Flying to London on Friday, 8/25 Sailing Dawn on Sunday 8/27

Lois R

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

It makes sense.....you have to get to that airport in order to take that flight and if you are using SS you need to see if they are using that flight.

I have asked for and gotten deviations to direct flights on many occasions from SS, but it usually is a negotiation.  On one cruise, they wanted to fly Mrs Banjo and I from Boston to Hong Kong via Dubai with a 10 hour layover.  I found a direct, nonstop flight with a nonstop back from Tokyo.  It took a few phone calls, but they managed to get our business class reservation moved to the nonstop flights.

more recently, I am just handling my own flights and transfers, that way I am assured to get what I think is best for me without the negotiation.

On 9/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, Lois R said:

Well, I thought I,was flying home tomorrow morning.........but of course they changed it again. GRRRRRRRR..........

They really messed up and put me on another flight to West Palm Beach so that had to be changed and now they said there is a flight at 8pm tomorrow night and have me on it. I just have to wonder if it will be there tomorrow......

I went through a similar situation on Delta a few months ago.  I was flying to Oklahoma City for Banjo Museum business, with a return flight the next day.  3 days later, I returned home on AA, after 4 flight cancellations.

sorry you had to go through this Lois. I hope you made it home ok. 

Edited by crusinbanjo

11 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

What was that film called where

Tom Hanks gets permanently stuck at the airport?

True story I think

The Terminal. Loosely based on a guy who lived in CDG. I think JP knows him.  😃

Lois, so pleased you have made it home. Not a fun end to a journey. 

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, yes, I am home.....flight home was delayed too.......(of course it was). I got home around 2am.

Glad, Lois, you are are home.  Finally!!!  Just curious.  Did the airline pay for your added hotel costs in NYC at JFK??  What a long, long saga in getting home!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

33 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Glad, Lois, you are are home.  Finally!!!  Just curious.  Did the airline pay for your added hotel costs in NYC at JFK??  What a long, long saga in getting home!!

Hi Terry, I have received nothing from Delta for my hotel (YET)......I am going to submit my complaint and hope they will reimburse me. I wonder if contacting the Sec of Transportation would do any good LOL

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I have received nothing from Delta for my hotel (YET)......I am going to submit my complaint and hope they will reimburse me. I wonder if contacting the Sec of Transportation would do any good LOL

Good luck with Delta, DOT Sec. Pete, etc.  My very rough recollection is that the airlines are more "responsible" if the cancelled flights are due to their equipment failures, crew shortages, etc.  If it is weather and/or air traffic controller shortages by FAA, etc., that is consider somewhat "out of their control".  Also, do a quick Google search as to what type of delays are covered or not by the airlines.  

Did you have travel insurance for this trip?  Any credit card coverage for your trip disruptions, etc.??  Keep us posted as to how you progress.  Good to know for future purposes if we run into this type of "bad luck".  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Good luck with Delta, DOT Sec. Pete, etc.  My very rough recollection is that the airlines are more "responsible" if the cancelled flights are due to their equipment failures, crew shortages, etc.  If it is weather and/or air traffic controller shortages by FAA, etc., that is consider somewhat "out of their control".  Also, do a quick Google search as to what type of delays are covered or not by the airlines.  

Did you have travel insurance for this trip?  Any credit card coverage for your trip disruptions, etc.??  Keep us posted as to how you progress.  Good to know for future purposes if we run into this type of "bad luck".  

You are correct Terry, if the delay / cancellation is weather, the airline is not responsible, but Lois, it is worth asking and I agree with Terry, your travel insurance should come into cover for the interruption.   Glad you are home ok.  I know airlines delays are a pain, but as a pilot, bad weather like we had recently makes for very dangerous flying conditions.   So safety first. After that, the airline schedules are a mess for a while. Sounds like a pain, but you came through it and all is well.

• Like 2

Hi, yes, I have insurance. I will contact them too. I still submitted all the information to Delta. They can say yes or no........just sent them all my information. Will see what answer I get back.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I flew American from London business class.  My first flight was cancelled.  My replacement flight was delayed so I missed my connecting flight home.  I don't know the reasons but AA paid for a hotel room.  I had to pay for Lyft roundtrip and I submitted that bill to AA.  They gave me mileage points not money.  So I applied to Allianz and I received a refund in 24 hours.  I also was able to use the Flagship lounge in Miami when I showed them my previous days boarding pass from London.  So every airline is different and a lot depends on who you speak with.  Just another example.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, caradara said:

A couple of weeks ago I flew American from London business class.  My first flight was cancelled.  My replacement flight was delayed so I missed my connecting flight home.  I don't know the reasons but AA paid for a hotel room.  I had to pay for Lyft roundtrip and I submitted that bill to AA.  They gave me mileage points not money.  So I applied to Allianz and I received a refund in 24 hours.  I also was able to use the Flagship lounge in Miami when I showed them my previous days boarding pass from London.  So every airline is different and a lot depends on who you speak with.  Just another example.

Having elite status with that airline or alliance usually makes a difference too. 

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We are flying to Lisbon in a few days for the second time this year – on United out of EWR.  A lovely non-stop on a 787-10.  Leaves EWR at 8:35pm and the return arrives there at 1:05pm – good for connecting flights.  Does Silversea not use United?

Hi Jazz, yes they do but everything depends on pricing........contracts with airlines, etc. I have been on that United flight to Lisbon before but that was a couple of years ago. It is all about the $$$

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, yes, I have insurance. I will contact them too. I still submitted all the information to Delta. They can say yes or no........just sent them all my information. Will see what answer I get back

Glad you’re back home! That’s a terrible saga, but I hope it ends up being a good story after the pain wears off!

And good to ask Delta first, your insurance might want to see your request denied from them first. 

5 hours ago, caradara said:

Unfortunately most of the hotels are dumps, every if it’s only one night.

12 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Unfortunately most of the hotels are dumps, every if it’s only one night.

That is why I spent the $$$$ to stay at The TWA. Conveience for the most part and it's not a dump. 

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Exactly, couldn’t agree more.  An airline would never put you up at that hotel.  stayed there myself a few times.

Hi, I went back and forth from the hotel into the terminal many, many times over Sunday and Monday.....I now know JFK better than I have wanted to anything ever😧omg.....all I know is the Air Train saved the day....

• Like 1

Hi folks, just a re-cap since I am now home with some final thoughts.

Overall, I had a wonderful time😃but were there some issues? Yes.

Too many people on the buses for tours.

And slow service in some of the dining venues for sure. I was told many of the best folks were sent to NOVA but it seems the wait staff on board had not been fully trained. 

Incorrect food served to me for breakfast.......I think I posted about this earlier. Not good.

As for the breakdown of the passengers (this was brought up much earlier in this thread). Yes, we Americans were in the minority but that was ok with me. I met some wonderful people and always enjoy learning about different places. people, and cultures. 

Even with the glitches, I had a great time on this sailing😃and now getting ready for NOVA in November😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just received a reply from Delta about re-imbursement for my hotel room stay. Was not expecting anything really positive and nothing positive was given.( I was asking for the hotel room $). Nope.

Thankfully I had purchased insurance and have now filed my claim for the hotel room. I have used this same company before and they paid me for my hospital bills last year when I got hurt on my cruise so hoping they will cover the hotel room charges.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great news for anyone who cares😀just received an email from the Insurance Company and my claim was approved and processed🙂they paid for the hotel room! Yeaaaa!!! I should be receiving a payment within the next week or so😀

• Like 8