Checked luggage loaded onto wrong ship at Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Turtles06

I don’t think this happens very often, but it happened yesterday at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, where both the NCL Joy and the Oceania Insignia were leaving for Bermuda. A friend on the Insignia never got her checked bag last night, and learned that it had been loaded onto the Joy.  (I have no other details yet, but it’s hard to know how that happened.)  The Joy is scheduled to dock at the Dockyard tomorrow, while the Insignia will be in St. George. I sure hope the Insignia has arranged to pick up the misdirected luggage. 

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yikes ! 

They were both docked at Pier 88, Joy at the north berth and Insignia at the south berth so something got thrown on the wrong cart.

Yikes is right. Thanks for explaining where the ships were. (And yes, good that it didn’t wind up on Viking. 🙃)

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

hopefully   the staff  can retrieve the luggage  upon arrival in Bermuda  

hope they do not have to wait too long to arrive  in Bermuda

Both ships should be in Bermuda tomorrow, although I’ve just learned that the Insignia is skipping St. George. 

Edited by Turtles06

26 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Both ships should be in Bermuda tomorrow, although I’ve just learned that the Insignia is skipping St. George. 

No doubt too windy to safely negotiate Town Cut into St. George's. The winds are still fairly strong from Franklin and now Bermuda's under a tropical storm watch for Idalia. I can pretty well guarantee that if the ships are able to dock tomorrow they won't be staying for very long.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

A friend on the Insignia never got her checked bag last night, and learned that it had been loaded onto the Joy. . . . I sure hope the Insignia has arranged to pick up the misdirected luggage. 

Do you suppose that, in the meantime, Oceania provides a credit in the vessel's store for clothing until reunification?

oh no! Hope she'll be able to retrieve her luggage

There's going to be 2 other ships at the Manhattan cruise terminal when we embark on the NCL Escape later this month.   I know misplaced luggage doesn't happen often, but I still can't help but feel a little paranoid about leaving anything with the porters. 

7 minutes ago, sanabeans said:

I know misplaced luggage doesn't happen often, but I still can't help but feel a little paranoid about leaving anything with the porters. 

Understandable. Have money out for a nice tip and make sure you see the porter put your bags on a cart for the Escape. 

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

They may just skip Bermuda   if too windy to dock

Joy is already docked and Insignia is in the ship channel headed to her dock.

It's somewhat odd because minimum tropical storm force winds are expected to affect Bermuda in not too many hours. I guess they feel they can stay safely docked. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t know the details yet, but I’m happy to report that my friend on the Insignia now has her luggage!  

They are docked in Hamilton and were supposed to have had three days in Bermuda, but will be leaving tomorrow. I’m guessing that’s weather related; at least they will have had a day there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On a sailing of mine NCL Star we got as far as the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge and turned around and returned to MCT for a medical emergency that they felt it was safer to transfer docked than while underway. (Only going to Bermuda).

On the pier was the ambulance and about 15 bags of luggage the size that you would have to check on an airplane.

Unlucky for the person that had to be evacuated but a lot of passengers it would seem were happy to be reunited with their bags.

Me, I got two sailings, one after sunset, down the Hudson.