Upgrading drink package when on board

koolforkatz

We sail with the Koningsdam on Saturday and currently have the HIA package. Our plan was to upgrade when on board to the elite drink package. I have been reading mixed messages on here now though as to whether that can be done. I just was off the phone with a HAL rep and was assured that this could be done on board and in fact cannot be done ahead of time. 

What have people's experiences been recently? We have lots of OBC so if we had to could just pay for individual drink upgrades but it would be a lot easier if we can just upgrade the package. Thanks!

Just now, koolforkatz said:

We sail with the Koningsdam on Saturday and currently have the HIA package. Our plan was to upgrade when on board to the elite drink package. I have been reading mixed messages on here now though as to whether that can be done. I just was off the phone with a HAL rep and was assured that this could be done on board and in fact cannot be done ahead of time. 

What have people's experiences been recently? We have lots of OBC so if we had to could just pay for individual drink upgrades but it would be a lot easier if we can just upgrade the package. Thanks!

Recent experiences (not my own, but multiple people's) are that it cannot be upgraded, even going up the change of command to supervisors or higher. With the HIA-and-more (and OBC), you will be better off financially just paying the overage and 18%, than paying $10pppd to upgrade -- most likely! Just check your account every few days that you have only been charged the overage+, and not the whole drink.

• Like 1

Thanks @crystalspin. That's what I had read on here too. However, the HAL rep I spoke to insisted we could upgrade on board. There are a couple of wines my husband really likes and 2 or 3 glasses of them would definitely make it worthwhile upgrading. If we can...

And yes, I would prefer not to have to keep checking our account either 😉

45 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

That's what I had read on here too. However, the HAL rep I spoke to insisted we could upgrade on board. There are a couple of wines my husband really likes and 2 or 3 glasses of them would definitely make it worthwhile upgrading. If we can...

Well, if you want to try -- Find a bartender (who can advance to their supervisor) -- not bar steward -- before either of you has used the HIA at all. That was the was it was alleged to be possible before!

Remember you both have to upgrade. But OBC should apply! 

Come back and let the Board know your experience!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Thanks @crystalspin. That's what I had read on here too. However, the HAL rep I spoke to insisted we could upgrade on board. There are a couple of wines my husband really likes and 2 or 3 glasses of them would definitely make it worthwhile upgrading. If we can...

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones:  You can't always blieve what you're told

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones:  You can't always blieve what you're told

Or to quote them: You can't always get what you want!  Even if a HAL agent tells you that you can.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 1:18 PM, crystalspin said:

Well, if you want to try -- Find a bartender (who can advance to their supervisor) -- not bar steward -- before either of you has used the HIA at all. That was the was it was alleged to be possible before!

Remember you both have to upgrade. But OBC should apply! 

Come back and let the Board know your experience!

@koolforkatz this is exactly my experience on upgrading drink package: only on 1st day AND before you use it all. See a Bartender only (not Steward, not Guest Services).

Unless you must have the wine ypu mentioned, paying the price difference usually is better financially. 

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:06 AM, koolforkatz said:

Based on my last few cruises I would say don't bother even if you can. With hollands policy of only charging the difference in cost of the drink I did not see where I would save enough to make the change. On my last 25-day cruise I paid less than $10 total for the dinks not covered by the normal package.

• Like 2

On our July cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, with HIA, I asked about upgrading the beverage package. The response was that because HIA bundles a number of perks at a discount, it cannot be "unbundled" to allow for an upgrade of a single component.  It was a definitive "no, we won't do that with Have It All". 

Edited by Zukini

2 hours ago, Zukini said:

...because HIA bundles a number of perks at a discount, it cannot be "unbundled" to allow for an upgrade of a single component.  It was a definitive "no, we won't do that with Have It All". 

And yet they will do it with the Surf internet to Premium, and at anytime (pro-rated) in the cruise. As several have mentioned (and I have calculated for ourselves), HAL would make more money if they let people upgrade with the old policy of $11.80 pppd for the entire cruise from day one only.

It would take 5 $15 drinks between two people in the cabin, every single day, to break even on the upgrade. Vs paying $4.72 for each of those drinks for the overage.

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure I saw upon boarding this week it could be done upon boarding before the package was ever used.  

the upgraded package covers up to $15 instead of $11.  It would take a lot of glasses a day to make up the package difference when you only pay the amount above $11(or $15)

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, koolforkatz said:

We could not upgrade last year on the Oosterdam. I went as far as the food and beverage manager and was told the signature HIA drinks package could not be upgraded. I never believe anymore what a HAL or Celebrity rep tells me as 90% of the time they are wrong. The only thing I can say about cruise line reps is that they are consistent on being inconsistent. Remember the new policy on drinks over the package cap only will cost the difference plus 18% tip. This needs to be balanced with the difference to upgrade. A drink at $12 will only cost $1+.18 for the tip or $1.18.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Thanks all. I will see how we make our when we board the Koningsdam tomorrow! If they have Miraval on board and a good cab sav it is easily worth upgrading. If not, no biggie. 

I will be interested too, we board the Koingsdam in November with the standard HIA.

On Koningsdam now and happy to report we were able to upgrade to elite package no problem at all on embarkation. When we got on ship went to Ocean Bar and they directed us to fellow directly across from them in atrium selling wine packages. Easy. 

Also, for anyone sailing soon this is the best lineup of musicians we have ever seen in BB Kings. They’re amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

On Koningsdam now and happy to report we were able to upgrade to elite package no problem at all on embarkation. When we got on ship went to Ocean Bar and they directed us to fellow directly across from them in atrium selling wine packages. Easy. 

Also, for anyone sailing soon this is the best lineup of musicians we have ever seen in BB Kings. They’re amazing. 

What was the cost of the upgrade?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, kenphy said:

Does anyone know how to find out if Maker’s Mark (for example) is included in the HIA package?

It is. Maker's Mark has been part of the Signature Beverage Package for as long as I can remember.