PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

Many of the complementary dining venues are actually set up for food service/collect your sea pass.   Such as, Vitality Cafe, Hot Dog house, Promenade Cafe. Park Cafe. Sorrento's, Fish and Ships and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.  

Royal has a habit of throwing things out there to see what will stick.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I have 2 teen boys.  Sorrentos is their “go to” for pre dinner or later night snack.  When they’re feeling like being nice kids, they even bring me and DH pieces back to the room.  Not abnormal for them to get 6 pieces each (none gets wasted).  Even at $1 a slice, I’d be pissed.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Pretty sure Princess just started charging for their pizza location onboard, so Royal is probably feeling out charging as well.  In my opinion Royal’s pizza is nowhere good enough to start charging for.  I’ll eat it if I’m hungry and there aren’t other good options available but I don’t crave it or anything that’s for sure.

Princess pizza is actually good.  That said Sorrento's for us has always been an occasional snack in the middle of the afternoon since we do late dining.  It's not a meal for us.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

Royal really needs to be careful the “death by a thousand cuts” doesn’t become a reality.  I’m not a big fan of their pizza.  I might eat a piece or two over the course of a seven day cruise.  However, the perception, when coupled with changes like move to once a day staterooms service, more limited offerings in the MDR and other things, will devalue the brand and cause folks who might be very loyal to look elsewhere.  When you have an upward trending business cycle a long line of newbies willing to pay exorbitant prices that works fine.  However, when the inevitable downturn comes, you need those long term loyalists to sustain you.  If you lose them, you wont get them back in difficult times.

• Like 26

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival eats their lunch for fast food already.

Well that's debatable, I thought the pizza on Carnival no better than RCCL at all.  And I wouldn't pay to eat either.  BUT...I wouldn't let that stop me from cruising on RCCL...I'll never cruise Carnival again...ever.  Not for any of these reasons but because I witnessed first hand the filth on their ships.

• Like 1

I just finished this latest survey myself. They are also asking questions about $399 and $499 per guest per 7 days for unlimited dining packages. 

My next cruise on Symphony is 8 nights and I have booked the package for myself and wife at $250 each. 

Cruise prices are increasing dramatically and now they are floating the idea of $800 more per week per couple for dining package? 

• Like 4

This is what happens when one of the longest serving CEO’s steps down and is replaced by a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), everything becomes all about money. I can’t help but think that when Richard was CEO of RCG, he actually cared about the guests and feedback was very important to him and was careful to balance guest experience with finances. Nowadays, Jason Liberty is just trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, while trying trying to keep his pennies in his pocket! Cruise prices are going one way and the experience is going the other! If they carry on with all of these cut backs, then they will just dilute the brand and start to build a bad reputation like MSC, where food and service quality becomes poor and every activity and dining venue is at an additional cost.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, tvnewsengineer said:

Whole Pie

I already get that free, ordered several last cruise and they were very good and I got to have all the toppings I wanted, not a Pinnie either.  That was Odyssey by the way.

I do however, agree with Jumping Cruiser.  But where do you go?  All of them are doing that.

Edited by BecciBoo

23 minutes ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

This is what happens when one of the longest serving CEO’s steps down and is replaced by a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), everything becomes all about money. I can’t help but think that when Richard was CEO of RCG, he actually cared about the guests and feedback was very important to him and was careful to balance guest experience with finances. Nowadays, Jason Liberty is just trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, while trying trying to keep his pennies in his pocket! Cruise prices are going one way and the experience is going the other! If they carry on with all of these cut backs, then they will just dilute the brand and start to build a bad reputation like MSC, where food and service quality becomes poor and every activity and dining venue is at an additional cost.

Same thing happened at Disney….they hired a new guy and he was all about money, and was so bad that he got fired and Bob Igor had to come back from retirement to fix the mess.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I do however, agree with Jumping Cruiser.  But where do you go?  All of them are doing that.

Good point, but others aren’t inflating prices to the extent of Royal, so it is somewhat understandable for them. I have seen some great deals with Celebrity for example, yet they haven’t slimmed down their offering, but also for Princess who have recently reduced complimentary options. Put it this way, If I paid less for the cruise fare I would be willing to spend more onboard (e.g. Specialty Dining/Activities), but at current rates it’s just a complete NO!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tvnewsengineer said:

It will be a new C&A Benefit:
Gold=1 Free Slice per day added to Sea Pass
Platinum=2
Emerald=3
Diamond=4 ( Can substitute drink voucher)
D+=5
D=340/525= 5 + slice with an officer
Pinnacle=Whole Pie

Ha ha - WHAT???????  Some   P's will be pissed if D+ gets a slice with an officer and they don't!  😀

Don't give RCCL any ideas. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Haha 1

Pretty soon there will be $$ for each menu item in the MDR.  Want an appetizer?, pay $10.  

Windjammer will be like the old cafeterias.  Go through the line and select what you want.   Each items/side has a cost.  Even a pat of butter has a cost. 

YIKES!  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Same thing happened at Disney….they hired a new guy and he was all about money, and was so bad that he got fired and Bob Igor had to come back from retirement to fix the mess.

Not sure that was the reason why he got fired.  The replacement is Iger.

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Each items/side has a cost.  Even a pat of butter has a cost.

I'll have to start smuggling in butter in my Cadence containers.  I like a little roll with my butter! 😂😆

• Like 1

I know it was just a survey, but they're already pissing people off with the changes they have already made, I'm surprised they keep trying to see how far they can push the envelope. Like, sit the next few rounds out and chill for a minute. Let people adapt. All it does is beg the question, "What's next?"... 

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Just now, GetToLivin said:

I know it was just a survey, but they're already pissing people off with the changes they have already made, I'm surprised they keep trying to see how far they can push the envelope. Like, sit the next few rounds out and chill for a minute. Let people adapt. All it does is beg the question, "What's next?"... 

After working in a corporate environment for a couple of decades, I’ve learned that those at the top have no idea of what’s going on in the ‘real world’ down below.  They make decrees and expect the rest of us to work out the kinks.  

Sorta like politicians on both sides of the aisle do. 🙄

I agree with the ‘chill for a minute’ suggestion. 🙂

• Like 5