The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 31st, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Eat Outside Day, National Trail Mix Day , and We Love Memoirs Day

Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top. - Edward Abbey

Meal Suggestion for today - Summer Corn Salad
Drink of the Day - Peachtree Martini
Wine of the Day - 2017 Fratelli Antonio & Raimondo Langhe Nebbiolo
Destination of the Day - Manaus, Brazil Amazon

Today in History:
1897 Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope [kinetographic camera], a device which produces moving pictures

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 0800-2300

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Oosterdam

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece 0800-1600

Rotterdam

Akureyri, Iceland 1000-1900

Volendam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-01

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Saguenay, Quebec eta 09-01

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Quebec eta 09-01

0831World.thumb.png.bdf1c59e9d69f4eb9c31811d7811c276.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.  Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 29

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Catmando getting immunotherapy today

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas with a fall, broken ribs and head laceration

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) – UNC Chapel Hill professor killed

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Marshhawk’s family (Momma Norma and son) and friend issues

Ger_77’s DH with vertigo

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mr. Boston’s leaving for a big 5 week trip to Europe – Safe travels!

Crazy for Cats’ upgrade to a Neptune suite

StLouisCruisers (Sandi) and Dennis becoming HAL 5-star Mariners

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam Sept 3 to Sept 13)

3 days for Luvteaching (Westerdam Sept 3 to Sept 10)

4 days for RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy Sept 4 to Sept 20) B2B

Lobsternight (Celebrity Eclipse to Sept 3), celebrating 60th birthday, Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ) and HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Peachtree Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 splash Orange Juice
Garnish: Peach Slice

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a peach slice.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 6.35.03 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A very cool morning here, only 6°C (43°F).  Too cold for August.  C'mon Mother Nature, it's still summer, please warm up a bit.

A good collection of days but it's a little too cool for a picnic for us.  I like trail mix and I savour some memories.

An amusing quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.  The drink sounds good, hope the wine is too.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is currently 63°F and sunny.

We like to eat outdoors whenever we can.

The photos were last week in the English Lake District.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for good health to all my friends.

Take care and stay safe.

IMG-20230825-WA0004.jpg

IMG_20230827_142839.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Here we are at the end of August already.  The weather here this morning is 67F and it will be partly cloudy and 85 for a high later on.  I am going out this morning for my regular hair appointment and am grateful the hurricane is past us.  

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Thursday Daily and Fleet Report.  I see it's Eat Outside Day but I doubt that will be happening.  I don't mind a trail mix but only eat it as a snack when traveling or away from home.  I have read many memoirs but I wouldn't go so far as to say I love them.  Eww on the quote!  I'll be interested in seeing what a summer corn salad is.  The Peachtree Martini sounds like an Atlanta thing.  Everything in Atlanta is named Peachtree!  I have no idea what type of wine we have featured today.  And what an important day in history with Edison's moving picture machine!  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers for our Care list members and those affected by wildfire and hurricane.  I'm so sorry to hear of Sharon @Sharon in AZ's dear Aunt's passing.  Many prayers for her Uncle, DM and all the friends of family of Aunt Betty.  Good luck to Chuck @catmando during his treatment today.🙏  Congratulations to the celebrating folks today and those cruising and preparing to cruise!  🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the all important lists!

The port of the day is Manaus, Brazil in the Amazon region.  This was our port destination on March 27, 2021 and Nov. 11, 2022.  At that point in time we hadn't visited there but not for lack of trying.  It was booked 3 or 4 times over the years but life happens!  So on Dec. 3, 2022 we did visit and I have photos this time to share.  Here are the links for you to retrieve your own photos.  

Remain safe and well everyone!  Hoping you all have a wonderful day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the last Fleet Report and Daily of August.  I'm thankful that apparently most if not all of our dailyites are ok after Idalia; prayers for the many who lost so much.  I'll celebrate all 3 of the days, especially eat outside day. 

Been to Manaus twice, both times on the Elegant Explorer. 

Interesting quote by Abbey.  Not sure about the meal.  Edison really started something with his invention.

Chilly this morning at 68(20)C, and running late this morning.

Roy

• Like 36

In December 2022 we were on an Amazon cruise on Volendam.  The ship arrived on Dec. 2 during the daytime but we waited until the following morning to head over by tender to walk around.  Due to low water levels we couldn't dock the ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Once we arrived we were bused to a terminal/visitor center well outside the port area. We had a map which showed the location of some local sights and immediately headed towards the Amazon Theater also known as the Manuas Opera House.

We immediately saw the Metropolitan Cathedral of our Lady of the Conception.  Photo outside and inside

As we neared the Opera House we saw this yellow building which is the Amazon Palace of Justice.  It was all decorated for the upcoming holidays and had beautiful Christmas displays set up outside.

Finally we arrived at the pink Opera House!  We did not want to tour inside so weren't able to take pictures.

Near the Opera House we saw this impressive building which is is San Sebastian church.  We did go inside it and saw a beautiful double dome inside.

We headed back to the ship and sailed away that evening.  The view of the Manaus skyline.

And the Rio Negro Bridge, over the Rio Negro River near the confluence of the Amazon River.  It's the only major bridge over any part of the Amazon or Amazon tributaries.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting cooler weather today. The calm before the high temps next week. 

Working from home today. I have to take a laptop in to have the webcam fixed. It is a new laptop, so this is rather annoying. Luckily, I have a backup. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Pin by Rose Gonzalez on Cats doing crazy things | Thursday humor, Funny ...

• Like 34

Good Morning to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Interesting days, I think I will pass on the food and drink.  I will be going to Manaus next year so the pics were a nice preview.  Interesting quote.

I hope all who were in the line of fire of a hurricane came out unscathed/are safe.  It is weird to think tomorrow is already Sept.  Off to the gym and then a 1/2 day subbing.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a good Thursday to everyone!

• Like 32

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily reports to start us off each day.   We won't be eating outside today but will enjoy Broasted Chicken during our final trip to the big city for groceries.  I will pass on the corn salad, when we rarely eat it it is on the cob.  Pass on the Martini but I like Nebbiolo, hope today's isn't too pricey.  We were in Manaus in March this year.   

Thanks for keeping our Cares list for us Vanessa.   Lots of people in our group going through trials.   Prayers for them.  Prayers for the people in Florida who were damaged by Idalia, in addition to those damaged in GA and SC.   Prayers for the citizens of Maui and the people of Ukraine.   

John solved the mystery of the animal that looked like a housecat in the wee hours of this morning.  The bright lights came on and John was awake.  He said it was an extremely thin fox that walked all the sidewalks and even came up on the front porch.  Mystery solved.  I will try to find my Manaus photos.   

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  We like to eat outdoors when we can.  Might buy a bag of trail mix at the airport today.  While we’ll read them occasionally I wouldn’t go as far as saying that we love them.  I like the quote.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds like a nice side dish.  I’d try the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  

We fly to Rome on Icelandair this evening and will be there until September 5th.  Following that, we are meeting our friends in Biarritz France for a few days and the we all head to their other home in Marbella Spain for some time there.  My DH and I head to Barcelona for two nights there before we board the Oosterdam on September 14th.  Based on @kazu’s report we are staying at Casa Camper, I figured if they took such good care of our Daily friend during her visit they surely must be a class act!  I’m not a very good journaler but I will try to give updates here, hopefully with photos!

Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In December 2022 we were on an Amazon cruise on Volendam.  The ship arrived on Dec. 2 during the daytime but we waited until the following morning to head over by tender to walk around.  Due to low water levels we couldn't dock the ship.

Once we arrived we were bused to a terminal/visitor center well outside the port area. We had a map which showed the location of some local sights and immediately headed towards the Amazon Theater also known as the Manuas Opera House.

We immediately saw the Metropolitan Cathedral of our Lady of the Conception.  Photo outside and inside

As we neared the Opera House we saw this yellow building which is the Amazon Palace of Justice.  It was all decorated for the upcoming holidays and had beautiful Christmas displays set up outside.

Finally we arrived at the pink Opera House!  We did not want to tour inside so weren't able to take pictures.

Near the Opera House we saw this impressive building which is is San Sebastian church.  We did go inside it and saw a beautiful double dome inside.

We headed back to the ship and sailed away that evening.  The view of the Manaus skyline.

And the Rio Negro Bridge, over the Rio Negro River near the confluence of the Amazon River.  It's the only major bridge over any part of the Amazon or Amazon tributaries.

Nice photos Sandi.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We overnighted in Manaus on March 2 and 3, 2023.   We wanted to see the Amazon close up so we booked a river tour up the Black River tributary.    First we took a multi level river boat to the confluence then went to a summer flood plain in smaller boats.  We had a celestial event with Venus and Mars during the overnight and were blessed with a beautiful sunrise.  There is a shared photo from the GSA Facebook group that allowed to be shared which is a close up of the pink dolphins which was a HA shorex.   Have a nice day everyone. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230304_155342868_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230304_154044650_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_181550360_HDR.jpg

FB_IMG_1678055808125.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Last night Bindi and I were treated to a hazy preview of the Super Blue Moon.

IMG_3960.jpeg.6c08129978210e85a35590c1850a18aa.jpeg

Spectacular even through the haze, especially since I never expected to see anything but rain or clouds last night. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. My haircut was canceled yesterday, so I am hoping to be squeezed in today. Gym, Bindi walks, branch patrol and if conditions permit - gathering at the beachfront winery to howl at tonight’s moon. If not, then we will visit our favorite indoor wine bar.

IMG_1705.jpeg.52820bf84c08ecd731d8cfa1ec69c449.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg.1e518ecc407965843e3f5da40413c360.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg.95109913741f61d43c1165e5a321da0a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Sharon in AZ Prayers for your entire family & especially your Mom. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Mr. Boston Your trip sounds amazing. Hope it is one for the memory books!

Get well & stay well everyone. 

2017 Fratelli Antonio & Raimondo Langhe Nebbiolo

Somewhat elusive; no critic reviews and only a small number of consumers have bothered to rate this wine. But the ones who did think it is good - very good. A few online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.

Distributor Notes

Founded in 1938 by the two Levis brothers, Antonio and Raimondo. Both were passionate about Nebbiolo, which led them to the Langhe region. The brothers' driving ambition was "quality at any cost" and they worked tirelessly to meet that goal. It was thought that their ambition to make quality wine was even more so due to the fact they were both hearing impaired and used their wine as a form of expression. In 2002, Raimondo died and because neither brother had any heirs, Antonio partnered with the esteemed Sartirano Family who has been making wine in the region since 1871. The Sartirano Family handles all aspects of the winemaking while still holding true to the Fratelli’s original ideals- producing honest, classically styled wines.

Vines were planted in the mid-1980s. Farming is organic, harvesting is manual and sorting is rigorous. After destemming and crushing, fermentation occurs in stainless steel tanks at moderate temperatures. Maceration on the skins for 8 days with daily pump-overs. Aged for 8 months in second hand barriques, lightly fined and minimally filtered.

Red fruits, herbs, tobacco, and smoke with the perfect balance between tannins and acidity.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 4

Off to eye doctor this morning. Itching has been getting worse for DH so hoping she will discontinue some of the meds. But we’ll have to pack them just in case. 

Moon last night was very fuzzy through the clouds. The storm came at a bad time for many with the King Tide. Now to start the cleanup. Those road  pictures are dramatic!  

Blessings have gone out to all!  Will check back later. Will be hard not having much internet!  

Smooth travels Mr Boston!  Enjoy an Amazing trip!  
Maureen 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The inside of the Manaus opera house. 

IMG_4097.jpeg

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4095.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4091.jpeg

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

Thank you Dixie!  I was hoping you would show us some inside photos from the Opera House.

DH says our total amount of rain yesterday was only about half an inch.  I knew it was light but still it's surprising how little we got.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

& thanks always to Debbie, Vanessa, Dixie & Ann.

It’s still too wet to eat outside and while I enjoy memoirs, I can’t really say I love them.  Abbey’s quote may be true.  If stirring is all it takes, I think we need to stir the pot of society a lot with all the people hurting others.

IMG_0883.jpeg.6cc4b10f9e66fb60bed529e0636e8b97.jpeg

I do believe the rain has stopped, at least for now. There will be more in a few days from the sounds of things.  When Ivan and I snuck out for his walk (more like a run), the gullies leading to the sewers were full and overflowing.  Good think I am on a hill.  Why we all need to de clutter and downsize our “stuff”.

IMG_0882.thumb.jpeg.1a13d471e465d87fb421613d442bd984.jpeg

@Mr. Boston I hope you like Casa Camper.  I believe they are still #1 on Tripadvisor or darn close to it.  And deservedly so.  I would happily stay there again if I were in Barcelona.  Staff were phenomenal and the Terrace with the honour bar is very nice.  Their munchies available in the afternoon and evening were decent.  If you like tapas, there is a fabulous tapas place across the street from Casa Camper just one or two places to the left.  Primarily locals and very good.  Safe travels to you.  Hope you have a fantastic time 🙂 

IMG_0881.thumb.jpeg.828fe51cbb8ac6cfa62880c9a87496ed.jpeg

Need to get some errands done today.  Long weekend coming and tomorrow is packed with appointments which will be long enough to leave Ivan without adding time for other errands.

IMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.453c711e4fa67ed865cc5d6f4c6ac5c7.jpeg

Idalia has certainly left a swath of destruction as it moved through 😔. Hoping everyone was able to stay safe 🙏 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_0880.thumb.jpeg.3e39ca5b64929e7f1152f56c2734c785.jpeg

Have a good Thursday everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day at 47 degrees.  It is supposed to warm up to mid 70s.  It was supposed to do that yesterday, but never did.  Miss River will be here tonight and stay till Monday so we have a lot of fun activities planned for her.  

I'm glad to get the reports from the Dailyites in the path of Idalia.  Thank you to all for letting us know you're ok.  I hope things go well for @marshhawk's DH @catmando today.  

Today's meal is more of a side dish.  You could probably add some chicken to make it a full meal.  The recipes vary in the additional ingredients and seasonings.   https://therecipecritic.com/summer-corn-salad/

cornsalad1.thumb.jpg.904cf3a6b28c179bc4206b7db39b1ac6.jpg

This one adds in cucumbers, but you could also use zucchini, peppers, avocados, carrots, etc.  

Cornsalad2.thumb.jpg.e425e652708438cf8ef3dfbd347137fc.jpg

And here's one with a little bite for those who like some spice in their lives.  https://cookieandkate.com/garden-fresh-corn-salad/

cornsalad4.thumb.jpg.bb07a424992ff966148a832d791ae59b.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good beautiful cool 64 degrees and sunny morning. If only it would last, starting Sunday it’s supposed to be 90 and above for several days. 

Today is a sad day in history, 26 years ago we lost Princess Di. I was actually onboard the old Nieuw Amsterdam sailing for Alaska when the news report was announced. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Hope everyone made it through the storm ok. We just received a lot of rain and wind. Came in bands. Unfortunately, the beach has a lot of erosion. Was hard to walk very far. 

We really enjoy eating outside and do most days. I do like trail mix.

@Mr. Boston  Have a wonderful trip.  Stay safe and enjoy.

@Sharon in AZ   Very sorry to hear about your aunt. I know it is a blessing but it is still one less person at the table. Hope your memories bring you all peace.

Off to the library this AM. We have a copier there that Is owned by the "Friends" organization. Once a month we have to empty the money. It helps to pay for programs. It is amazing how much it generates.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2