Nieuw Statendam is doing a great job.

52 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We are on the Nieuw Statendam , which is a full ship. Staff is friendly, We had dinner last night in Canaletto which was excellent.

Music Walk is hopping every evening.

I am impressed. 

Considering your total experience with HAL, this is good to hear,  We join you onboard in October of this year.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We are on the Nieuw Statendam , which is a full ship. Staff is friendly, We had dinner last night in Canaletto which was excellent.

I am impressed. 

Did Canaletto have the old or new menu?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

After sailing the Koningsdam I booked the NS with trepidation.  I absolutely loved it.  Now my favorites are the Zaandam and the NS.  

It's fun going on a traditional Holland America ship and then going on a Pinnacle class ship.

Both are good/fun. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I am impressed. 

Good to hear this.  We understand Presty, from the Zuiderdam World Cruise, is one of the MDR mangers.  Also Rudi Solomin was recently onboard.  The Stat has great itineraries as it doesn't repeat very often, making it ideal for longer back to back cruising. We know at least one man who has been onboard since Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

After sailing the Koningsdam I booked the NS with trepidation.  I absolutely loved it.  Now my favorites are the Zaandam and the NS.  

How is the NS fundamentally different from the Konigsdam?

K-dam was one and done for us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

How is the NS fundamentally different from the Konigsdam?

K-dam was one and done for us.

The flow of human foot traffic seems much less congested, it is lighter and brighter and when I was on it, never seemed to suffer bottlenecks for dining or tenders. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Is Captain Noel O'Driscoll the current Master? If so, he is one of the most personable captains on HAL.

Yes, he is.  I am not one who remembers names very well but his I do.  Nice person

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good to hear this.  We understand Presty, from the Zuiderdam World Cruise, is one of the MDR mangers.  Also Rudi Solomin was recently onboard.  The Stat has great itineraries as it doesn't repeat very often, making it ideal for longer back to back cruising. We know at least one man who has been onboard since Ft Lauderdale.

Yes Presty is here. 

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Is Captain Noel O'Driscoll the current Master? If so, he is one of the most personable captains on HAL.

28 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes, he is.  I am not one who remembers names very well but his I do.  Nice person

Captain O'Driscoll is one of the best!  He did our vow renewal on the NS in 2019 and we sailed with him again last year.  

• Like 4

Thanks for starting a "they're doing great" thread. It is a welcome change from all the whining threads and complain for the sake of complaining threads. We will be embarking on our first HAL cruise in about 2 weeks. We enter with open minds and thankful we don't know how it "used to be". Hopefully what is will be very good and this may be our new best cruise, who knows.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I am impressed. 

oh nice to hear this.  I thought music walk is going away or was it just one thing.

I will be on NS next June from Copenhagen doing Norway and Iceland.   

• Like 2

We did the 14 day Norway on NS last month, North Cape from Copenhagen.  We had a fantastic time, loved every minute of it! Ate in the MDR every night except one dinner in Tamarind (also great) and there is really no need to go to specialty restaurants as the food was outstanding.  Loved that they brought fresh fish on in ports. Cruise and travel director Clare Adams was really good as was Amanda the entertainment director.  Don't miss the fun in Ocean Bar during the daily happy hour!

We were told by Clare that HAL is bringing back some classical music starting this month and I believe it has already started on this ship, something we used to look forward to on previous cruises.

• Like 4