Pier 88 to Moynihan Hall (Amtrak)

latebloomer56

I'm sorry I did search but can't find the answer to this question. What would be the best route back to the train station Moynihan Hall from Pier 88. Reading how difficult it is to get a taxi after our cruise on Carnival Venezia, we return Sept. 8th. which is a weekday. We plan to take a taxi from the train on Aug. 30th. to the hotel near the port. Just want a walking route if no taxi available after the cruise. We walked this from Time Square a few time but that was a while ago.

Thank you for any information.

36 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Just want a walking route if no taxi available after the cruise.

It will take you about 35-40 minutes with luggage. Just take any street from where you are at the pier to 9th Ave and then just take 9th Ave South and you'll be right at Moynihan's back entrance. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It will take you about 35-40 minutes with luggage. Just take any street from where you are at the pier to 9th Ave and then just take 9th Ave South and you'll be right at Moynihan's back entrance. 

Thank you very much. Hope to grab a taxi, but it's not looking to good.

There is a taxi stand across the street from the exit of pier 88 much like the one outside of Penn Station. There are also a lot of private drivers hustling for rides as you exit the pier. Be careful, their charge is outrageous. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thank you very much. Hope to grab a taxi, but it's not looking to good.

When you are in the baggage claim area in the cruise terminal, grab a porter before you get your bags. Tell them you need help with your bags and getting into a cab. They’ll take your bags as you go thru immigration and then, based on my own experience, they’ll walk you across 12th Avenue and put you into a cab. Give them a good tip. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

When you are in the baggage claim area in the cruise terminal, grab a porter before you get your bags. Tell them you need help with your bags and getting into a cab. They’ll take your bags as you go thru immigration and then, based on my own experience, they’ll walk you across 12th Avenue and put you into a cab. Give them a good tip. 

Thank you we did this twice before when we sailed NCL. When I posted doing this was flamed big time then told it's not done since facial recognition. I will definitely look for a porter for this. Greatly appreciated your input.

26 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thank you we did this twice before when we sailed NCL. When I posted doing this was flamed big time then told it's not done since facial recognition. I will definitely look for a porter for this. Greatly appreciated your input.

You’re welcome. How you clear immigration in the MCT has nothing to do with whether a porter can assist you with your luggage. With facial recognition lines, the porter just stands off to the side with your luggage on their cart, then they rejoin you once you’re through. We just did this in February. 

Have a great trip! 

• Like 1

This will cost more but you could always get a "car service" to pick you up. Then you would have a reservation AND no need to cross 12th Ave either as they pick up on the inside of the terminal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

This will cost more but you could always get a "car service" to pick you up. Then you would have a reservation AND no need to cross 12th Ave either as they pick up on the inside of the terminal. 

FYI, while most of the time a car service can pick up on the cruise terminal grounds, on  a couple of occasions we've had to cross 12th Ave to get our ride. Due to unusually heavy traffic conditions when multiple ships were in port the police were not permitting car services to enter the cruise terminal to pick up passengers.

21 hours ago, njhorseman said:

FYI, while most of the time a car service can pick up on the cruise terminal grounds, on  a couple of occasions we've had to cross 12th Ave to get our ride. Due to unusually heavy traffic conditions when multiple ships were in port the police were not permitting car services to enter the cruise terminal to pick up passengers.

Hello, We have gotten excellent information from you in the past. Question are you allowed to post the service you used? It's such a short trip not like getting to and from Brooklyn, never gave it a though.

Thanks as always.

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hello, We have gotten excellent information from you in the past. Question are you allowed to post the service you used? It's such a short trip not like getting to and from Brooklyn, never gave it a though.

Thanks as always.

Thanks for the compliment. I try to help as best I can.

My choice would be either Carmel Limo or Dial 7.  However be aware that for this very short ride you're going to pay a premium. Car service fare could easily be in the $30-$35 range plus tip. Uber/Lyft probably even more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Thanks for the compliment. I try to help as best I can.

My choice would be either Carmel Limo or Dial 7.  However be aware that for this very short ride you're going to pay a premium. Car service fare could easily be in the $30-$35 range plus tip. Uber/Lyft probably even more.

Question for you please......would you have an idea what Dial 7 or Carmel would be charging for a ride from Pier 88 to Newark airport?

Taxis are still king in NYC, but Uber is changing that. In NYC Uber is regulated like a taxi, they need taxi plates and taxi licenses. However, Uber is still allowed to price by zone and surge. I have had some luck walking a block away in Manhattan and getting an Uber, although I have never tried this at the cruise terminal.

On 8/11/2023 at 5:21 PM, AFS1970 said:

some luck walking a block away in Manhattan and getting an Uber, although I have never tried this at the cruise terminal.

I have done this at both Manhattan and Brooklyn Piers, walked up a block, and then did an Uber for both and the trip was picked up by a driver very quickly and was out of the mess at the pier(s). Of course, I was fine with hauling one bag that on an airline would have to be checked and a backpack. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, White123 said:

I called about a limo.  Over 100 plus 15 toll

A limo from where to where?

This thread is mostly about about travelling between Moynihan Train Hall and Pier 88 of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, and there's certainly no toll involved for that, nor should the two mile trip cost $100.

Are you travelling between Manhattan and New Jersey in one direction or the other as one poster asked about?

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

After our Carnival Venezia cruise this past October, we walked off around 8 am with our luggage, crossed the street to the line of legit yellow cabs and immediately got one who took us to Monyhan Train Hall. We had no problems at all.

• 4 weeks later...

After our Carnival Venezia cruise this past October, we walked off around 8 am with our luggage, crossed the street to the line of legit yellow cabs and immediately got one who took us to Monyhan Train Hall. We had no problems at all.

Can you tell me how much the cab was