Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Mackinac Island,  Horse road apples, flies, and fudge.   The worlds longest porch at the Grand Hotel.  It cost none guests to walk on.   The hotel uses Jamaican Servers that come over for the season.  The dining room is served like they use to do on cruise ships.  The grand parade bringing in the entrees and deserts.  It may have changed but that is how it was when we’re were staying there and that was over 20 years ago.  

I was looking at some of the highlights and they mention passing under the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.   There are many bridges you will go under, The Mighty Mac, Blue Water  and also the new bridge that is being built south of the Ambassador Bridge, it is about 50% complete 

My grandmother came over on the boat at the turn of the century.   No issues.   She went across Lake Michigan and got sea sick.   Different type of waves.  

Detroit Sky Line isn’t much to look at.  The tallest is the GM Renaissance that was constructed  in the 70’s, the Renaissance Center was designed by Architect John C. Portman.

Portman is the same architect who designed Atlanta’s Westin Peachtree Plaza and the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles, which both have a striking resemblance to Detroit’s Renaissance Center.  

When we go to Canada we never have a problem with people speaking French, even  in Quebec.   Everyone was always very friendly and helpful.  The only time is during the hockey season when things can get little rowdy, EH.   And that is mostly from the Boston fans attending the Montreal games. 

Be sure to take your phone off of roaming.  There are places here where I live (south of Detroit)  that picks up the feed from a Canada Tower and people get stuck with a very high bill.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

Hi Jim,  Following you and Iain as you discover Ponant.  We will be most interested in your experience.  Thank you for giving us a "front row seat"!

All our best, Mike and Mary

Thanks Mike and Mary -   Should be interesting.    I going into this with the expectation that it will be different and embrace the differences. 

• Like 1

For those interested, we have a Prestige suite on Le Lyrial, which is basically two of Jim & Iain's rooms joined as one.  The bed in one is converted to a sofa, so one cabin becomes a living room.  It gives us two bathrooms and two closets, but the suite is bisected by the middle wall with a TV on each side.  The plus is a super large balcony, which we hope to use extensively in Antarctica.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I really enjoy Celebrity's CS and above with a separate bedroom.     It can come in handy when someone, not mentioning any names, starts snoring like a Sea Lion.

Starting booking this class of suite12 years ago.  Took DD, SIL, and 2-yr old GD on a Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego and wanted the use the LR/DR for in suite dinning for the 4 of us and to have extra room for when GD want to sleepover.

DW likes to book them because of my snoring and just to be able to chill out the comfort and privacy of our suite on sea days.  When we starting taking the grands with us we felt the separate room with full dining size table was more a necessity than a luxury.  Having in-suite breakfasts every morning really reduce the level of stress associated with getting everyone up and out to eat before beginning a busy day on shore.  Because we tend to book longer cruises with more sea days, this has become the norm rather than the exception.

Now that DW and I are pretty much back to sailing by ourselves our need for the extra space has dissipated.  For no other reason than that, your review of your suite on your coming cruise will be interesting to read.  

7 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

It took me until page 4, but I'm in!!

Like so many others, we are looking at some other lines. As my DW and I have thought about it, the main X factor deterring us from booking them is the Retreat price (ok, also how us cancelled-TA folks were cast aside).  We really enjoy the E-class Retreat experience. 

Looks like an MSC YC and an Oceania cruise will be the next two we book, just trying to decide when and where. With my wife's mobility issues, we don't want a really port intensive itinerary -- its not feasible to get off at all of them. My guess is Oceania will be a TA or Panama Canal. We shall see.

Anyway, looking forward to another Jim & Iain review !!!!

mac_tlc

We’re sailing on the new Oceania ship, Vista, 1/8/25-1/24/25. Miami-Los Angeles. We haven’t been through the canal in quite a while, and like many of you, we are branching out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

We’re sailing on the new Oceania ship, Vista, 1/8/25-1/24/25. Miami-Los Angeles. We haven’t been through the canal in quite a while, and like many of you, we are branching out. 

We are considering the 1/24/25 LA-Miami voyage.

mac_tlc

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our trip to Quebec on Summit last year opened our eyes.    The Quebec/Montreal cruises to Boston are really fantastic.   We are burnt out on the Caribbean.

Hi Jim, 

First, I would like to wish you and Lain a beautiful cruise on Le Ponant. I really look forward to read and "see" excerpts of your new adventure.

Regarding the cruise, Montreal Boston, you are correct, it was a beautiful trip. Living in the greater Montreal area, it was really fun for once, to board a cruise ship, without having to fly. The region is peaceful and beautiful. We really enjoyed that cruise in the summer, on HAL. 

Talking about the region, I was astonished, a few days ago, while walking on the shore of St-Bernard Island (a pure, little historically preserved island gem in our area, at the intersection on the Châteauguay River and St-Lawrence River), to see the Viking Polaris sail just in front of us. Indeed, very few cruise ship can sail West of Montreal, because of the shallow waters, the low bridges and the locks. Actually, the Viking Polaris, could be similar in size to Le Ponant. May be something to consider, if you wish to come back in our area.

P.s. If you need help with the French language, I am available!

Lastly, I was hoping our paths could crisscross on one of the Celebrity cruises, ( we are booked on the Edge, for February 2024), but it's becoming more unlikely, since you're jumping ship! 

Just in case, I don't have another chance to say it, thank-you so much for all your support and your reviews on the Celebrity Boards. It's always been a pleasure to read you and to receive your well-informed tips!

Looking forward to read a Le Ponant adventure! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We are considering the 1/24/25 LA-Miami voyage.

mac_tlc

Friends and I booked this sailing while on the Insignia June/July. One of the last segments of the world cruise. Had a great time but can’t say I enjoyed it anymore than being in a SS on Celebrity.

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks -    We will be flying in a day early and plan on seeing your beautiful city.   I hate to say that as much planning as I do, I often don't do any planning on the Embarkation and Disembarkation ports.  

Last night I was watching a couple videos on the best things to do and see in Milwaukee.   Since I will have to get my 10 mile walk in I was looking at the Waterfront from Piehead Lighthouse to Lake Park.   

That will be an awesome walk! Assuming you are staying in the Pierhead Lighthouse neighborhood, it’s a great neighborhood to explore.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks much -   It will really be helpful if some of you recommend other cruise lines to explore.    I think high on our demand list are itineraries other than the standard Caribbean and Mediterranean and of a duration 14+ days.  

Top on my list is a life long dream to visit Africa.   

Jim,

if Africa is of interest, you might want to look into Oceana Insignia, half of their 2025 world cruise,  Capetown to Singapore segment, 33 days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure you will find this interesting.  They have a full section on cruises with NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT.

https://us.ponant.com/offers/no-single-supplement

After resumption of travel I read of a number of couples that  were booking two rooms with no  supplement instead of a larger suite.  Hmmmm... 

Awesome.  Now I just need to find one with no single supplement and an itinerary I want to do.

5 minutes ago, lallak1 said:

That will be an awesome walk! Assuming you are staying in the Pierhead Lighthouse neighborhood, it’s a great neighborhood to explore.

Actually staying at Residents Inn - N Plankington Ave.    We are long distance walker and I walk 10 miles a day so anything within 4-5 miles one way is on target.    I think the Lighthouse is about 1.5 miles. 

Looks like a nice property.   We really enjoy a 2 room suite with kitchen facilities even if we don't cook. 

Looks like a nice Property

image.thumb.png.e66a6c99c7e5c8e01c404449ffeb8b20.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Awesome.  Now I just need to find one with no single supplement and an itinerary I want to do.

Sounds like a deal.   I told Iain we should do one and get two rooms and use one as our Living Room and Second Bath.      Perfect for when he snores.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Poconolady said:

Jim,

if Africa is of interest, you might want to look into Oceana Insignia, half of their 2025 world cruise,  Capetown to Singapore segment, 33 days. 

Will take a look.   I found one of about the same number of days - off the top of my head can't remember the cruise line but a B2B with the first being from Cape Town up the West Coast and then a TA to either Buenos Aires or Rio.  

I thing Singapore is out --- We are doing Singapore to Sydney and NZ in November / December and then flying back to Sydney for the TP Sydney to Vancouver in March.   Will probably try something with shorter flight times.   The Business Class air is really obscene but can't imagine doing it in Coach...  

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 1:11 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I will have to feel that one out with Iain.   We love dressing for dinner so no problem with their dress code.   We initially didn't like their "Class Structure" and separation but I guess that is the direction many cruise lines have done with the Suite within a Suite concept.

There are so many options and so little time.

QM2 - the only ship we have ever cruised on where:

1) half the restaurant stood up and booed when the Chefs were introduced to the passengers in the main restaurant towards end of the cruise.

2) where the Captain walked out of his Q and A session in a packed theater because he couldn't accept the amount of criticism he was getting.

I accept these were probably just "one offs" we have never been back to find out and never will.

52 minutes ago, the penguins said:

1) half the restaurant stood up and booed when the Chefs were introduced to the passengers in the main restaurant towards end of the cruise.

2) where the Captain walked out of his Q and A session in a packed theater because he couldn't accept the amount of criticism he was getting.

I accept these were probably just "one offs" we have never been back to find out and never will.

I'm guessing there are very specific reasons for that kind of criticism. What happened on your cruise? 

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks -  Will be interesting to see the demographics on this cruise.   It is rather unique even to Ponant's normal more exotic cruises.   I suspect in addition to a high French presence there will be a large number of French Canadians.  

You could well be correct. Gary Bembridge (Tips For Travellers - Youtube Channel) has a pretty good video reviewing Ponant if you've not watched it already. 

He was very positive about the line. Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to reading your review. 

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

would like to hear more detail..we are considering  QM 2/ Cunard

12 hours ago, miched said:

Mackinac Island,  Horse road apples, flies, and fudge.   The worlds longest porch at the Grand Hotel.  It cost none guests to walk on.   The hotel uses Jamaican Servers that come over for the season.  The dining room is served like they use to do on cruise ships.  The grand parade bringing in the entrees and deserts.  It may have changed but that is how it was when we’re were staying there and that was over 20 years ago.  

I was looking at some of the highlights and they mention passing under the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.   There are many bridges you will go under, The Mighty Mac, Blue Water  and also the new bridge that is being built south of the Ambassador Bridge, it is about 50% complete 

My grandmother came over on the boat at the turn of the century.   No issues.   She went across Lake Michigan and got sea sick.   Different type of waves.  

Detroit Sky Line isn’t much to look at.  The tallest is the GM Renaissance that was constructed  in the 70’s, the Renaissance Center was designed by Architect John C. Portman.

Portman is the same architect who designed Atlanta’s Westin Peachtree Plaza and the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles, which both have a striking resemblance to Detroit’s Renaissance Center.  

When we go to Canada we never have a problem with people speaking French, even  in Quebec.   Everyone was always very friendly and helpful.  The only time is during the hockey season when things can get little rowdy, EH.   And that is mostly from the Boston fans attending the Montreal games. 

Be sure to take your phone off of roaming.  There are places here where I live (south of Detroit)  that picks up the feed from a Canada Tower and people get stuck with a very high bill.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Aloha. Went to Law School in Michigan decades ago and met some of the finest friends for life. Great memories and that hotel is magical.  Thank you for your posts and making me smile!

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

would like to hear more detail..we are considering  QM 2/ Cunard

Our cabin: Atrium view:

1) the shower curtain didn't fit after the steward ignored our complaint, we contacted GR who arranged for the curtain to be refitted but it still didn't reach the floor.

2) everytime we used the shower the bathroom floor was flooded. The Cabin Steward's reaction "It always does that, I will bring you extra towels to mop it up" 

3) light on dressing table is only on one side which makes applying makeup difficult. Mention this at GR and the response was "Yes sir you have to have an outside cabin if you want lights on both sides of the mirror.

There were numerous other "niggles"

Food:

Generally very, very poor.

One one night I ordered a steak (medium)

Steak 1) couldn't be cut - the waiter suggested a sharper knife - I asked for  another steak. 

Steak 2) couldn't be cut - I asked for the Maitre D - he apologised and said he would personally bring me another steak.

Steak 3) served by the Maitre D - I asked him to cut it - he couldn't.

At this point my wife said "why don't you have the fish, it's totally tasteless but at least you can cut. My wife's father was a traditional fish monger and she knows her fish.

Extra vegetables - the same 3 every night (brocolli and carrots were 2). When we asked what happens on a World Cruise we were told it's still the same 3 vegetables.

Coffee Shop:

Basically non existent. A long sort of corridor opposite the pub. Completely no atmosphere.

Pub:

Great it had traditional English Desserts (Spotted Dick, Jam Rolly Poly etc) but no choice just one dessert a day.

Burgers and Toast:

All precooked and laid out in trays - nothing fresh until trays were empty. Regular passengers said they simply move "back down the line" until the trays were replaced. 

Broken Coffee machines:

It happens. However when both machines outside the WiFi Lounge had been out of order for several days it was clear noone cared.

Captains Q and A

The tone was set by the Captain in the very first exchange:

Passenger: we are doing Back to Back Cruises and this is the second leg.

Captain: This is Cunard we don't do Cruises we do Voyages.

P: ok Voyages. When we docked in New York there had been a large storm and disembarkation was delayed. I appreciate that this wasn't Cunard's fault but we were unable to disembark until after our tour (booked through the ship) had departed. When we asked for a refund this was denied.

😄he meeting point for the excursions was on the pier, it's your responsibility to be there on time.

P: we couldn't get off the ship 

😄 that's your responsibility, there will no refunds. Next question please.

New Passenger: Disembarkation was enforced by Deck, all Suite Passengers got to go on the excursions and none else 

😄 it was your responsibilty to be on the pier at the correct time. We only make the reservations to help you we are not responsible.

Sorry the initial C for Captain has been replaced by the 😄 and I can't change it.

Sending now in case this times out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim,  I just four. This thread after wondering where you have been.  A.ways enjoy your live reviews ( boarding the Summit next Sunday for NE/ Canada).  We have many friends in our complex in FL from Sault Ste. Marie and it sounds like a charming town. Enjoy your cruise!

Just now, the penguins said:

Our cabin: Atrium view:

1) the shower curtain didn't fit after the steward ignored our complaint, we contacted GR who arranged for the curtain to be refitted but it still didn't reach the floor.

2) everytime we used the shower the bathroom floor was flooded. The Cabin Steward's reaction "It always does that, I will bring you extra towels to mop it up" 

3) light on dressing table is only on one side which makes applying makeup difficult. Mention this at GR and the response was "Yes sir you have to have an outside cabin if you want lights on both sides of the mirror.

There were numerous other "niggles"

Food:

Generally very, very poor.

One one night I ordered a steak (medium)

Steak 1) couldn't be cut - the waiter suggested a sharper knife - I asked for  another steak. 

Steak 2) couldn't be cut - I asked for the Maitre D - he apologised and said he would personally bring me another steak.

Steak 3) served by the Maitre D - I asked him to cut it - he couldn't.

At this point my wife said "why don't you have the fish, it's totally tasteless but at least you can cut. My wife's father was a traditional fish monger and she knows her fish.

Extra vegetables - the same 3 every night (brocolli and carrots were 2). When we asked what happens on a World Cruise we were told it's still the same 3 vegetables.

Coffee Shop:

Basically non existent. A long sort of corridor opposite the pub. Completely no atmosphere.

Pub:

Great it had traditional English Desserts (Spotted Dick, Jam Rolly Poly etc) but no choice just one dessert a day.

Burgers and Toast:

All precooked and laid out in trays - nothing fresh until trays were empty. Regular passengers said they simply move "back down the line" until the trays were replaced. 

Broken Coffee machines:

It happens. However when both machines outside the WiFi Lounge had been out of order for several days it was clear noone cared.

Captains Q and A

The tone was set by the Captain in the very first exchange:

Passenger: we are doing Back to Back Cruises and this is the second leg.

Captain: This is Cunard we don't do Cruises we do Voyages.

P: ok Voyages. When we docked in New York there had been a large storm and disembarkation was delayed. I appreciate that this wasn't Cunard's fault but we were unable to disembark until after our tour (booked through the ship) had departed. When we asked for a refund this was denied.

😄he meeting point for the excursions was on the pier, it's your responsibility to be there on time.

P: we couldn't get off the ship 

😄 that's your responsibility, there will no refunds. Next question please.

New Passenger: Disembarkation was enforced by Deck, all Suite Passengers got to go on the excursions and none else 

😄 it was your responsibilty to be on the pier at the correct time. We only make the reservations to help you we are not responsible.

Sorry the initial C for Captain has been replaced by the 😄 and I can't change it.

Sending now in case this times out.

Treatment of Disabled passenger on Disembarkation.

Setting the Scene: Cunard disembarks by deck and seems not to care how this impacts on passengers resulting in a long line of people trying to change times. 

We were told to line up at Guest Relations after nearly an hour we were told it was the Excursions Desk who would be dealing with us and to move there.

The guy ahead explained that he was travelling in a family group of 6, one of whom had complex disability issues and a lot of equipment. They had asked for the earliest disembarkation time and had been given the latest.

Excursions person: there is nothing we can do.

P: we will miss our flight.

E: did you book with Cunard

P: No. Because of our complex needs Cunard advised that we should make our own arrangements. I have a copy of the email advising us to do this.

E: there is nothing we can do if you want an earlier time you will have to self disembark.

P: that's impossible with all the equipment we have.

E: There is nothing we can do, I need to assist other Guests.

We travel with friends in wheelchairs and found this response from Cunard totally unacceptable.

Yes, we have friends who like Cunard (most have no experience of any other lines).

Yes we accept our overall experience was a "one off" but the culture seemed to be "embedded" throughout the ship.

No we are not willing to risk Cunard again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to reading, your trip reports are always entertaining and interesting! 

Personally I wouldnt look at a Ponant cruise, I'd prefer a larger ship with more to do and at considerably lower prices! I think to me the only advantage would be getting to ports that are otherwise inaccessible to larger ships. However, I love sailing so I think for the prices Ponant charge I'd rather charter a small yacht with a captain and cruise around wherever we wanted. 

Possible next cruise for me, after the Beyond in a couple of weeks, might be around Norway. A standard cabin (204sq ft, kinda tiny) on Le Bellot for a 10 night Norway cruise next year is £1,000 per person per night. The 8 night Apex Norway cruise works out at £340 per person per night in AQ (243sq ft cabins). 

I do love reading about all travel experiences, not just on X, and I'm sure you'll love your cruise even if its completely different to what you're used to!