Celebrity Silhouette Main Dining Room Experience an Embarrassment

Rustyman

25 minutes ago, ladylemondrop said:

I feel sorry for whoever is in charge of peeling or mashing potatoes on the ship. They need all the tips. 

Are they potatoes in the mash or is it dehydrated magic  (potatoes) mix that comes from a box?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

You need to read it as well

My source. Your post #91. 

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

After several cruises, haven't cruised since Covid and was pretty sure I wasn't going to. My wife subtly convinced me to try it again and I relented despite reservations having heard how things have been in decline. This thread has me really concerned as what I'm reading about MDR dining would be completely unacceptable. We would not be fans of the buffet in the evening. I have a deposit paid on an Apex cruise to the Fjords next July and will watch developments with interest. I would rather lose the deposit than spend thousands on a cruise with sub standard food so a decision will have to be made before payment depending on feedback.

14 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

As it happens we sail on 2nd September, Equinox. Will know then for sure and Big Al might allow me an opinion.

Looking forward to all our meals in the MDR for our 8 October Eclipse cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

the laundry staff do not get grats. Ask at guest services and they will provide the list and breakdown. Only those who deal with cruisers face to face do

Sorry that is incorrect. X describes those included in the auto grats system as : dining, bar and culinary staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. Hotel services includes laundry and cleaning. Guest relations will provide a detailed breakdown of the biggest recipients (state room attendant, main waiter and assistant waiter) the balance is spread across the rest. Somelliers are not included in the auto grats.

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Sorry that is incorrect. X describes those included in the auto grats system as : dining, bar and culinary staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. Hotel services includes laundry and cleaning. Guest relations will provide a detailed breakdown of the biggest recipients (state room attendant, main waiter and assistant waiter) the balance is spread across the rest. Somelliers are not included in the auto grats.

the beak down I was given added up to my auto grats. Life would be simple if we could withdrawal dining room grats where we choose not to eat. When in Aqua we do choose Blu though

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Translation = filed in the circular file.

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Translation = filed in the circular file.

Exactly, not too impressed with the contact in that that there was no word of any actions being taken nor if they are actually taking it seriously. I’m sure if someone at Celebrity has read this thread they will sit up and take notice.

To be honest if Celebrity had got back to me earlier about my concerns, ie following my 5 interventions onboard, then I probably wouldn’t have posted here. It grates with me that I spend and have spent tens of thousands of pounds over the years with Celebrity yet they aren’t really interested when I complain to them.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I used to go back to the ship for dinner vs. dining at a restaurant while in port.

Now it will be dining at a restaurant in every port.  Perhaps they have done me a favor in an odd sort of way.

Cruises we’ve done, granted a small number only 4, rarely leave port after 5 so we could dine in ports as we watch the ship leave us. Not a good plan.

8 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

the beak down I was given added up to my auto grats. Life would be simple if we could withdrawal dining room grats where we choose not to eat. When in Aqua we do choose Blu though

I would be interested to see the breakdown especially as Aqua prices include AI (tips, WiFi and drinks all rolled into one). I last saw this issue raised at a Q and A on Silhouette in May 2022 when the Hotel Director emphasised that a lot of staff who had non passenger facing rolls were included in the programme.

1 hour ago, ladylemondrop said:

I feel sorry for whoever is in charge of peeling or mashing potatoes on the ship. They need all the tips. 

Your kidding right?  Peeling instant mashed potatoes would be a real challenge.

• Haha 1

For what it's worth because I notice CCers getting " over-heated " :

1---To those who are complaining about the current state of food:

Two couples we know were recently on Celebrity-- One on the Beyond, the other on the Reflection-

BOTH said the food and service was excellent throughout the cruise.

2--- To those who give a $#%^ about Gratuities split--- For one, I could care less who gets what--- We have the gratuities added to our account and provide an additional tip to our cabin Steward, Specialty Restaurant Servers and the Servers in the Tuscan Grill where we have our 2nd breakfast since we "graduated" to Elite. ( Non-drinkers-- no Bar Servers ).

3--- To those who are waiting for an answer from the CEO, Chairman of the Board , or the Captain because they didn't like the mashed potatoes , the vegetables or their Server forgot about their 3rd shrimp cocktail ----- What answer do you expect other than :

Thank you for your recent email and I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Your comments regarding  etc, etc etc are taken very seriously and will be forwarded to the appropriate Department Heads.

As you know, we, at Celebrity do everything possible to satisfy our guests and sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer you a Complimentary cruise in the Retreat as you requested.

Your truly,

XYZ

Customer Representative 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Did I miss if the apps were good?  The soup and/or the salad?  I would be happy with a good app and just the protein of the main.  Many times the carb served has been not to my liking - mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, boiled potatoes...

Thanks.

the repetitive tasteless carrots and broccoli are dreadful!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Did I miss if the apps were good?  The soup and/or the salad?  I would be happy with a good app and just the protein of the main.  Many times the carb served has been not to my liking - mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, boiled potatoes...

Thanks.

There aren’t appetizers anymore, just soup and salad. I guess my strategy will be to ask for the pasta or veggie dish as an appetizer to make up for it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

For what it's worth because I notice CCers getting " over-heated " :

1---To those who are complaining about the current state of food:

Two couples we know were recently on Celebrity-- One on the Beyond, the other on the Reflection-BOTH said the food and service was excellent throughout the cruise.

When did they sail? It seems like this menu is only a couple of weeks old so if they sailed more than a month ago, their opinion could be irrelevant 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Many times the carb served has been not to my liking - mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, boiled potatoes...

Thanks.

There is also Irish stew (boiled potatoes) on this menu, so except for the mashed potatoes, the carbs are the mains.  Yum.

Screenshot_20230819_164132_Celebrity.jpg

Just so sad to hear.  We’ve cruise about 25 times with Celebrity and always enjoyed the food.  Raved about Celebrity and especially the foods to others.  I’ve looked at the menus for our upcoming cruise on the Summit and very disappointed in the menu choices.  Where are all the interesting appertizers?  I can’t eat salads ( iDietary restrictions).  Increased prices and lower quality food.  May be exploring other options in the future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

There aren’t appetizers anymore, just soup and salad. I guess my strategy will be to ask for the pasta or veggie dish as an appetizer to make up for it. 

salads can sometimes be great entrees..that and some soup enough some nights!