Egypt Visa Requirements

DanceMomma

According to the government of Canada’s website, as of October 1st, ALL Canadians entering Egypt must have a visa that is obtained from either the Egyptian Embassy (Ottawa) or Consulate (Montreal).

I’m booked on an Oceania cruise for late October that has two stops in Egypt.  When I phoned Oceania, they were aware of the upcoming requirement, and told me that, for cruise ship passengers only, nothing will change for Canadians. 
Can anyone confirm this?

What have people been told from other cruise lines?

2 hours ago, DanceMomma said:

According to the government of Canada’s website, as of October 1st, ALL Canadians entering Egypt must have a visa that is obtained from either the Egyptian Embassy (Ottawa) or Consulate (Montreal).

I’m booked on an Oceania cruise for late October that has two stops in Egypt.  When I phoned Oceania, they were aware of the upcoming requirement, and told me that, for cruise ship passengers only, nothing will change for Canadians. 
Can anyone confirm this?

As @LHT28 says, there's an active thread that you should read. 

As to your question, there has been nothing on Egyptian or Canadian government websites suggesting that cruise passengers will be exempt from the changes. Oceania's representative  misspoke. Note in the other thread that Azamara won't allow anyone without a visa to embark on cruises starting in October.

4 hours ago, DanceMomma said:

Can anyone confirm this?

DanceMomma,

Maybe you tell us what happen after your cruise.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cruising on NCL in November with several stops in Egypt. The NCL site indicates Canadians will need a visa to fly into Egypt but not to enter by cruise ship. I think we need to see what happens over the course of the coming weeks since this all comes into effect on October 1st. 

11 hours ago, willing292 said:

Somewhere I read that the new visa requirements and processes will be published on or fire October 1, 2023.  

There was an updated post on FB yesterday with the most current application form. Also, earlier last week there was notice that you have to have an appointment to go to the embassy in Ottawa now. I've been following closely because I have a daughter who lives in Cairo, and it is not an easy task now to get a visa to go and visit. Also, significantly more expensive.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 6:38 PM, SeaandSky5 said:

Cruising on NCL in November with several stops in Egypt. The NCL site indicates Canadians will need a visa to fly into Egypt but not to enter by cruise ship. I think we need to see what happens over the course of the coming weeks since this all comes into effect on October 1st. 

Hi, Just curious as to your experience in travelling to Egypt in November.  I am set on doing a cruise Oct 2024 and am concerned about the visas, there is so much conflicting information! Thanks!!

On 9/5/2023 at 12:42 PM, Fouremco said:

As @LHT28 says, there's an active thread that you should read. 

As to your question, there has been nothing on Egyptian or Canadian government websites suggesting that cruise passengers will be exempt from the changes. Oceania's representative  misspoke. Note in the other thread that Azamara won't allow anyone without a visa to embark on cruises starting in October.

Hello, I am following up to enquire about your experience while cruising to Egypt last fall.  What ended up happening regarding the visa?  Thanks

30 minutes ago, gssmom said:

Hello, I am following up to enquire about your experience while cruising to Egypt last fall.  What ended up happening regarding the visa?  Thanks

You may be confusing me with another poster as I never travelled to Egypt last fall. However, as far as I can see, there is no change to the requirements that were implemented last October by the Egyptian government. You must obtain a visa from the Egyptian embassy in Ottawa before your departure; an e-visa is not available to those travelling on a Canadian passport. Also, your passport must be valid for a period of 6 months beyond your date of departure from Egypt.

I strongly recommend that you check with the embassy. There seem to have been a number of changes to contact numbers for the embassy, but you could try (613) 368-4931.

1 hour ago, gssmom said:

Unfortunately, 2 days before our cruise departed, they switched ports.  Port Said and Alexandria became Santorini and Gythion.   After spending close to $1,000 on visas for the family (including photos and postage), we never reached Egypt.

1 hour ago, gssmom said:

Hi there, we made the trip to Ottawa and applied for our visas in person. We had been told that we should be going to Montreal but I was able (at the time) to make an appointment in Ottawa. We submitted our applications and left our passports paid $205 each and were told told to return 2 weeks later after 3pm. We made the 6 hour trip again to pick up our visas on the day and at the time we were told. My husband was then advised that he was not going to be given his visa - no explanation, no appeal process, no refund, no nothing. We were shocked. My husband is retired, has never had any brush with the law, has travelled all over the world and has never been denied a visa before. I was given my visa. When we returned home, we contacted an immigration lawyer who suggested we contact Global Affairs in Ottawa and lodge a complaint, to contact CBC and let them know the Embassy was using citizens as pawns in their battle with Ottawa. We opted to not do this as we were still hopeful that we wouldn’t require the visa to board (which we did not). Two days prior to arrival in Egypt, our passports were collected and stamped. We had no problem- both of us- getting that stamp and being allowed to port in Egypt. But, there was so much anxiety before we got there. I had already decided if my husband couldn’t leave the ship, I wasn’t going either. (He didn’t agree) but in the end, it was fine. Stress level off the charts though. We also didn’t receive our visa for Saudi Arabia until 2 days before we arrived. After this experience, we’ve decided that we will choose our itineraries based on visa requirements and will not put ourselves through that again. 

SeaandSky, your experience with the Egyptian Embassy mirrored ours, except we had to go to the  Montreal Consulate. Over $1000 spent in fees, transportation and lodging, and in the end I had a visa and DHs was denied without explanation. We asked our MP to investigate, and his first question was if DH had been in the military or federal government  service. When we said yes, he said there's your answer. They had had many similar cases reported. We were going on a land tour, so had to cancel it.  

Glad to hear you were still able to do your cruise. 

1 minute ago, mom says said:

SeaandSky, your experience with the Egyptian Embassy mirrored ours, except we had to go to the  Montreal Consulate. Over $1000 spent in fees, transportation and lodging, and in the end I had a visa and DHs was denied without explanation. We asked our MP to investigate, and his first question was if DH had been in the military or federal government  service. When we said yes, he said there's your answer. They had had many similar cases reported. We were going on a land tour, so had to cancel it.  

Wow. That explains it then. My husband is retired police officer. Sorry you had to cancel. 

11 hours ago, mom says said:

Since we are both ex military and my husband now works for the RCMP, I think for the moment Egypt is not somewhere we want to go. It’s a pity, because a Nile cruise was looking appealing, but there is a big world out there, and that would be too much stress.

Thank you for the information! These boards, especially the Canadian one, are useful.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is booked for a land trip in  April for Egypt and a Nile cruise.   He is retired from the Federal Government.  After reading these posts I am wondering if he will be approved for a Visa.   I am starting to worry he might not get a Visa to visit Egypt.   

21 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

My husband is booked for a land trip in  April for Egypt and a Nile cruise.   He is retired from the Federal Government.  After reading these posts I am wondering if he will be approved for a Visa.   I am starting to worry he might not get a Visa to visit Egypt.   

It’s possible. From what I see it’s more military and policing that seem to be the issues but you just never know. Has he already applied for his visa? 

Just now, mexico8 said:

We are out of the country and he will apply in early April when we get back home.   Keeping my 

2 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

We are out of the country and he will apply in early April when we get back home.   Keeping my fingers crossed.......

Not sure if you’re aware but unless something has changed, Canadians must apply at either the Embassy or Consulate for a visa. There is no way to apply online. You must either attend in person or send your application through mail or courier. Just want to be sure your husband has enough time to do this if his trip is in April. 

32 minutes ago, SeaandSky5 said:

You must either attend in person or send your application through mail or courier. Just want to be sure your husband has enough time to do this if his trip is in April. 

Fortunately, they live only a 20-30 minute drive from the embassy in Ottawa.

Just now, Fouremco said:

Excellent!! Unfortunately, we were a 6 hour drive away. 
Hope all goes well!!

• Like 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

Thanks for posting that info.  (We are in Mexico until end of March).   He will apply as soon as we get back and he has his photo taken for the Visa application.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 5:30 PM, DanceMomma said:

Unfortunately, 2 days before our cruise departed, they switched ports.  Port Said and Alexandria became Santorini and Gythion.   After spending close to $1,000 on visas for the family (including photos and postage), we never reached Egypt.

What a shame about all the time and money wasted and then to have the ports changed.

12 hours ago, willing292 said:

Can you tell me where you got the application for the visa for Egypt? Although we cancelled our upcoming tour for this spring, I would still like to visit there.  Thanks.

We live close to the Ottawa embassy so my husband went in person to get the Visa.