PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Pretty sure Princess just started charging for their pizza location onboard, so Royal is probably feeling out charging as well.  In my opinion Royal’s pizza is nowhere good enough to start charging for.  I’ll eat it if I’m hungry and there aren’t other good options available but I don’t crave it or anything that’s for sure.

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That’s what I thought to myself when I heard of Princess charging for pizza.  Must be dang good pizza if they feel they can charge for it.  I just don’t see this happening on Royal for grab and eat items like pizza, especially considering it’s not top quality.  It’s fine but that’s about it.

It’s almost akin to charging for the buffet, not that I’m suggesting that but it just seems odd that they would even ask about charging for pizza on Royal

Princess has two different places for pizza.  One remains free to all.   The other is a moving target, depending on which "Princess package" you book.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

And that has been the problem from the beginning.

Royal added specialty restaurants and people continue to pay $$$, so Royal cuts back on quality of free food.

Royal expanded Coco Cay and people pay $$$$.

People continue to pay $$$$ for beverage packages.  

People continue to pay $$$$$ for suites.

People continue to pay extra gratuities when service is cut. 

People will always pay for suites who have it. 

We have been cutting back on on board expenses and booking lesser cabins as prices rise.  We pay our gratuities because we don’t want to hurt the workers.  But all the rest we can do without as it becomes unreasonable. Including pizza if it comes to that.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

And that has been the problem from the beginning.

Royal added specialty restaurants and people continue to pay $$$, so Royal cuts back on quality of free food.

Royal expanded Coco Cay and people pay $$$$.

People continue to pay $$$$ for beverage packages.  

People continue to pay $$$$$ for suites.

People continue to pay extra gratuities when service is cut. 

I have also noted recently that when checking out prices for some cruises the price was $900+ if you let RCI pick your cabin. Want to pick your own cabin, $1300+. Totally ridiculous but if people keep paying they'd be stupid to reverse course.

Yeah, add me to the never paying group.  Of course, that's b/c with my allergies, I can't eat pizza.  But even if I could, I'm not paying for crappy food court pizza on a cruise ship.  Next, they'll want me to pay for the crappy hot dog, too.

My kids will adapt and find other food - or wait for the next day's breakfast and go to town.  Royal's choice, although some of those breakfast proteins can get pricey, especially compared to pizza slices.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Princess has two different places for pizza.  One remains free to all.   The other is a moving target, depending on which "Princess package" you book.

Thank you for the clarification.  Haven’t sailed Princess yet.  I remember Tony mentioning it on his La Vida Loca YouTube channel.  Didn’t realize they had two separate locations 👍🏼

4 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

Good point, but others aren’t inflating prices to the extent of Royal, so it is somewhat understandable for them. I have seen some great deals with Celebrity for example, yet they haven’t slimmed down their offering, but also for Princess who have recently reduced complimentary options. Put it this way, If I paid less for the cruise fare I would be willing to spend more onboard (e.g. Specialty Dining/Activities), but at current rates it’s just a complete NO!

We've done 14 Royal cruises in a row and have just booked our first celebrity because it was miles cheaper for the itinerary we wanted than Royal - and the celebrity cruise is on Apex while the Royal was on Jewel which is one of their older ships ( which we actually really like ).

We eat a few slices of the pizza over the course of a cruise and find it OK but nothing more than that.

I am not stingy by any means , but I would not pay for it , and I agree with the poster who said that sadly,  RCL are risking devaluing a great brand. 

• Like 6

Like Sorrento’s Pizza and I wish that they would start charging for it! That way I would not be tempted to eat pizza every day on top of all the other food that I am eating. We frequently go there after  the show or late night activities for a snack. Believe me, I don’t need it.

Also, I see a lot of empty pizza boxes in the hallways in the early morning waiting to be picked up. Probably from room service the night before. If so, those people are paying the service fee and ostensibly are paying for the pizza already. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loman said:

Tried it again ,  it doesnt like me . 🙂

Pop up blocked?

The survey opened for me🤷‍♀️
I answered the survey honestly; I did not eat at Sorrentos on my last cruise.  I was not asked the question about paying for pizza.  Can they deduce that if I won’t touch it for free, I certainly won’t pay for their pathetic pizza, LOL.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Haha 1

I, for one, would NOT like to see them charge for Sorrento's pizza.  On my RCL cruise last year, that's where I went to wait for the other two people in my party who were lagging behind.  I enjoyed a few slices there instead of heading up to the buffet where it was probably going to be crowded.  The pizza is "ok", but it's free and the buffet doesn't serve pizza.  I'm going to be on a Princess cruise this Nov out of Galveston and was a bit irked that the complimentary eating venue that serves pizza (Alfredo's) was now going to be charging.  I'd read that Alfredo's was the place to go upon embarkation, but I guess it won't be now.  Sure, there's another pizza place (free) up by the pool, but...come on.

4 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

It worked for me (opened in another tab) - they got my thoughts and may regret it 🙂

This is what it says:

This survey can only be taken by invitation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Don't know what ship Tony or Merion Mom sailed but on the Crown Princess, there was only 1 pizza place and it was free of charge at that location. To get a whole pie delivered was $5.

Yeah, the Crown does not have it, but many of the Princess ships have a pizza place called Alfredo's (or Gigi's on some ships).  It's a sit-down and be served restaurant and has very good pizza.  It was previously complimentary but will now be a for charge venue.  It's actually amazing that it was ever free of charge.

The counter service pizza place on Princess that is equivalent to Sorrento's is on all ships and is free of charge.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trixie21 said:

We've done 14 Royal cruises in a row and have just booked our first celebrity because it was miles cheaper for the itinerary we wanted than Royal - and the celebrity cruise is on Apex while the Royal was on Jewel which is one of their older ships ( which we actually really like ).

We eat a few slices of the pizza over the course of a cruise and find it OK but nothing more than that.

I am not stingy by any means , but I would not pay for it , and I agree with the poster who said that sadly,  RCL are risking devaluing a great brand. 

You should like Apex we have done two Edge classes better entertainment than Jewel and better buffet.

8 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Royal seems to be trying really hard to ruin their business. 
Between watered down meals, reduced cabin service, cutting most specialty dining food servings in half and all their other cutbacks, I’m about done with Royal. 
I’ve got one more cruise booked (Panama Canal in Oct) and I think it will be my last. (I know - nobody cares - just sayin). 

We're Diamond and, after our June 30th Oasis cruise, sailed our (also know nobody cares) last RCI cruise. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Somehow it worked for me and said submitted so no idea!

When I clicked the link earlier today, it took me to the survey to complete.  But, since it was going to take 10 minutes + to complete, I needed to get back to work.  Figured I would just come back to it later.  Now it gives the message by invitation only.  Assume they have it locked down now.  Did Royal IT actually get something fixed quickly??

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DamonG said:

I just finished this latest survey myself. They are also asking questions about $399 and $499 per guest per 7 days for unlimited dining packages. 

My next cruise on Symphony is 8 nights and I have booked the package for myself and wife at $250 each. 

Cruise prices are increasing dramatically and now they are floating the idea of $800 more per week per couple for dining package? 

Specialty or MDR 

5 minutes ago, jk04 said:

When I clicked the link earlier today, it took me to the survey to complete.  But, since it was going to take 10 minutes + to complete, I needed to get back to work.  Figured I would just come back to it later.  Now it gives the message by invitation only.  Assume they have it locked down now.  Did Royal IT actually get something fixed quickly??

I'm guessing they realized people invited were sharing the link.  I wonder who got invited and why.  We're D+ with 567 points so you think they'd want input from experienced cruisers.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Not as of April. Was on the 28 night Tahiti cruise Mar/Apr and pizza was free. If you wanted it delivered, THEN there was a $5 service charge for the delivery.

Not if you booked Princess Plus or Princess Premium.  🙂 

DW and I did miss the twice a day room steward service on our most recent cruise, and the double whammy of course was the daily room gratuity charge increased.  50% reduction in service coupled with a 10% fee increase......hum.

Please don’t do another double whammy on us with charges on previously free items while at the same time lessening the quality of the MDR.

Our last cruise was the first ever in which I rated the MDR entrees low, low, low.  The only night I stopped for a slice of pizza was when the MDR was poor.  I would have paid for the pizza that night.

I just dont understand a beautiful dining room, white table cloths, table set for elegance, staff trained in fine dining service, and then blow it with a low quality entree.  Guess what part of those evenings we remembered?

If MDR quality is....fine dining...then I wont mind paying for pizza cause I generally won’t need it.  

Dont nut get me wrong, we still are loyal, I hope we had an outlier week on the entrees.  Everything else was what we expected.

Eddie

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Don't know what ship Tony or Merion Mom sailed but on the Crown Princess, there was only 1 pizza place and it was free of charge at that location. To get a whole pie delivered was $5.

Yes, on ships with only the pool deck location, that pizza is free.

I was responding to the person who said that Princess is now charging for pizza.  On the newest ships, Gigi's Pizzeria was complimentary; will now charge unless you have the Premium package. (complimentary twice per voyage if you have the Plus package)

(ETA:  I now see that a couple of other people posted this, too)

• Like 1