category and not the same as the seats sold under Flexible.  The fare difference may correspond to Alaska's own pricing if you shopped directly.  It always costs more to book a seat with seat selection than a seat where you don't get a seat until 24-hr check-in or sometimes even assigned to you with no choice.

Another cautionary words on Restricted Air (it was cheaper than flexible, quite a bit actually). I booked a cruise past final payment and about 40 days out (so I couldn't make changes). I figured not a big deal, can't make changes anyway. 

I was ill and had to cancel. Princess's insurance did not cover restricted air (for a covered reason). I believe they covered a penalty fee but I got an air credit that I believe had to be used with Princess air. Could not use direct with the air line. This was not cheap air.

Thankfully I had also purchased a 3rd party insurance and they covered the air cancellation.

I would not book restricted air again. I am not even sure if I would opt to ticket my flight sooner because I believe it becomes restricted at that point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I had booked our flexible fare on the same flight months ago and only changed it to restricted yesterday.  I didn't see any general warning, or specific warning for that matter, that the restricted fare did or could have restrictions other than being non-refundable.  My viewpoint is, especially since EZ-Air prompted me to choose a seat assignment during the booking process, how was I to know that there would be no seat assignments?  I think that there should be some sort of pop up warning that it was a lower category fare.

Anyway, like I said, a cautionary tale.  And a mistake I won't be making again.

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

These are tough. I never get restricted fares because there are so many variations on the different carriers, they can’t possibly list each airline individually, as to all the restrictions.  Not to mention how often airlines are making changes too.
Sometimes the restricted fares are higher, go figure.

What’s the fee for Alaska to select seating?

The fee to select seating is $109 pp.  

Edited by pompeii
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pompeii said:

You are penny foolish! Should have kept the seats as is

11 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

You are penny foolish! Should have kept the seats as is

Um, well, the point of my post is that if there had been any way to know up front that I would be giving up the option of choosing seats, I would not have changed.  I have used EZ-Air for just about every Princess cruise I've been on and never come across this.  I posted to caution others that this could be the case if they choose a non-flexible fare.

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I would not book restricted air again. I am not even sure if I would opt to ticket my flight sooner because I believe it becomes restricted at that point. 

5 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks for this info.  So far have stayed away from restricted fare.  Have done "early ticketing" once to be able to book Premium Economy seat.  

I have requested Early Ticketing using EZ-Air page in the Personalizer.  Once ticketed, passenger is subject to the airline rules for the ticket(s).  This is not necessarily the same as if guest originally booked a Restricted Fare ticket in EZ-Air.  As seen in this thread, it might even be an entirely different class of ticket.  Certainly, once ticketed, changes will cost.

I have ticketed early in order to be able to do seat selection (airline dependent).  I also ticketed a bit early in 2022 as there were too many stories about guests being surprised that PCL had not paid for airfare or had not got them ticketed with EZ-Air and I wasn't taking any chances.  It was also clear by the time I did so that fares were not going to be going lower and were already well-above what I had locked in at.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have requested Early Ticketing using EZ-Air page in the Personalizer.  Once ticketed, passenger is subject to the airline rules for the ticket(s).  This is not necessarily the same as if guest originally booked a Restricted Fare ticket in EZ-Air.  As seen in this thread, it might even be an entirely different class of ticket.  Certainly, once ticketed, changes will cost.

I have ticketed early in order to be able to do seat selection (airline dependent).  I also ticketed a bit early in 2022 as there were too many stories about guests being surprised that PCL had not paid for airfare or had not got them ticketed with EZ-Air and I wasn't taking any chances.  It was also clear by the time I did so that fares were not going to be going lower and were already well-above what I had locked in at.

I know that before we could do it ourselves - I ticketed a flight early and my TA read to me "this now becomes a restricted flight".

All I can tell you is that my Princess insurance would not cover a cancelled flight that was bought "restricted" when I had a covered illness. The Air Credit was not seen in United (it was seen but said I had to go through my travel vendor). The only place I saw the air credit that was accessible was via Princess through my agent. 

I have no experience with ticketing early a flexible flight and cancelling a cruise due to illness but I just thought I would throw this out as a warning.

I am thankful I had a 3rd party insurance also or else I would have been stuck with a $2700 flight air credit through Princess. I live in a small city and air is expensive where I fly from.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I know that before we could do it ourselves - I ticketed a flight early and my TA read to me "this now becomes a restricted flight".

All I can tell you is that my Princess insurance would not cover a cancelled flight that was bought "restricted" when I had a covered illness. The Air Credit was not seen in United (it was seen but said I had to go through my travel vendor). The only place I saw the air credit that was accessible was via Princess through my agent. 

I have no experience with ticketing early a flexible flight and cancelling a cruise due to illness but I just thought I would throw this out as a warning.

I am thankful I had a 3rd party insurance also or else I would have been stuck with a $2700 flight air credit through Princess. I live in a small city and air is expensive where I fly from.

Understood, but I was trying to indicate that if a guest has a Standard Economy ticket booked via EZ-Air Flexible fare and another guest ended up with Basic Economy with the same airline by booking originally as EZ-Air Restricted, the first guest is not going to be changed to Basic Economy when they are ticketed - whether at standard 45 days or earlier at 60 days.

• Like 1

The more I think about this, the less inclined I am to consider that this is a question of Princess not being able to inform us of the restrictions of different airlines.  I selected "Economy" when I did my search for flights, I selected from those economy fares, and I expected to receive economy, restricted or otherwise.  The fare class I received was "Basic Economy." Those are two different fare classes and should be advertised as such.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks for this info.  So far have stayed away from restricted fare.  Have done "early ticketing" once to be able to book Premium Economy seat.  

And when I request early ticketing the fare magically dropped by a reasonable %. Not quite to restricted fare, but almost

My advice would be to download the Alaska app and add your flight using the Alaska booking code. Check in exactly 24hrs before flight, choose seats (hopefully you’ll find two together) and then check seats frequently right up to boarding. I’ve changed seats frequently using this tactic until I get a seat I want. (Although I’ve never booked basic fare because of no upgrades). 

Edited by caryh
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, caryh said:

My advice would be to download the Alaska app and add your flight using the Alaska booking code. Check in exactly 24hrs before flight, choose seats (hopefully you’ll find two together) and then check seats frequently right up to boarding. I’ve changed seats frequently using this tactic until I get a seat I want. (Although I’ve never booked basic fare because of no upgrades). 

Thanks for the advice.   Are you speaking specifically about Alaska Airlines or just airlines in general? When I spoke with Alaska on Saturday, she said seats would be assigned at check in so I'm hoping you're correct and I can choose our seats when I check in 24 hours ahead.  Hopefully we can snag two seats together, but at the very least I want to get my husband an aisle seat.  He will NOT be happy if he is in a middle seat.  

In the meantime, I've contacted my pvp to see if I can get any satisfaction there.  Selling basic economy as standard economy seems like a bait and switch to me.

I’m only speaking of Alaska although I just read that they changed rules so it doesn’t look like basic fares can pick or change seats on the app. I would still download the app and check in asap and beat the other basic fares in line to get seat assignment. I’m guessing you’d have to go to the counter to change seats if seats open up. 

21 hours ago, pompeii said:

Um, well, the point of my post is that if there had been any way to know up front that I would be giving up the option of choosing seats, I would not have changed.  I have used EZ-Air for just about every Princess cruise I've been on and never come across this.  I posted to caution others that this could be the case if they choose a non-flexible fare.

And I thank your for doing that.  Now we know to keep a wary eye out if booking thru EZ-Air. 

• Like 1

So my pvp is denying that Princess sells basic economy fares: 

"We don’t book any savers fares or basic economy seats its always standard, I also spoke with ezair who assured me the same thing."  And in a follow up email: "EzAir has advised they offer lowest available fare and they don’t offer basic economy seating."

This is after I sent her my flight confirmation from Alaska Air showing clearly that it is a basic economy "X" Saver Fare.  I followed up with a screenshot of a chat with an Alaska rep confirming that ours is "indeed a Saver Fare" (his words.)

These responses are frustrating and extremely disappointing.  I've always been an EZ-Air cheerleader because it's worked out well for us in the past.  I've requested that she escalate it; even if I don't get anywhere with my situation, they need to quit doing this.

It was nice of you to share your experience; I’m sorry you had to go through it to be able to warn others about it. I always choose the flex fare to be safe. It does seem logical in your circumstances to do what you did. It seems like Princess didn’t used to ever offer saver fares, but that thought is from years ago. Now because most airlines offer them, I guess they have started to include them. They should warn people though. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a follow up to my situation...Princess still hasn't owned up to booking us on a basic economy fare and it still shows as a basic saver fare on Alaska Airlines, but miraculously we now have seat assignments.  And although they aren't the exact same seats we originally booked, they are in the same row.

Interesting...I guess all's well that ends well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1