Does anyone really use the minibar?

OceanCruise

I always wonder how many people actually use the minibar and pay the very inflated prices for items, especially when so many cruisers have a drink package. Is it really that profitable for the cruiseline, given the staff time needed to fill, replenish and bill for it? Do passengers truly want this convenience so they don't have to walk to a bar? Do the cruiselines "prey" on people (or kids) who consume the items by mistake, not realizing they have to pay for it?  I also always wonder how long the items have been there and end up being expired.

I'm trying to find a price list for the mini bar.  Haven't found one.  It's a convenience for when you just want a quick drink on your balcony.  I'd like to use it on my next cruise but I've read they only stock vodka and will not replace it with something else like scotch/whiskey.

3 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

I always wonder how many people actually use the minibar and pay the very inflated prices for items, especially when so many cruisers have a drink package. Is it really that profitable for the cruiseline, given the staff time needed to fill, replenish and bill for it? Do passengers truly want this convenience so they don't have to walk to a bar? Do the cruiselines "prey" on people (or kids) who consume the items by mistake, not realizing they have to pay for it?  I also always wonder how long the items have been there and end up being expired.

We just use it for storage.

Nothing in there worth paying for.

Last year we were on the summit in CC and when we put our suitcase under the bed we found a celebrity tote bag filled with the minibar. We couldn’t figure out why it was there so after view days got a chance to ask our attendant. He apologized and said on the last cruise the people in the room used all the minibar and refused to pay for it saying they thought it was free. Our attendant told us celebrity wanted him to pay for it. So he just put everything under the bed so it wouldn’t happen again. He said “You cruised you know it isn’t free. I can put it back.” We said no it’s fine we don’t  want it. 

When we've asked for ours to be emptied, the steward usually puts everything from the fridge into the bag under the bed. I always wondered if they put the same uncooled stuff back into the fridge after we leave for the next unsuspecting passenger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

When we've asked for ours to be emptied, the steward usually puts everything from the fridge into the bag under the bed. I always wondered if they put the same uncooled stuff back into the fridge after we leave for the next unsuspecting passenger.

They are cold drinks not out of date, does it matter? Or should they throw them away and bring new ones in?