Wizard of Oz coming to Icon

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m not sure this was mentioned before, so I’m attaching a link to the article that the Wizard of Oz will be the show on Icon. Hope the link works.

http://digitaledition.orlandosentinel.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=3ef34218-b59b-4150-ae2f-6252122fe148

Not the movie or West End musical versions though. It’ll be a Royal in-house production.

Saw this a few months ago or so. I'd book just for this show. Cant wait to see it. Not that hair spray and cats and mama mia arent good but I especially want to see wizard of oz. 

Booked utopia and wonder but not icon .. after I move I'll look at dates.

30 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Not the movie or West End musical versions though. It’ll be a Royal in-house production.

I love the theme and so I’ll probably like their version. Same as Mamma Mia. I know some don’t like it, but I love the music and the show.

I also love The Book, I love the music, dancing, acrobatics, drumming and even the singing. I don’t care what the plot is…..

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Saw this a few months ago or so. I'd book just for this show. Cant wait to see it. Not that hair spray and cats and mama mia arent good but I especially want to see wizard of oz. 

Booked utopia and wonder but not icon .. after I move I'll look at dates.

Agree with your list except for Cats. I tried to watch a few times and never even made it to the intermission break.  Had forgotten about Hairspray. What ship is that on again?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Agree with your list except for Cats. I tried to watch a few times and never even made it to the intermission break.  Had forgotten about Hairspray. What ship is that on again?

I saw hair spray twice on oasis back when oasis was new. .. to me that counts. Flew to florida twice from dallas and loved it. ... but I love musicals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Symphony

As @firefly333 said, it was on Oasis until 2014 then moved to Symphony.
We saw it on Oasis when we were on it during the inaugural season. Sorry it left.

EDIT TO ADD: we’ll probably have to book Icon now to see the Wizard

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I saw hair spray twice on oasis back when oasis was new. .. to me that counts. Flew to florida twice from dallas and loved it. ... but I love musicals. 

Saw it on Symphony in December, it was really good. Cast was great with lots of energy, and great production values too. 

• Like 1

Apparently they are taking something from Flight on Symphony where the plane flies out over the audience and extending that concept to their Oz production. 

Dorothy is going to fly over the audience followed closely by the wicked witch chasing her, also flying out over the audience.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Apparently they are taking something from Flight on Symphony where the plane flies out over the audience and extending that concept to their Oz production. 

Dorothy is going to fly over the audience followed closely by the wicked witch chasing her, also flying out over the audience.  

Hopefully TOTO doesnt have an accident on the crowd below

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, acuprulez said:

I believe it's the ALW version (no suprise) but obviously different staging than some recent productions.

I don’t think it is. To quote the article linked upthread:

‘Weir said the version coming to the ship won’t be a rehash of the 1939 MGM film production or the Broadway version adapted by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeremy Sams, but something unique to the ship.

“I think everyone knows that I’m a future-forward type of creator. I like to look to the horizon,” Weir said. “We’re going to do something to ‘The Wizard of Oz’ that’s never been done.”’

Royal is moving away from licensing existing shows. That costs a lot of money and means sacrificing creative control. I’m confident this will be an entirely new, in-house production.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I don’t think it is. To quote the article linked upthread:

‘Weir said the version coming to the ship won’t be a rehash of the 1939 MGM film production or the Broadway version adapted by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jeremy Sams, but something unique to the ship.

“I think everyone knows that I’m a future-forward type of creator. I like to look to the horizon,” Weir said. “We’re going to do something to ‘The Wizard of Oz’ that’s never been done.”’

Royal is moving away from licensing existing shows. That costs a lot of money and means sacrificing creative control. I’m confident this will be an entirely new, in-house production.

Interesting, I assumed their existing relationship re: cats and a lot of features in their production shows this would be a no-brainer.

I really wish they would stick with good existing shows, I haven't been a huge fan of what RCL or X comes up with on their own.

7 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

I really wish they would stick with good existing shows, I haven't been a huge fan of what RCL or X comes up with on their own.

Indeed. But I bet the bean counters have.

Presumably Royal has signed multi-year deals to licence Cats, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, We Will Rock You, Grease & Saturday Night Fever. If and when those deals end, I’d lay money on them not being renewed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Indeed. But I bet the bean counters have.

Presumably Royal has signed multi-year deals to licence Cats, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, We Will Rock You, Grease & Saturday Night Fever. If and when those deals end, I’d lay money on them not being renewed.

I remember a time, not long ago, the parade in the Promenade was Hannah-Barbara (I think it was) themed, and it's gone now.  Now its mostly their own made up creators with a little Pac-man mixed in.  At least that's how I remember it.

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I remember a time, not long ago, the parade in the Promenade was Hannah-Barbara (I think it was) themed, and it's gone now.  Now its mostly their own made up creators with a little Pac-man mixed in.  At least that's how I remember it.

Dreamworks not Hannah-Barbara

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acuprulez said:

Interesting, I assumed their existing relationship re: cats and a lot of features in their production shows this would be a no-brainer.

I think that RC has had it up to here with ALW. 😉

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Have you seen Effectors on Wonder?  I liked it for the drones we saw on the original on Odyssey, but it’s even better on Wonder.  I dont follow the point of the show, but the special effects are good

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Have you seen Effectors on Wonder?  I liked it for the drones we saw on the original on Odyssey, but it’s even better on Wonder.  I dont follow the point of the show, but the special effects are good

Special effects of Effectors on Wonder were terrific.  We saw it twice just to enjoy the effects.  We watched it from a different area of the theater the second time. 

M

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I love the theme and so I’ll probably like their version. Same as Mamma Mia. I know some don’t like it, but I love the music and the show.

I also love The Book, I love the music, dancing, acrobatics, drumming and even the singing. I don’t care what the plot is…..

I am so with you on this. I had a daughter in musical theater, and I love the dancing, singing, and could care less about the plot. Give me a good beat that I can bop my head to…🤣

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1