Why is RCL pricing higher than Celebrity?

chiguypaul

I'm Diamond on RCL. Have been on Celebrity a few times. I'm looking at booking a Celebrity sailing in NA for March 2024. I only look at interior rooms. I've noticed on several sailings with equal sail lengths that RCL is coming in more expensive on ships like the Quantum and Oasis classes compared to Celebrity ships. I am comparing Oasis and Symphony - NOT newer ships. In one case, I'm comparing to the Ascent in one instance, but there are others where Celebrity is lower. Does this surprise anyone? It is because I'm looking at interior rooms that Celebrity is cheaper since most on Celebrity are you looking for "nicer" rooms? Just curious if anyone has general thoughts about my findings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

I'm Diamond on RCL. Have been on Celebrity a few times. I'm looking at booking a Celebrity sailing in NA for March 2024. I only look at interior rooms. I've noticed on several sailings with equal sail lengths that RCL is coming in more expensive on ships like the Quantum and Oasis classes compared to Celebrity ships. I am comparing Oasis and Symphony - NOT newer ships. In one case, I'm comparing to the Ascent in one instance, but there are others where Celebrity is lower. Does this surprise anyone? It is because I'm looking at interior rooms that Celebrity is cheaper since most on Celebrity are you looking for "nicer" rooms? Just curious if anyone has general thoughts about my findings.

I've often found Royal more expensive then many other options including X.   They do have much higher overhead on their ships due to the experience and signature amenities.  I can't imagine what having a zip line across an open deck adds to the liability policy, much less an ice skating rink and a high dive show.  

It's huge demand, particularly for bigger ships like Royal has, with newer ones that families want to go on, so they adjust accordingly. If you think that's high, check out Disney prices, for the same reason--families willing to spend more for travel. It's reflected in the RCL stock price, which doubled this year, and so Royal and Celebrity have to produce the profits to justify it. RCL CEO has explicitly said he wants cruise travel to be closer in price to resort travel, so they're trying to maximize revenue through fares, packages and excursions before a cruise, and especially on board, where spending has been at high levels across lines. 

• Like 1

we have four cruises currently booked, two on celebrity and two on rccl...On all four we have mid-ship balcony cabins..the average fee  per day for the cabin including port charges etc. was $307 for celebrity and $277 for rccl so at least for us celebrity is more expensive..Not sure that it is currently  any better than rccl  based on recent cuts, but we are savvy shoppers and know when and how to get bargains on cruises..still cheaper than all inclusive land based vacas...wish everyone well. just sayin'

• Like 1

We are "RCL-curious" and have attempted to sail with RCL not because they are a good fit for us (we cruise as a couple) but just to tick the box and see what an RCL ship is like.

Whenever I look, they always seem to be more expensive for us. We book insides (maybe a balcony to splurge) and take whatever version of "all included" the cruise line  offers to get our best estimate with a beverages and gratuities included. I think that is where we lose out with RCL as it seemed crazy expensive to get a beverage package. I find the same thing with CCL pricing.

1 hour ago, George C said:

I know suites are way cheaper on rccl , average suite is 4K on celebrity, you can get a suite for under 3k on rccl

Any suite on Royal at 3k must be on a short 3/4 night cruise. Maybe Vision class on a 7 nighter? I definitely would not say their suite product is way cheaper by any means, especially once you get past Junior Suites that offer nothing other than a little more space. On newer Royal ships their JS product is priced nearly even with Celebrity Sky Suites. Then you get to pay $60-100 pp/pd extra for drinks if you want a package and another $20 pp/pd for WiFi. 

35 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Any suite on Royal at 3k must be on a short 3/4 night cruise. Maybe Vision class on a 7 nighter? I definitely would not say their suite product is way cheaper by any means, especially once you get past Junior Suites that offer nothing other than a little more space. On newer Royal ships their JS product is priced nearly even with Celebrity Sky Suites. Then you get to pay $60-100 pp/pd extra for drinks if you want a package and another $20 pp/pd for WiFi. 

I am booked on harmony grand suite with UDP all for less than 3k this November out of Galveston, next year same cruise is still under 3k , I get a free 3 hour happy hour plus 5 free drinks since I am diamond plus. Celebrity is more than 4K for sky suite for same week , this is a 7 day cruise. Grand suite on oasis class has free WiFi.

I've always wanted to try RCL but never have because in every cruise we have priced out, they were the most expensive. Celebrity used to offer a good value with the included drink package. I'm not so sure if they continue to be a good value with all of the threads about pricing increases. 

• Like 1

In October and November 2022 we did a number of comparison bookings on RCL, Celebrity, and then anything else, for what was left for the holidays at Thanksgiving and December in the Caribbean.  We were looking for 3 people.  Thankfully we did not book because the weather was mostly rain and clouds between Thanksgiving and New Years.  We were looking for suites or at least a defined product similar to what we HAD experienced in Retreat. 

We found RCL to be higher prices for anything comparable to Celebrity, and attributed that to the fare covering more quantity of included entertainment, slides, food, etc.  Much of it sounds fine, but we may not use, or didn't want to compete with 5k other people for.   But, also the ships were full for holiday periods and those are in demand more on RCL or other lines compared to Celebrity, and the fancier lines.  The frustrating part was we could never figure out what RCL would cost exactly for all basics, including wifi (24/7), drinks not obtained at a free inclusive food venue, or if Coastal Kitchen was edible or even going to be available for certain rooms.  Again, we came from a Retreat experience and liked the product, simplified choices, and treated OBC like it was part of the sum total of the experience to provide for speciality dining or a beach experience at a port.  RCL was intriguing to us from a it would be okay for a few days, but we also realized the ships were inward focused with not many views of the ocean.  Many the the costal kitchens face a sport court or mini golf.

Now, RC wants to drive onboard revenue from Celebrity passengers plus raise fares.  So, the comparison is likely not the same going forward.  

For NCL Haven we had trouble wrapping are mind around how a brown dark room and interior pool would be desirable, and the upper deck pool on some ships seemed off limits to families.  Price seemed about the same as Retreat or a tad less since this was remnant rooms, but this before many price hikes of the base fares.  

For MSC we couldn't wrap our mind around the rest of the ship experience, vs Yacht Club.  But, came out cheaper than Celebrity, as is known from that time period. 

In any event, we decided on a land based resort with many pools, Lazy River, kids club, and made to order food.  We were land locked, and had some weather issues that the ships had too.  We came out well under any cruise, and had just as nice of a time.

And, off subject, we have recently been at some other land based resorts, with activities that would put an RCL ship to shame (golf, archery, multiple pools, climbing, horses, shooting, live music, fireworks, etc.).  Renovated room, daily housekeeping, plenty of plugs, free waters, wifi included and excellent, and more.  Total per day was cheaper than a cruise, and no Effy or retread Johnny Rockets in site. 

Edited by Cap_D

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I've always wanted to try RCL but never have because in every cruise we have priced out, they were the most expensive. Celebrity used to offer a good value with the included drink package. I'm not so sure if they continue to be a good value with all of the threads about pricing increases. 

celebrity just announced that as of oct 4, 2023 that their AI plan will not longer include prepaid gratuities....just keeps getting better with them, less for more....nice plan if you can get away with it....now if they could put a jeff ruby restaurant onboard life would improve.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hobbsey said:

I can't imagine what having a zip line across an open deck adds to the liability policy, much less an ice skating rink and a high dive show.  

None of which I want to be on a ship I'm on.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

According to all you experts, price is driven by supply and demand. The pricing says more people think RCL is a better deal. Not everybody is willing to pay for the drink packages, internet, or even the obc.

If only it were that simple. RCI frequently has kids sail free or reduced 3/4 person rates that make it cheaper for families than Celebrity since they rarely offer a discount targeted at the 3/4 passenger. A lot of people choose RCI because they want the circus at sea. Then they turn around and buy Royal's expensive drink package and spend a fortune on activities and upgrades. A lot of people think Celebrity is too stuffy and boring so it's not even on their radar. There is more to the equation than just the bottom line price. 

• Like 2

I’m not upset at all lol

love royal and close to diamond plus but for some crazy reason X is cheaper compared to Royal for 2024 and 23.  My gf and I jumped to X and we loved and they now sail to Coca cay so why go back to royal ( at least for now). I also book interior and no matter how I change itinerary or month of sailing X is cheaper. 

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

I’m not upset at all lol

love royal and close to diamond plus but for some crazy reason X is cheaper compared to Royal for 2024 and 23.  My gf and I jumped to X and we loved and they now sail to Coca cay so why go back to royal ( at least for now). I also book interior and no matter how I change itinerary or month of sailing X is cheaper. 

Always look at your options. We  too are close to Diamond Plus and plan on making it in 2025.  Will never get the top tier in Celebrity.

We like Celebrity for quiet sailings and also like Royal when with grandkids or a large group.

• Like 1

I’m not upset at all lol

x = Assisted living facility 

with entertainment 🤣

• Like 1