Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

Missed this post.   

AMEX Platinum card members get Priority Pass with their cards.  Are you saying the ATL Delta sky lounge or Centurion lounge was not allowing the use of Priority Passes for AMEX holders?

We were not in the ATL Delta lounge.    Even as a First Class Passenger on what I would call an International route were not permitted to use the Delta Lounge.    The only "lounges" available in Priority Pass for Atlanta was Samuel Adams Brew Hose in Concourse B. 

What I was saying was that in Denver the Restaurant had a notice that Priority Pass for Amex and Capitol One was not accepted

See Conditions 1

IMG_0003.thumb.png.e862915dd5b3b794b0c853acb985cd45.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, wrk2cruise said:

There has already been an update released 17.0.1

Yea... that is what my phone was upgraded to.     I went directly from 16.xxxx to 17.0.1

Maybe I should have gone to 17.0.0 first and then 17.0.1   

Problems with upgrades are sometimes specific to certain phone models and even to specific phones.   On Reddit forum there are many many issues being reported.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

On 9/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

I've just started using it at restaurants also. At SFO you can go to Lark Creek or Yankee Pier and get a good meal. It comes in handy now that most US Carriers aren't offering lounge access for domestic flights even when you are flying in first class.

I agree.... Iain asked... why haven't we been been using this before.   I simply replied I didn't realize the benefit.    I noticed at a couple of the restaurants, they had food to go and some were using their Priority Pass to buy food to take on the plane with them.  

I sure got full use of the card on this trip.  

I also noticed they have The Club Lounges available in all of the Terminals.   hmmmmm.   Why didn't I check earlier.     

5 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

We don't usually fly out of ATL.   But, we will be flying ATL to Cape Town in December.   Which restaurant did you go to in ATL airport?     Is the QR code on the Priority Pass card? 

I'm not sure I have a card any longer.   I just use the Priority Pass App and it has the QR code built into it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

Missed this post.   

AMEX Platinum card members get Priority Pass with their cards.  Are you saying the ATL Delta sky lounge or Centurion lounge was not allowing the use of Priority Passes for AMEX holders?

I recall reading that Delta was cutting back lounge access -    I found this which you might find helpful.   I don't use American Express so don't know all the in's and outs.

Starting in January 2024, card members flying in Basic Economy will no longer receive Sky Club access. From Feb. 1, 2025, the top-tier Amex cards will no longer offer unlimited Delta lounges access unless you can hit a high spending threshold.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DUTRAVEL said:

AMEX and Chase have different deals with Priority Pass. It’s is not at all unusual to see a sign that says AMEX Priority Pass cards are not being accepted while you can still get access through the Sapphire Reserve. 

I believe the Amex Priority Pass doesn't include the Restaurant benefit.  That may be only for Chase cards.

On 9/23/2023 at 7:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

In my case I am using Firestick with NordVPN.    I select SF Server and it not only blocks we are out of the country but also shows us in SF,  allowing us to watch our local stations live instead of just the recordings.

On my PC I had to just keep selecting a server until I found one that hasn't been black listed -   ST Louis worked for me.   

As an alternative you can log onto NordVPN site click the Chat ? icon

Type access YourTubeTv  -  use one of the servers it suggests by entering it in the search bar of NordVPN

it returns

image.thumb.png.dc65f981fcfebd50057eb03746751294.png

Thank you.  Knew I should have packed the firestick.  We only have iPads so that explains it.   Appreciate the help.  

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I recall reading that Delta was cutting back lounge access -    I found this which you might find helpful.   I don't use American Express so don't know all the in's and outs.

Starting in January 2024, card members flying in Basic Economy will no longer receive Sky Club access. From Feb. 1, 2025, the top-tier Amex cards will no longer offer unlimited Delta lounges access unless you can hit a high spending threshold.

Yeah when I was in Detroit there was no lounge access unless international flight or had an Amex - so they tried to sell me an Amex card. Took me saying I don't live in the US 5 times before they got I don't live in the US 🙄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe the Amex Priority Pass doesn't include the Restaurant benefit.  That may be only for Chase cards.

Here are the cards that qualify for the food credit for anyone who is interested (cut and paste from the points guy):

4 hours ago, ophkw said:

Thank you.  Knew I should have packed the firestick.  We only have iPads so that explains it.   Appreciate the help.  

You should be able to open NordVPN on you iPad and select one of the servers NordVPN lists that aren't blacklisted.   They constantly update the server list so if it works one day and not the next try a different server.

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Yeah when I was in Detroit there was no lounge access unless international flight or had an Amex - so they tried to sell me an Amex card. Took me saying I don't live in the US 5 times before they got I don't live in the US 🙄

I think I passed your Google office in Toronto when there.     When I saw the Google sign I thought of you.    

We have a friend who works for the Educational Station and is currently on strike -  We went down to support him.   Was nice to see all the support they were getting.

• Like 1

Huge thanks to everyone who has added information about alcohol free wines. I had never heard of alcohol free spirits. I very rarely drink at home, and haven't yet gotten the final word on whether or not I can have an occassional glass of wine with my newly diagnosed condition (the pros have differing opinions based on much more common semi-similar conditions). Anyway, we will be leaving for a 57 day trip with 45 days of cruising, and I generally enjoy a glass or two of wine on most cruising days. Knowing about alcohol free wines is helpful. 

Now to see if Princess has any (28 days are on Princess) and/or to see if I can find any in the Rocks area of Sydney before boarding that second cruise.

Y'all are awesome!!

9 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Huge thanks to everyone who has added information about alcohol free wines. I had never heard of alcohol free spirits. I very rarely drink at home, and haven't yet gotten the final word on whether or not I can have an occassional glass of wine with my newly diagnosed condition (the pros have differing opinions based on much more common semi-similar conditions). Anyway, we will be leaving for a 57 day trip with 45 days of cruising, and I generally enjoy a glass or two of wine on most cruising days. Knowing about alcohol free wines is helpful. 

Now to see if Princess has any (28 days are on Princess) and/or to see if I can find any in the Rocks area of Sydney before boarding that second cruise.

Y'all are awesome!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, 

There's a Dan Murphy's store at 53-63 Martin Place, Sydney approx 16 min walk from The Rocks.  I've also included their list of alcohol-free wines: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/list/non-alcohol-wine.  You also have Woolworths which is 11 mins walk away at 60 Margaret St (not as wide as a selection of alcohol free as Dan Murphy's?).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53+Martin+Place,+Sydney+NSW/The+Rocks+NSW/@-33.8635071,151.2041118,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12ae6a983c1cbf:0x1e4fd18cf6357ca1!2m2!1d151.2108938!2d-33.8679774!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12ae42b65d8fb3:0x5017d681632cd60!2m2!1d151.2080421!2d-33.859062!3e2?entry=ttu

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, 

There's a Dan Murphy's store at 53-63 Martin Place, Sydney approx 16 min walk from The Rocks.  I've also included their list of alcohol-free wines: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/list/non-alcohol-wine.  You also have Woolworths which is 11 mins walk away at 60 Margaret St (not as wide as a selection of alcohol free as Dan Murphy's?).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53+Martin+Place,+Sydney+NSW/The+Rocks+NSW/@-33.8635071,151.2041118,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12ae6a983c1cbf:0x1e4fd18cf6357ca1!2m2!1d151.2108938!2d-33.8679774!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12ae42b65d8fb3:0x5017d681632cd60!2m2!1d151.2080421!2d-33.859062!3e2?entry=ttu

Extraordinarily helpful. thank you!!!

Edited to add that this is a @Jim_Iain thread, and they welcome tangents. Jim and Iain are super nice folks, too. 

Edited by MamaFej

It took me a few days, but I finally finished your review!  As always, wonderful photos and writing that made one feel that they were right there with you!  Please, please, please never stop doing these!  I know its a lot of work for you, but you bring so much enjoyment to so many of us-especially those whose travel days are over.

Thanks so much again and I can't wait for your next adventure!

Claudia

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 12:56 PM, MamaFej said:

Y'all are awesome!!

Good idea to check with your doctor just to make sure.

I think it should be OK as NA Wines generally have about the same alcohol content as Orange Juice which is caused by natural fermentation.   It is amazing that even Wheat Bread contains alcohol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good idea to check with your doctor just to make sure.

I think it should be OK as NA Wines generally have about the same alcohol content as Orange Juice which is caused by natural fermentation.   It is amazing that even Wheat Bread contains alcohol

The monks referred to bread as liquid bread.  Grain, water and yeast.

Makers Mark developed their bill mash by baking bread.   They figured if the bread tasted good and had the taste they were looking for their  bourbon should taste the same.  It shortened their time of testing recipes by the 2 to 4 years that it takes to age bourbon. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There are many lounges to use on the QM2.   Our favorite was the Commodore Club but we should have tried the others.   Sir. Samuels has great coffees, teas and hot chocolate.   They also have pastries and light sandwiches.

IMG_0842.jpeg

Yum .... I can't wait.   those lemon tarts look incredible. 

I was also reading about the Godiva Tea at a surcharge... looks incredible.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, miched said:

The monks referred to bread as liquid bread.  Grain, water and yeast.

Makers Mark developed their bill mash by baking bread.   They figured if the bread tasted good and had the taste they were looking for their  bourbon should taste the same.  It shortened their time of testing recipes by the 2 to 4 years that it takes to age bourbon. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

And I thank them several times a week....!  (especially for the 101 bottling).  😁

On 9/24/2023 at 5:50 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was eventually able to get my audio  books back by deleting the Books App and deleting the Books data and then re-uploading them to my phone.    I do have way too many (138 books). 

In the meantime  I was able to download a book using Hoopala from my library.  

I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro Max and it is suppose to ship between 9/24 and 9/26 so hopefully I can just set up everything fresh real soon.

I then set up the Upgrade Chain.    I move Iain to my iPhone 14 Pro Max and our daughter get's Iain's and one of the Grand-kids gets Iain's 

Our granddaughter is very excited. She’s getting my 13 ProMax as her 7 isn’t holding a charge. I’m waiting for my 15 ProMax to be delivered. 

19 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

They look like they could feed a family of four.  

Now you've got me missing the lemon tarts from Cafe al Bacio. 

I agree.... I like the tiny ones at al Bacio as they are just the right size to pop in your mouth for a quick lemon tart fix.    I guess I would have to force myself to eat the WHOLE THING.   LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3