Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Looking forward to following along with you and Iain on this new adventure. It’s a lovely itinerary. I’m sure you’ll be getting your 20,000 steps in while in port instead of walking around the ship due to its size. Have a fabulous trip!! I always enjoy your reviews…

Mary Lynn

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Treatment of Disabled passenger on Disembarkation.

Setting the Scene: Cunard disembarks by deck and seems not to care how this impacts on passengers resulting in a long line of people trying to change times. 

We were told to line up at Guest Relations after nearly an hour we were told it was the Excursions Desk who would be dealing with us and to move there.

The guy ahead explained that he was travelling in a family group of 6, one of whom had complex disability issues and a lot of equipment. They had asked for the earliest disembarkation time and had been given the latest.

Excursions person: there is nothing we can do.

P: we will miss our flight.

E: did you book with Cunard

P: No. Because of our complex needs Cunard advised that we should make our own arrangements. I have a copy of the email advising us to do this.

E: there is nothing we can do if you want an earlier time you will have to self disembark.

P: that's impossible with all the equipment we have.

E: There is nothing we can do, I need to assist other Guests.

We travel with friends in wheelchairs and found this response from Cunard totally unacceptable.

Yes, we have friends who like Cunard (most have no experience of any other lines).

Yes we accept our overall experience was a "one off" but the culture seemed to be "embedded" throughout the ship.

No we are not willing to risk Cunard again.

Well you just cured my ever considering a Cunard cruise, I mean "Voyage" Thank you for posting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, marieps said:

For those interested, we have a Prestige suite on Le Lyrial, which is basically two of Jim & Iain's rooms joined as one.  The bed in one is converted to a sofa, so one cabin becomes a living room.  It gives us two bathrooms and two closets, but the suite is bisected by the middle wall with a TV on each side.  The plus is a super large balcony, which we hope to use extensively in Antarctica.

Thanks --- I was really tempted but decided to hold off until we see if Ponant is a match.   It really looks like a nice room.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, miched said:

Mackinac Island,  Horse road apples, flies, and fudge.   The worlds longest porch at the Grand Hotel.  It cost none guests to walk on.   The hotel uses Jamaican Servers that come over for the season.  The dining room is served like they use to do on cruise ships.  The grand parade bringing in the entrees and deserts.  It may have changed but that is how it was when we’re were staying there and that was over 20 years ago.  

I was looking at some of the highlights and they mention passing under the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.   There are many bridges you will go under, The Mighty Mac, Blue Water  and also the new bridge that is being built south of the Ambassador Bridge, it is about 50% complete 

My grandmother came over on the boat at the turn of the century.   No issues.   She went across Lake Michigan and got sea sick.   Different type of waves.  

Detroit Sky Line isn’t much to look at.  The tallest is the GM Renaissance that was constructed  in the 70’s, the Renaissance Center was designed by Architect John C. Portman.

Portman is the same architect who designed Atlanta’s Westin Peachtree Plaza and the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles, which both have a striking resemblance to Detroit’s Renaissance Center.  

When we go to Canada we never have a problem with people speaking French, even  in Quebec.   Everyone was always very friendly and helpful.  The only time is during the hockey season when things can get little rowdy, EH.   And that is mostly from the Boston fans attending the Montreal games. 

Be sure to take your phone off of roaming.  There are places here where I live (south of Detroit)  that picks up the feed from a Canada Tower and people get stuck with a very high bill.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Wow... thanks for all the great information.

I think I may be ok with my Phone.   I have T-Mobile and the free roaming in Canada at 5 G and about 198 other counties at a bit slower. 

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island has a very special place in my heart.  "Somewhere in Time" was filmed there and without going into details I have a very strong attraction to film.   My first love use to play the soundtrack for me every night to fall asleep to.   He passed away 40 years ago.   

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Starting booking this class of suite12 years ago.  Took DD, SIL, and 2-yr old GD on a Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego and wanted the use the LR/DR for in suite dinning for the 4 of us and to have extra room for when GD want to sleepover.

DW likes to book them because of my snoring and just to be able to chill out the comfort and privacy of our suite on sea days.  When we starting taking the grands with us we felt the separate room with full dining size table was more a necessity than a luxury.  Having in-suite breakfasts every morning really reduce the level of stress associated with getting everyone up and out to eat before beginning a busy day on shore.  Because we tend to book longer cruises with more sea days, this has become the norm rather than the exception.

Now that DW and I are pretty much back to sailing by ourselves our need for the extra space has dissipated.  For no other reason than that, your review of your suite on your coming cruise will be interesting to read.  

Thanks --- I agree with summary of the CS.    While some hate it on the M-Class ships due to the total darkness of the bedroom and the height of the bath tub, It is one of our favorite Ships.    We started booking them when there wasn't as much demand for them as they had no balcony or outside space.    They added the balconies and in my opinion really increased the desirability of the suite.

16 hours ago, asnaleah said:

We’re sailing on the new Oceania ship, Vista, 1/8/25-1/24/25. Miami-Los Angeles. We haven’t been through the canal in quite a while, and like many of you, we are branching out. 

I really think you will enjoy the Canal crossing.   There is so much to see and they usually have a docent aboard to curate the crossing

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Hi Jim, 

First, I would like to wish you and Lain a beautiful cruise on Le Ponant. I really look forward to read and "see" excerpts of your new adventure.

Regarding the cruise, Montreal Boston, you are correct, it was a beautiful trip. Living in the greater Montreal area, it was really fun for once, to board a cruise ship, without having to fly. The region is peaceful and beautiful. We really enjoyed that cruise in the summer, on HAL. 

Talking about the region, I was astonished, a few days ago, while walking on the shore of St-Bernard Island (a pure, little historically preserved island gem in our area, at the intersection on the Châteauguay River and St-Lawrence River), to see the Viking Polaris sail just in front of us. Indeed, very few cruise ship can sail West of Montreal, because of the shallow waters, the low bridges and the locks. Actually, the Viking Polaris, could be similar in size to Le Ponant. May be something to consider, if you wish to come back in our area.

P.s. If you need help with the French language, I am available!

Lastly, I was hoping our paths could crisscross on one of the Celebrity cruises, ( we are booked on the Edge, for February 2024), but it's becoming more unlikely, since you're jumping ship! 

Just in case, I don't have another chance to say it, thank-you so much for all your support and your reviews on the Celebrity Boards. It's always been a pleasure to read you and to receive your well-informed tips!

Looking forward to read a Le Ponant adventure! Enjoy! 

Just a little correct.  We are on Le Bellot.      Le Ponantwould be a total different experience,   Le Ponant is 3 Mast - 16 Stateroom Sailing Ship.   Someone is currently doing a live post from her from Australia right now. 

I've been following Le Bellot on CruiseMapper and she overnighted in your lovely city of Quebec.   All of the Ponant ships have live webcams and I was enjoying seeing the views coming into Montreal and the views of the city from the ship.  She has departed and in is on her last leg of the Reykajavik to Toronto cruise.   

Tomorrow she will begin the mirror image of our cruise to Milwaukee.   

The one thing we missed on our Boston - New England and Canada cruise was we could only make it as far as Quebec.   Would really have loved to continue onto Montreal but as you said -  You can't pass beyond Quebec in larger ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

Friends and I booked this sailing while on the Insignia June/July. One of the last segments of the world cruise. Had a great time but can’t say I enjoyed it anymore than being in a SS on Celebrity.

Interesting and a good perspective. 

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

QM2 - the only ship we have ever cruised on where:

1) half the restaurant stood up and booed when the Chefs were introduced to the passengers in the main restaurant towards end of the cruise.

2) where the Captain walked out of his Q and A session in a packed theater because he couldn't accept the amount of criticism he was getting.

I accept these were probably just "one offs" we have never been back to find out and never will.

Wow... so sorry to hear of the bad experience.    It is really a shame that even if a "one off" that things that the Staff didn't recognize the failure earlier in the cruise and put corrective actions in place.

One poor cruise can really taint our feelings.    We had a really bad experience on Reflections when she first launched and have refused to sail her since.   I'll just say Luminae was running the Maitre'd instead of the opposite.    I read so many good reviews of her now, but that one experienced her has soured us.

6 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

You could well be correct. Gary Bembridge (Tips For Travellers - Youtube Channel) has a pretty good video reviewing Ponant if you've not watched it already. 

He was very positive about the line. Enjoy your cruise. Looking forward to reading your review. 

Not that i'm addicted to travel planning,  I believe I have watched every video that YouTube has on offer.    He really does a nice review.   

I was watching a couple recently on Le Bellot cruise out of London under the Tower Bridge.   Definitely something a regular cruise could never do.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not that i'm addicted to travel planning,  I believe I have watched every video that YouTube has on offer.    He really does a nice review.   

I was watching a couple recently on Le Bellot cruise out of London under the Tower Bridge.   Definitely something a regular cruise could never do.

now that's amazing!

3 hours ago, vickykay said:

Jim,  I just four. This thread after wondering where you have been.  A.ways enjoy your live reviews ( boarding the Summit next Sunday for NE/ Canada).  We have many friends in our complex in FL from Sault Ste. Marie and it sounds like a charming town. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks  for joining along.

We always take the summer off from cruising during the summer.    The passenger loads and number of children traveling makes the summer cruises a negative for us.   Don't get me wrong,   I love children and we have 3 kids and 5 Grandchildren, but on vacation we enjoy quieter and longer cruises. 

There is a series Mighty Cruise Ships on Smithsonian channel, and one of the ships is Le Soleal.  I think it must have been in season one (2017) because when I Google them I only get seasons 2-4 and she isnt there.  It was a cruise in Indonesia.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

2 hours ago, OysterD said:

Looking forward to reading, your trip reports are always entertaining and interesting! 

Personally I wouldnt look at a Ponant cruise, I'd prefer a larger ship with more to do and at considerably lower prices! I think to me the only advantage would be getting to ports that are otherwise inaccessible to larger ships. However, I love sailing so I think for the prices Ponant charge I'd rather charter a small yacht with a captain and cruise around wherever we wanted. 

Possible next cruise for me, after the Beyond in a couple of weeks, might be around Norway. A standard cabin (204sq ft, kinda tiny) on Le Bellot for a 10 night Norway cruise next year is £1,000 per person per night. The 8 night Apex Norway cruise works out at £340 per person per night in AQ (243sq ft cabins). 

I do love reading about all travel experiences, not just on X, and I'm sure you'll love your cruise even if its completely different to what you're used to! 

Thanks for the comparison.   I'm sure the size of the ship will be interesting to get used to.    My main quandary is how I'll be able to get 10 miles walking in.   There doesn't appear to be walking / jogging track and the Gym is TINY.

1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Looking forward to following along with you and Iain on this new adventure. It’s a lovely itinerary. I’m sure you’ll be getting your 20,000 steps in while in port instead of walking around the ship due to its size. Have a fabulous trip!! I always enjoy your reviews…

Mary Lynn

That was my main concern but I'm sure we will survive.   I am also addicted to Audio Books and listen to them on my 3+ hour walks.

As long as they have good Coffee on the ship I will survive.

Thank you for another live review Jim! I hadn’t noticed it until page 8! I have been reading on the Viking forum lately as we, like you and many others, are going to be trying out other lines now. You put it very succinctly when you said “loyalty is a two way street”. We were on Apex in a CS in August and although the itinerary and staff were wonderful, we were very disillusioned by all the recent changes. 

Check to see with the Excursions Dept if they have a tour of the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island. Last summer (we were on Viking Expedition ship, Great Lakes, 2 weeks) they had an excursion to the Grand Hotel with lunch, otherwise I am pretty sure they no longer let people just walk the grounds or go to the Hotel unless you are with a tour or guests at the Hotel.  We had a wonderful lunch there, walked around, sat on front porch and shopped in Hotel shops. If that's important to you to go to the Hotel, you might want to check on that.  Have a great trip! 

12 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I don't think he will need help with the French language, since he reported that Lain speaks fluent French  🙂

Iain speaking French is a definite bonus, but everything I've read suggests they handle the two languages well onboard, but it will certainly help with any non-English speaking guest conversations.

Having sailed on MSC recently with 5 languages in use for announcements was interesting, but actually not as much of a distraction as I thought it might be.

14 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Iain speaking French is a definite bonus, but everything I've read suggests they handle the two languages well onboard, but it will certainly help with any non-English speaking guest conversations.

Having sailed on MSC recently with 5 languages in use for announcements was interesting, but actually not as much of a distraction as I thought it might be.

I actually reported on the Ponant board on CC a couple months ago that my experience was the two languages were *not* handled well onboard (but it was a very long-winded  review on a forum hardly anyone reads).  I was not the first to report a discrepancy. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=699343

Experiences  and expectations differ, of course, but though I am looking at Ponant for another cruise, if I go with DH (who speaks and understands zero French) it will almost certainly  not be one that doesn't have either an English dominant  group on board, or another reason to think more than the usual small minority of Anglophones will be on board (such as sailing out of an English--speaking country).   An expedition is also in the running (since there can be  no ports where excursions can be made "bilingual " (i.e., favoring French) if there is a guide shortage, and there will be no need to know what the times in "port" are (important for booking private excursions).

I am confident Jim and Lain will do great, however for various reasons. 

As for MSC it is a very different animal, and its 5 language announcements put all languages on the same level.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:17 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Iain and I will be embarking on our first Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 years a week from today.  

We have been very satisfied with Celebrity and never seen a need to cruise another line because Celebrity was a perfect match for us.   Celebrity has made some major changes in the past 1 1/2- 2 Years and finally reached the point for us to say -  Loyalty is a two way street.    Kinda like catching your spouse cheating we have come to conclude it is  time for a trail separation and possibly a divorce.   

It may take me awhile to get sorted out on how I am going to post a comparison between Ponant and Celebrity and Live Post at the same time.    Ponant is a  totally different products.

Ponant's Cruise Critic Forum https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/846-ponant/  is also very different to the very popular and free ranging Celebrity Forum.   Ponant's forum is only 15 pages long and their are no Roll Calls.      Most live post only run 1 or 2 pages and have very little banter.   For this reason I want to be respectful of their Forum and at the same time drive some of you to visit Ponant's Forum and understand their product offering.

Look forward to you and Iain’s thoughts.  I’ll be locked in starting 9/11

• Like 1

One think to remember is if you fall overboard you won’t float like you do in salt water, but you  won’t have to worry about any sharks, or gators and the water will be cold until you get to Lake St Clair.  The Muskies and maybe Pike might take a bite.   Snapping turtles have been rumored  to remove digits from people. 

A little more trivia 

Are the St Marys , St Clair, and Detroit Rivers straits or rivers ?  Detroit is French for strait

https://wdet.org/2017/07/25/curiosid-that-waterway-in-detroit-is-it-a-strait-or-a-river/

The J W Westcott is the only ship in the country to have its only ZIP code.  Ships passing thru Detroit have mail, supplies delivered and sent thru the ship as it meets them passing thru 

https://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/jw-westcott-company

The ship is docked south of the Ambassador Bridge.   It looks and serves as a pilot boat. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅