Flying to London on Friday, 8/25 Sailing Dawn on Sunday 8/27

Lois R

Hello friends,🙂 thought I would start this a little early.  I fly to London on Friday, arriving Saturday morning. I am staying at the SS hotel, The London St James. It looks lovely on line and have heard good things about it. I will be taking the SS transfer to the hotel. Hoping my arrival and finding Immigration and baggage claim go smoothly (and finding the SS rep). My flight is on Delta JFK to LHR. I have read Delta has a new Business Class Lounge. Will be in there for a long while because my my flight from here to JFK has a long layover. But that is ok. Rather have too much time than be in a rush🙂

Anyway, this will be my 3rd time on The Dawn. If you have any questions, I will try and answer them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hello friends,🙂 thought I would start this a little early.  I fly to London on Friday, arriving Saturday morning. I am staying at the SS hotel, The London St James. It looks lovely on line and have heard good things about it. I will be taking the SS transfer to the hotel. Hoping my arrival and finding Immigration and baggage claim go smoothly (and finding the SS rep). My flight is on Delta JFK to LHR. I have read Delta has a new Business Class Lounge. Will be in there for a long while because my my flight from here to JFK has a long layover. But that is ok. Rather have too much time than be in a rush🙂

Anyway, this will be my 3rd time on The Dawn. If you have any questions, I will try and answer them.

Have a grand time, Lois. I want to thank you for steering towards Silversea few years ago. I had asked about solo travel and you suggested this line. My fourth Transatlantic is coming up in November and I have loved each minute I have have spent on either the Dawn or the Moon!!! One of these days we will meet in person! 

• Like 1

Happy to help and glad you have enjoyed your cruises🙂and thank you.

I should have put the correct name of the hotel. It is actually the Conrad London St James.

Greetings, Lois!  I hope you have a a fabulous time.  If you are looking into something to do in the walking vicinity of the Conrad St. James, the Churchill Museum and War Rooms is wonderful (but buy tickets in advance online).  Also, the Tate Britain is a lovely visit and it has a good cafe on site. 

Have a great trip Lois, and definitely check out the new DL SkyClub in JFK T4 for us. We have not been to that new one yet - we have been to the "old" SkyClub a bunch. But our favorite in T4 is the Centurion Lounge.

• Like 2

Hi JP, will let you know how it is🙂 and hi Dawn, not sure what I am doing after I get to the hotel. Just going to play it by ear.

• Thanks 1

Have a marvelous time!  Your hotel is right behind Westminster Abbey so that is always an option.  The best thing about LHR is that we (sort of) speak the language and can read all the signs...  🙂

Missy in Maryland (leaving in October on the Spirit)

Hi Missy, the last time I landed at Heathrow was last summer and it was to make a connection to Barcelona. It had to be one of the worst experiences ever for me. I hope this time goes more smoothly since this is my final destination.

59 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Missy, the last time I landed at Heathrow was last summer and it was to make a connection to Barcelona. It had to be one of the worst experiences ever for me. I hope this time goes more smoothly since this is my final destination.

We flew in on American t3 and it went smoothly a bit of a walk but immigration was quick and luggage not to bad.  We booked air and hotel in Southampton on own and met our driver and off we went traffic around Heathrow was a mess but past that all good.  

6 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Safe and happy travels, Lois!   I will be enjoying your comments.

Hi Cam😀good to see you again and thanks so much.

• Like 1

Good morning🙂 I am sure it will be fine.  I did find out after the fact about it being a "partial charter" but its all good. I love meeting people from different parts of the world so this should be on point😀

On 8/20/2023 at 10:09 PM, Lois R said:

Hi Lois,

Since you’re flying Delta business class, you are eligible to stop in the Virgin Atlantic Arrivals Lounge at LHR.  You can take a shower, change or have clothes pressed and have a cooked to order breakfast (they used to offer facials as well, but sadly that service has stopped). 

It’s a great opportunity to freshen up before heading into the city, particularly since your hotel room may not be available until afternoon. 

• Like 2

Lois, if this is a 'charter' by a British travel agent it is likely just to attract the usual people, i.e. couples, singles and maybe friends and families, not  the groups being comped by their companies, who are sometimes a pain to have on board.  It is likely of course that most of them will be Brits. or Danes. I feel sure you will find many of them pleasant to meet.

53 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Hi Lois,

Since you’re flying Delta business class, you are eligible to stop in the Virgin Atlantic Arrivals Lounge at LHR.  You can take a shower, change or have clothes pressed and have a cooked to order breakfast (they used to offer facials as well, but sadly that service has stopped). 

It’s a great opportunity to freshen up before heading into the city, particularly since your hotel room may not be available until afternoon. 

Good morning, thank you for the information🙂but I am going to the hotel through a Silversea transfer so no showering or changing or breakfast at the airport for me. I will be going through Immigration, getting my checked bag and then finding the SS rep. But I appreciate your post🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Lois, if this is a 'charter' by a British travel agent it is likely just to attract the usual people, i.e. couples, singles and maybe friends and families, not  the groups being comped by their companies, who are sometimes a pain to have on board.  It is likely of course that most of them will be Brits. or Danes. I feel sure you will find many of them pleasant to meet.

Hi Lola, thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I have heard there will folks from Denmark on board too.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, thank you for the information🙂but I am going to the hotel through a Silversea transfer so no showering or changing or breakfast at the airport for me. I will be going through Immigration, getting my checked bag and then finding the SS rep. But I appreciate your post🙂

Ah, too bad.  It’s also worth trying to build in a little time to visit Virgin Atlantic’s Clubhouse at LHR on your way home if you’re able to with the Silversea transfer times and flying Delta. Much better than the Delta SkyClub. 

Oops - never mind, just realized that you return from Copenhagen. 🙂

Look forward to reading about your cruise - have fun! 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Wishing you an easy journey and lovely cruise, Lois!  Keep in touch if you can,  to let us know how you are (hopefully) enjoying everything.

Lola

Hi Lola😀I didn't realize this thread was going into another world LOL........look, it is ok really. I will be fine. I am a big girl  and enjoy meeting people from all different places.

Once I am really "Live" I will give my assessment of how things are on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1