Now $1.50 for gelato in Windjammer

Well, as customers, we have been spoiled (on purpose) to all the nice extras. Due to COVID, RCI now has a huge debt load to deal with. They don't want to go out of business. So now they are trying to get as much money as possible without offending most of their customers. It does irritate a lot of folks. That is the world that we cruisers will have to deal with for the foreseeable future. So go and endure or don't go....our choices.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Was the ice cream free when you were on Ovation or was there a charge?  The specialty coffees are definitely not free but there is other coffee that is at no cost.  We have sailed Quantum and Anthem, which are sister ships to Ovation, but have never seen that ice cream case on those ships.  I might have missed it on Quantum as we stayed away from WJ but we have sailed Anthem a lot and are regulars at that coffee bar.

It was $1.50 for the ice cream from that specialty case in the Windjammer. I am 99% sure that is where the OP's photo is from. Every other dessert in the Windjammer was free and there were soft serve cones available for free just a short walk outside on the pool deck as well.

For more ice cream options, Ben and Jerry's was available at a shop in the Promenade for I believe $3.50 (not sure exactly because I only briefly looked at the price list and didn't buy any) which doesn't seem excessive to me considering what Ben and Jerry's costs in any other store.

There was also ice cream available as an included dessert option every night in MDR.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the claim. Yet I've never been on a sailing where they had ice cream for free in the Windjammer.

And given the OP hasn't explained which ship, or when, it may alternatively be a new thing introduced for a fee. Which isn't quite the same.

Ice cream was available in the WJ every day on Wonder.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Maybe in the US but not in Italy and Europe....

Hello,

Not in this part of Europe are they the same!

From the family archives, here is a picture of my Grandfather selling his own made Gelato to the good citizens of Bristol early in the last century. I have cropped the image showing his name and address from his barrow so as not to embarrass any relatives reading this.GFedited.jpg.2ab78308495b708fc848bce76a9d50be.jpg

Now, perhaps, people reading my (many) posts complaining about the swill served as 'Prosecco' will know where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Someone joked about an ice cream package.   But, I would totally get that for the girls.   DD's friend that is going with us told her about the max number of ice cream cones she ate in one day on a cruise.  DD wants to beat the number.   I think this was with free pool-side self-serve  

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Not in this part of Europe are they the same!

From the family archives, here is a picture of my Grandfather selling his own made Gelato to the good citizens of Bristol early in the last century. I have cropped the image showing his name and address from his barrow so as not to embarrass any relatives reading this.GFedited.jpg.2ab78308495b708fc848bce76a9d50be.jpg

Now, perhaps, people reading my (many) posts complaining about the swill served as 'Prosecco' will know where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Cublet

@cublet My husband's great-grandfather came to the US from Bristol. His family apparently made pipes (as for smoking tobacco) there, not gelato. 😉 

Great photo. Love the hats.

40 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Someone joked about an ice cream package.   But, I would totally get that for the girls.   DD's friend that is going with us told her about the max number of ice cream cones she ate in one day on a cruise.  DD wants to beat the number.   I think this was with free pool-side self-serve  

Please share the target number, because I think I could beat it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Eh, doesn't impact me, but I can also see this likely reduces waste (those self serve soft serve were not pretty!), and parents likely appreciate the opportunity to decide to buy or not buy. 

Appreciate the opportunity ... That's priceless . That is a glass half full attitude for sure . 

I don't believe as a parent I would have appreciated telling my kids they couldn't have ice cream because it costs . I'd be much more content to tell my kids they are not having ice cream today because they ate too much junk already or whatever other reason I decide .

On another note , This whole  "doesn't impact me" talk is just silly IMO . Some of this stuff doesn't impact me either but a lot of it does . (IF)  this is true and it is just regular old windjammer ice cream , then what next ...In the MDR I'll be able to have apple pie for dessert but a la mode will be an upcharge?? . Or are desserts in general next on the list across the board for a charge ?

Cheers

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

This whole  "doesn't impact me" talk is just silly IMO . Some of this stuff doesn't impact me either but a lot of it does

I totally agree. Every additional charge or reduction in service is degrading the overall value of RC. The more people shrug their shoulders , the more it continues. We never sail out of the US but I don’t want to see the ‘perfect day’ prices balloon as it just indicates the bean counters have still got control of the company. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

I agree, not FOREVER, each of us has a cruise price point we are willing to pay for the product. If everything was all-inclusive that higher price point would turn many away. Why should I pay for someone else's ice cream and such would get brought up.  

For some, RCCL is already at the top of their price point and these recent upcharges and higher fees are causing folks to turn to other lines in the near future. 

With cruisers like yourself, they'll continue to go up, up, and away w/ prices. Firiggnin' ice cream? Hell yes, your cruise fare should pay for your ice cream. And my cruise fare pays for mine. i like chocolate. And Johnny & Sue's cruise fare in cabin 12916 pays for their ice cream.  It is what it is...stop this non-sense. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Well, as customers, we have been spoiled (on purpose) to all the nice extras. Due to COVID, RCI now has a huge debt load to deal with. They don't want to go out of business. So now they are trying to get as much money as possible without offending most of their customers. It does irritate a lot of folks. That is the world that we cruisers will have to deal with for the foreseeable future. So go and endure or don't go....our choices.

Speaking of Debt:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/RCL/royal-caribbean-cruises/debt-equity-ratio

image.thumb.png.8af4395b6c56e5541574dbbc96cfe79d.png

I bring this up only to show that RCCL is moving in the right direction, now.  However, if they are successful in bringing the debt-to-equity ratio down to a more sane level, like 1 or less, I'm betting 99% of the recent reductions in services and upcharges for traditionally included items will not go away.

DISCLOSURE:  I'm no market Guru.  Just a layman.  This was just a quick search and my premise is to predict, not debate the merits of the market.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Speaking of Debt:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/RCL/royal-caribbean-cruises/debt-equity-ratio

I bring this up only to show that RCCL is moving in the right direction, now.  However, if they are successful in bringing the debt-to-equity ratio down to a more sane level, like 1 or less, I'm betting 99% of the recent reductions in services and upcharges for traditionally included items will not go away.

DISCLOSURE:  I'm no market Guru.  Just a layman.  This was just a quick search and my premise is to predict, not debate the merits of the market.

I’d raise the odds up to 99.9%.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This thread is hilarious! It's a $1.50! :classic_biggrin: Are you seriously tripping over a $1.50? Plus there is free ice milk by the pools, free ice cream at dinner in the MDR and the Windjammer usually has free ice cream in the back near the desserts at dinner. Don't pay or eat the $1.50 ice cream. 

I don't consider $1.50 nickel and diming. I mean it's a $1.50. :classic_laugh:

Have you visited your local ice cream parlor? Or purchased ice cream at amusement park or arena or stadium? I'll gladly pay $1.50. I think we paid $5 or $6 for Ben&Jerry's. 

I think cruising is slowly evolving to a floating hotel. Room and board and Minimum food included. I'm ok with it. We've been on several land base vacations in the states since covid and cruising is still a GREAT value even if you add the dining package and the nickel and diming. We easily spend double on resorts than our cruise costs without even trying. 

Edited by cynt

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Speaking of Debt:

It looks to me like they are bringing the debt level down rather quickly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the claim. Yet I've never been on a sailing where they had ice cream for free in the Windjammer.

And given the OP hasn't explained which ship, or when, it may alternatively be a new thing introduced for a fee. Which isn't quite the same.

We sailed the Odyssey twice last year.  Looks just like the ice cream station that was immediately to your left when you enter the Windjammer on the Odyssey.  It had the exact same set up with ice cream and toppings set up.  There was never a charge for it last year in the Windjammer on the Odyssey.  It was NOT gelato, but just regular ice cream in the metal serving containers as pictured.  Not saying the posted photo was from the Odyssey, but it looks the same.  Have not seen an ice cream station like that on other RCCL ships we have sailed (about 7 or 8 other ships).

Interesting thread. OP starts it then chooses not to reply to questions about which ship he refers to. 

We have frequently seen free scooped ice cream in Windjammer on several of our cruises, many of which have been on Oasis class ships. Some Oasis and Freedom class ships also sell ice cream, but it was more than $1.50/scoop.  OP sure got the complainers going...

Barb

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

What's next pay toilets? Why should I have to pay for someone to urinate at the pool deck restroom? Pay or go to yout cabin! 😉

Some of y'all need to get a grip. 

I remember 50 yrs ago there was lot of pay Toilets like at Airports, Dad use to make me crawl under...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1