The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 8th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Cat Day, National Frozen Custard Day, and Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. - Abraham Lincoln

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Enchiladas
Drink of the Day - Mexican Julep
Wine of the Day - Illuminati - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Riparosso 2020
Destination of the Day - Kanazawa, Japan Ishikawa

Today in History:
1609 Venetian senate examines Galileo Galilei's telescope

1871 After considering a petition signed by 149 Dunedin women the University of Otago decides to permit women to attend its classes and sit examinations, becoming the first university in the British Empire to do so.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 09 Aug

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Katakolon eta Olympia

Rotterdam

Invergordon, Scotland 1000-1800

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09 Aug

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Isafjord, Iceland 0900-1800

Zuiderdam

Rotterdam, The Netherlands

0808World.thumb.png.7cbef551a2c37410f9a7d328a9ba2c99.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, on ECMO

Mamaofami’s DH Sam in the hospital for brain bleed, await repeat CT scan results

1Angelcat’s friend Barb post-surgery for pancreatic cancer

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

3 killed in Firefighting helicopter crash

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Retirement of Mr. Boston

Cruzn single’s move almost complete

Kochleffel getting accepted into graduate program 

Kazu’s Ivan doing better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Mexican Julep cocktial:

Ingredients
3 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part Agave Syrup
1 barspoon Water
5 sprigs Mint, Fresh

Instructions
Muddle 4 mint sprigs in pewter mug. Add agave syrup and a barspoon of water. Fill with crushed ice. Add Sauza® 901®, stir well. Add more crushed ice. Garnish with fresh mint sprig.
*A bar spoon holds about 5 millilitres of liquid (the same as a conventional teaspoon). Its long handle is similar to an iced tea spoon, but is usually decorative and elegant – some variations mimic large swizzle sticks, with a disc at one end.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 6.51.45 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Good Morning, Everyone!  We had terrific storms in MD yesterday afternoon and evening.  They continued through the night.  (I was awakened by thunder and lightning about 3am.)

A lot of folks are without power.

This morning is sunny and clear in the part of MD where I live.

Have a lovely day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Overcast and windy this morning.  

I'm sure Cat Day is everyday for some households.   I enjoy frozen custard.  I wouldn't mind some zucchini, I hope a neighbour gives me some.

Love the quote, too bad some politicians take it as a challenge.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to today's port.

Very important days in history, thanks.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently 63°F and sunny at 11.55am with a high of 68°F later.

Cats deserve to be treated well every day 

Never had frozen custard or Zucchini 

It is always best to tell the truth because you don't have to have a good memory.

Prayers 🙏 for our care list members.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Screenshot_20230808_115749.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  We arrived in Isafjordur before our 9 am official arrival time, to find they are in the process of building a dock here.  Last summer we tendered over from Island Princess.  They are still filling forms with concrete even as we are docked here and had to fashion a make-shift walk over the gravel and rebar where the dock isn't finished yet.  Progress being made in this small town.  Temp is around 52 according to my phone app but the TV still says 48.  A layer of fog keeps appearing and disappearing at the base of the mountain.  We'll get ready for a walk around town in a while.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  Many will be happy about it being International Cat Day.  Frozen custard, is that the same as frozen yogurt?  I guess I'll have to pass.  And today is the day to unload some of those zucchini on your unsuspecting neighbors!  Wear a disguise so you're not found out.🤣  The chicken enchiladas sound good, the drink and wine are probably not my cup of tea.  The quote is a good one from old Abe.  And the days in history excellent. Thank you Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports! 

Our port today is Kanazawa, Japan Ishikawa.  This was our port on Dec. 16, 2021 and May 28, 2022.  I have no photos since I've only been to a couple of Japanese ports so please show your photos if you can.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the C&C lists already this morning.  Prayers for the many in need on the Care list.  🙏  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Thanks to Terry @smitty34877 for the amazing photo of Miss Camilla yesterday.  She's all grown up and such a beauty.  Hoping for good news for Baby Murphy now that the doc is back. 

Hoping for a fun jaunt around Isafjordur, our third visit here, then maybe a nap because this clock changing ahead so often is tiring me out considerably!  Hope all have a great day ahead of them!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Enchiladas are a staple of Mexican cuisine, you will find them on the menu at almost any Mexican restaurant. This classic dish consists of corn tortillas that are rolled and filled with almost anything, from cheese and beans to shredded chicken or thick chunks of steak, then smothered in sauce and topped with cheese. The word "enchilada" comes from the Spanish word "enchilar," which essentially means "to spice with chilis," so enchilada sauce traditionally contains one or more types of chili peppers. 

Most recipes call for baking enchiladas in the oven, but some versions call for frying them on the stovetop. Unlike tacos, enchiladas are not a finger food. Home cooks often serve them like a casserole while restaurants tend to serve them two or three at a time, but either way, you should eat this cheesy, gooey dish with a fork. 

Enchiladas are easy to make at home, even for beginners. Tradition calls for prepping the enchilada sauce fresh, but you can easily use canned sauce for a quick version. After the sauce, all you need are tortillas, a filling like pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or canned beans, and shredded cheese. 

Chicken enchiladas might just be the most popular type of enchiladas. Even less adventurous eaters usually feel comfortable trying a dish centered around chicken and cheese. Chicken enchiladas are typically smothered with red enchilada sauce, topped with Monterey Jack or cotija cheese, and heated through until the cheese is perfectly melty. Homemade chicken enchiladas are easy to make ahead and the leftovers freeze beautifully, and they are also a wonderful meal to pack up and bring to friends who may be in need of some cozy comfort food.

Best Chicken Enchiladas These Tex-Mex style chicken enchiladas are easy to make with a basic filling of sautéed chicken, green chiles, onions, beans and shredded cheese. Then they are rolled up in your choice of either flour or corn tortillas, baked until hot and melty, and sprinkled with lots of fresh toppings. The real magic of this recipe lies in the homemade red enchilada sauce that brings it all together. This red enchilada sauce only requires a few extra minutes of prep time, but the flavor that it adds to these enchiladas is major. 

SrDIZV3THR-UptHGs1qp0VO6Eios-jCQl3kN4en6

Easy Chicken Enchiladas  Honestly, a recipe could not be easier than this one! These easy chicken enchiladas feature corn tortillas stuffed with shredded chicken and cheese, topped with the best enchilada sauce, and even more cheese! They’re baked until the cheese is deliciously melted and bubbly.

o3c444D7mnjL_iiHqv8AflBlnSKsZ44kfQwn8sEb

Skinny Taste's Low Carb Enchiladas  This recipe suggests using low carb whole wheat flour tortillas and serving the enchiladas with a veggie rice.  Recipes are included for cilantro-lime and mexican cauliflower rice. It also suggests using  leftover chicken breasts or a rotisserie chicken to save time.

Vc1qbSSMxKHywRwZWpWcSjzVEWfH5d9bhkpzrmpO

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! It is already quite humid out this morning. Bindi just made a quick trip outside this morning. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings! Just gym, Bindi walks, chores and more health insurance research - that will keep me busy. 

IMG_1595.jpeg.5ea23b9d2dcb3cea6599b1bc20382f20.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg.ec7026567e98ddedae4609c553492d4d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Illuminati - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Riparosso 2020

An interesting description. I would taste it, but I am not usually a fan of strong cherry flavored wines. But I have been wrong before. Widely available with online prices starting at $9.99.

Winemaker Notes

Ruby red with a hint of purple in its early stages. On the nose, red fruit notes, agreeable and persistent. It reveals itself as full-bodied, deep, ripe, harmonic and persistent with a final hint of licorice.

It is best served with roasted red meat, braised meat, game, noble poultry, semi-matured cheeses. It is also an ideal accompaniment to lamb and baby goat dishes.

90 Wine Enthusiast 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

Thank you for the Tuesday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  Good catch on replacing the trip down memory lane with the Summer Olympics Closing Ceremony (from your template; today 3 years ago) with National Frozen Custard Day which I will definitely celebrate.  Many here will celebrate International Cat but hope my neighbors won't sneak any zucchini onto my porch.  Thank you also Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Tina,  2 great days in history for science and women.  I have not been to Kanazawa.  Love the Lincoln quote.

Like Icand1923 we had nasty storms last night but all looks ok this morning.  The severe damage was to the 2 counties north of me.

I'd prefer my chicken not in an Enchilada.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Berkshire Pork Rib Roast, and Triple Berry Alaskan Tart A La Mode which I might have enjoyed my first night on Grande Dame (Rotterdam V) August 8, 1997 (I don't have those actual menus so I'm using menus from Westerdam in 2018).

Roy

• Like 32

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report, recipes and lists.  All hail the cat!  I haven’t had a frozen custard in a long time.  This is that time of year when zucchini suddenly appears out of nowhere.  I like the quote, sadly even though it’s true it doesn’t stop some from trying.  The meal sounds delicious especially if paired with the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

Good morning. We are back to humid conditions and were spared the worst of the storms last night. Lou and I made it to the MD office and back without needing  an umbrella.

He is experiencing  fatigue along with the expected GI issues. The next Chemo session  starts on the 14th.

I filled in the Camilla history on yesterday's  thread but thank Sharon for stepping in for me. She is a happy and lively 2 year old and keeps her parents  busy.My DSIL and niece help her mom out especially  when my great nephew is at sea for 2 weeks at a time.

Cat are celebrated here every day.DD has five indoor cats now all rescues.She also works with a rescue that stays and neuter outdoor  cats.

The quote is a good one but it is terrible  that people lie so readily these days.

I make all types of enchiladas but enjoy chicken enchiladas  the most.I will save the low carb recipe for another day as we have lentil soup for dinner tonight. Thank you Tina @0106.

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It is 82F and feels like 87F with a predicted high of 105F.  Our humidity is 68% with a dew point of 71F along with an 11mph wind.  If DH feels like it,  we'll be troubleshooting the problem with the car early this morning.

We had cats for most of our married life until the mid 1990s.  Cats are interesting and independent creatures.  I'll not be celebrating frozen custard or zucchini today.

Abraham Lincoln really nailed with today's quote, and everyone should remember and live by it.

I like enchiladas, but prefer cheese enchiladas at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  Somehow, I've never been successful making enchiladas.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting.

We have not been to Kanazawa, Japan, so I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from those who have been there.

Two interesting and important days in history.  Da Vinci opened the skies to people.  New Zealand was a leader in women's rights, including college and the right to vote.

@lcand1923 and @rafinmd Roy, I'm glad you both did not lose power of have any damage from the storms.  I hope all the other Dailyites in the path of the storms fared as well.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you are enjoying Isafjordur today, and that you stopped at the bakery for a treat.  It's interesting about the dock as we always docked in Isafjordur on our three stops there.

352285410_638242298338781_4574530898044908117_n.thumb.jpg.1fa12e078ba6b8bb197a41b54ada50c7.jpg

354443647_641229294706748_2017623766145763378_n.thumb.jpg.e40e2e51edf653e7b32d9acfb6bef690.jpg

354984314_763412422457117_6733968201529913730_n.thumb.jpg.fa7e3fd69d25b8ab6d19c19cf8a3be38.jpg

355151834_564996095840032_1943252861040208407_n.jpg.a7b59dd3622ff32a7a91a3e5edb2fed8.jpg

358101117_214419664891398_1434319379783915870_n.jpg.6ca42b4db3a2c5d55a1cb75cd2df1984.jpg

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Haha 21

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Just returned from driving my son-in-law to the car dealer to have them check something. They leave tomorrow for the drive to Chicago and we leave Thursday. The occasion is Lilly's baptism and first birthday! I have to admit that the fun of driving has left me after doing the same trip four times last year. Summer road construction and the usual congestion at the Chicago end has me thinking of continuing west from Indianapolis into Illinois. Then to go north which is about another hour but maybe less irritating.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.   I will always celebrate cats although I no longer have them. Happy memories of frozen custard from Kohrs off the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk.  Zucchini have way of getting too big overnight. Great quote by Lincoln.  I absolutely love chicken enchiladas, thank you @0106for the recipes.   Pass on the minty cocktail but today's wine looks good.  Thanks @summer slope and @cat shepard.  I look forward to photos of today's port.  

I pray that those recovering from surgery are well, Barb and Murphy.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

Last night as I was deciding whether to shut our large slider to the screened in porch my lamp lit up a flyer on the porch.  It was a bat.  It had been 10 years since we had a bat inside a living area.  The gray nose disease wiped out many of them so they must be rebounding. John zapped it with ether spray and whacked it and killed it.  Basically no safe way to remove them. 😿🦇.  I got a large clump of Shasta daisies dug up and divided and replanted in more visible places.  Fishing today.    

For international cat day, a Siamese from Olinda, Brazil, a shorthair from Peru, a waif that showed up at my house that I rehomed and my last 2 kitties, Lydia a Maine Coon and Tiny a Korat. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20200803_164043338.jpg

IMG_20191022_084915990.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

being brief, woke up too many times last night, no cats...after we gave them a midnight snack of temptations and catnip they all passed out where they were, and we had no cats to snuggle with us, guess thats why i didnt sleep well.  missed the babies,

pt yesterday was a bit too much, could not get comfortable was in pain all night

this morning i meet up with my lung doctor, to find out their latest results.  DH wants to go with me, but that means that he must wake up!  If you are not there 15 minutes before your appointment, they will cancel it.  too many patients.  i guess...

then lunch, walk the dog, and go to work, after work I have one more telephone training, and tomorrow I start with my new campaign.  

While I did send an email to the big boss, I have not heard back from her.  There were manager meetings yesterday, and out of my 3 bosses, I only heard from one. So I think I got one of my bosses yelled at, a problem to them I am sure, as telling the truth, was getting to be a problem, she kept placing me in campaigns that she was associated with, so that she knew when I would  be available to go back and work one for her when it opened up.

so busy day-cats will be celebrated, no more wild parties tonight for them!

kliban-c8.jpg

International-Cat-Day-768x768.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. 

Woke to a nice breezy but short lived morning. 104 to 106 for the next 10 days. It's starting to look like a desert outside.

We always rolled our windows and locked our doors at church. Zucchini was everywhere and would end up in your car if you weren't careful. 

In honor of cat and zucchini day:

image.png.d1896fbd479ba8444fb22d5ab7911b48.png

Prayers lifted for our Daily family. Especially Murphy, Sam, Sandi's family and friend and of course hugs and positive thoughts to sweet "S".

Today is washing the car and oil change. Making beef vegetable soup from our pot roast last night, a salad, and crunchy baguette. 

Wishing you a fabulous Tuesday. Be kind. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Just a quick Good Morning before I have to get going

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have to get ready for our appointment with the attorney at 12 noon.

Everything is ready.  All papers are prepared and DH is on board.

Say a prayer all goes well.

Terri

• Like 31

Good morning. Stayed up late and slept late. Currently 87 degrees and another sweltering extreme heat index warning is forecasted.

Just saw a news flash the popular Rockaway Beach in New York has been closed due to shark activity. A woman was attacked and in critical condition. Seems like shark attacks have been more prevalent in recent years.

First thing on agenda is to go get a haircut after coffee and of course catching up on the Daily.

Thanks for the Report, Care List and Recipes. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.59899d7bdaf5d3c685a23b5b3e5bd094.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e886641f41da66fddbfd9f73e8b143fd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ec05bfb57695e5079e44879bfeddf9b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05199245b53aac60ccc09d8338b66dee.jpegimage.jpeg.82f099bf46aa0093421b9f006871b776.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ae67f20e191a335103c9c374241cb45f.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 19

Good morning with yet another sunny, dry and windy day ahead. At least the temps have moderated a bit and it was downright chilly when I walked the dogs.... 45F with wind. I'll take it although would prefer no wind. Our fire is under control. It was lightening caused (no rain) and in a remote area where it can burn out.

Little new.... have not had cats for years although I do care for other people's at times. Need to check today on Duffy and Jiffy.

Off to the store. More later.

Susan

• Like 24