Celebrity downgraded and moved ONE of our three cabins!

FriscoMo

We are group of three couples traveling on a sold out Summit trip out of Boston in September.  Although we're traveling together, our three cabins were booked individually. 

Yesterday, one of our three cabins was downgraded to a lower class and moved to the floor below our reserved rooms!  Like many groups traveling together, we had picked three rooms next to each other. 

When we called Celebrity, they said "You called and requested to downgrade and change your room."  My brother didn't call Celebrity and make such a request!  Upon further questioning, the Celebrity rep told him, the change was made "in house".  He's talked to several Celebrity reps since then, but since the cruise is sold out, there's not much they can do! Celebrity says "they're looking into the problem".   Did someone at Celebrity bump someone out of a room to make space for a family or friend?

Incidentally, my brother is a cruise travel agent and these reservations were made in August 2022.  He said, "At least they did this to me and not one of my clients!  But I'll never book another Celebrity cruise!"

Has this happened to anyone else?  This is ridiculous!  

Edited by FriscoMo
typo

I am sorry that happened to you. If the change is not reversed, the other two couples are bound to see the new cabin occupants going in and out of the cabin. I would be tempted to have short, casual  conversations with them, eventually asking how they booked that cabin. It won’t change the situation, but would be advantageous in the event of escalating the issue with Celebrity. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, FriscoMo said:

This and worse has happened to large numbers of Celebrity guests on the double and triple booked Japan cruises as a result of lift & shift errors from the Covid cancellations.

No way to be sure if this is another one of those or just an unrelated error, but it does seems there are flaws in the internal processes that can result in two bookings being assigned to one cabin, in which case they will move or cancel the later booking it seems.

Certainly should be a refund due if this is a downgrade, what class was the original cabin, and the one they were moved into...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FriscoMo said:

Incidentally, my brother is a cruise travel agent and these reservations were made in August 2022.

Did your brother book under a special discounted travel agent rate, that might open him up to a room change if needed by the ship and/or cruise line?

2 hours ago, FriscoMo said:

We are group of three couples traveling on a sold out Summit trip out of Boston in September.  Although we're traveling together, our three cabins were booked individually. 

Yesterday, one of our three cabins was downgraded to a lower class and moved to the floor below our reserved rooms!  Like many groups traveling together, we had picked three rooms next to each other. 

When we called Celebrity, they said "You called and requested to downgrade and change your room."  My brother didn't call Celebrity and make such a request!  Upon further questioning, the Celebrity rep told him, the change was made "in house".  He's talked to several Celebrity reps since then, but since the cruise is sold out, there's not much they can do! Celebrity says "they're looking into the problem".   Did someone at Celebrity bump someone out of a room to make space for a family or friend?

Incidentally, my brother is a cruise travel agent and these reservations were made in August 2022.  He said, "At least they did this to me and not one of my clients!  But I'll never book another Celebrity cruise!"

I thought I posted already, but you really need to send an email to the executive offices.  I would not wait for them to get back to you.

• Like 2

• My brother says Celebrity didn't know he was a cruise travel agent unless they somehow put it together.  He booked his cabin through the system just like he booked the other two rooms.  He immediately contacted the company he works for and they are working the problem.  And he has talked to numerous Celebrity people.  I'll suggest an email to their executive offices, although he may have already done that.  (He was QUITE upset yesterday when he realized this had happened!)   
  • It's amazing that Celebrity tried to say "you requested the change" but he never asked for a refund or OBC for the difference?  That just doesn't make sense.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

I would ask this first....aside from moving a deck down, what was the actual downgrade? 

The downgrade was from Prime Ocean View to Ocean View.  And the deal was better through the cruise travel agency he works for than the regular TA rate. 

2 hours ago, retird said:

Is your brother on cruise critic?   If so maybe he could chime in with more details

Good idea!  He's not on CC, but I'll mention it to him.  

49 minutes ago, FriscoMo said:
4 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

The downgrade was from Prime Ocean View to Ocean View.  And the deal was better through the cruise travel agency he works for than the regular TA rate.

Hopefully Celebrity will compensate him for the difference in fare cost. It probably wouldn't be much something is better than nothing.

4 hours ago, FriscoMo said:

So he is due a small credit.

Yes it is annoying, but compared to some of the recent problems Celebrity have caused with overbooking, it is thankfully a relatively minor issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friends of mine were on a South America sailing in January. They had booked a balcony but when they arrived at their cabin they realised they had been "moved" to an ocean view. Given they were so desirest for a balcony since it was a retirement cruise and wanting a good view of Antarctica, they were naturally very upset. The Captain said, "Don't worry, you're getting your money back." Initially they thought this meant the difference in price between Ocean View and Balcony. In reality, the entire cruise was reimbursed and they sailed for free. Not a cheap cruise either!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am sorry that happened to you. If the change is not reversed, the other two couples are bound to see the new cabin occupants going in and out of the cabin. I would be tempted to have short, casual  conversations with them, eventually asking how they booked that cabin. It won’t change the situation, but would be advantageous in the event of escalating the issue with Celebrity. 

And I would hope you resisted that temptation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

And I would hope you resisted that temptation.

I do not understand why?  If they are not being agressive and just casually asking what is the issue?  I think these questions need to be asked because it is obvious Celebrity is not being transparent with these issues and need to be called out on them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, micruiser2002 said:

I do not understand why?  If they are not being agressive and just casually asking what is the issue?  I think these questions need to be asked because it is obvious Celebrity is not being transparent with these issues and need to be called out on them.

If one needs to explain, then no explanation will do.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If one needs to explain, then no explanation will do.

So it is not ok to engage in a conversation with others on the ship?  As I said they didn't say to get agressive with the other passengers but it would be very easy to have a simple conversation on how over booked this cruise is and did they encounter any issues with their bookings.

• Like 1

They have done this with Restaurant Res too.. not such a big deal but annoying! 

Hope your issue gets resolved. Someone "scre..ed up or scre...ed you".

Our dining issue :  For  EDGE we had  pre booked, pre paid res for Fine Cut for the dining  time we preferred (early) which is before the loudness  starts down below at  the Martinii Bar area... 

We stopped in  the night before and learned we were pushed to ca muchb later dining time.. with no notice ever sent to us!.  Probably to accomodate someone special or a group??

We said "no thanks, please change us back" ...Snooty, arrogant maitre d refused..saying  that  the new  time is best for you.  He then refused to Cancel the Res.  I started to making a fuss as other diners were arriving so he reluctantly relented.  Nasty Man!

We filed a complaint and cancelled all our other specialty res.  Who needs the drama!

A few days later at the spa..I learned a family group has res together for 6 people in Eden... They went to confirm a day ahead & learned the group was split up..2 at one time and 4 of them at a later time.  Same nonsense when they cancelled!.  

For the  prices we pay, the customers deserve a bit more respect!   Rant over!

come back and let us know the outcome!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

So it is not ok to engage in a conversation with others on the ship?  As I said they didn't say to get agressive with the other passengers but it would be very easy to have a simple conversation on how over booked this cruise is and did they encounter any issues with their bookings.

Converse as you like, but the post to which I responded suggested surreptitiously eliciting beneficial information.  You can recharacterize that post as much as you like, but that is the post to which I responded. 

You, now, are ignoring that context and arguing a different point.  Go right ahead and do so until you are blue in the face, if that pleases you, but you will be doing so with someone else (or, perhaps, yourself).  

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Very fair query.  Who knows, perhaps the "new" party was surreptitiously moved to OPs cabin against their wishes.  If they don't want to engage in friendly "how was your booking experience?" conversation, that's their choice as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

So it is not ok to engage in a conversation with others on the ship?

There are four topics I'm VERY reluctant to talk about with others I don't know on any ship:

• Politics
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Money

Discussing the wheres and hows of other people's bookings seems to stray into at least one of the above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Personally, I see NO value in engaging about bookings with anyone other than the point of reservation, X, Guest Relations and/or The Hotel Manager.

I trust a resolution to everyone's satisfaction can be achieved, yet this one will not bring any closure and possibly open up additional can of worms and further hard feelings, unless one wants to ask (or demand) the new occupants to trade cabins with the original booker???

Again, IMO, something which needs to be addressed to those who can really assist in some sort of resolution/compensation regardless of what it will or may be.

bon voyage

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

There are four topics I'm VERY reluctant to talk about with others I don't know on any ship:

• Politics
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Money

Discussing the wheres and hows of other people's bookings seems to stray into at least one of the above.

Not reluctant here about those topics at all...  LOL

As for the list, I can see how it can be in all four (4) in one way or another... 

bon voyage

• Like 2