Flying to London on Friday, 8/25 Sailing Dawn on Sunday 8/27

Lois R

Hi Terry, we went  to a place called Mount Edgecumb and it is a historical building. The curator was fantastic🙂 vey funny, engaging and knowledable. He has been doing this type of work for 15 years and you just knew he loved his job. We then took a ferry ride back to the area where the bus was waiting and had about a 10 minute ride back to where we picked up the tender.

Overall this was a 4 hour tour. We left at 1:00 and I was back on the ship about 5:15.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:17 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, we went  to a place called Mount Edgecumb and it is a historical building. The curator was fantastic🙂 vey funny, engaging and knowledable. He has been doing this type of work for 15 years and you just knew he loved his job. We then took a ferry ride back to the area where the bus was waiting and had about a 10 minute ride back to where we picked up the tender.  Overall this was a 4 hour tour. We left at 1:00 and I was back on the ship about 5:15.

Did look up about Mount Edgecumb and looks to be interesting and historic.  Glad that your curator/guide was very good, entertaining, etc.  

Keep it coming with ALL of the details from our various port stops, activities/food on the ship, etc.  Fun following along!!  And, you are escaping the weather challenging in northern Florida!!! 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Hi Lois 

thanks again, as always, for sharing your day to day cruise experience  with us all. I’ll be sailing her next May and can not wait. I was curious if Raphael (he’s one of the waiters and you will know him, he is super friendly, greets everyone with a big smile and remembers your name ) he works in La Terraza for breakfast and lunch and in SALT for dinner. Someone mentioned him on a recent thread. It would be so nice to see a familiar face again next year. 

continue to enjoy your cruise! Safe travels

Liz

Good morning from Galway, Ireland. Overcast and mid 50s. I have a tour later this morning (yes, I booked a morning tour). 

Yesterday we were in Bantry. I did not do a tour but walked into town and looked at the different shops and it really is a lovely little Harbour town. I ate lunch at O'Conner's and had some of the best Calamari I have ever eaten anywhere. Fresh, very large and simply delicious.  Not chewy at all. The breading was perfect too. So, so good🙂

I spent about 3 hours there and oh, it was really sunny too.

Things on board are going well. I have met some very nice folks and the food and service have been excellent. Last night I ate in Atlantide and had the veal chop. It was very good😀

Someone had asked about the lamb chops, I believe they are prepared the same way each evening but if you want something different, ask the Maitr'd.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@Lois R there is a high pressure system over the UK over the weekend and into next week so the weather forecast is looking good for you 😁

I think you may be going to be very lucky with the weather soon, Lois.   We do sometimes get a late bit of summer in September, so make the most of it.  Looking forward to more of your reports,

Lola

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I think you may be going to be very lucky with the weather soon, Lois.   We do sometimes get a late bit of summer in September, so make the most of it.  Looking forward to more of your reports,

Lola

It's back to school time, Lola - often happens 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning from Galway, Ireland. Overcast and mid 50s. I have a tour later this morning (yes, I booked a morning tour). Yesterday we were in Bantry. I did not do a tour but walked into town and looked at the different shops and it really is a lovely little Harbour town.

Appreciate the great update and follow-ups from Lois.  Glad your weather is doing fairly well.  As to Bantry, we also have wonderful memories from visiting that charming seaport town in 2000.  Plus, you will also find Galway nice and very enjoyable.  Right?

As I hinted earlier, loved to see some nice visuals to bring back memories from Ireland with its excellent character and style.  Are you taking any pictures as you explore Ireland?

From my 2000 photo file, here is one visual you might see.  It's a bar where they serve Guinness.  Surprised?  I partly took this picture because our son's name is Ryan.  Plus, the look with this sing is cute and summarizes the "Irish Look" well.  Keep up the great sharing.  Looking forward to more . . . and MORE!!

image.thumb.jpeg.a9f08482d1dc6d5fecb7cf1adcc745c6.jpeg

Hi friends, back on board. Terry, no photos.

The tender ride was almost 1/2 hour! Not sure why we could not anchor any closer but at least we had a beautiful day🙂 I should say we are having a beautful day.

My tour in Galway took us to an area called Calambra and then to Siddle. We stopped at a local resort for coffee/tea and scones. Tour guide was good but I must say, the amount of people was too much. 2 buses that were both nearly full and the resort stop ended up being like all of us in a banquet room. We had 40 on our bus. Just really alot!

I filled out my questionnaire and that was a criticism to them. But I gave them positive points for many other items too.

And on the way back we drove through a beachy resort area called Salt Hill. Looks so cute and compact and easily walkable. I  never do land trips anymore but could see myself staying here for few nights. It was lovely.

Oh, it was Canamara.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, back on board. Terry, no photos.

Tour guide was good but I must say, the amount of people was too much. 2 buses that were both nearly full and the resort stop ended up being like all of us in a banquet room. We had 40 on our bus. Just really alot!

I filled out my questionnaire and that was a criticism to them. But I gave them positive points for many other items too.

Wow. One of the things that always differentiated Silversea was the smaller groups on tours.  Would hate to see these large busloads becoming the norm. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, back on board. Terry, no photos.  The tender ride was almost 1/2 hour! Not sure why we could not anchor any closer but at least we had a beautiful day🙂 My tour in Galway took us to an area called Canamara and then to Siddle. We stopped at a local resort for coffee/tea and scones. Tour guide was good but I must say, the amount of people was too much. 2 buses that were both nearly full and the resort stop ended up being like all of us in a banquet room. We had 40 on our bus. Just really alot!

Agree, 40 on a Silversea bus is way, way too many!!  Be interested to learn if that "crowded for Silversea" trend continues.  Or, if it was, hopefully, a rare exception??  Inquiring minds want to know.  Having "free", included excursions sounds nice.  But, not so much if they are doing the "mass market" trick of cramming too many people on a bus that wastes lots of time unloading and loading back up.  

No photos??  Sorry to hear.  If you do not mind since you mentioned Canamara near Galway.  Did you mean Connemara??  Below is one of my visuals from that scenic area when we stay in that region in 2000.  

From the Irish western coastal area of Connemara near Galway, here was one of our scenic samples with the sheep, etc.  Lovely, charming region of Ireland.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.0c83d56c8efde39715934ac08d61bdd6.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi from Killeybegs, Ireland on a sunny day🙂

Terry, yes I misspelled that city. Thanks for correcting me. 

I had my 2nd morning tour today a day it was fantastic🙂

We had 23 on the bus and a wonderful tour guide. We we tto a village in Donegal with music( guitarist and a fiddle) and yes, scones with tea and coffee. But much more. Several buildings with the history of everything. A large booklet was supplied so you could read about each building. These went back to the 1800's and it was all very interesting. And the mountains and water made for beautiful scenery. I actually took some photos and have to get some help with how to attach them to this review.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Did you visit Donegal City? The main square is triangular and called The Diamond. Only in Ireland... 

Hi, that does not sound familiar. We went a place called Glencole Village ( I think).

Hello from Dolce Vita and I had one of the wonderful crew at Guest Relations help me up load those photos. I honestly did not know how easy it was and when on the tour that greenery just took my breath away. That is what I think of when I think of Ireland.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ok here are some photos, enjoy!  

Wonderful visuals, nice sunshine, excellent blue sky, etc.  Keep it coming!!!   In checking, good, interesting history for Glencolmcille going back 5,000 years to the Stone Age when the first farmers worked the lands in this northwestern part of Ireland.  

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hello from Dolce Vita and I had one of the wonderful crew at Guest Relations help me up load those photos. I honestly did not know how easy it was and when on the tour that greenery just took my breath away. That is what I think of when I think of Ireland.

Glad you got that ship staff help and were able to post.  Isn't it super fun being able to share these visuals, especially from a colorful area such as Ireland?

Good morning from an ugly sea. No sun and raining most of the morning. We have a sea day. I had a surprise upgrade on this sailing to a Silver and am having some folks over this afternoon. Serving canapés, spring rolls, cheese and crackers along with champagne. 

Tonight is the 2nd formal night and I have been invited to join some other folks. Should be fun🙂

Last night I ate with 3 friends from the roll call and we went to Salt. I had the lamb shank which was very good but too much food. It was served in a deep bowl and I could only eat maybe a 1/4 of it. 

Anyway, I have heard there are about 350 on board from the UK, 100 or so from Denmark and the rest of us are a mix. Most everyone has been quite friendly, albeit, I did come across someone who was quite rude. Oh well, it was their problem, not mine. I just have to wonder when asking the crew/staff for something why can't people be courteous about it?

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well done LOIS!  Thanks for the great photos of the Emerald Isle. Mini tip, put a space in between the photos, it really sets them apart. . After insert, hit space, then insert and space again. 😃

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

A question for Lois or anyone on board - why has Dawn been sailing up and down that bit of the  sea so many times  on the supposed way to Ullapool?  Enquiring minds need to know.  Or maybe  Cruisemapper  has gone mad.

Lola

Hi Lola, good morning. I don't have an answer for you but we are tendering today and at least the weather is much nicer and the sun is shining. It was such an ugly day yesterday.

Anyway, I have an afternoon tour and hoping it is good😀

• Thanks 1