Flying to London on Friday, 8/25 Sailing Dawn on Sunday 8/27

Lois R

I’m on Dawn now and staying on for the next voyage which is the one Lois is about to embark. I understand there are only 18 in transit. As an American, sounds like I will be in the minority with so many UK and Danish passengers.

Norway was wonderful and weather unexpectedly glorious.

I understand there is a CD onboard named Bruno but I guess unless you play trivia, he is incognito 😁. Glad to be able to enjoy outdoor dinners - heaters, but not really needed. Are you listening, Seabourn?

My traveling companion is disembarking, so I will be solo for this voyage. Hope to meet some of you also by yourselves.

Fiona from Florida 

• Like 2

Hello from the new Delta Sky Lounge in terminal A.   WOW it is large and lovely

Big bar in the center with a really nice buffet. Hot and cold offerings. A mint chicken with lemon, a pasta dish and a veggie dish as well. All kinds of sandwiches, fruits and cheeses

Of course the coffee/tea station and separate soda station.

And kudos to whoever is in charge of keeping the bathroom clean. And whoever designed them. I think this ladies room is absolutely beautiful and nicer than many high end restaurants. 

Anyway, JP, check this place out the next time you and Chris are here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

They also have soup and breads and all sorts of desserts. 

And they have e young lady at the front that offers you a glass of bubbly when you arrive.

• Like 3

Hi, well I am here at the hotel. My flight was supposed to leave JFK at 10:00pm last night and we were all boarded before 10 and then at 10:30 the Capt came on and said there would be a delay.....and then another delay......there were 35 planes ahead of us. We didn't take off till midnight. The first part of the delay was due to a transportation issue with the cart that was supposed to be in the gate area when the plane backed away from said gate. They had to get another cart. Anyway, instead of arriving here at10am we got in at noon. At least the SS driver was still waiting for me. And yes I slept on the plane. 

• Like 2

Ah. Good old JFK.  Departing is always a special experience.  I don’t even know if they consider a 2 hour delay an actual delay.  First you get to spend an inordinate amount of time on the Van Wyke wondering if you’ll ever get to JFK.  And then you get there and you get to wonder if you’ll ever leave.  

Edited by Bronxchihuahua
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Bronxchihuahua said:

Ah. Good old JFK.  Departing is always a special experience.  I don’t even know if they consider a 2 hour delay an actual delay.  First you get to spend an inordinate amount of time on the Van Wyke wondering if you’ll ever get to JFK.  And then you get there and you get to wonder if you’ll ever leave.  

Always an adventure! Those last 5 miles are a nail-biter.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, well I am here at the hotel. My flight was supposed to leave JFK at 10:00pm last night and we were all boarded before 10 and then at 10:30 the Capt came on and said there would be a delay.....and then another delay......there were 35 planes ahead of us. We didn't take off till midnight. The first part of the delay was due to a transportation issue with the cart that was supposed to be in the gate area when the plane backed away from said gate. They had to get another cart. Anyway, instead of arriving here at10am we got in at noon. At least the SS driver was still waiting for me. And yes I slept on the plane. 

Lois, have a restful day in London and looking forward to your onboard reporting tomorrow!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

So sorry you had a rough start with your flight but glad you are here now.

We reached Southampton  at about 4 pm , only about an hour later than hoped but on a bank holiday no surprise.  

Really excited about tomorrow. Can’t wait to taste first cocktail,  Perhaps see you at the terminal, that would be good.

• Thanks 1

Well, it is near midnight here and am trying to go back to sleep but it's not working lol.

I did forget to post about arrival at the airport and at least it went better this time. It is still quite the walk but got through Passport Control( no people stamping your passport) It is doing it through the machine. And the signage was clear too and my checked bag was sitting on the carousel when I got to baggage claim too🙂

Got my welcome packet here at the hotel and  i was told there are about 25 of us and we are leaving for Southampton around 10:45am. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Always an adventure! Those last 5 miles are a nail-biter.

Especially when Avis rents you a car with an empty tank and only 20 miles range left. So they tell you that you can bring it back empty.

Ended up perfectly as when I drove it back into the Avis lot there was only 4 miles left.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Happy your arrival was smooth.  And yes, that new Delta lounge at JFK is quite nice. Though sitting in the plane for 2 hours waiting to take off wasn’t.

It's too bad we can't stay in JP's 'secret speakeasy' in the Centurion lounge until they are actually ready take off!  Although another two hours there would probably make walking to the gate a bit of a lurch...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's too bad we can't stay in JP's 'secret speakeasy' in the Centurion lounge until they are actually ready take off!  Although another two hours there would probably make walking to the gate a bit of a lurch...

Shhhh !   One of the better kept secrets at the Centurion Lounge ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Shhhh !   One of the better kept secrets at the Centurion Lounge ! 

I leave it to you and JP.  I prefer to say upstairs at a 2-top right opposite the cookies (and near the bar).  😀

• Like 1

Good morning from Plymouth, actually in The Arts Cafe. I had a morning tour booked but changed it to the afternoon. Have decided to do more PM tours and can sleep in more that way.

Had an invitation to Kaieski last night for dinner and it was really good. I didn't feel like eating too much and it was perfect.  A bowl of delicious Miso/vegetable soup and an order of black cod which was fantastic🙂

I don't know the breakdown of guests but yes, it is obvious the majority are from the UK.

And from what I have been told we are tendering in quite a few places. Hopefully that will go smoothly.

Anyway, I am always happy to be back on board and things are all good.

• Like 11

Sorry, Lois, that I was late to catch up with your Silver Dawn sailing, the flight challenges, etc.  I look forward to reading all about your travel details, any updates (and maybe even some visuals, hint, hint!) from this Silversea adventure and about this ship.  Hope all is good during this sailing.  

Am I correct that your ports/stops scheduled are including:  Plymouth/UK, Cobh-Cork/Ireland, Glengarriff/Ireland, Galway/Ireland, Killybegs/Ireland, Ullapool/Scotland, Scrabster/Scotland, Skagen/Denmark and finishing in always wonderful and charming Copenhagen.  Is that, Lois, the correct schedule/plan? 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry, yes you are correct about the ports.

Had dinner tonight with 2 staff members and 3 other guests in LaTerrazza and had a lovely time.

I will give an update on today's tour tomorrow as it is late and I am tired. 

Hi folks, yesterday we were in Plymouth, UK and it was a tender port. Tenders were quick and the town area looks small and quaint.

I went on a tour which was 1/2 excellent and 1/2 well, not excellent.

The bus ride our destination was not good. The guide was VERY monotone and not at all engaging and quite boring and a few of us (yes,  me included), fell asleep. And the ac on the bus was not working.

Once we arrived at our destination, things then improved immensley.

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, yesterday we were in Plymouth, UK and it was a tender port. Tenders were quick and the town area looks small and quaint.  I went on a tour which was 1/2 excellent and 1/2 well, not excellent.  The bus ride our destination was not good. The guide was VERY monotone and not at all engaging and quite boring and a few of us (yes,  me included), fell asleep. And the ac on the bus was not working.  Once we arrived at our destination, things then improved immensley.

Appreciate, Lois, this follow-up and these details.  Sorry the guide and bus were not good.   Glad things improved once you arrived there in Plymouth.  Keep up the great sharing!  Look forward to any and all details.  What was most of interest once you arrived in Plymouth?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio