An interesting look at a Virgin Voyages cabin

JennysUncle

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

Not too impressed by this cabin at all

Me neither - it looks like everything came from KMart.  A few features sounded  nice, but not enough to make up for the negatives.  

Sue/WDW1972

6 hours ago, jaxcruisinguy said:

Uh.. where does that article compare it to a HAL cabin? You do know the whole purpose of Virgin Voyages is to be “different” than traditional cruising and to attract a different customer base?

100%

VV is very much a different and more practical take on a cruise. The rooms do not need to be overfilled with tacky junk, or more storage for the sake of it. Most sailors are onboard for 7 nights, having extra draws would take up floor space and fill the room, rather than giving people more space to explore themselves. The article did not mention that below the bed are two large drawers which are hidden under the side section of the bed (or can be used to store bedding). 

The pricing in the article I imagine is peek season, zero offers, in a central sea terrace, on the most desired route. The average we have paid per cabin per night over the 6 voyages so far is $419 (£329) a night for two people. 

• Like 3

We've done a 14 and a 15 night cruise with 2 in the cabin and had plenty of storage space.  Many people are not aware of the large drawer that is under the bed in the L configuration or next to it in the double bed configuration.  I agree that the cabins are basic compared to some other lines, but there was nothing that I needed and didn't have.  Decor is a matter of preference--these are simple and easy to maintain.  in addition, the outlets are plentiful, which I would expect on a new ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

it's a European style of functionalist/minimalist, and works for their target of sailors. 

I think their "target" audience during construction was different than the sailors they have on board.  Initially, their ads, etc. all seemed geared toward a younger clientele.  The average age of sailors in 2022 was 43, and I saw a statement from  a TA that the first half of 2023 was 48.  They've been making changes, almost since day 1, and at least some of these likely reflect the older audience.

I was aboard Scarlet with the initial cabin iteration where there was absolutely 0 “decor”, “textures” and storage.

version 2.0 is great. Nice light wood tones and a few pictures over the vanity bringing in dock house vibes. The drawers in the wardrobe while shallow keep things organized. It’s all good stuff and shows they take feedback seriously. 

• Like 2

I’m a big fan of Virgin in general, but I am not a fan of the cabin designs at all.  Celebrity wins big time on that for me

The decor is more upscale and luxurious, the space is much better designed not only for storage but just for everyday use as well.  The virgin cabins feel too empty and like there is wasted space.  

• Like 1

This type of room design is definitely attractive to millennials who would not otherwise be interested in cruising, a demographic many cruise lines would love to attract. I am currently planning my first ever cruise with Virgin. The style of other lines feels dated. The only other line I would consider at this point is Celebrity.

Among my peers, cruising is far from an appealing idea for many and the pandemic made that sentiment even stronger as far as I can tell.

So whether or not aiming for my demographic will translate into enough new cruise customers is debateable - it would be an uphill battle to convince most of my friends to go on a cruise. Hence I’m planning my first voyage solo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, JennysUncle said:

I presume this is supposed to be enticing, but what an interesting comparison to a HAL veranda cabin.  The $5910 is phony - at online TAs, Virgin 7-days seem to be more like $2300, but even so...  That room is *bare*.  https://www.insider.com/virgin-voyages-sea-terrace-room-balcony-photo-cruise-cabin-tour-2023-8

Our Thanksgiving cruise on Valiant Lady was in the $5500+ range for a Sea Terrace for the final month before it sold out so that rate is not necessarily 'phony.'  It could also be the "brochure rate" that all cruise lines have. The rate they never charge but they use it so show the '50 - 75% Off' so you think you're getting an amazing deal. 🙂 

The Sea Terrace is fine, it's functional, but it's not luxurious by any means. And those beds.... I'm not quite sure why they went with the IKEA convertible sofa as they are not that comfortable. Our interior on Sky Princess was much more comfortable than the Sea Terrace beds on Scarlet. But what the Sea Terrace DOES have is that hammock. That makes up for the shortcomings inside the cabin.

Now the Suites are lovely, we stayed in a Cheeky Corner on our first Scarlet sailing and I think that's one of the best cabins on any ship. We've sailed 9 cruise lines so far and that balcony and cabin combination are amazeballs. I just wish they had an outdoor sofa and a larger table on the balcony, but dang, that is a sweet sweet cabin. 

And of course the nearly all-inclusive nature of VV vs. the 'pay for this package,' mentality of every other cruise line wins hands-down. It's just so dang refreshing to walk onto a VV ship with nobody pushing a drink package, a meal package, a WiFi package and knowing that I do not have to spend a dime on the ship unless I want to. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I think their "target" audience during construction was different than the sailors they have on board.  Initially, their ads, etc. all seemed geared toward a younger clientele.  The average age of sailors in 2022 was 43, and I saw a statement from  a TA that the first half of 2023 was 48.  They've been making changes, almost since day 1, and at least some of these likely reflect the older audience.

interesting, good point. 👍

I find the cabins pretty good, after the late 2021 refresh, looking back at photos of the original 2020/21 rooms they were too bare but the small detail of wood behind the TV made a huge difference. Much prefer it than the old fashioned wood panelling many other lines stick with.

Ive never had an issue with storage, it’s better than almost every hotel room I’ve been in, but I’ve not done any other cruise line to compare. After asking for a few extra hangers (plenty of rail, not enough hangers!) we could unpack easily.

Maybe they could abandon the idea of the bed converting to the sofa and instead stick to a regular bed and add an extra armchair, with a proper bedside table instead of the space which the sofa swings onto. But it’s not a huge issue.