Comparing Crystal and Silversea

tipsygirl

So far there is one review of the new Crystal - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=704902

Key points:

Generally a lack of engagement by management and officers with guests who are not known

Apparent two tier service levels with regular known guests receiving warmer service and more indulged

Overall this was a very enjoyable quality cruise experience on a 20 year old ship, which is partially refurbished. This surprised us as it doesn’t quite match what the launch publicity and “influencers” would have you believe. It was good, but not exceptional, and in our opinion no better than the other luxury lines.

This review summarizes it very well. We felt the two tier service levels too - apparently, to feel "like family", you need to sail with them at least 5-10 times.

Thank you, but no thank you..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless it is a classic car, I don't drive 25 year old cars, would not knowingly fly on 25 year old planes and certainly would not cruise on a 25 year old ships regardless of the refurbishing that was done. That goes for, SS, Regent, Seabourn and the "new" Crystal. All you need is a few days on the Nova to appreciate what I am talking about.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would also guess that these first-season Crystal cruises are “old home week” with crew glad to see old friends back onboard. That might explain some of the “two tier” feeling. 

Yes, but we had a similar feeling when sailing on the Old Crystal back in 2019. Seeing the cruise director so friendly and social with so many guests while completely ignoring us was a bit wired. We still had a great time, and would gladly return if they had reasonable prices, but this is something to be aware of. We haven't experienced this on any other line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Unless it is a classic car, I don't drive 25 year old cars, would not knowingly fly on 25 year old planes and certainly would not cruise on a 25 year old ships regardless of the refurbishing that was done. That goes for, SS, Regent, Seabourn and the "new" Crystal. All you need is a few days on the Nova to appreciate what I am talking about.

It only took me 2 days on Celebrity Edge to appreciate the oldest ships on the X fleet.  Not everyone wants new and shiny or needs tons of restaurants. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I will be on the Nova on Sept. 29. I will be cruising with good friends. Is that OK with you?????

Having just gotten off the Nova, we loved it and I hope you enjoy it also. We get back on in Nov. so please leave some caviar for us!!

• Like 3

I think the difference here is just how in love with it the  Crystal 'influencers' with it are that newbies assume it will be just as lovely all round for them; the aficionados on  SS and Seabourn don''t gush as much, which raises expectations.  It seemed a well rounded review.

• Like 4

Yes having read the Crystal board to see their response to the "new" Crystal I was amazed at the tone. Here on the SS board even us hard liners are just so reserved in comparison.

The come backs that you see here from some of the Old Crystal cruisers are typically what's seen on the Crystal boards if someone doesn't agree that Crystal is near perfection.

Has convinced me we will never sail Crystal. We loved SS on our first Explorer cruise and have seen no reason to change as we still feel at home whenever we board one of the SS ships.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

That will be no problem at all as I don't eat caviar. Thanks but no thanks to salty slime.

Congratulations! Black caviar that has been considered one of the most luxury and delicious foods for centuries, has been just downgraded to "salty slime".

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

Yes having read the Crystal board to see their response to the "new" Crystal I was amazed at the tone. Here on the SS board even us hard liners are just so reserved in comparison.

The come backs that you see here from some of the Old Crystal cruisers are typically what's seen on the Crystal boards if someone doesn't agree that Crystal is near perfection.

Has convinced me we will never sail Crystal. We loved SS on our first Explorer cruise and have seen no reason to change as we still feel at home whenever we board one of the SS ships.

We feel the same. And I actually have to thank Crystal for raising their already crazy 2024 prices by another 20%, it probably sealed the decision not to sail on Crystal.

• Like 3

I have sailed OC and was definitely not made to feel ‘one of the family’. 
As a solo I found it wasn’t easy to have a good dining experience, I didn’t like the small cabin, and I absolutely hated the narrow and cramped-feeling bathroom. 

One and done for Crystal for me. 

Just reached 500 days with SS, ‘nuff said. 

• Like 2

Just now, jollyjones said:

I have sailed OC and was definitely not made to feel ‘one of the family’. 
As a solo I found it wasn’t easy to have a good dining experience, I didn’t like the small cabin, and I absolutely hated the narrow and cramped-feeling bathroom. 

One and done for Crystal for me. 

Just reached 500 days with SS, ‘nuff said. 

Interesting perspective. I had one cruise with Crystal during Covid and thought it was fine but liked many things about Viking better. Now found an itinerary and ship (Ray) with SS that makes me excited to try this for the first time.

Interesting back and forth. We have sailed SS twice and Crystal more times. Both have positives and negatives. Loved the food, service entertainment  and enrichment on Crystal and loved the service and cabins on SS. Would sail both depending and have a cruise booked on Ray. Thought the bread and rolls on SS were truly awful but that’s not a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Of course none of the other luxury lines have guests with "blind loyalty"! You see it here all the time.

Guests certainly have blind loyalty and there is no harm in that. What is disappointing is when service from crew or company is modified based on that loyalty (outside of a loyalty program of course). I haven’t cruised on the new Crystal yet I am only going off of the review that was posted. 

7 minutes ago, Joywrk said:

Interesting back and forth. We have sailed SS twice and Crystal more times. Both have positives and negatives. Loved the food, service entertainment  and enrichment on Crystal and loved the service and cabins on SS. Would sail both depending and have a cruise booked on Ray. Thought the bread and rolls on SS were truly awful but that’s not a deal breaker for me.

We are also booked on Ray and I hope you a right about the bread! Usually I gain weight due to all the delicious bread, if it’s bad maybe I can maintain!! 😃

On 9/9/2023 at 8:11 AM, lincslady said:

Serenity apparently only has  150 passengers on board at present.  If they want to keep 'afloat' it is to be hoped that situation will be remedied.  

Not surprised. They alienated a lot of former loya crystal cruisers with their ridiculous unexceptional initiative. No one I know wants to return 

• Like 1

I think the very pronounced loyalty to OC was possible since there were only two ships, that weren’t all that different. There were no Whisper or Dawn type of questions to be had. And much easier to get to know the crew since they were on only two ships (OK, three with the Endeavor). On other lines, the crew you see on Whisper you might never see on the Dawn. I’m very interested to see how Crystal incorporates several new ships into their portfolio. 

• Like 1

Reading this thread has been interesting, because people are mostly comparing a non existent cruise line with an existing cruise line. Crystal went bankrupt and no longer exists, so what is the point in comparisons?  The new Crystal has kept the name, but the owners and operators are completely different.  A few members are posting real comparisons, but they a very few.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Congratulations! Black caviar that has been considered one of the most luxury and delicious foods for centuries, has been just downgraded to "salty slime".

Everyone is told that caviar is a luxury good, so they feel they must like it.  To me, it's a case of 'the emperor's new clothes.'  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Power said:

Reading this thread has been interesting, because people are mostly comparing a non existent cruise line with an existing cruise line. Crystal went bankrupt and no longer exists, so what is the point in comparisons?  The new Crystal has kept the name, but the owners and operators are completely different.  A few members are posting real comparisons, but they a very few.

I have been on the "new" Crystal, so my points are valid, well, to me, obviously not to too many here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I feel that the problem is, Texas Tillie, that there are just a few fervent Crystal admirers who do seem to be unable to admit that Crystal is not superior in all departments to other lines.  No line, including Crystal, is the best at absolutely everything.   Possibly that judgment is unfair, but it has become  CC  'folklore' over the years, and is a hard reputation to remove from groupthink.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I have been on the "new" Crystal, so my points are valid, well, to me, obviously not to too many here. 

Of course they are. But apparently not too many agree with you, based on the current load of 20% on the current Serenity sailing.. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Everyone is told that caviar is a luxury good, so they feel they must like it.  To me, it's a case of 'the emperor's new clothes.'  

Well, everyone is told that wine is good, so they feel they must like it, but me and my wife don't touch. I feel the same about sushi. So what? But at least we respect other people's choices and don't call it raw rice with raw tuna..

To me, caviar is a real delicacy because I like it not because it's considered a luxury product. I don't like many things that considered luxury products.